• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Community |OT| Pudding Pls (*´`) () (^o^)

N° 2048

I have no idea what levels are good for what, but in general make sure you take a run through each optional dungeon, use the +HP (life ring) items for gear, and if you have EXE gauge, spamming Rush and EXE attacks can be really OP. Plutia is also quite OP if you have her. Ditch Compa if you haven't already and have...literally anyone else. Use items to heal.

Speaking of back to back boss fights, I was super pleased Omega Quintet doesn't do those at all, but I thought I heard VII has at least one? I really hate that design, punishes you for going all out against a boss like any reasonable person should be doing.

What bugs me is no save point in between R4i-SDHC and Killachine.

SerTapTap

What bugs me is no save point in between R4i-SDHC and Killachine.

Oh is there an actual gameplay gap between them? Is that the one where you start an area, fight a boss, then have to flee the dungeon and fight another? I only died to each difficulty spike once I think but it seems like I was either lucky or I just know what I'm doing more since I've played since Mk2.

N° 2048

Oh is there an actual gameplay gap between them? Is that the one where you start an area, fight a boss, then have to flee the dungeon and fight another? I only died to each difficulty spike once I think but it seems like I was either lucky or I just know what I'm doing more since I've played since Mk2.

Yea, it's the one where Ganache locks you in Avenir Storage 3, once you beat R4i-SDHC you can move around but there is no save point in that dungeon. The exit unlocks but once you exit it's cut scene + boss.

This is my first Hyperdimension game indeed.

SerTapTap

Iffy still hasn't shipped my Nep U LE :T

Same, I still see awaiting payment. I had gotten my omega quintet LE by now.

Yea, it's the one where Ganache locks you in Avenir Storage 3, once you beat R4i-SDHC you can move around but there is no save point in that dungeon. The exit unlocks but once you exit it's cut scene + boss.

This is my first Hyperdimension game indeed.

Spam rush and EXE if you even have it at that point, remember to spread out mid-boss fight, remember that attacks have different delays (in increasing delay, defend, item, single attack, combo attack, skill, EXE attack), try and manipulate turn order and don't let it get too many turns in a row. The game doesn't show it as well (no live delay preview) but the combat system has an FFX style turn delay system. It can be useful to keep one character at low delay to immediately heal someone after a boss's attack.

This is also why item heals > skill heals, item heals have very little delay, skill heals I think have full skill delay.

And if you haven't been, complete your plans (and some quests!). It's a good source of grinding that doesn't feel as boring, and certain plans have pretty nice effects. If you have it, there's no actual penalty for using the "easier enemies" plan (I'm not sure how significant it is though). It's not like Disgaea where higher difficulty = higher enemy level = higher xp

N° 2048

Spam rush and EXE if you even have it at that point, remember to spread out mid-boss fight, remember that attacks have different delays (in increasing delay, defend, item, single attack, combo attack, skill, EXE attack), try and manipulate turn order and don't let it get too many turns in a row. The game doesn't show it as well (no live delay preview) but the combat system has an FFX style turn delay system. It can be useful to keep one character at low delay to immediately heal someone after a boss's attack.

This is also why item heals > skill heals, item heals have very little delay, skill heals I think have full skill delay.

And if you haven't been, complete your plans (and some quests!). It's a good source of grinding that doesn't feel as boring, and certain plans have pretty nice effects. If you have it, there's no actual penalty for using the "easier enemies" plan (I'm not sure how significant it is though). It's not like Disgaea where higher difficulty = higher enemy level = higher xp

By delay you mean like a certain move takes two turns? Thanks for the help :)

SerTapTap

By delay you mean like a certain move takes two turns? Thanks for the help :)

Not quite...turns are rather fluid, instead of having a set turn order of one for each of you and one for each enemy, it's a complex set based on your/their stats and how much delay each unit's actions have caused. It's also possible by defending (and I think item use) to move your turn FORWARD slightly.

What you want to watch for is times where the boss will get two moves before you get a healthy unit to move (ideally two spread out units, in case one is KO'd). If your current character is the only one who has a turn between two boss unit attacks, you should probably defend or use an item instead of using a high-delay move. That way you can spend that turn healing or whatever instead of taking two attacks at once, then possibly losing one or more units and making everything harder to recover from.

