• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

KingRAW

Neo Member
My comfortable (amount that I'd like to have on me at all times) music and apps/photos on my iPhone fill up 32GB.

With this new 5" 1080p screen, who knows what else I'll want to throw on there :)

Very understandable points. I know the reputation that earlier Android phones has made the need for removable storage and batteries. However from the Iphone perspective I can see how this would be a weakness.

With tech pushing forward I can see in the near future phones making due with 250gb internal storage and longer battery life. I also see cordless charging making some real headway in the next few years.

I have had to change batteries with my HTC Evo but, I've never have had to change the 32gb storage card. When apps like Audio Galaxy get better with faster networks, I'm looking forward to streaming off my PC remotely like I used to.

EDIT: Cordless charging pads in automobiles would kick ass

reKon

Banned
Isn't the N4 supposed to have terrible battery life just slightly better than the Galaxy Nexus? Verge...

Well initially it wasn't much better, so the Verge messed up there. In 4.2.2 it's a lot better. Decent for today's standards.

surly

Banned
What I don't get about The Verge is their scores for "Ecosystem" with Android phones. Does that not mean availability of apps? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what that category is, but I don't see how the Nexus 4 gets a 9 in that category, but the HTC One gets an 8.

VoxPop

What I don't get about The Verge is their scores for "Ecosystem" with Android phones. Does that not mean availability of apps? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what that category is, but I don't see how the Nexus 4 gets a 9 in that category, but the HTC One gets an 8.

Yeah doesn't make any sense. Understandable for devices like the Kindle Fire which doesn't even have access to the Google Play Store though.

they count EVERYTHING for ecosystem, literally everything. Google apps/ and even phyisical accessories, things like bumpers, wireless charging, cases, etc... Obviously the software carries the most weight but yeah it's everything.

TTOOLL

you got theverged!

surly

Banned
they count EVERYTHING for ecosystem, literally everything. Google apps/ and even phyisical accessories, things like bumpers, wireless charging, cases, etc... Obviously the software carries the most weight but yeah it's everything.
I don't think that really adds up, because the Nexus 4 is the only recently reviewed high end Android phone to score a 9 in that category, but the only accessory available for that from Google was a fairly expensive bumper that was out of stock for weeks after the phone launched.

I don't think that really adds up, because the Nexus 4 is the only recently reviewed high end Android phone to score a 9 in that category, but the only accessory available for that from Google was a fairly expensive bumper that was out of stock for weeks after the phone launched.
I said software holds the most weight. The nexus 4 gets immediate updates for all its apps and whatnot and the OS itself. They probably included that fact.

surly

Banned
I said software holds the most weight. The nexus 4 gets immediate updates for all its apps and whatnot and the OS itself. They probably included that fact.
It still doesn't add up. They gave the Sony Xperia Ion 8 as well, even though it's running Android 2.3 which also prevents you from using certain apps that require a higher Android version.

Husker86

Isn't the N4 supposed to have terrible battery life just slightly better than the Galaxy Nexus? Verge...
Nah. My Nexus 4 is behind the iPhone 5 I had, but it's not far off. I also have a Galaxy Nexus and there is a huge difference in battery life.

It still doesn't add up. They gave the Sony Xperia Ion 8 as well, even though it's running Android 2.3 which also prevents you from using certain apps that require a higher Android version.
but sony has their own little ecosystem going on in addition to the android stuff, so I'm sure that added to it. Also take into account different reviewers having different opinions, it's not one person reviewing everything. I think it's fine.

HTC One: The First Unrepairable Smartphone ("One Life to Live")

http://ifixit.org/4425/htc-one-teardown/

It turns out that the HTC One’s guts are glued into the machined aluminum casing. So if you want to replace anything inside, *at best* you’ll just disfigure the perimeter of the device. Even worse, you may inadvertently mangle a speaker or cable during the opening process.

The HTC One earns a 1 out of 10 Repairability Score, a first-ever for a cellphone. The score is fitting, given its name.

Teardown highlights:

* HTC has said over and over that they wanted to create a seamless product, and the absence of any exterior screws is a testament to that. Unlike the iPhone’s volume buttons, which protrude from the case, the One’s buttons lie flush with the sides so as not to interrupt the body lines.

* A small amount of heat and a suction cup were all that was required to create a gap in the One’s zero gap construction.

* While the display can be lifted, it can’t be removed without first disconnecting the display ribbon cables, which are routed underneath the case assembly. Our initial victory was short-lived.

* It took us over half an hour to separate the rear aluminum case from the functional components of the phone. Worse yet, our diligent spudgering appears to have permanently mangled the plastic bezel surrounding the aluminum case. It’s possible that prying at a snail’s pace while applying heat could minimize this damage, but we’re not too hopeful. This phone was not made with openability in mind.

