• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

It makes me a little nervous as well.
Yeah I've only had my phone for 2 weeks or so I could prob just pay a restocking fee and swap it out.

I mean I really like it but I don't know if I should keep it after those news.

If HTC goes down then resale value is a huge concern for me when I upgrade in 2 years and sell this phone. I got $300 for my iPhone 4S and I want the same for this phone. If there's no company standing behind it by then people won't want to buy it or pay much for it anyway.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Why would you guys be nervous, I can't tell if you're serious. The phone is out already. Literally all they're doing now is updating it and shit. It's their future devices that are a bit of a question mark depending on the success of the One. Not only that but latest rumours still say a google edition of the One is still coming and if it does, then all the update worries go away foreverz.

Yeah this is a lot of FUD being spread around. Calm down, people.

Hey guys, a bit of help.

So I migrated my contacts over from my old phone(non smart-phone) and then updated my contacts to add from my facebook account.

Some of them overlap. Like my mom is on my facebook, but does not have her phone number on there. But I had her phone number saved in my phone. Is there any way to merge accounts in my contacts? How can I set their facebook pictures as their contact pictures on my phone?

These might be silly questions, but it's been an issue for me so far. Thanks fellas! Really enjoying this phone.

VPhys

Yeah I've only had my phone for 2 weeks or so I could prob just pay a restocking fee and swap it out.

I mean I really like it but I don't know if I should keep it after those news.

If HTC goes down then resale value is a huge concern for me when I upgrade in 2 years and sell this phone. I got $300 for my iPhone 4S and I want the same for this phone. If there's no company standing behind it by then people won't want to buy it or pay much for it anyway.

Not sure what is gong on in this thread. But first, you're not going to get $300 for a non-iphone 2 years after it's released. Android phones don't hold that type of resale value.

Second, someone buying a 2 year old phone off ebay is not looking for it to be "supported" by the manufacturer. The phone is already out of warranty. And at say, a $150 to $200 purchase price if anything goes wrong with the phone they will be better off replacing it then trying to pay the manufacturer an absurd fee to fix their 2 year old phone.

Anyone buying a phone off ebay and wanting support for it is best off buying monthly insurance/extended warranty from their carrier. That way, even if they aren't making the phones 2 years later the carrier will replace the phone with an even better model.

Well, it looks like i've just won another HTC One lol. Not sure if it's locked yet but at least i'll be able to get some money for it.

Probably gonna sell it for $400. Easy money :D

this_guy

Hey guys, a bit of help.

So I migrated my contacts over from my old phone(non smart-phone) and then updated my contacts to add from my facebook account.

Some of them overlap. Like my mom is on my facebook, but does not have her phone number on there. But I had her phone number saved in my phone. Is there any way to merge accounts in my contacts? How can I set their facebook pictures as their contact pictures on my phone?

These might be silly questions, but it's been an issue for me so far. Thanks fellas! Really enjoying this phone.

Go to a contact, long press on that contact and you should see an option to 'Join' contacts. After you click Join you should be able to select any duplicates.

VoxPop

Hello from HTC,

We realize that your shipment was unexpectedly delayed, but we hope that your New HTC One has been worth the wait! Thanks for your patience and understanding. We appreciate your loyalty to HTC, and as a gesture of our thanks, we would like to give you a complimentary $25 Google Gift Credit.

Just got this email. Awesome!

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Just got this email. Awesome!

me too!

uDwYIBj.png

After going to with a AOSP style rom(cleanRom Dev) ...went back to Sense 5...

Sense 5 with translucent dock and semi translucent app drawer is awesome looking.

8794637480_7f6ea98df7.jpg

I managed to do the dock in nova launcher with ease. I would love a more translucent status bar though. Nova Launcher leaves me with a black bar up top.

The notification bar in stock sense 5 is always translucent. If I can get that with a launcher i'll switch. That's whats holding me back.

Don't let us down Shin!

zatara

God why won't Verizon just put this on their network, was hoping they would have announced it today but nope. I periodically go to my local att just to play with the One that's how much i like it

Wait, how!

