• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Volotaire

Screen-Shot-2013-05-30-at-11.55.35-AM-660x399.png

ZetaEpyon

Just got my One in the mail yesterday - it's every bit as glorious as I'd hoped.

The Nexus Experience version would be nice, but I've got a Sprint SERO plan that I am loathe to give up. Plus Sprint has LTE live on a few towers around here now, so I'm not killing myself over it. :)

Just got my One in the mail yesterday - it's every bit as glorious as I'd hoped.

The Nexus Experience version would be nice, but I've got a Sprint SERO plan that I am loathe to give up. Plus Sprint has LTE live on a few towers around here now, so I'm not killing myself over it. :)

Not sure I need to update my phone to the stock rom when the time comes. Those real time google updates would be great though.

Does this mean there is a chance of 4.2.2 coming to current HTC One phones soon?

centracore

I just bought an HTC One from my carrier yesterday to replace my iPhone 5 so I am totally new to Android. With the news about the HTC One Nexus today, does that mean when June 26th rolls around I can unlock the bootloader on mine and then install the HTC One Nexus ROM?

Ferny

I just bought an HTC One from my carrier yesterday to replace my iPhone 5 so I am totally new to Android. With the news about the HTC One Nexus today, does that mean when June 26th rolls around I can unlock the bootloader on mine and then install the HTC One Nexus ROM?

How are you doing so far with the transition?

vdlow

So, yesterday or so the One Unlocked was costing 575 dollars. Now that the Google Edition has been announced, it's costing 599. Not cool, HTC, not cool. =/

So its an htc one with less features. Awesome.

Ya, as someone who is new to Android and hearing all the crying for stock Android, I feel like the issue has been way overblown. Maybe it's because it feels like Sense is pretty light and clean that it doesn't feel like it's bloatware or anything like that. I'm just having the trouble seeing the appeal of stock when can't you just use a launcher if you don't like Sense?

reKon

Banned
Ya, as someone who is new to Android and hearing all the crying for stock Android, I feel like the issue has been way overblown. Maybe it's because it feels like Sense is pretty light and clean that it doesn't feel like it's bloatware or anything like that. I'm just having the trouble seeing the appeal of stock when can't you just use a launcher if you don't like Sense?

because HTC fucks around with Bluetooth causing apps like Sixaxis not to work properly with Sense or any Sense based ROM.

There's absolutely no issues with Sense 5. Sense 4/4.5 was not so good cause its laggy, But Sense 5 is like stock but better looking and more functionally, PLUS its smooth as it can be....

There might be certain things thats a lil annoying like setting up the docks and your homescreen, but who constantly change their docks and homescreen? once it set up, you just usually leave it alone.

because HTC fucks around with Bluetooth causing apps like Sixaxis not to work properly with Sense or any Sense based ROM.

Isn't that because Google's implementation of Bluetooth kinda crappy which is one of the things rumor to get fixed in the next OS update?

Isn't that because Google's implementation of Bluetooth kinda crappy which is one of the things rumor to get fixed in the next OS update?
No.

Anyway, i was under the impression that those Sense BT issues were fixed already. I know that they were fixed in TW a long time ago.

The recent 4.2 BT issue is something completely different.

Pimpwerx

Nothing wrong with Sense5. All of my Android phones have been from HTC. I've always installed a new launcher on them. Not this phone. Sense5 is great. The HTC apps are very good too. The only thing I don't like is Kid Mode, and the latest Revolution ROMs allow me to uninstall it. PEACE.

Nothing wrong with Sense5. All of my Android phones have been from HTC. I've always installed a new launcher on them. Not this phone. Sense5 is great. The HTC apps are very good too. The only thing I don't like is Kid Mode, and the latest Revolution ROMs allow me to uninstall it. PEACE.

LOL yeah...I couldn't stand sense before. Now even Nova/Apex launcher isn't as smooth as Sense 5.

reKon

Banned
LOL yeah...I couldn't stand sense before. Now even Nova/Apex launcher isn't as smooth as Sense 5.

