• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

I have the ZAGG screen protector. I know some people don't like how thick they are but I love it. However it does have that rubbery feel so look elsewhere.

I have the ZAGG screen protector. I know some people don't like how thick they are but I love it. However it does have that rubbery feel so look elsewhere.

The ZAGG HD's are great. Feel like glass and they don't have that turtle shell effect.

Edit: And if anyone posts about not needing one, and include anecdotal evidence why, ignore them.

USF

Found the link. Think it's the same one this poster is using, posted from a few pages back.

The first time I looked at it I thought the back was covered but according to these pictures, it seems fine. Going off to order one now, 1.14$ is great value if they hold up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111133299516

Yep that's the one. I got two, one had a bit bump issue in the front since its so thin. I suggest buying more than one since its cheap cos you never know what you'll get.

Other than that, I've been using it for almost 3 months without any color/aging issues.

Joining the fray. Picked up the Best Buy blue edition for $50 w/ renewal and kept my unlimited data. I will miss my Galaxy Nexus though.
9789256224_0f84b03fdb_z.jpg

(My pic)

Fellow HTC GAF, I have a really annoying problem on hand.

I went to set up Google Voice (after my voicemail not being set up for months now without realizing), smh. and I i could not automatically set it up by changing the carrier to google voice. I was able to do it manually by entering my GV number in the call settings, however I changed some setting that determines how many seconds a call will ring before it goes to GV. I set it too short and it rings twice for people and goes straight to voicemail.

I cannot for the LIFE of me find this setting. I've been up and down through all settings including google voice settings and haven't found it. Any help would be appreciated!

Fellow HTC GAF, I have a really annoying problem on hand.

I went to set up Google Voice (after my voicemail not being set up for months now without realizing), smh. and I i could not automatically set it up by changing the carrier to google voice. I was able to do it manually by entering my GV number in the call settings, however I changed some setting that determines how many seconds a call will ring before it goes to GV. I set it too short and it rings twice for people and goes straight to voicemail.

I cannot for the LIFE of me find this setting. I've been up and down through all settings including google voice settings and haven't found it. Any help would be appreciated!

what carrier are you on?

How did you do this and keep your unlimited data? I have a GNex as well and was considering going for it...
Alternate upgrade. You'll need another line on the plan that either doesn't have unlimited data or is a low data user and they wouldn't mind losing unlimited if they have it. Transfer your upgrade to that line and activate the One on it. Transfer the phone that was originally there back onto that line and transfer the One onto your unlimited line (may need an extra SIM card). BB wasn't able to handle the last part for me so I called VZ when I got home and they switched the phones back with no problem and confirmed my unlimited was still in place. Google "alternate upgrade" as there are some good threads out there on it.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
All depends on what you want to do on it. Productivity? Social? Gaming? Lots of apps out there. Is this your first Android smart phone? Give us something to work with :)
Productivity social and gaming. I just want the best apps to use. Also yes it's my 1st android phone....so help me out plz

HildyB

Productivity social and gaming. I just want the best apps to use. Also yes it's my 1st android phone....so help me out plz

Well, social is pretty simple, your favorite social networks have apps. I use the following:

Any.do - Productivity To Do app

File Explorer

Flipboard

Helium - Backup your app data

Pocket - pocket lets you take save snippets/bookmarks from your browser

Pocket Casts - My person favorite podcast app

Swiftkey Keyboard - best keyboard prediction and swipe to type feature.

Textra - Another personal favorite

Timely Alarm Clock

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Well, social is pretty simple, your favorite social networks have apps. I use the following:

Any.do - Productivity To Do app

File Explorer

Flipboard

Helium - Backup your app data

Pocket - pocket lets you take save snippets/bookmarks from your browser

Pocket Casts - My person favorite podcast app

Swiftkey Keyboard - best keyboard prediction and swipe to type feature.

Textra - Another personal favorite

Timely Alarm Clock

Swiftkey and FLipboard are pretty rad...

I wanna ask...how are the SNES and GBA emulators and such?? are they worth buying?

With Smart Remote on sale, should I get the "Samsung/HTC" version that is "now compatible with all Samsung tablets and notes carrying an IR Blaster, as well as all similar HTC devices" to possibly futureproof myself if I end up getting a Sammy tablet or phone later; or stick to the HTC One specific version?

I'm rooted and running CleanROM 6.0 for reference.

eznark

Banned
With Smart Remote on sale, should I get the "Samsung/HTC" version that is "now compatible with all Samsung tablets and notes carrying an IR Blaster, as well as all similar HTC devices" to possibly futureproof myself if I end up getting a Sammy tablet or phone later; or stick to the HTC One specific version?

I'm rooted and running CleanROM 6.0 for reference.

Is that significantly better than just the build in remote on the HTC One?

womp

I just snagged one at Best Buy for $49 and am sadly retiring my Galaxy Nexus that I really loved but was starting to show its age. Deal was too good to pass up, and the device is just beautiful. I managed to get the last one in stock too so it seems the sale is really helping to push them out. I was tossing and turning over this and the S4 for a couple weeks now but when it came down to it, I just loved the build quality, the more natural color of the screen and how it felt in hand. Plus Samsung tends to have middling cellular reception from my experience and already the One seems to be an improvement.

The only upsetting thing, especially coming from my GNex, is that I won't get to mess with my phone like I used to. I really hope they can re-attain root again, I miss my adblock and Titanium Backup. :(

Hopefully 4.3 comes at the end of this month like planned.

Is that 4.3 for the Sense version or Google Play edition or both?