Also, a boss's guard recovers on their turn (by like 25% or something?) if they've been guard broken, so watch out for that. I try not to worry too much about guard break, but if the guard is broken you may as well deal some heavy damage. I like to either save EXE attacks for a guard break, or use two in a row to guard break then hurt them extra (do not use 3 in a row due to delay, you'll certainly let the boss have one or more free turns. Feel free to ignore this if three EXE skills will readily kill the boss of course)

Same, they charged me last week though on the 13th.

The site seems to just list "awaiting payment" until it's "shipped"

N° 2048

Not quite...turns are rather fluid, instead of having a set turn order of one for each of you and one for each enemy, it's a complex set based on your/their stats and how much delay each unit's actions have caused. It's also possible by defending (and I think item use) to move your turn FORWARD slightly.

What you want to watch for is times where the boss will get two moves before you get a healthy unit to move (ideally two spread out units, in case one is KO'd). If your current character is the only one who has a turn between two boss unit attacks, you should probably defend or use an item instead of using a high-delay move. That way you can spend that turn healing or whatever instead of taking two attacks at once, then possibly losing one or more units and making everything harder to recover from.

Also, a boss's guard recovers on their turn (by like 25% or something?) if they've been guard broken, so watch out for that. I try not to worry too much about guard break, but if the guard is broken you may as well deal some heavy damage. I like to either save EXE attacks for a guard break, or use two in a row to guard break then hurt them extra (do not use 3 in a row due to delay, you'll certainly let the boss have one or more free turns. Feel free to ignore this if three EXE skills will readily kill the boss of course)

Thanks a ton, I really appreciate it. I'm going to be playing soon and should have an easier time. I only have EXE Finish unlocked not EXE Drive.

SerTapTap

Thanks a ton, I really appreciate it. I'm going to be playing soon and should have an easier time. I only have EXE Finish unlocked not EXE Drive.

Oh right, if you aren't, grind up the EXE meter before the boss too. Even if it's just EXE finishes, it helps. When possible I try to use paralyze status effects for those (or normal moves), status effects CAN affect bosses...rarely...it's one of those games where you never really know what status can affect what bosses. Also check your set skills every once in a while. I use pretty much all my points in the best rush and power skills, though if you can't use EXE skills definitely target power over rush.

N° 2048

Oh right, if you aren't, grind up the EXE meter before the boss too. Even if it's just EXE finishes, it helps. When possible I try to use paralyze status effects for those (or normal moves), status effects CAN affect bosses...rarely...it's one of those games where you never really know what status can affect what bosses. Also check your set skills every once in a while. I use pretty much all my points in the best rush and power skills, though if you can't use EXE skills definitely target power over rush.

Just beat em using all your tips :D thanks!

tumblr_mkld00mR1h1qbvovho1_500.gif

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Next VII DLC character is God-Eater.

A Square and Bamco character... I wonder if/who they'll have for Capcom? I will be SO happy if they make a Pee-Tii character for Konami, though :p

Oh and question for Neptune U: I got my free DLC today. Any paid characters that came out in Japan for it that I should wait for?

Risette

A Good Citizen
so uh

is re;birth 1 supposed to get really hard all of a sudden? i keep dying to literally everything in the new dungeons. and grinding in the earlier dungeons is basically pointless because i get no exp.

i tried to do that whale thing in the factory but the whale kills me too.

am i doing something wrong?

SerTapTap

so uh

is re;birth 1 supposed to get really hard all of a sudden? i keep dying to literally everything in the new dungeons. and grinding in the earlier dungeons is basically pointless because i get no exp.

i tried to do that whale thing in the factory but the whale kills me too.

am i doing something wrong?

New optional dungeons have the potential to be crazy-hard, are you doing an optional dungeon? Or are you fighting the "risky foe" enemies (the different colored dot on the map, big scary monster models, they don't case you unlike normal enemies), those are designed to be way harder and shouldn't be fought on your first time through. Normal enemies in a story dungeon really shouldn't be giving you too much trouble unless you've somehow gotten really far super low level. Make sure you have good equipment (best stuff in the shop, life rings for everyone)

But in general the game has annoying difficulty spikes I really wish they'd somehow fix, doesn't seem like they will though. The game would be the perfect introduction to the series but the difficulty is a serious problem and is not at all representative of the series. I think I'm going to start recommending people start with Rebirth 2 especially as it hits PC, even if I like the CPU candidates less than the others. I'm hoping Reb 3 will be a perfect intro, I don't really mind recommending the games out of order, IIRC Victory does a good job of introducing everyone anyway. Only 2 doesn't introduce the CPUs well and 1&3 don't introduce the candidates well.