Merely reading iFixit's account of their disassembly of this phone is harrowing:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC+One+Teardown/13494/1

So if you get this phone, never drop it. Do not accidentally crack the screen. Do not in any way do something to it which may damage the internal electronic components. Because if you do, this phone essentially cannot be repaired without physically damaging it. HTC takes it's reputation for pretty phones with no durability to a whole new level with the One. It's literally the Jaguar of smartphones.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
It is truly the unibody mac/iphone problem all over again, if not worse - sacrificing self-repairability for style and grace. However, I don't see this being a problem for me. Accidents happen, but I haven't dropped a cell phone since Nextel was still separate from Sprint.

ShowDog

Even the One X was a bitch to repair, this seems crazy. Going into this you have to accept the phone will be little more than a paperweight in 2-3 years of heavy use once the battery bites the dust.

Although replacing the battery on an iphone 3GS was an absolute nightmare as well and that was a pretty successful product.

MrHicks

Banned
Even the One X was a bitch to repair, this seems crazy. Going into this you have to accept the phone will be little more than a paperweight in 2-3 years of heavy use once the battery bites the dust.

Although replacing the battery on an iphone 3GS was an absolute nightmare as well and that was a pretty successful product.

this is why i don't get people who buy expensive "high end" phones costing 600-700 bucks yet have a non replaceable battery

batteries only have a finite amount of charges before they suck ass
don't see how this is priority nr1 for everyone lol

non replacable battery phones are dead in 2 years
this is why i love samsung....open that bitch up put in a new battery and your good to go
takes 5 secs

this is why i don't get people who buy expensive "high end" phones costing 600-700 bucks yet have a non replaceable battery

batteries only have a finite amount of charges before they suck ass
don't see how this is priority nr1 for everyone lol

non replacable battery phones are dead in 2 years
this is why i love samsung....open that bitch up put in a new battery and your good to go
takes 5 secs

I've seen plenty of iPhones last over two years with no battery issues. Again, this isn't a problem.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
So happy

tNuvwial.jpg

Ugh I need to unsubscribe to thsi thread since I mentally commited to the S4.

But dat phone looks dope.

*Edit. Looks like it will be a nice upgrade to the awful camera on the phone you took this with :)

Ugh I need to unsubscribe to thsi thread since I mentally commited to the S4.

But dat phone looks dope.

*Edit. Looks like it will be a nice upgrade to the awful camera on the phone you took this with :)

I'm still not sure which phone I'll be settling with yet though if AT&T charges $250 for a 16gb S4 and Htc One is $199.99 that'll certainly frustrate me even though $50 amortized over the life of a contract is fairly insubstantial

I'm still not sure which phone I'll be settling with yet though if AT&T charges $250 for a 16gb S4 and Htc One is $199.99 that'll certainly frustrate me even though $50 amortized over the life of a contract is fairly insubstantial

I see. I'm more interested in the no contract price. I will be selling my iPhone 5 which should offset or get me close to the unlocked S4 price so I don't have to sign a new contract.

Spookie

Bloody hell just casually picked this phone up on a new contract to upgrade from one s. I wasn't aware that it isn't even out in the USA. It's a bloody slick phone and a huge upgrade for me so far. The 1080p screen looks amazing. :D

Three in the UK for 34 quid a month, unlimited data, 5000 texts and I think 900 minutes. Phone was free and 2 year contract if anyone wants to know.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Please post your impressions!

I love it!

It's my first Android phone and I've just realized what I've been missing the whole time. The screen is just awesome, I think it's definitively better than my sister's iPhone 5 screen. I haven't rooted it yet, but I will do this on Monday and also flash TrickDroid.

And guys. This sound. Of course you can't compare it to a home audio system, but I'd bet you won't find a smartphone with a better sound.

I hadn't the time to test the camera, I will do this tomorrow.

The remote is a nice gimmick and works pretty well, even with my 5 year old Samsung LCD tv and my no name (provider labeled) cable receiver.

I would upload some screenshots but I haven't figured out how to do it yet :p

But all in all just a (or an?) awesome piece of hardware.

edit
can anyone recommend a good alarm app?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I love it!

It's my first Android phone and I've just realized what I've been missing the whole time. The screen is just awesome, I think it's definitively better than my sister's iPhone 5 screen. I haven't rooted it yet, but I will do this on Monday and also flash TrickDroid.

And guys. This sound. Of course you can't compare it to a home audio system, but I'd bet you won't find a smartphone with a better sound.

The remote is a nice gimmick and works pretty well, even with my 5 year old Samsung LCD tv and my no name (provider labeled) cable receiver.

edit

Looking forward to further impressions, especially some more hands on with the camera. What do you mean by figuring out how to upload screenshots. Do you mean actually taking them, or getting them off the machine?

I love it!

edit
stock alarm clock not good enough? try doubleTwist Alarm Clock or Gentle Alarm

you can upload screenshots a bunch of different ways. dropbox automatic upload is probably the easiest, but you can also use the websites or apps for various image upload services.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I meant how to take screenshots. Sorry -.-

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Top Bottom