Kibbles

Has anyone received their $25 since they last email saying they sorry they were late and that it's coming soon? Like shit, wtf.

gcubed

I just snagged one at Best Buy for $49 and am sadly retiring my Galaxy Nexus that I really loved but was starting to show its age. Deal was too good to pass up, and the device is just beautiful. I managed to get the last one in stock too so it seems the sale is really helping to push them out. I was tossing and turning over this and the S4 for a couple weeks now but when it came down to it, I just loved the build quality, the more natural color of the screen and how it felt in hand. Plus Samsung tends to have middling cellular reception from my experience and already the One seems to be an improvement.

The only upsetting thing, especially coming from my GNex, is that I won't get to mess with my phone like I used to. I really hope they can re-attain root again, I miss my adblock and Titanium Backup. :(

Is that 4.3 for the Sense version or Google Play edition or both?

Gpe has been on 4.3 for a while... If you have a gsm version you can always move to the gpe ROM rooted. Do it before 4.3 because you won't be able to soff

Sun Drugs

Has anyone received their $25 since they last email saying they sorry they were late and that it's coming soon? Like shit, wtf.

I haven't. That email was in mid August, not sure what is taking so long. A lot of people got their credit within two weeks of submitting that like in July.

Why doesn't the stock HTC sense browser display gifs properly? I'd normally use Chrome but I want to conserve battery life while at work(on the road).

I'd disagree with that. Downloaded and tried it and it's a pain to set up.

The inbuilt TV app automatically configures your phone like a harmony remote so that the volume button on the phone works the receiver volume while channel up and down works the cable box. With this $5 app I have to set up "tasks" to tell it what I want it. to do, and keep switching between remotes. The tasks I set up didn't work at all either.

The HTC one is league's better. Waste of $5 for me :(

eznark

Banned
I'd disagree with that. Downloaded and tried it and it's a pain to set up.

The inbuilt TV app automatically configures your phone like a harmony remote so that the volume button on the phone works the receiver volume while channel up and down works the cable box. With this $5 app I have to set up "tasks" to tell it what I want it. to do, and keep switching between remotes. The tasks I set up didn't work at all either.

The HTC one is league's better. Waste of $5 for me :(

lol, no. Take two minutes to set it up and the feature set is 1000x more impressive. You can even set it up so that you can control essentially everything from one single screen unlike the built in one which requires you to switch remotes all the time. It's incredibly powerful but yeah, if you're not willing to put even the tiniest bit of effort into using it it's probably not for you. It's definitely more of a power user app.

You don't have to set up tasks, you just pick which buttons are on the screen. It's awesome.

Volotaire

All this screen protector talk has got me worried from earlier. The ones mentioned don't seem to be available in the UK, so any Europeans hot any ideas.

lol, no. Take two minutes to set it up and the feature set is 1000x more impressive. You can even set it up so that you can control essentially everything from one single screen unlike the built in one which requires you to switch remotes all the time. It's incredibly powerful but yeah, if you're not willing to put even the tiniest bit of effort into using it it's probably not for you. It's definitely more of a power user app.

You don't have to set up tasks, you just pick which buttons are on the screen. It's awesome.

You accuse me of not spending time with it yet fail torealise that you need to set up a task to control the volume of your receiver with the volume buttons on the side of the phone? It takes two minutes of using the app to realise this.

But yeah, I guess if you aren't willing to put the tiniest bit of effort into using the app you wouldn't know this would you.

eznark

Banned
You can control the receiver from the buttons on the screen, you never have to set up a task for it to do the same things as any other remote and it's got tons of fantastic features.

Does the built in app do that with the volume controls? I never tried it because I can't figure why it'd be useful. Neat though.

Milly79

Just today my phone would auto rotate without it being on, and most of the day it would stay in landscape. It would hardly charge, plus while on the phone the speaker would randomly turn on, as well as muting itself. This is my second HTC One in 3 months, kinda scary. Luckily it was fixed by a reset.

Anyone else have these types of issues?

reKon

Banned
Just today my phone would auto rotate without it being on, and most of the day it would stay in landscape. It would hardly charge, plus while on the phone the speaker would randomly turn on, as well as muting itself. This is my second HTC One in 3 months, kinda scary. Luckily it was fixed by a reset.

Anyone else have these types of issues?

Are you using a different charger? Also did the phone keep trying to go into car mode?

Milly79

Are you using a different charger? Also did the phone keep trying to go into car mode?

Nope, have always used the charger/cable that came with the phone. Also no on the car mode. I have never used it at all. Now the thing won't connect to my home WiFi. Ugh.

Edit- Fixed by changing my router password that worked before I reset it? Uh, okay. :lol

Edit x2- Did anyone get their Google Play credit? I signed up twice with 2 different emails and phones and never got it, nor received the "coming soon" email some got.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
There's 4.2?

Every time I click to see if there are upgrades it tells me there aren't any, I'm still on 4.1....

Nope, they skipped 4.2 for us and are going straight to 4.3. It's supposed to be out by the end of September, but here we are.

EDIT: What the fuck, I thought my phone has been plugged in all night but apparently it never started charging so my battery's about dead an hour before I have to head out. I hope that doesn't start becoming a problem. :\

VoxPop

You guys should just install ARHD w/ 4.3 Sense or the GPE 4.3 ROMs. Don't get why you all stress over waiting for minor updates when its readily available to use online. :p

RoKKeR

Has anybody figured out how to get the transparent clock on the lockscreen of Sense 5 as just a normal widget? There is one with a solid background but I want transparency damnit!

Has anybody figured out how to get the transparent clock on the lockscreen of Sense 5 as just a normal widget? There is one with a solid background but I want transparency damnit!

Not exactly the answer you're looking for but if you're rooted you can install ARHD 22.0 and it comes with some optional tweaks. One is transparent sense widgets.

Top Bottom