• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HuniePop Steam |OT| We just play it for the puzzles

Annubis

BTW

Beli has DDs
Even if she tells you she has Ds and her entry says Ds. The right answer is DDs.

Any other mistakes like that?

McNum

I unlocked
Venus
after finishing the 8 main girls plus
Kyu
. There was a comment about how fast I accomplished this being impressive, so that may or may not be a factor. I was on around day 25 I think.
Ah, okay. I thought it might be that. thanks.

The night dates are a bit infuriating at times. I mean, more than once I felt that I only succeeded because I got lucky with chain reactions. Without those chain reactions happening no way I'd manage to complete the level with how fast the bar empties itself.
There are two kinds of people. Those who learned Bejewled 3's Lightning Mode (or freaking Ice Storm Mode...) and those that find this minigame hard. I find the pace quite relaxing all things considered and you can even match from across the board.

Here's a few tips, Bejeweled 101 here. If you want to conserve turns, and avoid chaos in, say, a field full of Broken Hearts, match near the top. If you want to crate cascades and match a WHOLE lot of gems in one turn, match near the bottom. For this particular game, wait and study the field for a second before starting. Find something near the bottom and start from there.

Also, don't stare at it. Seriously, don't focus or think, you'll lose time. Let your eyes wander around as the matching animation runs, looking for the next match before it even lands. It's much like bullet hell games in that respect. If you focus on the player ship, you die. Same here, if you follow the mouse pointer around, you won't be fast enough.

As for the normal date grid, focus on Passion gems first. Unless there's bells, ALWAYS match bells, unless you're nearly done and risk a Broken Hearts match by doing so. Items that buff Passion are great. But sometimes, you just get screwed over by random chance. Living with that... is also a skill learned in Bejeweled. Oh, and if you have a minefield of Broken Hearts from the start and you don't have items made to work off that... match them deliberately. -30% of 0 is still 0.

...what? I've played a whole lot of Bejewled 3. It's fun. I honestly did get this game for the puzzles, the dating thing is fun, too, but I doubt I would have bought it just for that.

Exuro

You know, it figures that my first foil card drop on Steam would be this game. Foil Tiffany. I figure i should sell that, but I have no idea what to ask for one of those, and, well, there is no purchase history since the game is, what, hours old. So, Foil Tiffany, what would you ask for one of those?

Also, I'm kind of liking the match three with powerups game. that could easily stand alone without a dating element, but I wonder what's good in powerups. I get the feeling there's more than one overpowered build. I'm using one that uses Broken Hearts as fuel for passion and extra turns. Kind of a crazy plan, but it works.

So, how did you find the hidden girls? I've only found one, the obvious one, but I know how to find two more.

Kyu: 5-star another girl
Celeste: Give Dirty Magazine to Kyu, use item on the beach at night.
Momo: Buy a goldfish gift. Discard it in an outside area.

Are there more than those?
Did you have to do anything special to
get a goldfish? I've never seen one sold, only goldfish accessories.

Annubis

It's random and some items just don't seem to come often.
I'm looking at you, you damn laptop that all the girls want.

(fuck, I'd want a free laptop too)

McNum

Random chance, I'm afraid. It'll pop up in the gifts part of the shop. then just
go to, say the park, and discard it from the inventory. when you leave, Momo will ask if she can keep the fish.

This is one of those "read the strategy guide" kind of unlocks...

Yeah I'm starting to wonder if dropping the difficulty does anything.
Still playing on normal (7/9 girls banged) but the dates have become difficult and the sex takes forever. Tempted to drop it to easy and see if I can't bum-rush everything else.

EDIT: Found a date item that turns broken hearts into joys. Couple that with the item that gives extra moves for every two joys leads to a ton of extra moves.

Annubis

My strategy right now is:

- Get 3 tears quickly to activate my <each heart combo gives 1 tear>
- Play until I get to 1 turn left (leaving all broken hearts there)
- Use my <+1 turn for every 2 broken hearts>
- Then use <transform all broken hearts into bells> and combo those for more turns
- Play again until I get to 1 turn
- Use my <transform my emotion level into emotion level x 2% of score needed> (great because it's %)

The only times I fail is when it takes me a long time to get my first 3 tears.

nynt9

I got 9/9 right now (will look for the extras later) but I haven't had any problems with the bedroom part. It's just fast paced matching and it's over rather easily. If you keep matching at a consistent pace I don't see how you can't get it.

