• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HuniePop Steam |OT| We just play it for the puzzles

Kaisos

Are people taking that "field research" video seriously? Prank channels do stuff like that all the time. It's cringeworthy, sure, but intentionally so. It's just a stupid prank video for marketing the game.

This isn't a prank video (as though prank videos like that were even 100% acceptable in the first place). It is literally a jerk walking around hitting on women for the purposes of "research". There is no irony involved here.

Annubis

So.... ummmm...
Either at suck at puzzles or you really have to think about each move.
It gets pretty tight sometimes.

Krakn3Dfx

34960928_star_trek_motivational_poster_this_is_so_wrong_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

dani_dc

So.... ummmm...

Upgrade your traits, it makes the puzzles that much easier. Remember that each girl has a preferred trait.
And don't forget to level up passion at the start.

Exuro

So.... ummmm...
Try to rack up pink passion tokens early on. They add a multiplier to all other tokens. If you wait and get a lot of the broken heart tokens, then you can turn them all into passion tokens with the bear. Then your token combos will be worth a lot more.

Jomjom

Banned
So valve will let that Hatred game or whatever release because of free speech and what not but this rather tame game gets censored? I'll never get Americans and our weird ass clinging to puritanical bullshit.

Kinsei

Banned
Street harassment?
This is pretty common and everyday life when I was in college.
Heck, I see it everyday when I get coffee in the morning.
And beside, the video was in good faith and humor.
He was purposely acting like a creep.

Yeah, that is street harassment. It sucks how common it is.

Tizoc

The voice-acting from the scene (the one linked to a billion times every time this game is mentioned) sounds different in the actual game.

EDIT: Oh lord these choices.

647242E2D29F572C2CED1EDED6D382D8E5D2CF12

Man I wanted to screenshot this screen but couldn't lol.

Seriously this has some amazing lines of dialog.

daydream

Banned
I've been watching this Huniepop stream on hitbox for the last two hours and.. I don't know.

I just don't know anymore.

Mononoke

Banned
I've been watching this Huniepop stream on hitbox for the last two hours and.. I don't know.

I just don't know anymore.

Is it...bad?

I legit don't know. I knew nothing about this game until today. As I said earlier, I like VN/Dating sims. I've only played a few. The two videos posted, turned me off. Didn't like the dialogue/voice acting. And the Dev video of him harassing women was gross.

But that said, how is the actual game itself?

I'm pretty sure the dev is full-on gamergate. He's been beating the anti-"SJW" drum for a while now.
Anyone who uses the term "SJW" without irony rings alarm bells.

"Man thank god Japanese devs dont give a shit about our silly social justice debates. #Bayonetta2 looks sick. Looking forward to the erection"

Well, could be pro-gamergate (another tweet) but not total?

https://twitter.com/search?q=huniepop gamergate&src=typd

iGiUMAxodrTK.png

But he praises Feminist Frequency videos, so ehh not that bad. And no insulting tweets to others or victim blaming.

Chariot

Anyone who uses the term "SJW" without irony rings alarm bells.

"Man thank god Japanese devs dont give a shit about our silly social justice debates. #Bayonetta2 looks sick. Looking forward to the erection"

Well, definitely pro-gamergate not just in the eyes of GG people but also the developer, Ryan Koons.

https://twitter.com/search?q=huniepop gamergate&src=typd

iGiUMAxodrTK.png

But he praises Feminist Frequency videos, so ehh not that bad. And no insulting tweets to others or victim blaming.
Ouch. Shit.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Also it should be noted you can play as a male or female character in this. Probably will do the second sometime just to see the dialog changes.

While this game should never be held as an achievement of the medium, it dares to go against conventions and manages to stay funny, intended or not. It just happens to have some lewd content in there and that will always play against it.

I say we need more games like this.

Ryan (the developer) said that the non-Steam version is uncensored. I don't recall if he also meant that it was more explicit or not.

"Happens to have lewd content" just sounds like a disservice. I backed this game on kickstarter exactly because it promised lewd content. I simply appreciate people who are honest about their desires.

