• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

Philippo

1) EVERYONE has told Hisoka not to fight Chrollo

2) The spiders said they'd track him down and kill him if he hurts Chrollo, he has incredible intellect, talent, abilities... He prepared exclusively for that fight, even borrowed abilities from his fellow spiders

3) Hisoka has been acting like a cocky asshole forever

4) Hisoka's arc has been revealed to be entirely focused on Chrollo for the past 10 years, so for it to conclude his story is not that bad

5) I believe the conditions for Chrollo's bookmark limit him to the 3 abilities he explains. Which makes him a bit weaker and less able to adapt to unexpected situations. ( otherwise the teleport ability alone makes him virtually unbeatable )

6) Hisoka can't die during that explosion, because he is using a desperation move. He wants to suicide and take Chrollo down with him.

7) I believe the only way Chrollo can lose, is if he gets greedy. If he decides to either steal Hisoka's power, OR humiliate Hisoka by stabbing him with an antenna, Chrollo is dead. If he sticks to the plan, I don't think there is anything Hisoka can do that would one shot Chrollo, that has taken no damage so far.

8) Deus ex machigum, Chrollo is done no matter what. Which is awful. Chrollo has been so smart, for him to get taken by surprise by what is gonna be a new completely arbitrary ass pull new use of that shitty bungee gum, is gonna be painful.

I like this and think it's very likely.
Can see him going "hey man i'm letting you live if you let me take you power", at which point Hisoka either
-waits for him to come close and do a suicide attack
-goes "fuck you" and kills himself
-surrenders and leaves

smurfx

get some go again
depending on what hisoka does next chrollo may in fact get greedy and attempt to stick the antenna into hisoka to get him to surrender his gum ability. if hisoka at this point has more of his limbs blown off and he's severely damaged he might think he can let hisoka live and won't have to worry about him anymore.

Slaythe

4267f2f0a01d4ca0fcbde6267480fc5e.png
That was actually Chrollo's idea to battle to the death.

This is the first time he doesn't actively try to steal an ability.

But maybe pretending the fight to the death was only to condition Hisoka into thinking he could die.

While Chrollo holds back to neutralize Hisoka without killing him...

I am certain the only way Chrollo can lose is if he doesn't take Zeno's advice, and doesn't try to finish off Hisoka.

smurfx

get some go again
does silva have a strong friend? could it be somebody we have already seen? killua has gon, zeno had netero and illumi has hisoka. netero looked to also be friends with zzigg.

Slaythe

Illumi isn't really Hisoka's friend.

He also has a link with Chrollo.

Ever since Hisoka threatened Killua, maybe Illumi doesn't care about Hisoka at all.

I don't think Silva has anybody. He admitted Killua was different than him.

smurfx

get some go again
Illumi isn't really Hisoka's friend.

He also has a link with Chrollo.

Ever since Hisoka threatened Killua, maybe Illumi doesn't care about Hisoka at all.

I don't think Silva has anybody. He admitted Killua was different than him.
no both illumi and hisoka are friends. well as good of friends two psychos can be. other than hiring illumi to take out the mafia leaders i don't see illumi being that friendly with chrollo.

Lulubop

does silva have a strong friend? could it be somebody we have already seen? killua has gon, zeno had netero and illumi has hisoka. netero looked to also be friends with zzigg.

Netero is much older than Zeno. Likely just acquaintances and I bet only because Netero was close to Zzigg and maybe Maha.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
SIlva has his family I guess? I mean even with their differences they are a family and seem to not mind holing up in their mountain fortress except when some serious assassination work needs to be done... or the one computer nerd son needs to make some quick cash to waste trying to get Greed Island.

Silva is the head of the freaking Zoldyck Family. They're massively famous and because of their line of work, also an enemy of many. I wouldn't be surprised if he had powerful "friends" in his line of work around the world.

Daingurse

Silva is the head of the freaking Zoldyck Family. They're massively famous and because of their line of work, also an enemy of many. I wouldn't be surprised if he had powerful "friends" in his line of work around the world.

Silva has to have had some friends. Otherwise, I have no idea where that pep talk he had with Killua during the Zoldyck arc came from.

