• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

woah, hang on. Without Sense the TV app wouldn't even work? That's bonkers.

Although at the same time, an S4 without Touchwiz loses pretty much any benefit over the One.

Stock may be quicker, but it does a hell of a lot less.

YEUP!!..I'll say it again...Stock android is so overrated!

Especially when someone will not be rooting and flashing Roms with their phone. It's so limiting.

that's why there's cyangenmod to put lil bit more zig to stock android.

All those updates doesn't do much either because its just fixing stuff that shouldn't be an issues in the first place. Example, bad battery life with the gnex/nexus 4.....why do you need to have an update to make it have decent battery life? they should have had decent battery life to begin with.

I can live with a non rooted Sense or touchwiz, but none rooted stock android, I would rather have an Iphone.

Achtius

I agree. I think Zoe/Video Highlight is the main factor that made me want an HTC One. Without it, I would of probably went with..a nexus.....

Between Nexus 4 and HTC one, I would still stick with HTC one.

seem like Cnet confirms that the One google edition is real and coming in the summer(thanks blinkfeed..)

who needs the Nexus line anymore?

S4 and One google edition is pretty much R.I.P Nexus.

Volotaire

So my uncle recently go the phone and I had a little spin for about 10 minutes.

Great:

-It does look beautiful, no doubt about it. beats Audio labelling is a shame.

-Its speed, only really tested menus but no lag was really apparent

-The screen is just gorgeous, great to look at. Movies/1080p content looks stunning.

-Those speakers were great. Very impressed by the position and the sound, for a phone.

-Minimalist UI

-Capactive buttons seemed responsive as well.

Not so Great:

-Although the phone looks beautiful, the ergonomics are a bit akward for the volume rocker and power button

-Blinkfeed with social networks seems a bit spotty in showing random photos, would like more customization there please, although I'm a Twitter only user

-Photos are generally OK, not mindblowing, tested in indoor conditions , lighted

Not too bummed by picture quality, not the most important aspect to me, but as a bit of a tech lover, it's a bit of a shame.

I still will be waiting for a possible 64gb version in UK/Nexus version/Phablet version.

Great phone, very impressive.

leng jai

Thoughts after a few days:

- Boomsound is a game changer. It's easily good enough for casual listening and makes watching videos infinitely more enjoyable.

- The remote app is genius and has a better guide than the one on my actual TV.

- Aesthetics wise it blows the S4 out of the water. It looks llike an oversize 3GS in comparison.

- Android completely destroys iOS.

- Battery life is in line with what I expected. Not awful but not amazing either.

- The screen is worth the price of admission alone. Huge upgrade over the iPhone 4S.

- The camera lens isn't recessed at all which makes the phone basically unusable without a case.

- Build quality I'd garbage. The plastic used in the middle stains if you look at it the wrong way and looks terribly easy to scuff. The cutting on all the ports are sub par as well - far from smooth.

- The gap is a real issue and looks to be quite widespread. Mine has one in the top speaker grill and also in the bottom right corner. Not a big deal but it looks poor and it remains to be seen if the gap widens overtime.

- Not a fan of the power and volume button placement. The power button in particular feels like it does not protrude out enough making it hard to press one handed.

Without the poor quality control this would be a 10/10 phone IMO.

Volotaire

Thoughts after a few days:

- Boomsound is a game changer. It's easily good enough for casual listening and makes watching videos infinitely more enjoyable.

- The remote app is genius and has a better guide than the one on my actual TV.

- Aesthetics wise it blows the S4 out of the water. It looks llike an oversize 3GS in comparison.

- Android completely destroys iOS.

- Battery life is in line with what I expected. Not awful but not amazing either.

- The screen is worth the price of admission alone. Huge upgrade over the iPhone 4S.

- The camera lens isn't recessed at all which makes the phone basically unusable without a case.

- Build quality I'd garbage. The plastic used in the middle stains if you look at it the wrong way and looks terribly easy to scuff. The cutting on all the ports are sub par as well - far from smooth.

- The gap is a real issue and looks to be quite widespread. Mine has one in the top speaker grill and also in the bottom right corner. Not a big deal but it looks poor and it remains to be seen if the gap widens overtime.

- Not a fan of the power and volume button placement. The power button in particular feels like it does not protrude out enough making it hard to press one handed.

Without the poor quality control this would be a 10/10 phone IMO.

Send back for a new one?

leng jai

Send back for a new one?

I'm still considering that. Leaning towards just walking a case on it since it's not a naked friendly phone anyway. I've been looking on other forums and it seems that a lot of people are having the same issue so I'm not confident getting another one would alleviate all the issues anyway.