Prophane33

Really fun game, I just wish there were more pictures, the
for every girl is really not enough. Though it is cool to change with their hair/outfits in the conversation scenes.

Annubis

I got 9/9 right now (will look for the extras later) but I haven't had any problems with the bedroom part. It's just fast paced matching and it's over rather easily. If you keep matching at a consistent pace I don't see how you can't get it.

Sometimes you get stumped which is increasingly possible as the required amount goes over 700+.

I guess there's the people who played Bejeweled (or similar) and those that didn't =/

Faabulous

So, playing some more and adjusting my expectations I found the game to be kind of fun. It is content starved tho. The CG's we already have lack more context and even then they are few. The game would benefit from either more CG's or giving each CG a scene in wich the character has a bunch of lines and some choices, that would greatly improve the game IMO.

Chariot

So, playing some more and adjusting my expectations I found the game to be kind of fun. It is content starved tho. The CG's we already have lack more context and even then they are few. The game would benefit from either more CG's or giving each CG a scene in wich the character has a bunch of lines and some choices, that would greatly improve the game IMO.
Actual dialogs after the intro would've been nice. After that it's just Q&A and some comments to your gameplay actions.

10/10 now.
Somebody else in here mentioned they have 11/12 of the Huniegals. Curious how the last two are unlocked.

Main reason my bedroom game is strong is due to all the Magical Drop 3 I played. In that puzzle game if you made moves fast enough they counted as chains...even if they weren't actually chaining.

Exuro

10/10 now.
Somebody else in here mentioned they have 11/12 of the Huniegals. Curious how the last two are unlocked.

Main reason my bedroom game is strong is due to all the Magical Drop 3 I played. In that puzzle game if you made moves fast enough they counted as chains...even if they weren't actually chaining.

Give your dirty mag to kyu. You'll get an item in return. Then go to the beach at night.

For the other buy a goldfish gift and trash it in the park

Saprol

There are two kinds of people. Those who learned Bejewled 3's Lightning Mode (or freaking Ice Storm Mode...) and those that find this minigame hard. I find the pace quite relaxing all things considered and you can even match from across the board.

...what? I've played a whole lot of Bejewled 3. It's fun. I honestly did get this game for the puzzles, the dating thing is fun, too, but I doubt I would have bought it just for that.
I played a bunch of Bejeweled Blitz, which I think was the basis for Lightning mode. Basically a 60-second high score run. The Puzzle Quest series was great and available on several platforms. I'm also playing Hero Emblems now on iOS, which is a neat match-3 game with RPG elements.

Actual dialogs after the intro would've been nice. After that it's just Q&A and some comments to your gameplay actions.
That dialogue video that everybody was hyping up earlier was funny, but it's disappointing that no characters bother interacting afterwards. The VN aspect kinda just goes out the window.

Chariot

10/10 now.

Well, I assume there are a few magical drops bound to happen while playing.
That dialogue video that everybody was hyping up earlier was funny, but it's disappointing that no characters bother interacting afterwards. The VN aspect kinda just goes out the window.
Yeah, it's kind of disappointing.

Give your dirty mag to kyu. You'll get an item in return. Then go to the beach at night.

For the other buy a goldfish gift and trash it in the park

Thanks much.

The Alien asks questions about space. Good thing I already have all the stats maxed because I am sucking eggs at this.

Oh lord a catgirl....and she's only a year old (WHAT THE FUCK?). Why am I not surprised?

And twelve pairs of panties later, I am feeling accomplished (if one can indeed feel accompiahed having played this.) I played it on normal and it got pretty challenging near the end (lots of failure but luckily there seems to be no punishment for failure) but I got it done.

I still haven't unlocked all the outfits. I don't know if it's based around dates at certain times of day or if there's some RNG involved or what.

Another possibility.

Say you're out somewhere with Kyanna but then Audrey shows up ready to ruin a perfectly good evening.

The puzzle "dating" game could have turned into a competitive puzzler like Puyo Puyo or Puzzle Fighter.

So much wasted potential.

I just saw this post. This sounds like a good idea that you should float to Ryan.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Thanks much.

The Alien asks questions about space. Good thing I already have all the stats maxed because I am sucking eggs at this.

Oh lord a catgirl....and she's only a year old (WHAT THE FUCK?). Why am I not surprised?

A 1-year-old cat has reached adulthood, the equivalent of 18 human years

That's the joke

Another possibility.