HStallion

I mean the Zoldycks basically have an army of assassins under their wing in the butlers, who know's how big it is but there are at least half a dozen of them with many more in training.

Permanently A

The worst ass pull ever.

He has no fucking right to win this fight given how it went down, and yet we all know Chrollo's gonna bite the dust next week.

Deus ex machigum.

Doubt it. Togashi has always been good at deconstruction.

My guess is Hisoka will pull his asspull, and get stomped anyways.

Slaythe

Yeah the thing is, usually, Hisoka likes to get his ass kicked to make the opponent believe he's done for, and then he's all like "joke's on you !".

The difference here, is that we only have access to Hisoka's perspective in this fight.

Which is rare. Usually, Togashi either gives us both perspectives. Or sometimes only give the reader something to look at and explains it afterwards.

Here, we KNOW Hisoka is being completely defeated and outsmarted, he thought to himself "am I gonna die now ?", that's NOT what someone that was toying with an enemy, or had a 100% failsafe plan would think.

So no matter what Togashi does, I hope he respects that. It can't be quality writing if Hisoka doesn't lose. This is entirely biased but it's only because of how he wrote the fight.

I am thinking a double K.O. is what's gonna happen. Togashi doesn't like cop out, I don't think he would have outplayed Hisoka that much if he intended for him to actually win in the end.

Because let's be honest, let's say he wins. The spiders will kill him the second he's out of the arena, and in his condition, it's not like he can fight back.

vypek

It feels hard to predict what will actually happen just cause of the author. At times the manga doesnt even seem like a shounen. Because of the writing and unpredictability. Really curious where he goes with it. I want Hisoka to win but at this point I'll accept any outcome

Daingurse

It feels hard to predict what will actually happen just cause of the author. At times the manga doesnt even seem like a shounen. Because of the writing and unpredictability. Really curious where he goes with it. I want Hisoka to win but at this point I'll accept any outcome

Mentally preparing myself for the double kill, really think these dudes are taking each other out, but I hope Hisoka somehow scrapes by. He still needs to fight a ripened Gon someday. Either way though, this has been an excellent battle.

zero_suit

Mentally preparing myself for the double kill, really think these dudes are taking each other out, but I hope Hisoka somehow scrapes by. He still needs to fight a ripened Gon someday. Either way though, this has been an excellent battle.

Why? That would be a five second fight.

Slaythe

I just finished my rewatch of Chimera ant.

May I know why nobody pointed out that, among the handful of ants that survived, THE NEN ERASER WAS ONE OF THEM, and decided to go TO METEOR CITY ?

Like come on.

There's virtually no reason to ask why there is no beast with Chrollo.

I just finished my rewatch of Chimera ant.

May I know why nobody pointed out that, among the handful of ants that survived, THE NEN ERASER WAS ONE OF THEM, and decided to go TO METEOR CITY ?

Like come on.

There's virtually no reason to ask why there is no beast with Chrollo.
?? What indication is there that they went to Meteor city? They were headed to find Gyro (name?) He also would have met with the Greed Island eraser before then.

Slaythe

?? What indication is there that they went to Meteor city? They were headed to find Gyro (name?) He also would have met with the Greed Island eraser before then.

No, since the awfully dragged Chimera Ant was extremely short in its duration, in the manga world.

The spiders fought all of them and Chrollo wasn't back and they hadn't heard him (so he still was under the chain).

And let say they met, he can still get a better nen removal afterwards.

Also, you seem surprised. Why ? They literally say they are going to be in meteor city... Both manga and anime. It's not like anyone can miss it.

remz

No, since the awfully dragged Chimera Ant was extremely short in its duration, in the manga world.

The spiders fought all of them and Chrollo wasn't back and they hadn't heard him (so he still was under the chain).

And let say they met, he can still get a better nen removal afterwards.

Also, you seem surprised. Why ? They literally say they are going to be in meteor city... Both manga and anime. It's not like anyone can miss it

Didn't that nen exorcist leave greed island with Hisoka Phinx, Kalluto and I think shizuka? You will also note these 3 characters were in meteor city at the time of the chimera ant arc? Wasn't hisoka specifically sent in by Chrollo to find the exorcist? Couldn't chrollo have been waiting for that exorcist to appear after someone left the console

Isn't it way more contrived that the chimera ant exorcist just happened to get recruited by the spiders, by chance?

