• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartman86

Banned
Tracking was perfect the first couple days (putting controllers in controllers etc. Now it's kind of fucked. Anyone else seeing this? The base stations say they have an update if I go into the firmware update page but won't update via bluetooth. I think bluetooth is just messed up in general. Tried to update manually (manual update is a nightmare) but they aren't automatically updating like the instructions say they will. All of my issues seemed to start when I installed the HTC software to pair my phone. Probably should just uninstall all of that and turn off bluetooth.

x3sphere

Tracking was perfect the first couple days (putting controllers in controllers etc. Now it's kind of fucked. Anyone else seeing this? The base stations say they have an update if I go into the firmware update page but won't update via bluetooth. I think bluetooth is just messed up in general. Tried to update manually (manual update is a nightmare) but they aren't automatically updating like the instructions say they will. All of my issues seemed to start when I installed the HTC software to pair my phone. Probably should just uninstall all of that and turn off bluetooth.

I've been having issues with the tracking too, seems to be totally random. Maybe Bluetooth is the culprit as I've had it enabled as well, haven't tried turning it off yet.

At first I thought it was the reflections from my TV and/or windows, so I put a cover over the TV and pulled all the curtains down - this seemed to fix everything at first, but today my tracking messed up again and I haven't touched anything since. Was able to fix it by recalibrating, but it's annoying having to keep doing that.

Am I missing something? I turned steam VR off but my basestations are still on it looks. Do they not turn off automatically.

They should turn off almost immediately after exiting Steam VR. But you need Bluetooth enabled - with it off they will not auto shut down.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
When are we going to have a wireless headset? I can see that being the reason I upgrade my OG Vive.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah you're right it's Irrational Exuberance!

Alright thx I'll give that a try.

Just pulled up fraps, 90 is definitely being hit but getting framedrops, so wondering if it's just my system. I meet the minimum with gpu but have a 3570k, prob due for an upgrade right about now lol.

Second time I've heard of frame rate problems with a 3570k - job simulator seems to push it too. You'd think it would be fine, especially if overclocked. But maybe it's time to start putting the pennies away toward an upgrade. Annoying because the motherboard is a dead end so it means a CPU/motherboard/ram swap

Wonder if swapping in a 3770k would help?

I'm also wondering if there is a good way to reduce the things running in the background when I'm going to use VR. Can I just make a second user and turn all that off, or is it more involved? Like disabling my plex server, teamviewer and various other background tasks.

Sky Chief

Well, not many people showed up to the AltspaceVR meetup, and by not many people, I mean Krejlooc, and someone who couldn't talk and then left. When more people have VR headsets someone should host another one.

I posted the same thing when I tried AltspaceVR on my GearVR, but the fact remains, social VR, as in seeing someone represented by an avatar, with 1:1 head-tracking is incredible. It feels like standing and talking next to someone, something no other means of online communication can do.

Sorry, I wanted to join but I was busy. I did try Altspace earlier though and it was pretty crazy. If you do another I will try to join.

Second time I've heard of frame rate problems with a 3570k - job simulator seems to push it too. You'd think it would be fine, especially if overclocked. But maybe it's time to start putting the pennies away toward an upgrade. Annoying because the motherboard is a dead end so it means a CPU/motherboard/ram swap

Wonder if swapping in a 3770k would help?

I'm also wondering if there is a good way to reduce the things running in the background when I'm going to use VR. Can I just make a second user and turn all that off, or is it more involved? Like disabling my plex server, teamviewer and various other background tasks.

I do hope it's ok with a 3770K especially as mine is 4.6ghz, I flatlined on the Steam test at 11 so it must be.

wanderingprostheyltite what did you score on the test?

Wollan

What's that wire for, anyway? I don't see why it couldn't be wireless, unless it's something really special.
The extreme amounts of data transferred back-and-forth combined with the sensitivity of dropping some data and/or a slight lag spike (nausea city) makes it difficult to accomplish. It all has to be done within a few milliseconds and it has be totally reliable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's that wire for, anyway? I don't see why it couldn't be wireless, unless it's something really special.

2160x1200x90 is a lot of pixels to send over wireless.