Nova is smooth enough for me to not really notice a big difference. You lose a home screen to blinkfeed with Sense 5 which isn't too big of a deal for me. My issue is that lose the ability to customize and change the look to how I want it. I'm using Nova and I've been able to change all the folder icons to what I want. It looks great.

Nova is smooth enough for me to not really notice a big difference. You lose a home screen to blinkfeed with Sense 5 which isn't too big of a deal for me. My issue is that lose the ability to customize and change the look to how I want it. I'm using Nova and I've been able to change all the folder icons to what I want. It looks great.

I just don't like the framerate or the lack of animation when using Nova.

No one if gonna buy the best android phone on the market with stock android? Based on what?

You really think most people are really going to care about stock? Maybe people on XDA. You're kidding yourself if you think the average consumer wants to spend almost 700 bucks just so they can have "stock" on an HTC phone. Not to mention Verizon and Sprint customers completely can't use this and some potential buyers will most likely go for the S4.

So yes based on this no one is going to buy the "best" android phone on the market.

LOL yeah...there is no doubt the One is the best android phone in the market.

But I think the S4 will benefit more with stock android.

I still don't get how some people can't feel the lag on the S4..even most reviews say it does and for some its a deal breaker.
http://www.phonedog.com/videos/samsung-galaxy-s-4-challenge-the-conclusion/

Didn't most of the US carrier have an update to fix it? I remember hearing it on one of the podcasts I was listening to. Possibly Android Central or Android Police.

Didn't most of the US carrier have an update to fix it? I remember hearing it on one of the podcasts I was listening to. Possibly Android Central or Android Police.

nope lag is still present. I was playing with my friends ATT version and Verizon version last weekend....lag was still there.

And that 30 phone challenge is really recent...he wouldn't be complain about lag if it was fix.

I still don't get how some people can't feel the lag on the S4..even most reviews say it does and for some its a deal breaker.
http://www.phonedog.com/videos/samsung-galaxy-s-4-challenge-the-conclusion/

Aren't you the one who plays fightan games competitively? Don't you think that most people aren't nearly as lag-sensitive or framerate-sensitive as you are? I've always sucked at fightan games, and for me the performance of my Note II with TouchWiz is just fine.

I bet you're one of those people who can't even stand a single frame of input lag on TVs when playing games either. I can't even tell the difference between no frames, 1 frame, and 2+ frames of input lag unless someone put the TVs side-by-side and I could see the delay with a direct comparison.

The problem here isn't with normal people, I'm afraid.

It just sounds like Samsung got the jump and HTC is like oh shit we need to do it to. Little do they know, no one is gonna buy it.
What's the point of this post? HTC is giving users options by releasing a version that costs them practically nothing more than the normal One cost. How is this a bad thing for them? How do you know nobody is gonna buy it?

And so what the announcement came after the S4's?

Nameless

Guys on the XDA boards were saying pre update you should have had 502.10, post 502.12.

The capacitave buttons do seem more responsive. Aside from that I haven't noticed any major changes.

What's the point of this post? HTC is giving users options by releasing a version that costs them practically nothing more than the normal One cost. How is this a bad thing for them? How do you know nobody is gonna buy it?

And so what the announcement came after the S4's?

400 dollars isn't nothing more than the original. The average consumer isn't going to pay full retail price for a phone when they can get it subsidized. You or I might yea, but most people aren't. This is fact.

And I never said it was bad.

Aren't you the one who plays fightan games competitively? Don't you think that most people aren't nearly as lag-sensitive or framerate-sensitive as you are? I've always sucked at fightan games, and for me the performance of my Note II with TouchWiz is just fine.

I bet you're one of those people who can't even stand a single frame of input lag on TVs when playing games either. I can't even tell the difference between no frames, 1 frame, and 2+ frames of input lag unless someone put the TVs side-by-side and I could see the delay with a direct comparison.

The problem here isn't with normal people, I'm afraid.

guilty =(

I was the first person who discovered the 1 extra frame of inherent lag in SF4 on the PS3 vs the Xbox...I had to buy a whole Japanese arcade unit to test out my theory...dayam I was crazy back then.