I would also like to know how. This better not be a rooting only feature.

Unfortunately you need to have root and recovery.

I used this mod.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2255633

I managed to do the dock in nova launcher with ease. I would love a more translucent status bar though. Nova Launcher leaves me with a black bar up top.

Nova pro used to be my go to launcher, but I feel like it doesn't run as smooth as Sense 5.

Look wise I think Sense 5 with transparent dock looks much cleaner...PLUS Blinkfeed!!

Unfortunately you need to have root and recovery.

I used this mod.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2255633

Nova pro used to be my go to launcher, but I feel like it doesn't run as smooth as Sense 5.

Look wise I think Sense 5 with transparent dock looks much cleaner...PLUS Blinkfeed!!

Yeah, I think you're right about Sense 5 being smoother. I still need to sit down and root this thing. I was about to do it a week ago and then chickened out - fearing that I may still need the warranty. Which I seriously doubt.

I assume the warranty with HTC is only 90 days?

Yeah, I think you're right about Sense 5 being smoother. I still need to sit down and root this thing. I was about to do it a week ago and then chickened out - fearing that I may still need the warranty. Which I seriously doubt.

I assume the warranty with HTC is only 90 days?

I don't know what voodoo magic Sense 5 has but its silky smooth that Novs/Apex launchers can't achieve. It's Iphone 5 smooth.

A year with any phone.

As long as you dont root lol

I have ATT and seem like a RUU is leaked...which enable me to turn the phone to 100% STOCK..

Go to a contact, long press on that contact and you should see an option to 'Join' contacts. After you click Join you should be able to select any duplicates.

I tried this and cannot find "Join" My options are Call Mobile, Edit Contact, Delete Contact, Send contact as vCard, Block contact, Set default action, send text message. That's it. Anybody else have any other solutions?

I'm on Sprint if that helps.

VPhys

God why won't Verizon just put this on their network, was hoping they would have announced it today but nope. I periodically go to my local att just to play with the One that's how much i like it

Most likely Verizon strong armed HTC into making a custom version for them.

reKon

Banned
yeah it will wipe off all your data including the one in the SD memory.

But you can just copy all the SD stuff into your computer.

what data are you trying to save?

Actual game save data. I want to know if just rooting it first then backing it up is possible before unlocking, which would wipe it.

this_guy

I tried this and cannot find "Join" My options are Call Mobile, Edit Contact, Delete Contact, Send contact as vCard, Block contact, Set default action, send text message. That's it. Anybody else have any other solutions?

I'm on Sprint if that helps.

Sorry I haven't used an HTC phone in about a year. Try going into Edit contact, and from there see if there's an option to Join. You might have to hit the menu or settings while in Edit contact (look for the 3 vertical dots at the bottom of screen)

Actual game save data. I want to know if just rooting it first then backing it up is possible before unlocking, which would wipe it.

Hmmm....can you get root access without unlocking bootloader? I did everything at once so I didn't really bother to see if i can root without unlocking the bootloader.

you can use an app like Helium to backup your apps.. no need for root for that.

reKon

Banned
Hmmm....can you get root access without unlocking bootloader? I did everything at once so I didn't really bother to see if i can root without unlocking the bootloader.

you can use an app like Helium to backup your apps.. no need for root for that.

Oh... in that case I'll check that out. I checked Titanium and the data sync app. Those required root.

Picking up this cradle. Should work with my poetic atmosphere.

Also, I didn't think it was possible to root without unlocking the bootloader. I thought the whole point of unlocking the bootloader was to root.

I have that exact same one minus the branding on the front. It works and it doesn't topple, but it does have a weird issue. It is VERY difficult for it to connect with the micro-usb, I have to turn the dock sideways for it to go in easily. If I try any other way it just won't go in. It's very odd.

So I used to get pretty crappy battery life for the first 2 weeks or so of owning this phone. I made a conscious effort to try to stay stock until at least I received the OTA firmware update that fixes the camera and buttons.

