• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evo X

127lxb.jpg

Durante

I'm back.
After roughly 10 hours of taking turns with a friend in VR (interrupted by a charging break of an hour or so).

We didn't even get to try half the games I already bought.

Anyway, I'm really tired and it's 4:25 AM but I promised Zalusithix I'd post exact measurements of the Vive mounting brackets, so I did (also includes images).

Brackets measure as length 8.4 cm / width: 4.45 cm / depth: 3 mm (Where the screws pass through, slightly curved)

Mounting holes are symmetric and centered exactly 1 cm from the ends (6.4 cm center <-> center distance). Their diameter is 5 mm. The length of the included screws is exactly 4 cm (after the cap).

Very early and likely confused by the hour and exhaustion game impressions:
The Lab: surprisingly polished and diverse, both graphically and in the types of gameplay demonstrated. My favourites were the archery game and Xortex (the bullet hell shooter). The interactivity in the lab itself was also amazing. Oh, and the trademark Valve humor is there in robot repair and the calibration testing. I love the robot dog.

Space Pirate Trainer: it&#8217;s a very simple foundation, but despite the straightforward mechanics it actually seems to have a very significant stratification in terms of skill. I think it&#8217;s a game where, even at this early state, you can spend a lot of time playing and notice a continuing increase in your skill and accomplishments, which is always rewarding. Better anti-aliasing would be nice, it seemed a lot worse than all the other games I played today in that regard.

Water Bears VR: I got this for free in some promotion, and after the real physical exhaustion and sensory overload of Space Pirate Trainer (and Xortex in The Lab before it) we wanted to try something a bit more laid back. It&#8217;s a fun puzzle game with surprisingly good production values and very intuitive controls. It&#8217;s also really &#8220;complete&#8221;, unlike some of the other games which do feel like the early access titles that they are.
And the &#8220;Water Bears&#8221; (which you can interact with after completing each level) are extremely cute, so this is a game to show off to anyone enthralled by that.

Cloudlands VR Minigolf: it&#8217;s minigolf, in VR. Except the courses are often a lot more inventive than what you&#8217;d find in reality. The controls work very well after a small adjusting period, but the game is surprisingly challenging in how it sets the par for each hole. Room scale helps a lot here in being able to actually walk around the ball or get down on the ground and check the intended trajectory of a shot.

Audioshield: perhaps the game I was most hyped for, having played Audiosurf for over 400 hours. It does not disappoint. The best part was starting off with a random semi-obscure song (Dogfight by M.O.V.E.) and someone had already played it!

Anyway, I&#8217;ll probably be capable of more coherent thoughts later.

I don't seem to be getting audio through my DP to miniDP cable. Am I missing something? I know it's capable of passing audio.
I only got the Vive HDMI audio device option (it's still "HDMI" even if you use DP) in the SteamVR audio settings after a reboot.

Good night.

You guys weren't kidding about Unseen Diplomacy, lord that was like a religious experience. Such unique interaction, lightly tapping a crystal as it floats in front of me, bah gawd the tracking makes that something incredible. Loving everything so far, only thing that's been dragging it down is some judder from headset tracking, I don't have a free outlet for the breakout box dc so using it on a power strip, could that be what's causing my headset lag? Does the firmware update improve things in that regard? Will do in a bit, my friend is using it now.

IMACOMPUTA

You guys weren't kidding about Unseen Diplomacy, lord that was like a religious experience. Such unique interaction, lightly tapping a crystal as it floats in front of me, bah gawd the tracking makes that something incredible. Loving everything so far, only thing that's been dragging it down is some judder from headset tracking, I don't have a free outlet for the breakout box dc so using it on a power strip, could that be what's causing my headset lag? Does the firmware update improve things in that regard? Will do in a bit, my friend is using it now.
Did you turn off asynchronous timewarp?

viveks86

You guys weren't kidding about Unseen Diplomacy, lord that was like a religious experience. Such unique interaction, lightly tapping a crystal as it floats in front of me, bah gawd the tracking makes that something incredible.

Haven't played unseen diplomacy yet, but are you sure you aren't talking about Irrational Exuberance?

Wallach

Isn't that a Rift CV1 feature? I recall hearing about a similar method Vive uses but can't remember the name, reprojection maybe? Nah pretty sure that's psvr.

Interleaved reprojection. Right-click game in library -> Properties -> Enable Reprojection. It's on by default, but kind of wack implementation and it fucked up a bunch of Unity titles (which are a lot of current VR titles). May want to try turning it off for that game.

viveks86

Isn't that a Rift CV1 feature? I recall hearing about a similar method Vive uses but can't remember the name, reprojection maybe? Nah pretty sure that's psvr.

Other than reprojection, you might want to make sure you are not locked at 60. I had slightly laggy controllers at 60 because RTSS was running and I'd forgotten about it

Haven't played unseen diplomacy yet, but are you sure you aren't talking about Irrational Exuberance?

Yeah you're right it's Irrational Exuberance!

