• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Officially a new owner of this bad boy as of last night (a "great job this school year" gift). I'm really liking it, though I'll admit to some growing pains - I've never used a phone this big before.

Picked mine up today! I was dead set on silver until i got to the store and they had a black one on display. So sexy!

Now I need to catch up on how to use android cause right now i have no clue what i am doing!

I got an HTC One three days ago and I've been enjoying it so far, but reading about the gap issues has me somewhat worried ("don't read XDA threads", yes, I know) since my phone does have noticeable gaps both at the top and the bottom.

http://i.imgur.com/4NyRZQq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YubvXYq.jpg

The gap at the top is slightly worse, squeezing the top speaker grill closes it.

So tell me, am I worrying over nothing?

Personally I haven't seen a single perfect gapless One in the wild. If it bothers you that much just exchange it, but then there is always the chance of having one with other issues (my second unit had other scratches, terrible plastic, worse battery). This third unit is what I'm keeping, almost no gap.

Volotaire

Yeh my uncle now has to exchange his, he found two very small dead pixels on his screen. It's tough to notice them due to the amount of pixels, but it is annoying.

I think I might wait out the HTC One until August until further reliable batches are sent out.

Although dead pixels won't be visible, it's an issue that shouldn't be there.

Anybody know how to change the notification sound for text messages? I can't seem to find that anywhere.

Settings -> Personalize -> scroll down to Notification Sound.

I could never figure out if I could get my own ringtone for this for texts, like songs I have or whatever, but otherwise it works. I really like this phone.

Settings -> Personalize -> scroll down to Notification Sound.

I could never figure out if I could get my own ringtone for this for texts, like songs I have or whatever, but otherwise it works. I really like this phone.

Yea I did that, but for some reason that only changes the sound of notifications I get like emails. It doesn't affect text message sounds at all :-/

Jedi2016

Yea I did that, but for some reason that only changes the sound of notifications I get like emails. It doesn't affect text message sounds at all :-/
Texts have their own notification sounds that are, inexplicably, completely absent from the phone's sound settings. It's in the settings in the messenger program itself.

I just got this phone today. The phone itself is awesome but coming from iOS, I'm completely lost with this thing. It's taking me more time to figure out what's going on than I expected. Is there a beginner's resource for Android or something?

Also, I'm confused about the charging cable. I thought any mini USB cable would work but the ones I have are different from the one that came with the phone. I want to buy extras but I'm not sure what to buy. Anyone point me to something on Amazon that I can plug into a computer to charge this?

Cipherr

I just got this phone today. The phone itself is awesome but coming from iOS, I'm completely lost with this thing. It's taking me more time to figure out what's going on than I expected. Is there a beginner's resource for Android or something?

I don't know about a beginners guide. But you are probably better off dropping a mega question post here or in the Android OT. (The Android OT is probably a lot more active than just this thread) Let us help you find stuff, the two OS's have a lot of the same functions, but they are designed so differently that moving between them takes some time to learn.

LOTS of Android GAF came from iPhones, so we should be able to help.

As for the cable, I only know of Micro USB. I didn't even know there were other types. I must have been lucky when buying them online.

VPhys

Also, I'm confused about the charging cable. I thought any mini USB cable would work but the ones I have are different from the one that came with the phone. I want to buy extras but I'm not sure what to buy. Anyone point me to something on Amazon that I can plug into a computer to charge this?

It's micro USB, could that be the problem?

abunai

Do they release these updates by region? In the UK, no update, have the unlocked version.

Back when I had a Desire Z (unlocked), we got updates a few days later than USA. No idea if this is still the case with HTC official updates, sorry.

No update for me on Bell Canada. Not surprised though. I'd assume maybe another week or so for us carrier people.

Apparently this is whats in the 4.2.2 update, taken from XDA:

The current Changelog for the 4.2.2 update is:
- Android 4.2.2
- Improved BlinkFeed
- Stock HTC %battery
- Stock HTC EQS
- Long press home button works as menu
- Possibility to remove all icons from the dock
- Icons doesn't disappear from the app drawer even if added to the dock
- Audio improvements
- Camera improvement
- Thermal configuration improvements

Long press home button, % on battery icon and camera improvements are what i'm most excited about.