Well, I finally got around to trying some roms and man, what a difference. So far I've tried ARHD and InsertCoins stock, which improved battery life quite a bit. Then I tried the Bulletproof kernel with these roms and wow... my phone used to last me a day and by the end of the night I'd have 10% or less battery. Now I end the day with more than 50% left. My usage is pretty much the same every day, I don't turn anything off and I'm not always on wifi.

On top of all that, before on stock after playing games or videos for a while the phone got pretty damn hot. Now, it just gets a little bit warm.

Really loving it so far :)

Can't believe I've got 2 big scratches on my screen already after a little over 2 weeks.

I keep the phone in a pocket by itself so no keys are rubbing against it and I've yet to lay it face down. No clue how it happened but Gorilla Glass is a joke.

Other than that I love the phone now that I'm more used to Android. Instagram still blows though.

Can't believe I've got 2 big scratches on my screen already after a little over 2 weeks.

I keep the phone in a pocket by itself so no keys are rubbing against it and I've yet to lay it face down. No clue how it happened but Gorilla Glass is a joke.

Other than that I love the phone now that I'm more used to Android. Instagram still blows though.

I people keep insisting screen protectors aren't worth it lol

Rich!

My girlfriend got one of these the other day.

holy shit it's amazing. And Snes9xEX runs as smooth as butter on it. sooo good.

I've been an iPhone user since the first gen release and I never had any interest in Android OS until this thing. I haven't seen it in the flesh yet but I've been watching a shitload of Youtube videos about it and I'm really impressed. My main issue with the Android crop of phones is that none of them had that brushed polish that iPhones have; I'm a stickler for build quality and style so this is the first Android phone that really caught my attention.

Also I'm flirting with possibly switching over for the first time; iOS has been so stale lately and I'm kind of holding out until WWDC to see what iOS7 brings to the table but I'm worried that it won't be much of an upgrade.

Was anyone else in a position like this? How easy is it to transfer over to the Google ecosystem when I have so many Apple apps and iCloud stuff? How's the interface for playing music as opposed to the iPhone? Is web browsing typically better? How connected are the apps and features in the interface as opposed to Apple's UI (which has seamless compatibility)?

I tried finding useful youtube channels on this but I figured I'd ask you guys. Any info would be great :)

Was anyone else in a position like this? How easy is it to transfer over to the Google ecosystem when I have so many Apple apps and iCloud stuff? How's the interface for playing music as opposed to the iPhone? Is web browsing typically better? How connected are the apps and features in the interface as opposed to Apple's UI (which has seamless compatibility)?

I tried finding useful youtube channels on this but I figured I'd ask you guys. Any info would be great :)

I'm coming from your exact situation. It's pretty easy to switch over IMO. HTC has a PC app that will migrate a lot of stuff off your phone, ie contacts, iMessages, photos, etc to the HTC One and then I simply took my iPhone and started looking up each app on a PC in the Play store to see if it existed, and then from the PC, told it to push the install to the phone.

I actually prefer the default music app on the HTC One over the iPhone as you can have it download album art, lyrics, it has visualization, quicker browsing, and more. It's much more robust.

Web browsing is pretty comparable but the nice thing is the choice of web browsers and being able to set any of those to be the default browser. I kinda like the tabs in chrome and how easy it is to slide from one tab to the next without pulling up the tabs. Also you have access to Flash in those cases where you need it. The only thing I miss from Safari is the bounce back.

Being able to select what app you want to do something in is where Android really shines. It's nice that in my calendar, if my wife sets up a shared appointment, it gets pushed to my phone and then I can click on the address in the appointment and select if I want to open it up in Google Maps, or Waze since I have Waze installed. It's just super nice to select which app you always want to use or which app you want to use in this instance.

Overall the switch is pretty easy and you'll find for the most part, both things will do the same thing in a similar way. There are a few things here and there that the iPhone edges out on, but then there are so many advantages in favor of Android too. Moving over though is pretty painless. I carried my iPhone with me as backup for about a week, but I think I only had to pull it out one time.

Top Bottom