• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

I tried to upgrade to ARHD 30 w/ 4.3 and Sense 5.5 and had to go back down to 4.2.2. Unlike when I upgraded to 4.2.2, it wasn't a smooth transition this time. If I tried to just upgrade, I'd get a ton of errors. If I tried to do a wipe during the upgrade, then I had problems trying to get back to where I was with a restore. I'm assuming TWRP is good for recovery to go back down, and Go Pro said there was all this data corruption among a ton of apps and a lot of stuff didn't get put back in place. Google's restore barely did anything. A few apps downloaded and that was it. Anyone recommend a better option to migrate to a new ARHD?

Also, it looks like HTC removed the ability to set a different wallpaper for your lockscreen that differs from the one you set for your homescreen. Is there any way to replicate this functionality again?

I use TWRP and it's been fine for me.

So you booted to recovery, wiped the data and the cache then selected the zip and flashed but got errors? What did they say?

Sadly they sis remove the lock screen stuff but I think that's due to it only being a partial sense 5.5 addition instead of the full version. It's also missing panorama+ and dual shot.

I use TWRP and it's been fine for me.

So you booted to recovery, wiped the data and the cache then selected the zip and flashed but got errors? What did they say?

Sadly they sis remove the lock screen stuff but I think that's due to it only being a partial sense 5.5 addition instead of the full version. It's also missing panorama+ and dual shot.

Oh no, wiping the data is fine. I just had problems when not wiping. I was trying to avoid doing a restore. If I do a wipe, it's fine, but then I'm having an issue of trying to find the path of least resistance to getting my phone back to where it was before updating. Restoring a TWRP backup just puts me back down to 4.2.2.

Oh no, wiping the data is fine. I just had problems when not wiping. I was trying to avoid doing a restore. If I do a wipe, it's fine, but then I'm having an issue of trying to find the path of least resistance to getting my phone back to where it was before updating. Restoring a TWRP backup just puts me back down to 4.2.2.

Ahhh, yeah appparently without a wipe it can cause no end of issues due to it being a new version of sense.

Funnily enough HTC backup has managed to restore my phones apps and settings perfectly just by signing back in. I didn't even know I'd had it fully enabled.

Ahhh, yeah appparently without a wipe it can cause no end of issues due to it being a new version of sense.

Funnily enough HTC backup has managed to restore my phones apps and settings perfectly just by signing back in. I didn't even know I'd had it fully enabled.

I just tried the HTC Backup and it got me mostly there. Maybe about 80%. None of the organization of my app drawer was still there, a couple apps didn't get installed, all the accounts had to be signed in and apps that are usually running in the background had to start up again like power toggles, greenify, and cerebus, But it's a lot better than starting from complete scratch.

A couple things I've noticed so far:

- You now have one more home screen that you can use regardless if you use Blink Feed or not. This is a welcome addition.

- I keep getting an annoying warning when I'm connected to WiFi but there's no Internet access. This didn't happen before and I want to turn it off. I use WiFi in a situation just to talk to a device that doesn't have an Internet connection but now this annoying pop up is happening. Is there any way to get rid of this?

- It sucks that you can't set a different lockscreen wallpaper from your home screen. How can I fix this?

I just tried the HTC Backup and it got me mostly there. Maybe about 80%. None of the organization of my app drawer was still there, a couple apps didn't get installed, all the accounts had to be signed in and apps that are usually running in the background had to start up again like power toggles, greenify, and cerebus, But it's a lot better than starting from complete scratch.

A couple things I've noticed so far:

- You now have one more home screen that you can use regardless if you use Blink Feed or not. This is a welcome addition.

- I keep getting an annoying warning when I'm connected to WiFi but there's no Internet access. This didn't happen before and I want to turn it off. I use WiFi in a situation just to talk to a device that doesn't have an Internet connection but now this annoying pop up is happening. Is there any way to get rid of this?

- It sucks that you can't set a different lockscreen wallpaper from your home screen. How can I fix this?

Never seen that WiFi notification before, that's an odd one. Not sure how to fix that, sorry.

You can't fix the lockscreen wallpaper sadly as it isn't in this version of sense. I'd suggest just using widgetlocker.

MattDoza

Getting a new case since the Diztronic I have now is pretty stained and beat up.

Going to be ordering one of these Rock cases:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C3OQNLG

Here's a video showing it off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVOfhM-FRnc

Looks pretty good for it only being $7.99, the only downside is the shipping takes pretty long from China.

Just thought I'd let you guys know about the case I found since there aren't that many good ones out there for our phones.