Edit: Apparently the One is now matching the S4 benchmark tests in certain programs with this update. Nice.

RoKKeR

Just discovered the N64 emulator for Android...wow, WOW. Coming from Apple, this alone has skyrocketed the value of this phone.

Amazing.

Looks like 4.2.2 is bringing some welcome changes. I'm looking mostly at the alleged camera improvement because I am very disappointed with the camera.

vdlow

Did they forget about lockscreen widgets? =( I'll probably be a One owner soon, and I was looking forward to 4.2.2 to use DashClock.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
That 4.2.2 update sounds awesome.

Also not sure if this old but, for anyone that wants to play Rayman Jungle Run on the this phone, you can buy the game from the Amazon app store.

Posting from my brand new HTC One! (Courtesy of my lady as a gift to celebrate our one year anniversary).

Pretty damn slick, I must say. I got it in black... I think I'm gonna stick with it. It's the perfect upgrade from my Galaxy Nexus.

reKon

Banned
ARHD.

Yeah true. But I had 100 percent last night and I woke up with 100 percent still...but yeah probably too soon to tell.

will have I have to back up my sd card (including all media) and then do a full wipe and flash? I remember something about going from 4.1 to 4.2 involving the sd card

abunai

will have I have to back up my sd card (including all media) and then do a full wipe and flash? I remember something about going from 4.1 to 4.2 involving the sd card

4.2 Is a different base so a full wipe would be required if coming from 4.1 roms. This is assuming we're talking custom roms and not OTA official updates.

4.2 uses SD cards differently due to multi-user accounts so you may or may not require to backup your "SD card". I backed up (to be safe) and flashed a 4.2.2 rom; my internal storage was untouched. Back up anyway, better than losing your stuff. Previous phones I've upgraded had internal storage wiped, so y'know. Play it safe.

I flash mine like any other Rom. Content of my sd card were intact.

I backed up my old rom, then full wipe(not sd card) then flash.

But I would back up your sd card just in case...

Well, just got the first scratch on my screen. Due to my ring I think. Fucking gorilla glass lol.

Screen protector goes on Wednesday. I knew I shouldn't have waited.

centracore

Is there a good guide on how to get 4.2.2 on my HTC One? I'm fairly new to the world of Android but was able to unlock my bootloader from htcdev.com - just not sure what the next step is.

edit: I just read that unlocking the bootloader breaks OTA updates so I guess I won't be getting 4.2.2 that way, so confused.

vdlow

Is there a good guide on how to get 4.2.2 on my HTC One? I'm fairly new to the world of Android but was able to unlock my bootloader from htcdev.com - just not sure what the next step is.

edit: I just read that unlocking the bootloader breaks OTA updates so I guess I won't be getting 4.2.2 that way, so confused.

I don't think that unlocking the bootloader breaks OTA updates. Well, at least not on the devices that I've had.

Getting more than 5 hour screen time with 4.2.2 ..almost same as the older version. Idle wise it seem better, doesn't drop as much when the phone is not active.

reKon

Banned
If anyone is on T-Mobile and using the TrickDroid 6.0.1, let me know if WiFi Calling is listed under the call settings and if it can be enable/it works.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
How do I get 4.2.2? Will AT&T push it to the phone or do I have to use the HTC manager?

Okay. Brother's HTC One stopped working. He took it off the charger and its screen was black. Won't turn on, won't boot into recovery. No charge LEDs come on when plugged in.

Any ideas?

Hope this isn't typical of HTC's shit.

No idea if there's some "trick" here because I have an S4 after an SII and SIII. No idea if there's something else with HTC phones.

HildyB

Okay. Brother's HTC One stopped working. He took it off the charger and its screen was black. Won't turn on, won't boot into recovery. No charge LEDs come on when plugged in.

Any ideas?

Hope this isn't typical of HTC's shit.

No idea if there's some "trick" here because I have an S4 after an SII and SIII. No idea if there's something else with HTC phones.

It's not typical of HTC, but is typical of technology. Plug it in to charger, hold down power for 20 seconds. That tends to do it for most phones (even iPhones). If still no luck, give HTC a call, they have good phone support.

Top Bottom