Volotaire

I'm still considering that. Leaning towards just walking a case on it since it's not a naked friendly phone anyway. I've been looking on other forums and it seems that a lot of people are having the same issue so I'm not confident getting another one would alleviate all the issues anyway.

I see, but I would say that the internet amplifies negativity much more than the good. It could be that the majority build quality are fine.

I'd say it's worth a shot.

I see, but I would say that the internet amplifies negativity much more than the good. It could be that the majority build quality are fine.

Or it could be that some people are more tolerant of some of these issues that they consider only minor. Personally I love the user experience on this phone but HTC clearly has some manufacturing issues to iron out. I'm on my second One, waiting for a third. The first had a sizable gap, and this one has awful call sound quality. Yeah that's bad luck but others I saw in stores also had gaps. Then there is the bad plastic and the uneven port cutouts full of burrs on some units (including both I've owned so far). Many other phones have had issues at launch but some of the One's are borderline amateurish, and the fact that one unit may be much worse than another makes this even more questionable.

I hope my third unit is better since I do love everything else about this phone.

leng jai

Or it could be that some people are more tolerant of some of these issues that they consider only minor. Personally I love the user experience on this phone but HTC clearly has some manufacturing issues to iron out. I'm on my second One, waiting for a third. The first had a sizable gap, and this one has awful call sound quality. Yeah that's bad luck but others I saw in stores also had gaps. Then there is the bad plastic and the uneven port cutouts full of burrs on some units (including both I've owned so far). Many other phones have had issues at launch but some of the One's are borderline amateurish, and the fact that one unit may be much worse than another makes this even more questionable.

I hope my third unit is better since I do love everything else about this phone.

I have to agree. To it just looks like this is the general substandard quality that all the first batch Ones were manufactured under. I've read stories of people going through every phone in the store and not finding a gap less. I'd wager that every single One in existence has poor cutting on the plastic too. It comes down to perspective. Put it this way - my mum would be extremely satisfied with it and would never even notice. Personally I expect better quality control for a phone I paid almost 800 bones for.

Volotaire

Ouch this makes me worried now.

Hopefully the further batches have a bit more consistency.

Pimpwerx

I guess I'm lucky, I got no build quality issues. Beautiful phone.

Anyway, I've got my dad switching from his iPhone to a Galaxy S4 next month, and my sister was gushing over my HTC One yesterday. I took some zoes of my nephew at the beach yesterday, and uploaded to FB, and I think that was the clincher. I have most of my family switching from iOS to Android now, or at least contemplating it. They're keeping their iPads though. LOL! PEACE.

jey_16

Banned
I'll be on my 4th one later this week, hopefully it's ok

1st - small gap at the top which I could live with but dust under the screen
2nd - accidentally sent me a black one in error, no issues but decided I liked silver better
3rd - gaps at the top and bottom as well as a few dead pixels

Picture quality has been pretty damn great in my experience. My wife (has an S3) and sister-in-law (iPhone 5) were both very impressed with the shots I was taking to the point of wanting to use my phone exclusively for pics on our trips.

BFIB

Thanks to some nice overtime, I had some extra cash in my pocket. Sold my GS3 for a nice sum of $325, picked this bad boy up over the weekend.

So far, so good. I keep finding reasons to pick up and hold it. Haven't had this feeling since my iPhone 3G. Speaking of which, this device, the way it contours into your hand, feels like holding a larger iPhone 3G.

Took some shots this weekend for memorial day. The pictures look good, but compared to my wife's S4, there's no comparison. But, it does take some nice shots, and its a nice replacement for my S3's camera.

HildyB

Thanks to some nice overtime, I had some extra cash in my pocket. Sold my GS3 for a nice sum of $325, picked this bad boy up over the weekend.

So far, so good. I keep finding reasons to pick up and hold it. Haven't had this feeling since my iPhone 3G. Speaking of which, this device, the way it contours into your hand, feels like holding a larger iPhone 3G.

Took some shots this weekend for memorial day. The pictures look good, but compared to my wife's S4, there's no comparison. But, it does take some nice shots, and its a nice replacement for my S3's camera.

Congrats! I find that the pictures always look amazing on the phone. But when I take them over to my computer and look at them in full res they tend to be full of noise and blurry when in sunlight. Overcast days and macro shots seem to be the best results for me. Little disappointed in that, but that is my only negative thing about this phone.