Interleaved reprojection. Right-click game in library -> Properties -> Enable Reprojection. It's on by default, but kind of wack implementation and it fucked up a bunch of Unity titles (which are a lot of current VR titles). May want to try turning it off for that game.

Alright thx I'll give that a try.

Other than reprojection, you might want to make sure you are not locked at 60. I had slightly laggy controllers at 60 because RTSS was running and I'd forgotten about it

Just pulled up fraps, 90 is definitely being hit but getting framedrops, so wondering if it's just my system. I meet the minimum with gpu but have a 3570k, prob due for an upgrade right about now lol.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I used my DK2 VRCover on my Pre. It is a bit too large, but you can pull the fabric back once you have the HMD on.

It makes the experience much more pleasant, as your skin doesn't sweat as much with cotton against it as opposed to plastic foam.

My buddy got a Vive, and we're trying it for the first time. Does anyone have a tip for activating the pass-thru camera? I turned on all the settings for it in SteamVR, but we still can't get it to turn on with the double-tap of that button.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
My buddy got a Vive, and we're trying it for the first time. Does anyone have a tip for activating the pass-thru camera? I turned on all the settings for it in SteamVR, but we still can't get it to turn on with the double-tap of that button.

On my Pre I had to use the latest SteamVR beta as well as the latest Steam client beta to get it to work.

I assumed at realease they integrated it into the normal branches, but maybe not?

So the more I think about it, the more I think I might cancel my Rift preorder and just roll with my Vive for now. Vive gives me all VR experiences now, and I really don't need both. Hopefully Valkyrie isn't too far off.

So you can actually order one of these right now? I wanted to order an oculus but when tried to buy, it said that expected ship date is august.

So I checked out vive's buy option and it said "in stock". Is that true? You can buy it and get it "shortly" (ie within a few weeks)?

Seems oculus prices are insane on ebay right now, and although I'd prefer an oculus I would just buy vive instead if I can get within weeks instead of 4 months.

Also - so if you dont care about room scale (I dont have the room ATM) can you just put a sensor on your desk or something or have to mount it up high?

The personality core game in The Lab is so much fun, and that A-game comedy writing and VO casting of Valve's makes it all the better. Justin Roiland needs to do a vo cameo in every VR game.

Love Longbow too, at first I was complete ass at it but second time something clicked and it was pure intuition and muscle memory having done archery when I was younger. So...damn...satisfying.

Xortex is pure schmup insanity, at first it was odd trying to think of the controller led ship as the object which to avoid getting hit by projectiles, but once you get the hang of it it's a blast.

Think tomorrow I'll have to try Vanishing Realms and Space Pirate Trainer.

Arulan

Well, not many people showed up to the AltspaceVR meetup, and by not many people, I mean Krejlooc, and someone who couldn't talk and then left. When more people have VR headsets someone should host another one.

I posted the same thing when I tried AltspaceVR on my GearVR, but the fact remains, social VR, as in seeing someone represented by an avatar, with 1:1 head-tracking is incredible. It feels like standing and talking next to someone, something no other means of online communication can do.

Wallach

So you can actually order one of these right now? I wanted to order an oculus but when tried to buy, it said that expected ship date is august.

So I checked out vive's buy option and it said "in stock". Is that true? You can buy it and get it "shortly" (ie within a few weeks)?

Seems oculus prices are insane on ebay right now, and although I'd prefer an oculus I would just buy vive instead if I can get within weeks instead of 4 months.

Also - so if you dont care about room scale (I dont have the room ATM) can you just put a sensor on your desk or something or have to mount it up high?

I don't really know why it says "In Stock", but new orders are actually shipping towards the end of May at the moment. Says May on the left somewhere there. So not really that soon, but less backordered than Rift and should arrive much sooner.

audio_delay

Neo Member
Do those support rods really not come in any other color than neon yellow?

How muich do you want to spend?
Manfrotto have autopoles in their line-up, those are designed for camera. HJowever depending where you stay, one unit is £60+ each. Advantage is, if you have high ceiling. Those can reach up to 3m upwards.
But you can probably use tension poles/rods racks systems for bathrooms, if you have a low ceiling, probably cheaper.

I don't really know why it says "In Stock", but new orders are actually shipping towards the end of May at the moment. Says May on the left somewhere there. So not really that soon, but less backordered than Rift and should arrive much sooner.

Ah ok I didnt read all the fine print.

Weirdly its saying next business day shipping is $15 but 2 day is $30! Free is 3-8 days

Sold! Ordered my Vive just now, says should ship by end of May. Was gonna get oculus but that was August which is nuts.

Also having Gear VR as my entryway to VR means that to me, it LOOKS incredible. But it appears to me that by far the best way to experience the full benefits of VR you need the inputs to match the video output - ie tracked controller, and room scale interaction. Using a xbox style controller to manipulate the world sounds like its really limiting to the true potential benefits of VR, so hopefully Vive gets traction and games support it. Since its backed by Steam and we are getting Elite Dangerous, thats enough for me to put money down (despite oculus having the best launch lineup in terms of real games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom