• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

I just got my One. Loving it so far. Only problem I have on quick day usage is that it gets hot really fast. Is this normal? I'll be browsing the web for 5-10 minutes and it starts to go all Human Torch on me. ATT version btw on HSPA+.

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
So, I just got my One as well, and I'm completely new to the Android world - I'm hoping to find an easy way to bring my iTunes library over.

As I've taken baby steps on the App Store, I've noticed the various UCCW skins. I really want to try some of them, but I'm curious about how safe it is. Most of the skins say I need to download the main UCCW app, but the permission list for the main app gives me pause - essentially allowing access to everything, and telling you it will be accessing private data. I partially understand the reason why, but its still a bit off putting. Does anyone have experience with these skins, and how safe they are to use? I would hate to be caught with hidden data mining or worse.

So, I just got my One as well, and I'm completely new to the Android world - I'm hoping to find an easy way to bring my iTunes library over.

As I've taken baby steps on the App Store, I've noticed the various UCCW skins. I really want to try some of them, but I'm curious about how safe it is. Most of the skins say I need to download the main UCCW app, but the permission list for the main app gives me pause - essentially allowing access to everything, and telling you it will be accessing private data. I partially understand the reason why, but its still a bit off putting. Does anyone have experience with these skins, and how safe they are to use? I would hate to be caught with hidden data mining or worse.

iirc, HTC Sync Manager does that. there are also many 3rd party apps that do it too, like doubleTwist and iSyncr.

as far as permissions go, an app that does a lot of things needs a lot of permissions.

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
iirc, HTC Sync Manager does that. there are also many 3rd party apps that do it too, like doubleTwist and iSyncr.

as far as permissions go, an app that does a lot of things needs a lot of permissions.

Thanks for the info. My main concern is how reputable the app is or the developer is. To do what they do, I imagine it would need permissions just to cover everything.

MattDoza

I just got my One. Loving it so far. Only problem I have on quick day usage is that it gets hot really fast. Is this normal? I'll be browsing the web for 5-10 minutes and it starts to go all Human Torch on me. ATT version btw on HSPA+.

Mine was the same way. I got mine smack in the middle of a heat wave, this summer, and I think that maybe had some to do with it. It would get to the point of being unbearable to hold. It's been a solid month and a half and it doesn't get quite as hot with normal usage, now. Unless I play a game for an extended period of time, then it definitely heats up.

kyrax12

I still can't decide to get this or the GS4. How good is the HTC one at reading PDF files and comic/manga?

I heard that the HTC one is near impossible to repair right?

I still can't decide to get this or the GS4. How good is the HTC one at reading PDF files and comic/manga?

I heard that the HTC one is near impossible to repair right?

both phones run Android and there are several good PDF and comic apps that will run on both. yes, it's a lot harder to repair than a GS4, but that really shouldn't be the swing vote.

eznark

Banned
Picked up the phone yesterday afternoon. Haven't had a ton of time to play around with it but initial impressions are "holy shit this thing is dope." The speakers are kind of mind boggling. The screen is gorgeous and I haven't gotten a lot further than that.

Right now my biggest complaints are that for an Android phone it seems to bury its google integration a bit, which is annoying. And fucking hell, how has no one just copied TweetBot? The twitter applications are atrocious.

If you are rooted within this week you can enjoy it...

I just finished rooting actually :D

I used the video guide at http://htconeroot.com which made it incredibly easy.

I see theres a 4.3 ROM already available, but it's based on stock so i'm not going to bother.

However I have a questions. This seems popular:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2183023

However it says I have to wipe using Aurora because it doesn't match my firmware. I only have that twrp recovery on my phone, can I wipe it with that? If I can, is is really just a simple case of flashing the ROM then i'm done? That's it?

Arkanius

A manly man uses his phone with no case, any scratch and dent that might show up are WAR SCARS.
;_;

I was drunk a few weeks ago and my phone fell with the screen on the ground. It has a very small dent on the top and a small chip on the chin (very very small) but the screen shows microscratches when I shine any strong light on it from an angle.

Basically, invisible scars, but it still hurts to have them.
Also, the HTC One is so pretty when one removes the Beats branding. The back is so sexy.

Volotaire

A manly man uses his phone with no case, any scratch and dent that might show up are WAR SCARS.
;_;

I was drunk a few weeks ago and my phone fell with the screen on the ground. It has a very small dent on the top and a small chip on the chin (very very small) but the screen shows microscratches when I shine any strong light on it from an angle.

Basically, invisible scars, but it still hurts to have them.
Also, the HTC One is so pretty when one removes the Beats branding. The back is so sexy.

You can take it off?

You've got to share the secrets man! Beats branding makes me sad :(

this_guy

For owners that have had the HTC One for a while now - how do you feel about the camera? HTC made a big deal out of their Ultrapixel camera, but I haven't been impressed in any reviews I've read. I want a phone the size of the Motorola X/HTC One Mini, but the Moto X's camera hasn't been impressive and the One Mini uses a similar camera to the One (although without OIS).

sirap

For owners that have had the HTC One for a while now - how do you feel about the camera? HTC made a big deal out of their Ultrapixel camera, but I haven't been impressed in any reviews I've read. I want a phone the size of the Motorola X/HTC One Mini, but the Moto X's camera hasn't been impressive and the One Mini uses a similar camera to the One (although without OIS).

Had one since launch. Nothing to write home about, in good light my 4s produces better photos. At night, the HTC One wins..but the aggressive sharpening really ruins it for me (even after turning it down)

I still think the Lumia series is where it's at when it comes to smartphone cameras. Shame that there's barely any good post-processing apps for Windows. VSCO is mighty fine on IOS, and an android version is coming soon.

this_guy

Had one since launch. Nothing to write home about, in good light my 4s produces better photos. At night, the HTC One wins..but the aggressive sharpening really ruins it for me (even after turning it down)

I still think the Lumia series is where it's at when it comes to smartphone cameras. Shame that there's barely any good post-processing apps for Windows. VSCO is mighty fine on IOS, and an android version is coming soon.

That's what I figured. I'm currently using a Nokia 920 and like the camera and build quality, but this weekend I had a fantasy football draft on Yahoo and I was out so I needed to switch phones to be able to draft. Windows Phone still has some catching up to do when it comes to apps.

Knight77

I just finished rooting actually :D

I used the video guide at http://htconeroot.com which made it incredibly easy.

I see theres a 4.3 ROM already available, but it's based on stock so i'm not going to bother.

However I have a questions. This seems popular:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2183023

However it says I have to wipe using Aurora because it doesn't match my firmware. I only have that twrp recovery on my phone, can I wipe it with that? If I can, is is really just a simple case of flashing the ROM then i'm done? That's it?

That ROM is not badand I used it for as while than someone here suggested me the cleanrom (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2253527 ) and I ask not going back anymore. Clean, fast, updated, without too many mods and the few one are selectable, plus a great support in the forum.

Anyway yes you can wipe via TWRP, it shows the default cleaning way for a new ROM, check it you will see it.
When you update the same ROM but just a new version you don't need to wipe all (ex. From clean ROM 5.0 to 5.1)

Spinluck

I'm sure this has been asked before, and I'm sorry for asking again. But how does the screen compare to the S3 and S4? Oh, and the cameras too.

How is the HTC Android skin?

And how fragile is the phone, I had no screen protector on my S3 and, but only ended up with a scratch something very very unusual happened lol. I usually only put a case on it when I'm out and about for a while.

EDIT: I've seen and held the phone before, but that was all I really got to do. See and hold it. Didn't really get to tinker with it.

I'm sure this has been asked before, and I'm sorry for asking again. But how does the screen compare to the S3 and S4? Oh, and the cameras too.

How is the HTC Android skin?

And how fragile is the phone, I had no screen protector on my S3 and, but only ended up with a scratch something very very unusual happened lol. I usually only put a case on it when I'm out and about for a while.