I don't know why you're so hung up on chrollo not having the beast. In both cases we've seen an exorcism the exorcist is carrying the burden. Alright the guy who does it first was exorcising himself, but point still stands. It's consistent with the logic that if anyone is carrying the beast it's the exorcist.

HStallion

Yeah I don't think the Nen beast will matter really at this point as it seems like Hisoka is on the ropes if not already out but knowing Togashi something out of left field will happen. I would have made a joke about playing a game of dodgeball or chess to settle the score but... well HxH already did that hah

vypek

I don't know if anyone posted about the translation but the Hisoka one shot has been translated fully and posted.

Yonafunu

Didn't that nen exorcist leave greed island with Hisoka Phinx, Kalluto and I think shizuka? You will also note these 3 characters were in meteor city at the time of the chimera ant arc? Wasn't hisoka specifically sent in by Chrollo to find the exorcist? Couldn't chrollo have been waiting for that exorcist to appear after someone left the console

Isn't it way more contrived that the chimera ant exorcist just happened to get recruited by the spiders, by chance?

I don't know why you're so hung up on chrollo not having the beast. In both cases we've seen an exorcism the exorcist is carrying the burden. Alright the guy who does it first was exorcising himself, but point still stands. It's consistent with the logic that if anyone is carrying the beast it's the exorcist.

Slaythe is talking about Hina, the Chimera Ant. She's also an excorcist, and she went to Meteor City with Bizef and Welfin.

edit: the Hisoka origin story side chapter by Ishida Sui is up

Sui's Hisoka One Shot

Hey, it even looks like Togashi's scribbles. I like how Sui didn't try and copy Togashi though, you can definitely tell it is him via the paneling and character designs. They're also both writers who do a shitton of talking. Apparently there was an interview with Sui and Togashi, I'm more interested in reading that.

Snakeyes

Why? That would be a five second fight.

Not necessarily. Gon-san isn't just an adult Gon that has continued to learn Nen at his current pace, it's what Gon would be like if he fully dedicated himself to training for several decades in order to reach 100% of his potential. I don't think we'll see Gon reach that hypothetical level in terms of raw power even if the story goes that far.

kirblar

Not necessarily. Gon-san isn't just an adult Gon that has continued to learn Nen at his current pace, it's what Gon would be like if he fully dedicated himself to training for several decades in order to reach 100% of his potential. I don't think we'll see Gon reach that hypothetical level in terms of raw power even if the story goes that far.
It's not even that, it's like if you charted his lifetime nen output on a bar graph...

and then inverted the axes.

Way, way more power in one go than he could ever get normally.

Jigolo

Added Volume 0 to the OP. Will swap it out for the Viz version if it ever comes out and will put up Viz version of 33 when it hits.

EDIT: a little over 2 years since togashi returned lol

vypek

I really liked the Hisoka origin chapter. It was pretty good. Someone in the comments brought up exactly what I was thinking that Hisoka seems young in the chapter and portrayed as a genius. But he seems to have the same skills as an adult and didn't get much better.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I really liked the Hisoka origin chapter. It was pretty good. Someone in the comments brought up exactly what I was thinking that Hisoka seems young in the chapter and portrayed as a genius. But he seems to have the same skills as an adult and didn't get much better.

Nen is all about how you use your abilities. There's always going to be limits as to how you can use an ability, even one like Hisoka's.

KillerBEA

He just got more masterful at the application of those abilities. He created something that is extremely versatile so there isn't much need for a bunch of abilities.

kirblar

The big reveal is that he's a savant like Ging who can mimic other abilities without much effort. The timing of THAT piece of information seems unlikely to be a coincidence.

vypek

Nen is all about how you use your abilities. There's always going to be limits as to how you can use an ability, even one like Hisoka's.

He just got more masterful at the application of those abilities. He created something that is extremely versatile so there isn't much need for a bunch of abilities.

Hm, okay I see what you guys means. Something about the way he was portrayed in the chapter had just made me feel like he should be at a higher level but I guess that doesn't necessarily have to be true.

SalvaPot

His ability to mimic seemed very similar to how Ging was able to mimic Leorio's ability.

