• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
noq the question is are codes country specific or do any codes work in any country that allows codes at all.

gotta be someone else from canada here who got an htc code.

Ah ok, I misunderstood. The google help site only has a case for UK -> US code redemption but it seems this is the answer:

Can [it] only be used to purchase or rent content sold in local currency?
If you purchase a Google Play gift card in the United Kingdom and then travel to the United States, you won’t be able to redeem your Google Play balance since paid content is sold in dollars.

So my guess would be no, USD based codes wouldn't work for CAD. Can't find anyone on XDA or the HTC reddit who has tested this yet though.

Twio

Just convinced my sister to buy the HTC One in Red on Sprint.

It actually looks a lot better in person than it does online. I still prefer my silver 'one' though.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
fuuuuuuuuu.....Sprint gets the update faster than T-Mobile customers (like me)??
My friend showed all the new features and shit especially being able to select my own music for my Zoe films...

Animator

I bought a Galaxy S4 today because the screen looked amazing in person. Sadly thats the only thing amazing with the phone since I hate everything else about it. Especially the shitty build and the atrocious sound quality.

I am going to be returning it first thing tomorrow and will pick up a HTC One instead. I have a couple questions:

-Will I get the firmware updates in time (is it still android 4.1?) I am going to be getting it from Wind Mobile in Canada.

-How do you guys like the audio quality with headphones on for listening to music? I will be using Apple iphone earbuds, they sound absolutely great with my old ass HTC Radar and sound like ass on Galaxy S4. Hoping HTC One is better in that department.

Addnan

-How do you guys like the audio quality with headphones on for listening to music? I will be using Apple iphone earbuds, they sound absolutely great with my old ass HTC Radar and sound like ass on Galaxy S4. Hoping HTC One is better in that department.

Don't know about the rest of your questions, but HTC One sounds great with headphones. The Galaxy phones are terrible for it, the HTC sounds quality is like the iPhone 4S which is also pretty great. They should work fine with Apple headphones, I run a big AKG from my phone and sounds almost as good as it does when running it from my PC.

womp

I bought a Galaxy S4 today because the screen looked amazing in person. Sadly thats the only thing amazing with the phone since I hate everything else about it. Especially the shitty build and the atrocious sound quality.

I am going to be returning it first thing tomorrow and will pick up a HTC One instead. I have a couple questions:

-Will I get the firmware updates in time (is it still android 4.1?) I am going to be getting it from Wind Mobile in Canada.

My Verizon HTC One came with 4.2.2 and 4.3 is already rolling out to most of the carriers, although I suspect the Big Red will be last. :p

The phone is awesome, you will love it. I was going back and forth between the S4 and One for a couple of weeks but that $49 deal at Best Buy for the One was too much to ignore and the fit and finish of it is amazing.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I went from using some ATH-EW9s in an iPod Classic to my HTC One streaming over Google Play and the audio quality difference is immense. I haven't had a portable player push these quite so well. The speaker quality is impressive too, its able to project most everything I give it without distortion.

I don't think you can be disappointed by the sound quality.

Animator

Off to replace the S4 with the One. Expect lots more questions from me tonight :)

There is probably another thread for this but what do you guys recommend for must have apps. I don't play games on the phone so I am mostly interested in news/productivity/health&fitness apps. I have been using a windows 7 phone for the past three years so the idea of having apps is alien to me now. :)

reKon

Banned
All it does is make you wonder why more companies aren't putting this kind of speaker setup into more devices.

This and the new Nexus 7 are the most impressive tablet/phone external speaker sound I have heard.

Nexus 7 sounds clear, but way more tinny compared to the One. Personally, I enjoyed the speaker output from the HP TouchPad

gcubed

As a final note to US GSM One users... once you update, you can't unlock your bootloader. If you have a desire to do it in the future, do it now!

Arkanius

Off to replace the S4 with the One. Expect lots more questions from me tonight :)

There is probably another thread for this but what do you guys recommend for must have apps. I don't play games on the phone so I am mostly interested in news/productivity/health&fitness apps. I have been using a windows 7 phone for the past three years so the idea of having apps is alien to me now. :)

Depends really on what you want to do. My most used apps on my One are Gmail, default Calendar, DashClock, Action launcher Pro, Falcon Pro, Reddit Sync, KeePassDroid, TitaniumBackup, Authenticator, Dropbox, AdAway, SnapSeed, WhatsApp

Animator

Thanks I will check those out.