EDIT: I've seen and held the phone before, but that was all I really got to do. See and hold it. Didn't really get to tinker with it.

Screen is better or worse depending on who you ask, but it seems most of the Android world thinks it's superior because it produces more true to life colors. It depends on what you like. Camera is hit or miss for the One. I personally haven't used it that much, but from what I've heard, HTC is best indoors with low light.

Sense 5 is ok. I prefer Touchwiz's features, but I prefer Sense's look and feel. Sense doesn't really offer anything cool. I kind of miss Smart Screen and I'm intrigued with the hover features. Sense 5 doesn't offer anything special really. Zoe is pretty cool I guess and the layout is nice. That's about it.

It seems pretty fragile in that you'll probably get scuffs and stuff like that just due to normal usage.

Ugh, how do I send a video to someone? Everything is complaining that the video file is too big. Why isn't there some sort of auto conversion like in iOS? What's the easiest way to send someone a video? It's very time sensitive at this point.

Spinluck

Screen is better or worse depending on who you ask, but it seems most of the Android world thinks it's superior because it produces more true to life colors. It depends on what you like. Camera is hit or miss for the One. I personally haven't used it that much, but from what I've heard, HTC is best indoors with low light.

Sense 5 is ok. I prefer Touchwiz's features, but I prefer Sense's look and feel. Sense doesn't really offer anything cool. I kind of miss Smart Screen and I'm intrigued with the hover features. Sense 5 doesn't offer anything special really. Zoe is pretty cool I guess and the layout is nice. That's about it.

It seems pretty fragile in that you'll probably get scuffs and stuff like that just due to normal usage.

Alrighty thanks.

I may hold off till the next edition, just to play it safe as I'm in no rush lol.

sirap

That's what I figured. I'm currently using a Nokia 920 and like the camera and build quality, but this weekend I had a fantasy football draft on Yahoo and I was out so I needed to switch phones to be able to draft. Windows Phone still has some catching up to do when it comes to apps.

Yeah, hope they get the ecosystem up to speed soon. They don't even need many, just a few heavy hitters that are already on IOS and Android.

I'm contemplating purchasing a Lumia 1020 and simply transferring photos to my One/4s for post processing. The camera in that phone looks beastly.

That ROM is not badand I used it for as while than someone here suggested me the cleanrom (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2253527 ) and I ask not going back anymore. Clean, fast, updated, without too many mods and the few one are selectable, plus a great support in the forum.

Anyway yes you can wipe via TWRP, it shows the default cleaning way for a new ROM, check it you will see it.
When you update the same ROM but just a new version you don't need to wipe all (ex. From clean ROM 5.0 to 5.1)

I may try that when it goes to 4.3. However I don't like how it's preloaded with at&t apps. I assume they can be removed?

Arkanius

You can take it off?

You've got to share the secrets man! Beats branding makes me sad :(

Beauty-Secrets-Acetone-Nail-Polish-Remover-Review-Pictures1.jpg

Acetone

+

Cotton

filepicker%2FpGb1cuOXTEK4dcmNCzyR_Cotton_Balls.jpg

=

nm6mA7m.jpg

Sorry for giant pictures, I don't know how to make Gaf posts auto resize them

Arkanius

Easily the best cellphone camera I ever had (HTC Hero -> S1 -> S2 -> S3) comparably to others at their time. In daylight it takes great photos (Which other probably achieve as well) but where it truly shines is low light. Man, every photo I take indoors or at night WITHOUT FLASH look amazing and exactly what I wanted to capture for later. Not having to resort to flash which destroys everyone skin in photos (Summer night photos really take shine with HTC One)

I'm very happy, 4MP for me is more than enough. I never print the photos, and they are all higher res than a 1080p screen.