Also, Hisoka has always been a monster, remember when Killua was explaining to Gon their difference is strength? Killua is a trained assassin from year 0 and he still considered himself below Hisoka.

In the special chapter we see a teenage Hisoka, easily around 15 I think, and we really don't know his background before been found, so it makes sense he will be stronger than Gon/Killua at 13. He was already able to see Nen, so watching them train would justify him grasping it so fast.

HStallion

So here as a random little thing I was thinking about but could the King have taken out Netero like he did or even at all if he had not has his mind and eye for strategy on the fly honed by constant games against a master like Komugi. He was just born not long before the battle and up until Komugi had just brute forced his way through everyrthing. He was still amazingly strong, tough, etc. but could he have gotten through the defense and power of Netero's 100 Type Bodhisatva without it? Netero proved faster at the one thing that mattered in that fight to impress even the King and his attacks had so many possibilities even the King had to really think about it.

I think those constant games against Komugi helped not only reshape his outlook on life in general but helped hone his skills of perception, reading an opponent, anticipating moves, and so on to a point even his incredible abilities couldn't account for. He seemed to mature quite a bit playing with Komugi in a lot of ways and far more ready for the fight with Netero then again without Komugi he probably wouldn't even have sat down to talk with Netero and set up the rules of their battle and tried to off him all at once. Just a thought.

Daingurse

Playing games with Komugi essentially made Mereum a master of game theory. He would have struggled a lot more without that experience. But I still think would have overcome Netero at the end if day. He would have eventually learned intuitively what do through combat.

x-post from the general manga ot about the Hisoka one-shot interview with Togashi and Ishida Sui (Tokyo Ghoul mangaka)

Someone did translate the Togashi and Ishida Sui interview (Thanks Anteater in the Tokyo Ghoul thread)

Pretty fun read.

Ishi = Ishida Sui, Tokyo Ghoul
To = Yoshihiro Togashi, Hunter x Hunter

— This is a story about Hisoka, but is Hisoka really your favourite character in “Hunter x Hunter”?

Ishi: That’s right. When I was in junior high school, the first manga I copied was of Hisoka. It was the scene where Hisoka is letting down his hair after a bath, after he has a battle in Heaven’s Arena. It was so cool I just had to draw it (laugh).

To: It’s true, I also like when a character with swept back hair lets it down. That scene was influenced by the main character in “Shounan Bakusouzoku”, who normally has a pompadour. He was so cool when he let his hair down, I decided I had to put it in my manga. “Yuu Yuu Hakusho”’s Yuusuke is the same.

— Chrollo from “Hunter x Hunter” also has a scene like that, doesn’t he?

To: Out of the characters in “Tokyo Ghoul”, I like Juuzou the best. I like Hisoka too, and they’re kind of similar. They’re a bit crazy - like how they enjoy hurting themselves. I’ll keep hurting him nicely in “Hunter x Hunter”, as well (laugh).

Ishi: I’m looking forward to it (laugh). Since starting on this storyboard, I’ve drawn drafts I didn’t end up liking, even stuff I drew and immediately after thought “This is no good.” And in the midst of all that I lost sight of what was fun about it. I was taking it too seriously, I think. I even told my editor “If this keeps up I might not be able to make comics anymore.” And they said something like “To hear Ishida-sensei say that after coming into contact with Togashi-sensei’s talent makes me happy”. I was like “What are you saying when I’m this upset?” (laugh). I think my editor appreciates me, but I really felt like I had no allies.

— When you were thinking about the storyboard, you read over “Hunter x Hunter” a lot, didn’t you?

Ishi: I did. I marked all
the pages Hisoka appears in, I tried to figure out a pattern in the suit marks in his lines…
To: I’m just choosing those by intuition (laugh).
Ishi: You don’t have any rules?

To: Not really. Just that Hisoka uses a heart with people he likes. I don’t have any idea how diamond and clover are different.

Ishi: When I analysed it, I thought “Diamond” was often used when Hisoka is being serious. “Clover” gets used more when he is thinking something over.

To: Since I’m choosing with my intuition, it’s possible that I’m unconsciously creating those patterns.

Ishi: Hisoka is a really mysterious character, so drawing him is really difficult. I was looking for hints in places like that.