BFIB

Congrats! I find that the pictures always look amazing on the phone. But when I take them over to my computer and look at them in full res they tend to be full of noise and blurry when in sunlight. Overcast days and macro shots seem to be the best results for me. Little disappointed in that, but that is my only negative thing about this phone.

I understand HTC's thinking, which is that you are going to be using the photos for Facebook, etc.

The camera does take some pretty good shots. Colors are great, detail is pretty good. I'm just not sure why they didn't go with an 8MP. Cost I guess?

I understand HTC's thinking, which is that you are going to be using the photos for Facebook, etc.

The camera does take some pretty good shots. Colors are great, detail is pretty good. I'm just not sure why they didn't go with an 8MP. Cost I guess?

Ultra Pixel. They were banking on better low light being more important.

reKon

Banned
You guys have any camera tips? Should I be using night mode to get good low light pictures? Also, does tapping to focus help? I did that a lot on my Galaxy Nexus out of habit and I pulled of some decent shots. When is each mode appropriate? (when what a certain mode produce the best picture).

BFIB

Listening to some Pandora right now.

Without using my bluetooth speaker.

And it sounds just as loud. This phone is fucking incredible!

Volotaire

Had another spin on My uncle's phone for another 1 hour

-That speaker quality is immense, yes still a bit tinny, but damn good for a phone

-Very smooth experience through menus and browsers

-Games seem to run smoothly (tried Real Racing 3 and some emulators - legal)

- Love it when it gets warm, a nice heating source!

-Around the palms it feels great

- For a person with small hands, the phone size seems perfect

Bad

- Blinkfeed seems to bring up a lot of shit for categories e.g. for Games news, a big tile of Zumba Fitness 2 came up, needs more customize options.

- I feel like the phone could reduce bezel and make the screen wider, just something about it makes it look a tiny bit on the small side, nothing too significant

- Still a tiny bit bummed out about picture quailty

Goldrush

You guys have any camera tips? Should I be using night mode to get good low light pictures? Also, does tapping to focus help? I did that a lot on my Galaxy Nexus out of habit and I pulled of some decent shots. When is each mode appropriate? (when what a certain mode produce the best picture).

Not knowing any photography tips or methods, this is what I find so far:

- No Zoe for dark shot. It's absolutely awful at it.
- For really bright shots where the lights sometime drown out some details, the focus helps.
- HDR is great for when the subject is in a bright place, but facing away from the light source.
- Honestly cannot tell the different between night mode and normal.
- No clue about backlight. Never gave satisfactory result for me.

You have the latest phone firmware which improves the pictures slightly.

I don't see much improvement on night mode so majority of my shots are in auto. I usually hate using flash in any of my smart phone(including the pureview 808) but the One flash actually works really and doesn't over blow the pictures.

the biggest surprise for me was the front facing camere; its wide angle lens is very useful! You can actually fit a whole group and the background which is pretty amazing.

Finally got my (third) replacement One! Everything looks great, almost no gaps and the plastic is nice and well cut. And this entire ordeal got me 3 dropbox accounts, lol.

Love this phone.

Blackhead

Redarse
You have the latest phone firmware which improves the pictures slightly.

I don't see much improvement on night mode so majority of my shots are in auto. I usually hate using flash in any of my smart phone(including the pureview 808) but the One flash actually works really and doesn't over blow the pictures.

the biggest surprise for me was the front facing camere; its wide angle lens is very useful! You can actually fit a whole group and the background which is pretty amazing.

Would you post comparison shots with all your phones?

reKon

Banned
So far in my experience, the bulletproof kernel hasn't made a difference in battery life that I can really notice. It is nice that this kernel allows usb otg to work. I'm still very disappointed at the fact sixaxis won't work on a sense Rom. I don't want to switch to an aosp Rom and lose the camera software, but I may be left with no choice

Pimpwerx

My Poetic case came in today. It fits snug, and gives me more drop security than the Bear Motion. The volume rocker is mushier now, which is great for me, but might annoy some. I had cut my Bear Motion case to see how easy it would be to use the volume rocker. It made it too easy. I have a constant problem hitting the rocker on other phones, and this one is no different. The Poetic case makes it easy for my to hold the phone again without accidentally putting it on vibrate. I'd recommend this case. PEACE.

Volotaire

Candy colors are great and all HTC, but I really just want a 64GB version on my carrier without paying out the ass upfront for a dev edition.

Yeh I'm still waiting if a possible 64gb version will come to the UK. It's looking even more unlikely with all these phablet and different colors starting to appear.

leng jai

Those mocks look awful.

Auto rotate is annoying he the hell out of me but I can't seem to figure out how to manually change the screen orientation...

Top Bottom