Hey, did you end up ordering this? If so, did you receive it yet? Thinking about getting one. Not sure on White or Silver.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
anyone with htc one with tmobile experiencing frequent reboots after the update??

MattDoza

Going to buy an HTC One tomorrow at T-Mobile! quick question guys, does it scratch easily? cause I don't wanna put a case on that beauty.
The chamfered edges can get nicked up. The white polycarbonate wrap can get scratched. And the aluminum back can get scratched on tough surfaces. It all depends on how well you handle your phone, and where.

The chamfered edges can get nicked up. The white polycarbonate wrap can get scratched. And the aluminum back can get scratched on tough surfaces. It all depends on how well you handle your phone, and where.

Guess I'm gonna have to buy a case then. What about those screen protectors/back protectors? I used to rock my iPhone without a case but with a transparent screen/back protector, do they sell those for the One?

EDIT: Nvm, found one.

Is anyone else getting the problem where the camera in picture mode is not updating what is in front of the camera? It takes the pictures just fine but I cant see what I am taking a picture of since it gets stuck on whatever it first looked at when the app was opened. If I switch to video mode then everything is working perfectly.

Most likely getting a new phone tomorrow and I'm leaning towards this over a 5S. How's the battery life? Most of the reviews I've read said it was good, but I've seen people posting comments that it sucks... but they could just be trolling.

Most likely getting a new phone tomorrow and I'm leaning towards this over a 5S. How's the battery life? Most of the reviews I've read said it was good, but I've seen people posting comments that it sucks... but they could just be trolling.

I make it through the day without any issues. I'm at 43% and it's been 18 hours since I unplugged my phone.

Arkanius

It has the best battery life on an Android phone for me.
The max I got was two days, however the second day I was already self conscious of the battery levels since I wasn't nearby a charger.

I bought the One last week and it's my first Android phone. I am still on 4.22 and the update was released in germany some days ago, but I can't update the phone. Even though I'm searching for them.
How does the updates go on? Do I just have to wait some waiting list or sth.?
I don't think that my Phone is branded.

thx in advance :)

Addnan

My phone updated to 4.3 yesterday, today I connect it to my PC to add some music and it's not opening up like a storage device. Just HTC Sync Manager comes up. I don't want to have to deal with that stuff. I must be missing something in the settings. I just can't find it.

eznark

Banned
I have a software update on my Verizon one. I started the download but it failed, I have no idea how to restart the download.

Any ideas?

Sun Drugs

My phone updated to 4.3 yesterday, today I connect it to my PC to add some music and it's not opening up like a storage device. Just HTC Sync Manager comes up. I don't want to have to deal with that stuff. I must be missing something in the settings. I just can't find it.

Mine does that too ever since I upgraded to 4.3. It is called MTP mode. I have no clue how to disable it.

I ordered a Nexus 5 last week as my first Android phone and I'm waiting for it to ship later this month but I have to say, everytime I play with my coworker's HTC One, it makes me think about cancelling my order and getting this instead...

womp

17 hours of normal usage...25% remaining. Best battery life I have experienced on an Android phone thus far (Outside a MAXX) and I've been rocking them since the original Droid. ;)

I wouldn't worry.

RoKKeR

May or may not have just gotten some water in my top speaker grill during a call and the volume dropped massively. Now the top speaker is significantly quoted than the bottom speaker.

Fuck me, what do GAF?

Cryst

The whole attracting Asians to come over night to fix your electronics thing? Does that really work? Thought it was a myth.

I'm Asian so it's not racist

The rice is supposed to absorb the water/moisture like a desiccant. Could probably throw in a pack of the silica gel desiccants we all get from time to time too.

Achtius

For some reason, I am starting to get slow down on the phone. It takes like 2-3 sec to open youtube app, when before it's instance =/

Just got my blue One from BB.. God damn, I never thought it would take me close to an hour sitting in front of the teller just to have all the papers and the phone activated. I feel bad of the elderly waiting behind me. They didn't even have a chair to sit on.

back to the phone. Boy did they made a mistake putting the power button on the top side of the phone. Should be on the right side where a thumb could reach it. SO far that is the only thing that I didn't like. Curved back is genius.

Coming from S1 before this, I ditched touchwiz(it sucked) for ADW launcher. Tried a bit of htc "sense UI" (if that is the right word for it), went straight to app store and downloaded the ADW launcher again.. It's not that sense is terrible, its just that ADW is way better w/ screen gestures, better app drawer and probably a few more features I have not discovered yet. I will definitely miss blinkfeed though.

Thinking about rooting the phone too, but so far everything is buttery smooth.

Top Bottom