• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Being able to customize the dock now is great. I've also switched from the stock browser to Chrome, as it has improved drastically. Love the new tab features.

btrboyev

Never buying an HTC phone again and this is my first experience with them. My phone was at 70% charge today around 3:30pm and I was watching a youtube video. The video stopped, I set my phone down to use the restroom, I come back, I pick up my phone and it is dead. It won't charge, trying to reset via power and volume doesn't fix it...it's just dead. Called HTC and they said they would repair it if it qualifies...I'd rather they just send me a new unit. Fucking garbage.

I have the worst luck with expensive electronics. I bought this junk off contract.

AlphaSnake

You've always been able to customize the dock.

Nope. Definitely not. In stock format with 4.1.2 you could not take apps in and out of the dock. You could only rearrange them. Now you can add new apps and even have folders inside the dock. FOLDERS!

MattDoza

Nope. Definitely not. In stock format with 4.1.2 you could not take apps in and out of the dock. You could only rearrange them. Now you can add new apps and even have folders inside the dock. FOLDERS!

Nah, you could always do that. You just had to do it from the app drawer, and couldn't do it from anywhere.

Uhm, yes you could lol.

You just had to do it from the app drawer, not the home screen.

Not sure on folders though, but I'd done it to individual apps within the first week of it coming out.

Edit: Dammit Matt *shakes fist*

womp

This thread has them. Under "1)set up adb" there is a link to the drivers. The S-off process will also unlock your phone at the same time. Install custom recovery for root. There are some close to stock ROMs out there and I'm sure someone will have stock soon.

S-off = Security off. More open than unlocked, rooted, etc. Can literally change anything on the phone.

Thanks, I had already figured it out by the time you posted. ;D

Merely running the exploit was enough to get me root though which is great because I really just wanted to run stock with root anyhow. Probably going to need a good custom ROM before Verizon pushes the 4.3 OTA however.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
anybody know an app that has awesome wallpapers/backgrounds for htc one? Also an app for live wallpapers/backgrounds.

I'm also getting my phone replaced under warranty because of a faulty camera. Pink and purple tint with what looks like tiger stripes on the lens.
Update:

Got my HTC One replaced today. No more tiger stripes on the camera lens, but the purple and pink hue on the camera under low light is still there.

I don't know if this is the same for everyone and just something we have to deal with or should I ask for another replacement?

This one also has a small gap at the top whereas mine didn't.

Transferring all my info over, re-downloading my apps, and doing the update again seems like such a hassle just to get another replacement that has the same issues though.

As much as I like this phone, I must say the build quality isn't the best.

Edit:

It looks like a pretty widespread issue:
http://m.androidauthority.com/htc-one-camera-purple-tint-268232/

Getting a new case since the Diztronic I have now is pretty stained and beat up.

Going to be ordering one of these Rock cases:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C3OQNLG

Here's a video showing it off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVOfhM-FRnc

Looks pretty good for it only being $7.99, the only downside is the shipping takes pretty long from China.

Just thought I'd let you guys know about the case I found since there aren't that many good ones out there for our phones.

frogg609

I haven't gotten my OTA Update from AT&T yet. I've had it check, and there are no updates, and my phone is still on 4.1.2. Is there a way to force it to update?

So most of the changes are to blink feed? Does anyone actually use blink feed?

Yep, every day but if you don't want it, Sense 5.5 lets you disable it now. Plenty of changes all around though. Custom quick access settings, new gallery, new camera features, etc.

eznark

Banned
I just switched to Nova and never looked back. Honestly the thing that did it for me was the limited number of home screens. Did they get rid of that?

I just switched to Nova and never looked back. Honestly the thing that did it for me was the limited number of home screens. Did they get rid of that?

How many homescreens do you need? More than 5, seriously? Do you set it like an iPhone with just apps everywhere?

To answer your question though, I'm not sure if they increased it. However removing BlinkFeed will give you an extra screen.

eznark

Banned
There is very little swiping. Each page has widgets specific to a purpose kind of. One page is a calendar and any. Do widget. One is apps organized in folders, one is five audio widgets (MLB, Spotify, podcasts, audible, espn radio), reddit widget, twitter widget, press widget. The last three resized to take up the entire page for scrolling. Way faster than opening each app when I just want to browse quickly.