That said, now I await my 9 dakimakuras from HuniePop. Since it is launch week, I'll wait until next week or so before asking about when the kickstarter rewards will be shipped out.

fedexpeon

Banned

Is this the stuff on the face catcall NYC video?
I hate these kind of interviews since you are allowed to pre-screen and frame your message based on your bias and for jokes.

I know it is a comedy show, but sometime, people think the Daily Show is like Time.
Don't get me wrong, every media outlet has bias since real news is boring.
You need to add human drama and politic alliance to generate easy viewership numbers.

daydream

Banned
Is it...bad?

I legit don't know. I knew nothing about this game until today. As I said earlier, I like VN/Dating sims. I've only played a few. The two videos posted, turned me off. Didn't like the dialogue/voice acting. And the Dev video of him harassing women was gross.

But that said, how is the actual game itself?

You talk to the different girls, picking dialogue options and such, and if you succeed you play a match-3 game to deepen your relationship. The match-3 part is fairly run-of-the-mill. The dialogue (both writing and VA) is fucking mind-boggling. Whatever pejorative attribute you have (nonsensical, lunatic, misogynist, racist, poor, goatish, seedy, unsavoury, etc.), it will most likely fit the bill.

Yet, it is oddly fascinating that this game got made and I can't stop watching the stream.

I can safely add that it is decidely unerotic, though, yup.

Puruzi

Banned
Ryan (the developer) said that the non-Steam version is uncensored. I don't recall if he also meant that it was more explicit or not.

"Happens to have lewd content" just sounds like a disservice. I backed this game on kickstarter exactly because it promised lewd content. I simply appreciate people who are honest about their desires.

That said, now I await my 9 dakimakuras from HuniePop. Since it is launch week, I'll wait until next week or so before asking about when the kickstarter rewards will be shipped out.

You're a good person.

Kinyou

You realize that just makes it worse right?
I guess if you think it's generally wrong to do this stuff. Personally I'm okay with this Jackass type of comedy as long as it doesn't cross certain lines. (Like touching or stalking for example)

SerTapTap

I watched the voice acting and my whore feelings are hurt. Am I fucking loco if that makes me want to buy this crap?

Mononoke

Banned
You talk to the different girls, picking dialogue options and such, and if you succeed you play a match-3 game to deepen your relationship. The match-3 part is fairly run-of-the-mill. The dialogue (both writing and VA) is fucking mind-boggling. Whatever pejorative attribute you have (nonsensical, lunatic, misogynist, racist, poor, goatish, seedy, unsavoury, etc.), it will most likely fit the bill.

Yet, it is oddly fascinating that this game got made and I can't stop watching the stream.

I can safely add that it is decidely unerotic, though, yup.

Lol well damn. Appreciate the reply. Game sounds crazy.

But is an official video labeled "HuniePop: Field Research #1" a video about the game or the developer? It isn't his personal account, it wasn't something posted on a personal capacity, it's an official video made to promote the game. How do we separate this from the game?

I guess it's like how a crappy trailer or commercial that has nothing to do with the game for other stuff (like all those live-action Nintendo ones from the early 2000s) doesn't need to be the center of attention?

I don't know, I don't really have an answer for that. I of course don't think those discussions should be off-limits, but I'd think it would make it harder for those actually wanting to discuss the game itself.

daydream

Banned
Lol well damn. Appreciate the reply. Game sounds crazy.

So, the game has hit a low now. Since he met all the girls and saw the cutscenes/did the introductory dialogues, nothing exciting has happened. Seems like the main gameplay loop is actually really boring and repetitive. I'm definitely holding off now, I was kinda curious to see the trainwreck unfold for myself but this seems to become a dull affair (on top of everything else) after 1 1/2 hours tops.

You realize that just makes it worse right?

I've never really thought stuff like what's in the video crossed a line. Sure, it makes people uncomfortable, but that's really it.

Of course, I'm a huge Eric Andre fan, so maybe I don't have a leg to stand on in this argument.

Chariot

Man, that act mini game is weird.

Also, why do I get money for dates. Isn't it usually the other way around? Like, losing money?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure the dev is full-on gamergate. He's been beating the anti-"SJW" drum for a while now.

this and the douchebag pick-up video promo is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for any chance of me picking up this game even as a dumb joke

Top Bottom