Also lots of people spazz out at the first Compa bandage scene though I think almost all the games start with something like that. Not sure if Victory had one quite so significant. I don't mind the fanservice myself but I think it makes a lot of people assume the whole game's like that since it happens within like 5 minutes before any gameplay.

dammit, give me Atlus-chan

Atlus chan DLC costs $10 more than all other DLCs but at least it has a nice first-print bonus /s

A Square and Bamco character... I wonder if/who they'll have for Capcom? I will be SO happy if they make a Pee-Tii character for Konami, though :p

Oh and question for Neptune U: I got my free DLC today. Any paid characters that came out in Japan for it that I should wait for?

Victory II already has Capcom and Konami characters, K Sha and C Sha, and the Noire game has assorted Konami/Capcom franchise characters like Lid (MGS) Moru (Monster Hunter). I wonder if IFI will stick some extra digs in VII since Konami has kind of imploded since the JP release.

HGH

Banned
I never understood what the Atlus "tax" was since I only ever see their games on sale.

CH have a weird habit of doing this late but apparently they're releasing Nep VII's demo on PSN next week. If you have a Japanese account you can probably go and testfire it.

SerTapTap

I never understood what the Atlus "tax" was since I only ever see their games on sale.

CH have a weird habit of doing this late but apparently they're releasing Nep VII's demo on PSN next week. If you have a Japanese account you can probably go and testfire it.

They're not too bad digitally speaking since they do sales pretty often, but their new retail 3DS games are usually $10 more for no apparent reason. But on the plus side as I alluded to they often have nice pack-ins for first print, but not as good as NISA would pack in for $15 extra so...eh.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Victory II already has Capcom and Konami characters, K Sha and C Sha, and the Noire game has assorted Konami/Capcom franchise characters like Lid (MGS) Moru (Monster Hunter). I wonder if IFI will stick some extra digs in VII since Konami has kind of imploded since the JP release.

I know about the company characters, but since there's a DLC character based on Arthur (SE) and God Eater (Bamco), maybe there are 2 more to come?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
With Re;Birth 3 coming out next month, it continues the IF game each month trend. Time for them to announce more! Only Steam titles and Amnesia are planned right now. VII will be announced probably next month is my guess, along with Trillion.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I got over the difficulty I was having. Bought life rings, fought in new dungeons, got poison abilities and can farm the whale now. Might end up making it too easy lol. Didn't realize how important the life rings were.

Having fun again now, which is good. :)

SerTapTap

I got over the difficulty I was having. Bought life rings, fought in new dungeons, got poison abilities and can farm the whale now. Might end up making it too easy lol. Didn't realize how important the life rings were.

Having fun again now, which is good. :)

Oh, yes, life rings are vital, basically one extra hit from bosses and more from normal enemies at the least. IIRC Rebirth 2 no longer makes them easy to get, but you don't really need them, difficulty is fine in that game. Victory was pretty easy too so I doubt Rebirth 3 will be an issue. I wonder if the difficulty spikes in 1 are a result of completely changing the battle system over the original HDN.

Falk

that puzzling face
I for one loved the difficulty spikes. I'm pretty fine with there being absurd jumps in difficulty along the main narrative path, if there are ways that you can gain a shit ton of effective power level within the game mechanics themselves (i.e. you aren't stuck grinding levels for hours just for that linear numerical increase)

It's sorta like a wild west unexplored frontier, in gaming form. Rough around the edges, where only the strong survive.

ARE YOU A BAD-ASS ENOUGH TO GAME THE SYSTEM?

(This is probably also why I love the Disgaea games. Literal numerical absurdity)

SerTapTap

I don't mind difficulty spikes if I can see them before it's too late, run, or continue with no major loss. Getting stuck in an inescapable encounter that is more or less impossible for me to win and losing save data because of it is basically never okay unless I was extremely aware it was going to be impossible. In disgaea you are given many tools to get out of insane Item World encounters beyond your limits, it's easy to save between any story mission, and you should generally be quite aware when you're getting in over your head (and except for final bosses the story almost never has notable difficulty spikes)

SerTapTap

I wonder what they'll do when they run out of Sega consoles to parody. I don't actively dislike any of the characters but it's a bit lame that Sega has been getting ever-increasing representation...especially considering their ever-increasing irrelevance.

The Dream edition is sweet though, if they had to parody any one Sega console the Dreamcast deserved representation.