I think there are several big choices to be taken for second/third gen headsets
- wireless. Very important but means extra weight for batteries and may limit resolution because of bandwidth required. Also needs latency mitigation - could be possible to put some local processing on board for motion prediction and asynchronous timewarp to help mask latency but that adds more cost and weight. Possibly foveated rendering plus onboard compositing could help reduce bandwidth requirements too

- resolution. 4K per eye would be nice but that impacts both the ability to go wireless and we don't have GPUs to drive that. GPUs are due a nice performance bump in the next couple of years with smaller processes and architecture changes. That, plus decent VR SLI, plus foveated rendering may bridge that performance gap.

So ideally we'd have on our shopping list
- 4K per eye
- better lenses for reduced glare
- eye tracking for foveated rendering
- wireless
- onboard processing to handle timewarp and foveated compositing

Combined with an SLI 2017 14nm GPU

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There are not so many devices that are able to properly and flawless stream HD 3d video content wireless in house (not even talking about their prices). Add on top the necessity of having a stable 90 fps and the amount of data needed to be transmitted for tracking purposes and you will see why a good consumer wireless HMD is not going to be here that soon.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yep. Just a matter of time. I can see wireless being a 100% probability of me upgrading. Increased resolution? Maybe. But wireless for sure.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Eurogamer review: A whole new world

You don't set up Vive so much as install it, the amount of space you'll need to get a satisfying experience is almost certain to require a fair amount of your living space, and the combined weight of headset, headphones and the constant presence of the intrusive cabling does feel a little onerous. On top of that, the system's credentials for seated experiences can't be fully tested right now because the vast majority of the available titles designed for that configuration reside on Oculus Home. Eventually, the exclusives on each platform will converge, but right now, the best Vive experiences are smaller, bite-sized chunks of gaming - brilliant to play in many respects and an irresistible taster of what is to come, but perhaps somewhat slight factoring in the money, time and space invested into putting a state-of-the-art VR system together.

And yet there's nothing quite like this. Load up any of the key Vive titles and it's like nothing you've experienced before. Gaming feels fresh, exciting, renewed - a giddy feeling after years of variations on the same themes. This is more than just a gimmick: it's an entirely new, blank canvas for developers to work with and it's already delivering some unique experiences. Clearly, it's not quite the finished article, but I can't wait to see how it develops.

Durante

After a good night's sleep (well, a good morning's sleep really), my second impression of room-scale VR is that I actually have sore muscles.

Zeknurn

How do I get the base stations to go into standby mode? I've enabled the option in settings but they're not doing anything.

Durante

I thought yesterday that the automatic sleep mode on the lighthouses wasn't working since the kept on running, but clearly there's just a bit of hysteresis thresholding built in - they do turn off after some minutes.

Anyway, I hate myself for not plugging in the controllers to recharge yesterday. Someone need to sell a spiffy controller charging cradle.

That's because... You've never used them before.
Heh.

Edit:
How do I get the base stations to go into standby mode? I've enabled the option in settings but they're not doing anything.
Interesting you'd post that right now, I didn't see your post before I wrote mine ;)
As per the above, do give it a few minutes after turning off SteamVR (and of course you have to enable Bluetooth in the settings).

Zeknurn

I thought yesterday that the automatic sleep mode on the lighthouses wasn't working since the kept on running, but clearly there's just a bit of hysteresis thresholding built in - they do turn off after some minutes.

Anyway, I hate myself for not plugging in the controllers to recharge yesterday. Someone need to sell a spiffy controller charging cradle.

Heh.

Edit:
Interesting you'd post that right now, I didn't see your post before I wrote mine ;)
As per the above, do give it a few minutes after turning off SteamVR (and of course you have to enable Bluetooth in the settings).