Say you're out somewhere with Kyanna but then Audrey shows up ready to ruin a perfectly good evening.

The puzzle "dating" game could have turned into a competitive puzzler like Puyo Puyo or Puzzle Fighter.

So much wasted potential.

I agree, it really need more interaction stuff besides the standard shit you can find on newgrounds

Chariot

And twelve pairs of panties later, I am feeling accomplished (if one can indeed feel accompiahed having played this.) I played it on normal and it got pretty challenging near the end (lots of failure but luckily there seems to be no punishment for failure) but I got it done.

I still haven't unlocked all the outfits. I don't know if it's based around dates at certain times of day or if there's some RNG involved or what.
I got them after they wore them on a date that I successfully finished.

Ehhhhhhhhh still.
I mean WHY

Gave her a drink and she said "Sure...As long as you say it's okay."
I don't even know if I should call the police or PETA.

I got them after they wore them on a date that I successfully finished.

Well yes, clearly I know that, but I'm saying that I don't know how to get them to wear a specific outfit that they haven't unlocked yet.

The real question is... what the fuck were the tissues for?

Apparently they're a joke item that has no use and can't even be discarded. MAYBE there's a super-secret easter egg it unlocks but somehow I doubt it.

Beth Cyra

How does one go about getting date gifts?

I moved the game to easy so I was able to slowly get myself through most of it, but I've bought nearly everything in the store and all I can get out of it are the Gifts to use during chatting and none to use during the date portion.

Still just stuck with the bear.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
How does one go about getting date gifts?

I moved the game to easy so I was able to slowly get myself through most of it, but I've bought nearly everything in the store and all I can get out of it are the Gifts to use during chatting and none to use during the date portion.

Still just stuck with the bear.

Give the girls presents they like and you get random presents in return

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
LOL really? Well that would be why I never get them. I play horde the money and only buy unique gifts.

No point in doing that, giving them stuff they like gives you a ton of points

More specifically, ones marked with a heart will get you a date gift - the ones they love. The ones they merely like - marked with a star - go in their collection but don't give you a gift.

I think those unlock hairstyles

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I don't get it guys, how do I unlock
celeste? The post above says to use the device at night time at the beach, how the fuck do you use it?

I don't get it guys, how do I unlock
celeste? The post above says to use the device at night time at the beach, how the fuck do you use it?

Attempt to give it to someone. They'll say they don't need it or whatever. Then just try to go somewhere else and she should show up.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Just a heads up, can't stream this game anymore, after a really popular streamer streamed it, twitch finally paid attention and canned everyone streaming this game.

thejpfin

I was watching some Huniepop streams on twitch. Game was pretty interesting to watch, but now twitch bans every channel that streams it.

I had no choice, but to buy the damn game from steam. What i'm doing with my life... lol.

McNum

Wonder what Valve will think of people using Steam Broadcast to broadcast this game. I noticed the popup in the lower right saying that it was available ingame. I have mine locked down, though, only activate it when I invite someone to see something I'm doing. Like failing miserably at the Metal Gear Rising tutorial on Revengeance difficulty... (I so recommend trying that, though. It's the most hilariously difficult fight in the entire game. Poor Raiden.)

I am honestly a bit surprised this game is allowed on Steam to begin with. But then again, The Witcher is there, too. I think both games need a patch to remove the adult content filter, though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Wonder what Valve will think of people using Steam Broadcast to broadcast this game. I noticed the popup in the lower right saying that it was available ingame. I have mine locked down, though, only activate it when I invite someone to see something I'm doing. Like failing miserably at the Metal Gear Rising tutorial on Revengeance difficulty... (I so recommend trying that, though. It's the most hilariously difficult fight in the entire game. Poor Raiden.)

I am honestly a bit surprised this game is allowed on Steam to begin with. But then again, The Witcher is there, too. I think both games need a patch to remove the adult content filter, though.

M rated stuff is fine, AO isn't. thing is if you have the mangagamer version it self patches the steam version into the AO version

McNum

M rated stuff is fine, AO isn't. thing is if you have the mangagamer version it self patches the steam version into the AO version
Or place an empty file with the right filename in the game directory. A file provided by the developer in the Steam forums for the game. Subtle, they ain't.

Well, ive courted every girl to 5 hearts. Now just to grind through dates for money to 100% this beast at some point and see if there is any last secret hiding.

Top Bottom