• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

MattDoza

Would it be a bad idea to buy a HTC One right now? Is there a HTC One+ coming out soon or anything like that?

One Max (larger version of the One) is supposed to be announced sometime this month. Rumors are saying it's going to Sprint first. But if you're not into a large phone (One Max is said to be a 6 inch screen) but are into the One, I say go for it. It's a really nice phone.

Timan

Developer
My case is almost invisible and it keeps my phone from scratching or cracking like I mentioned in the post you quoted.

69JWNCI.jpg

My case finally came, love it apart from one issue... it is hard as heck to press that power button :( might cut bits of the case off.

zewone

My case finally came, love it apart from one issue... it is hard as heck to press that power button :( might cut bits of the case off.

I'm glad you like it! Good luck with the power button issue. I think I just got used to it.

The latest version of the case I received didn't have any casing over the top of the phone, so I don't recall having a problem with hitting that button.

It'll be a shocker if Verizon gets the next nexus, funny considering the droid basically launched android.

Everyone loves this phone, everyone asks to see it

The more I use the camera, the more I'm bummed about it. It's not a deal breaker, I mean the phone is gorgeous inside and out, but man..dat camera.

Bergsy

Started to develop problems with my ONE, when connected to charger it doesn't charge, only charges when battery is completely drained, goes into car mode when charger connected, Auto rotates all the time even when auto rotate is turned off.
Phone has been away for repair only to receive a letter saying 'we couldn't replicate the faults you described'

Wonderful, just wonderful.

Gritesh

I have this issue on and off as well, apparently it's the SIM card not sitting on the SIM tray properly, I think I saw a solution where they were wrapping sticky tape around the card and tray which seemed to work. I was going to try it but my phone seems to have fixed itself for now

This issue started off very infrequently for me and has progressively gotten worse over time, now this is happening to me 5-6 times a day.

centracore

I just got a system update from Google, thinking nothing of it I let it restart to install and IT TOTALLY ERASED MY FUCKING PHONE. I just got back from a vacation in San Francisco and all of my pictures from that trip were on there.. I still can't believe this. If I can't get them back I'm selling this piece of shit and going back to iPhone world, sure the OS is worse but it's never erased my entire phone for an over the air update! /venting

zewone

I just got a system update from Google, thinking nothing of it I let it restart to install and IT TOTALLY ERASED MY FUCKING PHONE. I just got back from a vacation in San Francisco and all of my pictures from that trip were on there.. I still can't believe this. If I can't get them back I'm selling this piece of shit and going back to iPhone world, sure the OS is worse but it's never erased my entire phone for an over the air update! /venting
You don't have auto upload set up with any app? Dropbox, Facebook, Google+?

Sorry for your loss.

LogicStep

What's the newest HTC One phone? Like, the competition for the iPhone 5S and the GS4? And does it compare? My parents are getting their first smartphone and I'm searching for the newest ones so they pick whatever they like. Either HTC One, iPhone 5s or GS4.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
guys I got my htc one!!
now what do I do???

well what apps should I get? So far I got clean master...anything else?

Volotaire

What's the newest HTC One phone? Like, the competition for the iPhone 5S and the GS4? And does it compare? My parents are getting their first smartphone and I'm searching for the newest ones so they pick whatever they like. Either HTC One, iPhone 5s or GS4.

Well the HTC One and the GS4 were the last 6 month cycle starting Feb/March along with the Xperia Z. (the former 2 are the most recent flagships normal sized phones for the respective companies). The GS4 also comes in a rugged version called the GS4 Active.

The Xperia Z had an update for the Autumn Winter cycle, just recently called the Xperia Z1. It is superior.

A budget version (which is actually only 50-100£ cheaper) of the HTC One has been released called the HTC One Mini with smaller screen, but is superior to the GS4 Mini.

For this cycle, the Autumn/Winter cycle of phones, the rumoured HTC One Max with a 5.9 inch screen will be coming. That will be phablet competing with the galaxy Note 3 and Xperia Z ultra, Huwaei, Asus, the Nokia 1020 and other phablets.

You also seemingly missed out the LG G2, which is basically a souped up version oft the GS4, with a .2 inch bigger screen and rear volume buttons. Ugly though.

Moto X is also available, although battery claims do not live up to real tests. (not in Europe).

Colors for HTC One include SIlver, Black, Red and Blue. Black is very nice, but if chipped you can see the silver aluminum underneath as it is anodized. Silver is great too though.

EDIT: ah you wanted comparisons

Well what do you want out of your phone/s, can't really make an assessment on unknown quantities. Some pros and cons about each though quickly

HTC One Pros:

Screen color accuracy and quality
Simplest UI (apart from STock Android or in people's preferences IOS7)
Build Quality is great, i really mean it. Feels really nice.
Speakers, although still tinny
Low light shots + Zoe
32GB Minimum model (without rooting cannot install apps on sd card)

Cons

SD Slot (can be solved through attaching sd readers to USB min slot)
Battery not removable
Blacks on Screen while watching movies not impressive as AMOLED
Smaller screen but same phone size as other Android phones
Black can get chipped easily and see the silver underneath
Camera is not a good as other phones

S4 Pros

Software Features are quite useful for some people (eye tracking, ....)
Touchwiz has a lot os software
Camera is brilliant
battery
SD Card Slot
Raw Power and speed real world dfrrence won't notice much of a difference or at all)

Cons

Build Quality/Looks (preference)
Resource heavy
Touchwiz is quite ugly (my preference)
AMOLED can give colors a saturated look (not to everyones taste)
In the UK at least, the only model they sell is 16GB, after Touchwiz thats 8-9gb for apps if not rooting. That's pitiful for heavy users. But then I guess a majority of heavy users would probably root.

Can't speak for an iPhone, only really used the 3GS extensively.

HildyB

guys I got my htc one!!
now what do I do???

well what apps should I get? So far I got clean master...anything else?

All depends on what you want to do on it. Productivity? Social? Gaming? Lots of apps out there. Is this your first Android smart phone? Give us something to work with :)

eznark

Banned
I ended up getting an otterbox commuter case just for when I do yard work basically. When it's in my pants and I am working with power tools or mowing I'm always super nervous.

Barzul

So I just picked up a Black HTC One off Amazon. It was $50 with my upgrade. I was waiting to see if Apple did anything new with the Iphone, they didn't. I'm on Sprint btw.

Volotaire

Wow, how the hell can it be $1.14 and include shipping from China? That's crazy.

The cheap labour costs, transnational laws and costs, bulk buys for materials, cheap plastic/whatever they use for the case and therefore cheap input costs probably make this insanely cheap to make.

I ordered 2, just in case. Couldn't say no to that price.

The cheap labour costs, transnational laws and costs, bulk buys for materials, cheap plastic/whatever they use for the case and therefore cheap input costs probably make this insanely cheap to make.

I ordered 2, just in case. Couldn't say no to that price.

I could understand the price of the case being that much, but how do you also get shipping included in that and still make money is what I don't get.

Volotaire

I could understand the price of the case being that much, but how do you also get shipping included in that and still make money is what I don't get.

They probably sell a lot fo other products they they make a markup on and break even on this, or the volumes they ship are so huge (with all their other products) that the transport costs are tiny.

Hello everyone. So I've had this phone for over 2 weeks and I still haven't gotten a screen protector for it...oops. Anyone have any good recommendations? I don't like those matte/non-glaring ones cause it makes the screen look grainy. I also don't like protectors that feel sort of...rubbery, like when you try to swipe and your finger drags a bit. I like protectors that are just as smooth as the bare screen.

Top Bottom