OMG Aero

I wonder what they'll do when they run out of Sega consoles to parody. I don't actively dislike any of the characters but it's a bit lame that Sega has been getting ever-increasing representation...especially considering their ever-increasing irrelevance.
VII feels like a hugely missed opportunity to me.
They had a chance to make a clean break and make three new characters based on the current consoles and make them the new main characters (keeping Neptune in the main character role but relegating the other CPUs to bonus party members like the candidates) but they wasted that chance by just making them transformations instead.

SerTapTap

Really enjoying VII without a guide thus far, can't really recommend you import (I did so for the LE and novelty) but it seems to have a lot of welcome changes.

VII feels like a hugely missed opportunity to me.
They had a chance to make a clean break and make three new characters based on the current consoles and make them the new main characters (keeping Neptune in the main character role but relegating the other CPUs to bonus party members like the candidates) but they wasted that chance by just making them transformations instead.

...nah I really don't think so, very glad they kept the characters personally. Neptunia's pretty much all about the characters and interactions and dumping all the most popular characters seems like a fantastic way to completely destroy the franchise. IMO they just need to keep a health rotation of Makers and keep Makers actually worth using in combat instead of useless. Haven't gotten far enough into VII to tell if the Golden transformation whatever thing keeps the Sha girls worth using.

While I do like the new characters, they're very often more one dimensional and less worthy of keeping across multiple games than the original cast. IMO they should just focus more on diversifying their interactions--like Noire and Vert almost never talk to each other, pretty weird since they're the most direct rivals IRL.

jonno394

...nah I really don't think so, very glad they kept the characters personally. Neptunia's pretty much all about the characters and interactions and dumping all the most popular characters seems like a fantastic way to completely destroy the franchise. IMO they just need to keep a health rotation of Makers and keep Makers actually worth using in combat instead of useless. Haven't gotten far enough into VII to tell if the Golden transformation whatever thing keeps the Sha girls worth using.

While I do like the new characters, they're very often more one dimensional and less worthy of keeping across multiple games than the original cast. IMO they should just focus more on diversifying their interactions--like Noire and Vert almost never talk to each other, pretty weird since they're the most direct rivals IRL.

I agree. Part of the reason I like the Neptunia games is because I really like the main cast of characters, removing them from the forefront would be detrimental to my enjoyment! Neptunia U has been my first chance seeing the sisters/candidates (haven't started Rebirth 2 yet) and they're all great, so introducing new characters isn't a big deal as long as Vert, Noire, Neptunia and Blanc remain prevalent!

SerTapTap

I agree. Part of the reason I like the Neptunia games is because I really like the main cast of characters, removing them from the forefront would be detrimental to my enjoyment! Neptunia U has been my first chance seeing the sisters/candidates (haven't started Rebirth 2 yet) and they're all great, so introducing new characters isn't a big deal as long as Vert, Noire, Neptunia and Blanc remain prevalent!

Yeah I think Rebirth 2 was their attempt at showcasing more new characters, while I really like Nepgear and Uni I don't think it went the best (decent game but the characters feel a bit limited). VII seems to have the right idea in keeping the full main cast and the candidates, and some new people, but
goddamn it they focus on Planeptune too much yet again. Played all weekend and still have not gotten control of a non-planeptune character.

Gematsu posted an article with some new info/pictures of the EXTREME ZOMBIE GAME.
Looks pretty neat for a boss.

Is that money coming out of his robe?! Badass. And yeah they can do some pretty cool Giant Evil Thing bosses when they try, I noticed a lot more of that in Neptunia VII.
which makes it even more annoying that Arfoire is yet again your main evil so far

Also I hope that it's still got the full nep cast and not just Blanc/Neptune. The name is sort of weird but I hope I'm just reading too much into that.

Gradon

Gematsu posted an article with some new info/pictures of the EXTREME ZOMBIE GAME.
Looks pretty neat for a boss.

Being a co-op game I am pretty disappointed that it's not on PS4.
I won't find anyone local who will have this game so I imagine online is a must.
Love the premise though.

I kind of agree with new CPU's too, but at least have the four CPU's playable.
Maybe they should create PC, iOS and Android CPU's. ;p

Vylash

Being a co-op game I am pretty disappointed that it's not on PS4.
I won't find anyone local who will have this game so I imagine online is a must.
Love the premise though.

I kind of agree with new CPU's too, but at least have the four CPU's playable.
Maybe they should create PC, iOS and Android CPU's. ;p

Peashy is PC

Top Bottom