• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Like what, I'm close to doing the same. Don't see much reason not to.

Really depends on what's important for you I guess, but off the top of my head you'll lose:

BlinkFeed
Beats audio
Enhanced camera software
Zoe
Highlight videos
Infra red remote

Think there maybe more.

It's worth it alone just for the camera software to make the pics looks better.

Edit: oh and a few people on XDA have complained about worse battery life on CM versus sense based ROMs. However take that one with a pinch of salt.

MattDoza

Really depends on what's important for you I guess, but off the top of my head you'll lose:

BlinkFeed
Enhanced camera software(ZOE)
Highlight videos

It's worth it alone just for the camera software to make the pics looks better.

Edit: oh and a few people on XDA have complained about worse battery life on CM versus sense based ROMs. However take that one with a pinch of salt.
Fixed that list. Battery life has been better since coming from 4.1.2 stock sense. IR blaster works on 4.3, unfortunately there's not a dedicated app pre-installed. I've been using One to remote them all. Which isn't very pretty but works.

MattDoza

I thought the play edition did have beats audio on it.

It does.

idwiE0g.png

Well I guess I was way off haha. Nice to see beats in there.

No Zoe though or highlight videos is major damage for me though, plus running stock camera. I also use the tv app a lot.

Lol...stock can't compare to sense 5.

There's really no advantage of having stock. The funny thing is that most people who uses stock, also uses a 3rd party launcher...

I don't even use a launcher on the One which I definitely would if I owned any other android phone besides a Nexus. It doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. It's pretty nice.

I'm still a stock guy but it be nice.

I don't even use a launcher on the One which I definitely would if I owned any other android phone besides a Nexus. It doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. It's pretty nice.

I'm still a stock guy but it be nice.
Sense 5 is fine. It's not cluttered at all. It's also more aesthetically pleasing than stock or TW. Could use more features though.

I only use a launcher because I'm not a huge fan of the icons. I played around with a ton of customization and ended up going back to standard widgets and layouts.

I only rooted because I was sick of waiting for a sense update lol

MattDoza

I only use a launcher because I'm not a huge fan of the icons. I played around with a ton of customization and ended up going back to standard widgets and layouts.

I only rooted because I was sick of waiting for a sense update lol

Same here, about launchers. Sense is totally fine, aesthetically. Better than stock? Pretty subjective, I don't mind stock as much as others. The "TRON" look, as some call it, hasn't aged poorly with me, seeing as I've been away from Android for a few years.

GPE received 4.3 pretty damn quick, FWIW. I think it was like a week after Nexus devices.

Just switched from iPhone 5 to this yesterday and I really like the phone itself for the most part, but one thing is bugging me. I play a ton of Words With Friends, but it seems to be really slow and unresponsive as hell with this phone. Not sure if it's an issue with the Android version or if I have some random setting that's causing it to run like molasses but since it's one of my top 3 most used apps, I'd like to find out what the issue might be.

ST2K

I'm thinking about upgrading from a dumbphone to a smartphone for the first time and this is the one that has caught my interest the most.

Most of the response seems to be positive in here, so that's good. But I still feel hesitant about the UI. It seems like it could be rather obtuse in some of the videos I've seen. Is this me just being not used to smartphones or have any of you had similar impressions?

I'm thinking about upgrading from a dumbphone to a smartphone for the first time and this is the one that has caught my interest the most.

Most of the response seems to be positive in here, so that's good. But I still feel hesitant about the UI. It seems like it could be rather obtuse in some of the videos I've seen. Is this me just being not used to smartphones or have any of you had similar impressions?

probably because you're not used to smartphones. All android phones have a bit of a learning curve but it's all gooood.

I got one of these last week. Just getting the thing activated* was a bit rough, but beyond that, I'm pleased. I have found the HTC Sync Manager app to be quite useful, as the #1 non-talk use for it will simply be listening to music (either in the car via bluetooth or at work). Being able to move albums and iTunes playlists over to the phone is quite convenient.

*Activation: I'm a Sprint customer and ordered the phone online. When it arrived, I tried to activate it via Sprint's online interface but it wouldn't work. So I then tried to activate it via an automated interface with my old phone (GS2), which was not recommended but it would let me try "with the new phone powered down." But the automated system was unresponsive to anything I did (it did not detect me entering the information it was asking for), and kept directing me to a customer service representative, except those people apparently are not able to activate phones.

The recourse? Take it to a Sprint store, which is what I did. As it turns out, they couldn't activate it, either. So they... called Sprint. The dern phone couldn't be activated because my order hadn't completed, although the phone was in my hands. They had to force the order to complete manually, then the phone activation finally succeeded.

The lesson: Never upgrade your phone with Sprint online.

Got a new one guys, guy at th VZW store was a total douche. I waited over an hour for 3-4 of them to figure out how to switch the phones and he basically just threw it at me to get out. Not my fault you guys are idiots. I was nice to all of them but he ended up with it and fuck him.

Got a new one guys, guy at th VZW store was a total douche. I waited over an hour for 3-4 of them to figure out how to switch the phones and he basically just threw it at me to get out. Not my fault you guys are idiots. I was nice to all of them but he ended up with it and fuck him.

Report that shit to his manager.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Rotten shit dude. Hope this one stays good for you so you don't have to put up with that again.

I just threw a nice sarcastic "thank you have a GREAT night" his way which of course he didn't respond to. Whatever I finally got what I've been waiting for for 8 months.

eznark

Banned
Go home and immediately set it up to control your entertainment system and sit back in satisfaction knowing the wait was worth it.

Has anyone ordered an upgrade from Amazon? Obviously they are legit, but I've never ordered a phone under contract online. I'm probably just going to order the One off Amazon and use this useless RadioShack gift card toward a Google Play card.

Has anyone ordered an upgrade from Amazon? Obviously they are legit, but I've never ordered a phone under contract online. I'm probably just going to order the One off Amazon and use this useless RadioShack gift card toward a Google Play card.

What about it? It's pain free. They just do a credit check so you have to wait a bit (few hours or so depending on time) and you're good to go.

What about it? It's pain free. They just do a credit check so you have to wait a bit (few hours or so depending on time) and you're good to go.

Just referring to it if it was hassle free.

I finally got at a Radio Shack with a One. $50 cheaper than Amazon too. Now I just need to find a case I'll like.

I just got this phone yesterday and it's really awesome so far. This is my first android device and I was wondering...what must-have apps do I need?

Also, does anyone else's phone get really warm when using something as basic as the browser? I was just browsing gaf and the back of the phone got pretty heated. Is this normal?

BFIB

I just got this phone yesterday and it's really awesome so far. This is my first android device and I was wondering...what must-have apps do I need?

Also, does anyone else's phone get really warm when using something as basic as the browser? I was just browsing gaf and the back of the phone got pretty heated. Is this normal?

Yep, pretty normal. I mostly feel it when I'm playing a game or streaming something.

Mine seemed to get more heated when I first got it, but since going to 4.2.2 I don't notice heat under normal browsing situations. Only in heavy duty situations.

Top Bottom