I was talking about cost to HTC.

Like I said, how is this going to be a failure for HTC? What makes the S4 userbase more willing to buy a Google edition?

If it doesn't sell it's a failure? No matter if it didn't cost them much it's still a failure.

The S4 is more popular? Is it a crazy notion that a more popular phone gets more sales?

Blackhead

Redarse
FFS who gives a fuck which sells more?! What's wrong with choices? Isn't that why you picked up an Android phone in the first place?

When the Rogers Update went through last week we ended up with:

But I think their software numbers are completely different for some reason.

JayDub

Anyone tried tethering on the One w/o the plan? Does it work for you?

Tethering Widget works on my wife's Note 2, but didnt with the HTC One.

BFIB

Having the phone for a week now, figured I'd post some extended impressions.

A week after getting my GS3, I didn't have that "awesome new phone!" feel, hardware wise. Software side was a different story, as it was my first introduction to Android. Poppped it in a case a few days after getting my S3, and every time I took it out, I never had that "Wow, this thing is beautiful!" feel.

Not so w/ my HTC One. I've been in the office all week, and had some business partners in yesterday. Most of them had GS3's, and were completely blown away at how crisp the HTC One looks sitting next to the GS3. One guy summed it up pretty well "My GS3 is like plastic Voltron. HTC One is the metal, superior model". Heck, I still pick it up just to hold it. I haven't held a phone this comfortably since the iPhone 3G.

Audio is also incredible. Even through headphones, and as much as I hate to admit it due to the BS marketing, but it does seem like there is something to be said about the beats audio. Everything sounds way better than it ever did listening to my music through my GS3.

Camera, the area that I really thought I would be the most disappointed with, is actually surprising me. Sure, zooming in on shots can get a bit messy, but normal point and shoot shots look great.

Overall, I am extremely pleased w/ my purchase. I kept telling myself over the past few weeks "The want for this phone will pass......." but twice I was stopping at stores just to mess around w/ one. Hasn't happened since the iPhone 3G for me.

FFS who gives a fuck which sells more?! What's wrong with choices? Isn't that why you picked up an Android phone in the first place?

indeed. as long as your device sells enough to garner manufacturer and developer support, it doesn't really matter if something else sells more. the HTC One is already a success and isn't going anywhere.

RoKKeR

So, why is the camera so shit? Maybe it's because I'm coming off an iPhone 5, but I am so disappointed in the camera. Sure it's decent and the photos it takes are 'passable', but even that is being generous. The photos are muddy, not sharp, and any use of zoom is almost laughable in how much it distorts the image.

Definitely my biggest disappointment of the phone. Everything else is great.

So, why is the camera so shit? Maybe it's because I'm coming off an iPhone 5, but I am so disappointed in the camera. Sure it's decent and the photos it takes are 'passable', but even that is being generous. The photos are muddy, not sharp, and any use of zoom is almost laughable in how much it distorts the image.

The back camera is the weakest part of the phone. Zoe and the front camera makes up for it for me though.

Pimpwerx

The back camera is pretty good when taking stills with HDR enabled, or when taking zoes. I dislike the video feature. I tried to take some video of a dolphin acting really weird in the bay, the other day, and the auto-focus pretty much went haywire. I know rolling waves might pose a worse-case scenario for auto-focus, but this camera acted the worst of any Gingerbread+ camera phone I've had. It is what it is. I can't complain about the pics. All I use them for is FB anyway. Still, I wouldn't recommend this phone heavily on its camera. It's probably one of its weakest features. PEACE.

Addnan

I got an HTC One three days ago and I've been enjoying it so far, but reading about the gap issues has me somewhat worried ("don't read XDA threads", yes, I know) since my phone does have noticeable gaps both at the top and the bottom.

http://i.imgur.com/4NyRZQq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YubvXYq.jpg

The gap at the top is slightly worse, squeezing the top speaker grill closes it.

So tell me, am I worrying over nothing?
I would say yes, that's very small, but if its bugging you go ahead and change it.

Top Bottom