Picked up the phone a couple hours earlier and I am pretty much in love with it, this is pretty much the perfect phone for me. I see some people complain about that windows phone like home page HTC has on the One but I love that. That was sorta my favorite thing on windows phones and I find it much more appealing and clean looking than the Galaxy S4 which looks like my parents desktop.

Now my only worry is if Wind will get off their ass and push the 4.3 update to us because the phone is still on 4.1.

Thanks I will check those out.

Picked up the phone a couple hours earlier and I am pretty much in love with it, this is pretty much the perfect phone for me. I see some people complain about that windows phone like home page HTC has on the One but I love that. That was sorta my favorite thing on windows phones and I find it much more appealing and clean looking than the Galaxy S4 which looks like my parents desktop.

Now my only worry is if Wind will get off their ass and push the 4.3 update to us because the phone is still on 4.1.

Wind? I'm so, so sorry.

still on 4.1.2. at&t don't really want to get into custom ROMs this go around as I've always found there's either something missing, or something glitchy about a ROM after install. I feel like you pick features vs bugs you can deal with going that route.

Has anyone heard anything on an offical att update? Tired of 4.1 already

still on 4.1.2. at&t don't really want to get into custom ROMs this go around as I've always found there's either something missing, or something glitchy about a ROM after install. I feel like you pick features vs bugs you can deal with going that route.

Has anyone heard anything on an offical att update? Tired of 4.1 already

Why not unlock it and just flash with the developer edition ROMs? Those are official from HTC without AT&T bloatware and will hit a lot sooner.

womp

Freaking OTA from Verizon arrived...it isn't 4.3 but some BS 'stability release' and I am too paranoid to accept it and have it ruin my chances of future root. XDA guys are recommending to NOT take it.

Sanic

Can I disable the premium purchase icon on the visual voicemail app? (on Sprint)

I unsubscribed from the free trial, but I don't want that button there. I don't need to have IAPs on the damn voicemail app that comes with the phone.

Arkanius

Is anyone using custom ROM's with the HTC One?
Most of them remove Facebook as a default app, and that breaks the big picture sync and Blinkfeed sync. Does anyone know of a fix for that?

EDIT:

Found out why my blinkfeed sync dont work. If I deselect the option to install Facebook and Twitter in the AROMA installer most ROM's use, they also remove all the sync libraries. I usually deselected due me having the most recent application. Solved!

So for us on AT&T we should be getting the update tomorrow? If so I can't wait.

I'm also getting my phone replaced under warranty because of a faulty camera. Pink and purple tint with what looks like tiger stripes on the lens.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Anybody want to give me a quick rundown of what to expect on 4.3? Hoping to get it tomorrow on ATT.

shitload of nifty features...like customizing htc zoe...such as adding your own tunes to your zoe's. Also, some other finger swiping features I forget...

womp

The Verizon exploit worked like a charm. S-off, unlocked and rooted. Good times.

Could you point me towards the HTC drivers you used?

I am a bit hesitant to do the S-Off because of the lack of a stock ROM to fall back on. I am also not on the up and up on how HTC devices handle unlocking, even though I've been doing this sort of stuff since getting a Droid in 2009. :)

RoKKeR

I checked for an update in the AT&T software update in the settings and it found it right away.

Got it, had to mess with my date because I had checked in the morning before the rolled it out I guess.

Well I've got it. Quick settings from the notification bar is nice but that's about all I notice. I'll have to check out some of the other things included.

Also, what is this MTP Mode business?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
AT&T's servers must be getting hammered, because it's telling me they're non responsive when I ping for an update and try to again later. :|

Edit: Downloading it!

Could you point me towards the HTC drivers you used?

I am a bit hesitant to do the S-Off because of the lack of a stock ROM to fall back on. I am also not on the up and up on how HTC devices handle unlocking, even though I've been doing this sort of stuff since getting a Droid in 2009. :)

This thread has them. Under "1)set up adb" there is a link to the drivers. The S-off process will also unlock your phone at the same time. Install custom recovery for root. There are some close to stock ROMs out there and I'm sure someone will have stock soon.

What's the benefit of doing this?
S-off = Security off. More open than unlocked, rooted, etc. Can literally change anything on the phone.

Top Bottom