To: How much you can bring out his whimsy is very important. When I want him to do something the most is when he is least likely to move for me. It’s easier to just step back and not think about anything - then he will move on his own. It’s the same way right now in the main story - I just create the surroundings, environment, battle set-ups, and leave Hisoka’s movements up to Hisoka. Then his character will burst out for me.

Ishi: You’re right, I can see him bursting out just with my imagination (laugh).

To: But I kind of put on the brakes.

Ishi: Oh, you did?

To: Hisoka wanted to do more, but there were some places where I put on the brakes inside myself. I regret that a little bit.

— Togashi-sensei, what impression do you have after reading Ishida-sensei’s storyboard?

To: At the end, Hisoka uses Dokkiri Texture to transmute a handkerchief and hide the villain’s face, but I had actually thought of using this technique later on in the main story. So I thought Ishida-san had a good sense for using Nen.
It’s really interesting when different people have the same thought.
Also, I thought Ishida-san’s villain was well done. Not just this character, but everyone Ishida-san draws has good atmosphere. I think you get a sense of what manga he has read, and what kinds of pictures he likes, but even his stern old men have a beauty to them. This isn’t something you can achieve through hard work alone. His battle scenes also have a sense of speed which is pretty cool.

Ishi: Thank you…..

To: At the beginning there’s a scene where Hisoka is lying on the ground - did you leave the reason ambiguous on purpose?

Ishi: Yes. I specifically decided not to draw the background for the first scene.
To: That really makes the readers think.

Ishi: Among the discarded drafts, I had ones which talked about Hisoka’s childhood environment - some where he was from a rich family and some where he was poor. But I felt really uneasy about that. Hisoka is the kind of character who doesn’t talk about his past - I felt like as soon as you bring that in, he stops being Hisoka.

To: That’s true. Digging into a character’s past is difficult. It’s like, no matter what story you tell, it won’t surpass the readers’ imagination. Rather than making it clear, it’s more fascinating to leave some things unknown. In Ishida-san’s storyboard, it’s fun to imagine why Hisoka is lying on the ground. I’m very glad that you wrote him like this.

Ishi: Togashi-sensei, do you have an idea of Hisoka’s past?

To: I don’t. That’s why I tried not to think about it. But now I’m thinking I might one day be alright writing about a time in his past just a little before Ishida-san’s manga. Deciding how far back to go is difficult, though.

Ishi: I’m very interested in that.

To: I think my mental age has stopped somewhere between the second year of junior high school and the second year of high school (laugh) [A/N: American system 8th-11th grade]. I think I’d like to write about Hisoka around that age. If I wrote something set any earlier, I’d have to talk about what kind of family he came from, what his parents were like - I think that’d be explaining a little too much.

Ishi: This is just my own idea…. But I can’t really imagine Hisoka having a father. He doesn’t seem to have any influence from a father.

To: In the manga I’ve written so far, all the characters including protagonists have various family situations - many of them have single parents. Even though both of my own parents are still alive and well, and my family situation is pretty typical (laugh). But when I write manga it just comes out that way, especially main characters, or people I think I will have to draw for a long time. Of course, I think parents are just in the way when it comes to a manga story.

Ishi: That’s true, I’ve also had times when I thought parents were in the way in a story. In “Star Wars” the adults who raised the main character get killed right away, and in “Gundam” the story starts when the parents die and the protagonist must leave them. I’ve had the vague idea for a long time that there’s a kind of theory when writing a story that it’s better if the parents are gone.

To: Yes. That’s because the parents in a story are only there to oppose what the protagonist does. For example Gon in “Hunter x Hunter” would be in the upper grades of elementary school in the real world. If he had good parents, they’d never let him go on such a dangerous journey. When you think about it like that, parents really are in the way (laugh). So I thought it’d be better if he didn’t have parents to begin with. Eventually that became a story about searching for his parent, and then I decided on the concept of making his parent a really awful person.

Ishi: I see….!

To: By the way, after reading Ishida-san’s manga, I thought I would like to write a manga about Hisoka’s past connecting to that first scene. I don’t know when that would happen, though (laugh).

Ishi: ……. !

My favorite part is Togashi saying that Ging is a bad parent.

Top Bottom