Low light photo I took recently at a party (without even using Night mode, which, I never used on HTC One):

Easily the best cellphone camera I ever had (HTC Hero -> S1 -> S2 -> S3) comparably to others at their time. In daylight it takes great photos (Which other probably achieve as well) but where it truly shines is low light. Man, every photo I take indoors or at night WITHOUT FLASH look amazing and exactly what I wanted to capture for later. Not having to resort to flash which destroys everyone skin in photos (Summer night photos really take shine with HTC One)

I'm very happy, 4MP for me is more than enough. I never print the photos, and they are all higher res than a 1080p screen.

Low light photo I took recently at a party (without even using Night mode, which, I never used on HTC One):

Very impressive

VPhys

Wish I could swap my GS4 for an HTC One but the transaction is going to cost me about $200 after all is said and done.

Damn you Verizon for not having this available earlier.

all the att app is option thru aroma.

i'm on cleanRom 5.1 .....cleanrom has been my to go from since i the one x and GS3.

Hey, i'm considering doing the S-OFF thing and I checked XDA on how to do it. Seems straight forward (but hit and miss apparently) aside from one thing. It says if my phone is unlocked and rooted I have to "switch to root using su"

What does that mean?

VoxPop

Hey, i'm considering doing the S-OFF thing and I checked XDA on how to do it. Seems straight forward (but hit and miss apparently) aside from one thing. It says if my phone is unlocked and rooted I have to "switch to root using su"

What does that mean?

What's the difference in having S-OFF? How is it any different from me putting the One GPE Rom on it?

What's the difference in having S-OFF? How is it any different from me putting the One GPE Rom on it?

Well the reason i'm doing it is apparently it will enable me to flash new radios for better wifi, LTE and so forth. RIght now on the ROM i'm on I don't have to, but it looks like it may be needed in the future.

Also, I have this text on my boot screen at the bottom stating it's for developers only, and on the recovery screen it says my phone is unlocked and tampered. Having S-OFF allows me to get rid of that in case I need to switch my phone if I bricked it. Which for me, being all new to this, is a stark possibility.

eznark

Banned
I did it on mine this morning. One tip, put some tape over the white strip. I had some red bleed onto it and it took some serious scrubbing to get it off.

I had a feeling actually. How does one switch root to superuser though? It doesn't make sense to me.

Here's a non technical explanation.

Root is a Linux term.

Its kinda like being the admin user in windows. It allow you to have access to the system. Android OS don't want you to be able to just freely change stuff, so you won't mess things up.

If you have root, you have super user access. Which allow you to have access to things that wasn't allowed before ex. System files.

Superuser app allows other apps to have root access to the system.

For example.

Titanium backup app:
The app will back up certain things but won't back up stuff that it can't access.

The superuser app allows titanium backup to have root access(admin access) to allow titanium back to back up things that wasn't permitted before.

Cryst

Looks like CleanRom 5.2 came out today. I'm on 5.0 right now (thanks to the folks here who recommended it!) From what you're saying, I can just flash the updated ROM without having to do a full wipe, correct?

Looks like CleanRom 5.2 came out today. I'm on 5.0 right now (thanks to the folks here who recommended it!) From what you're saying, I can just flash the updated ROM without having to do a full wipe, correct?

Minor update...should be fine...I dirty flashed it...I too like to live dangerously...LOL

Here's a non technical explanation.

Root is a Linux term.

Its kinda like being the admin user in windows. It allow you to have access to the system. Android OS don't want you to be able to just freely change stuff, so you won't mess things up.

If you have root, you have super user access. Which allow you to have access to things that wasn't allowed before ex. System files.

Superuser app allows other apps to have root access to the system.

For example.

Titanium backup app:
The app will back up certain things but won't back up stuff that it can't access.

The superuser app allows titanium backup to have root access(admin access) to allow titanium back to back up things that wasn't permitted before.

So what you're saying is at that point in the s-off tutorial I have to give the root superuser permission? I really don't know lol

Arkanius

I don't really update my ROMS daily or keep it on the bleeding edge anymore.
They are all the same thing usually, and are just winzip ROMS, it's so rare to find a custom ROM where the developer actually develops something. I just go with them for convenience in packaged ROOT and de-odexing

Top Bottom