What screen protector would you guys recommend?

I've always felt I didn't need one until I got 4 big scratches on my HTC One within the first couple of months of having it. My main fear was having it affect the clarity and sharpness of the screen, but now I realize I don't have a choice unless I want this one to get scratched too.

I kept the phone in a pocket by itself, never with keys or anything that might scratch it. And whenever I put it down I always did it facing upwards.

So now that I got a replacement one I want to make sure my new screen stays scratch-free.

Arkanius

Sense 5.5 is very good. No need for Xposed now for the Quick Access Menu shortcuts.
Lockscreen changes and widgets now are much easier to use. The PIN lockscreen is also different. Messages show more previews per line (configurable) and Safari, erm... everything seems snapier

10/10 would Sense again

Arkanius

There is very little swiping. Each page has widgets specific to a purpose kind of. One page is a calendar and any. Do widget. One is apps organized in folders, one is five audio widgets (MLB, Spotify, podcasts, audible, espn radio), reddit widget, twitter widget, press widget. The last three resized to take up the entire page for scrolling. Way faster than opening each app when I just want to browse quickly.

Check Action Launcher. You will love it since you can reduce all your homescreens to 1 homescreen if you use Shutters

AlphaSnake

So most of the changes are to blink feed? Does anyone actually use blink feed?

Yep. I love it.

I read AutoBlog, The Verge, Engadget, ESPN, etc. So why not have it all in one place. It's like my own personal 'Google News' page.

womp

What screen protector would you guys recommend?

I've always felt I didn't need one until I got 4 big scratches on my HTC One within the first couple of months of having it. My main fear was having it affect the clarity and sharpness of the screen, but now I realize I don't have a choice unless I want this one to get scratched too.

I kept the phone in a pocket by itself, never with keys or anything that might scratch it. And whenever I put it down I always did it facing upwards.

So now that I got a replacement one I want to make sure my new screen stays scratch-free.

Using these...put them on mine and my brother's One.

Work great.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CDWTQD0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

eznark

Banned
Yep. I love it.

I read AutoBlog, The Verge, Engadget, ESPN, etc. So why not have it all in one place. It's like my own personal 'Google News' page.

My problem is that it's a super limited RSS reader in an ecosystem with a bunch of really good RSS readers.

MattDoza

Blinkfeed added support for third party readers didn't they? Anyone added feedly, digg, or whatever yet? That was my only beef with it; It was a very small selection of sources.

Lamel

Banned
So I just got the HTC one a few days ago on T-Mobile, really loving it so far. I had an HTC sensation before, so I am used to android and HTC software.

Any obvious tips and tricks you guys want to share?

Also, I heard there is an update out, but not for T-mobile yet?

I'm having an issue with my replacement HTC One. Can't believe I tested out everything on the phone, except for the phone part itself lol.

When I make a phone call, the other person can't hear me unless I turn the speakerphone on or I use headphones that have a mic. If I hold the phone and speak directly into the mic they can hear me somewhat ok. But if I hold it up to my ear like you normally would when you talk on the phone, they can't hear me at all.

I called up my AT&T warranty repair center and they told me to come in tomorrow for another replacement since they're out of stock today.

I tried to upgrade to ARHD 30 w/ 4.3 and Sense 5.5 and had to go back down to 4.2.2. Unlike when I upgraded to 4.2.2, it wasn't a smooth transition this time. If I tried to just upgrade, I'd get a ton of errors. If I tried to do a wipe during the upgrade, then I had problems trying to get back to where I was with a restore. I'm assuming TWRP is good for recovery to go back down, and Go Pro said there was all this data corruption among a ton of apps and a lot of stuff didn't get put back in place. Google's restore barely did anything. A few apps downloaded and that was it. Anyone recommend a better option to migrate to a new ARHD?

Also, it looks like HTC removed the ability to set a different wallpaper for your lockscreen that differs from the one you set for your homescreen. Is there any way to replicate this functionality again?

Top Bottom