I just tried it again and it worked at first try. The second I hit quit in SteamVR they went into standby mode. I'm glad I didn't spend several hours last night troubleshooting it because it seems like quite a lot of features in SteamVR are coming in hot in true Valve sense.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyway, I hate myself for not plugging in the controllers to recharge yesterday. Someone need to sell a spiffy controller charging cradle

Are there cad files for the vive controllers? Maybe you could use the 3D models they use for games to get the shape for the bottom part, then stick a male micro USB port in there and wire it to a couple of metal prongs on the bottom so you can put it in a charging dock. Maybe convert a ps move charging dock which I assume is set up to provide 2x 5v

Bboy AJ

Do you have to set up everything for the Vive? Or are there games where having, say, the light houses set up is unnecessary.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Need at least one to track the headset - 2 if you're spinning around

Could just drop one on a shelf or stack of books for a temp setup

Durante

Durante, are you really impressed by the Vive?
Yes. Not having to worry about leaving some arbitrary cone while exploring VR is fantastic. Sure, you are still limited by room boundaries, but a room floor to ceiling in 360° is still incomparably more satisfying compared to a cone which always immediately reminds you (by way of wonky or lost tracking) not to look into the wrong direction while performing the wrong movement.

Together with tracked motion controllers (which also have amazing build quality by the way) it's a game-changer. As in, it literally changes the way we experience games.

Bboy AJ

Need at least one to track the headset - 2 if you're spinning around

Could just drop one on a shelf or stack of books for a temp setup
Man, sounds like a pita to set up. I don't even know where I'll put my light houses. My walls are marble tiling and floor to ceiling glass. Maybe I'll get a stand but damn that's ugly af. I don't want it invading my area. Hmm.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can understand the setup taking a while, but they're pretty discreet boxes. You could probably wrap them in white vinyl (except the front) to help them blend in, and route wires behind the wall

Your room does sound like it might be challenging though - lots of reflections

Bboy AJ

I can understand the setup taking a while, but they're pretty discreet boxes. You could probably wrap them in white vinyl (except the front) to help them blend in, and route wires behind the wall

Your room does sound like it might be challenging though - lots of reflections
Do they need to be plugged into anything but a power outlet?

Man, sounds like a pita to set up. I don't even know where I'll put my light houses. My walls are marble tiling and floor to ceiling glass. Maybe I'll get a stand but damn that's ugly af. I don't want it invading my area. Hmm.

Damn, do you live in a palace or something?

I've been having issues with the tracking too, seems to be totally random. Maybe Bluetooth is the culprit as I've had it enabled as well, haven't tried turning it off yet.

At first I thought it was the reflections from my TV and/or windows, so I put a cover over the TV and pulled all the curtains down - this seemed to fix everything at first, but today my tracking messed up again and I haven't touched anything since. Was able to fix it by recalibrating, but it's annoying having to keep doing that.

They should turn off almost immediately after exiting Steam VR. But you need Bluetooth enabled - with it off they will not auto shut down.

Cool thanks for the info. I looked it up after you told me about this and was able to find the instructions.

kinggroin

Banned
Help. The lighthouses won't see my controllers! WTF. Just started happening. They're not syncing to the software or headset. They just show as not...discoverable

Anyone??

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I had two consecutive, separate dreams last night where I got an email from HTC saying my Vive shipped. I hate waking up.

Ok you know the steam vr box that shows the headset, controllers and base stations hit the down arrow by steam vr. select devices. select pair controllers

Does the headset have selectable refresh rate modes or is that all done on stream vrs side automatically? I have heard people changing mirroring off or something. I just was wondering.

Krejlooc

Banned
Windlands needs better controls. There is a great game under the bad controls that is being overlooked. It feels like the devs have completely ignored how controlling games with a steam controller works and its it's actually to the detriment of the game.
First up, normal locomotion is a mess. The game uses the left touchpad to move, which is uncomfortable but even more so because they use it like an iphone screen - just touching the pad results in movement. This is terrible! They need the "require click" option that steam controllers have to turn the left touchpad into a d-pad. Preferably, they should also employ some sort of teleportation mechanic too.
Second, they need to use the haptics in someway. The game is entirely devoid of haptic feedback. Haptic feedback on the steam controller is what makes the left pad give weight to both analog and requires click dpads. Right now I have no tactile feedback while moving, and that makes things so much harder.
Thirdly, using the shoulder buttons to jump feels awful, doubly so when both track pad buttons are unused. Why am I being forced to use the hard to reach shoulder buttons to jump when my right thumb is naturally resting on a huge, unused button (the right touchpad)? It makes no sense.
Windlands has an amazing swinging mechanic, but its bogged down in some terrible normal controls. I hope this game gets a patch because I can see a ton of people getting turned off by the crappy controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom