• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

Golnei

Finally played with Epona, victory animation is Link playing Epona's song with the Ocarina of Time, d'aww <3

It's also cute that they bothered with a Dark Ocarina.

tumblr_ndl11iRV8B1sbgdg5o1_500.jpg

Though I'm not sure if it took any extra effort besides marking out where to use the glowing eye effect, seeing as it's probably a filter/effect (similar to the way morale-boosted enemies are marked) rather than a set of unique textures. Which should make it trivial to have 'dark' versions of all the playable characters - I want to be able to play as Dark Agitha, not just fight her in Adventure Mode.

AEREC

Surprisingly decent, at least outside of co-op. Though it's not really that fast-paced a game anyway, so minor drops aren't as jarring as they could be.

Are we talking 30 fps with minor drops to 25...or is it more like a target of 60fps that goes down to 30ish?

Another question -- it took like 30 minutes to beat the first two levels after the tutorial. Is that way too long?

You're fine, I guess most stages take about 30-40 minutes to complete.

My Link is level 77 but after that my average character level is around 30, lol.

At first, I thought I would level up Link and then use rupees to level up the other characters. However, they are all so fun to play that they are all on the 45-60 level range. Every now and then, I level up a character two or three levels to keep them all as close as possible, but it pretty much happens naturally to me. I even enjoy playing as Agitha, because she's so weird :)

Are we talking 30 fps with minor drops to 25...or is it more like a target of 60fps that goes down to 30ish?

30 with minor drops to 25. But unless you're really sensitive to frame rate issues, it won't be a problem.

Even with the Rita Repulsa hat, it's a nice design. Shame about how it bleaches her skin, though.

Yeah, though I'm a little confused about how her and Lana's appearance differs from each other in general so much, based on their relation to each other :eek:
I thought I'd play with her in no-mask costume all the time but the little painted lines just under her eyes bother me for some reason so I've ended up rocking the white costume :p

Thanks! The real question I should have asked was, does this game have grinding? I'm still a bit traumatized from Destiny. Sounds like there isn't hardcore grinding, though.

Uh, no. But now I do. So even though the combo scheme is simple, you still have to know what each character's special moves are in the combo set and be able to apply them. Nice!

So -- it cancels the animation but not the combo execution? Gotta work on the dodging -- after too much Dark Souls, I have to re-map that button in my brain.

Ok. Good. Although the key to happiness is low expectations, I did expect a lot from this game. And it looks like it's actually going to meet them. I bought the DLC bundle after playing about an hour.

Another question -- it took like 30 minutes to beat the first two levels after the tutorial. Is that way too long? A lot of that time was wasted running around the map (like finding the bombchu), however.

To answer these as best I can:
* You never HAVE to grind in this game and it even gives you a few systems to help avoid it (like being able to buy levels for characters lower than your highest levelled character,) but it's always an option should you choose to :p
* Yeah, the combo system isn't inherently complex, though some combos seem pretty crucial on certain characters to make them 'work'. Midna without any of her badge combos is pretty tough going and I'm not even sure Agitha would even be playable as she is without them :eek:
* while there are some frames within moves where you can't dodge-cancel, when you can, it will completely cancel everything connected to you. So if you cancel during a move before the move performs a desired effect (hitting the enemy, summoning a monster, buffing you, etc) then it will not perform that effect, you need to cancel after the effect initiates if you want it to connect (most effects only need to start, once they've begun you can cancel out of most of them and they'll continue on without you quite happily :3 ) I hope that explanation doesn't complicate it for you :s
* How long it takes to beat a level isn't important in legend mode so feel free to take your time, get the hang of it and snoop around for hidden chests (you can find them inside explodable rocks and by capturing some out of the way keeps.) You can worry about your completition times later, in adventure mode, when it will genuinely matter ;D

NeonZ

Thanks! The real question I should have asked was, does this game have grinding? I'm still a bit traumatized from Destiny. Sounds like there isn't hardcore grinding, though.
Adventure mode can get a bit grindy if you want to get everything, but it&#8219;s not hard to get the materials or items you want. There are multiple ways to improve material drops and there aren't many per enemy in the first place. The main issue is just needing to get items to progress through the map, like compasses, but those aren't random at all and you can get them quickly. You should get a lot of money there too. so leveling up characters (at least up to level 50) is fast and easy.

darkmagus

Did a couple of network links, so i could level the new Chars. I tried Valga and he is such a boss, Epona moveset was so fun. seeing the new adventure map is so overwhelming since i am not even close to even finish the first one lol

Finally played with Epona, victory animation is Link playing Epona's song with the Ocarina of Time, d'aww <3

I was just coming to post this.

When he pulled out the ocarina, I gasped and teared up a little. I had the Ocarina of Time Epona, so it just tugged at my heartstrings like I didn't think was possible for such a simple victory screen.

What a great feeling.

xinek

* while there are some frames within moves where you can't dodge-cancel, when you can, it will completely cancel everything connected to you. So if you cancel during a move before the move performs a desired effect (hitting the enemy, summoning a monster, buffing you, etc) then it will not perform that effect, you need to cancel after the effect initiates if you want it to connect (most effects only need to start, once they've begun you can cancel out of most of them and they'll continue on without you quite happily :3 ) I hope that explanation doesn't complicate it for you :s

Nope, totally makes sense.

Thanks for the comments, everyone! Can't wait to go unlock some stuff now. I'm in the middle of a house move, but we can't let that get in the way of defending Hyrule...

I want to be able to play as Dark Agitha, not just fight her in Adventure Mode.

And I just want Dark Zant with the giant red headlights, dammit!
The glowing eyes effect seems trivial, so why the hell all the dark versions (besides Link) have the red eyes on their icon but the actual models have only the darkened textures and nothing else?!?

Durden77

Just realized my kill count to unlock the Master Sword's skill hasn't gone down at all. What's the deal? I've killed so many damn dudes with it, feel like it should've unlocked by now.

Also this female weapons quiz with Agitha is the worst. That part when you fight Wizzaro and Lana is terrible because apparently you can't stun Wizzaro with the boomerang. And I hate playin as Agitha. Any tips?

Kinsei

Banned
Just realized my kill count to unlock the Master Sword's skill hasn't gone down at all. What's the deal? I've killed so many damn dudes with it, feel like it should've unlocked by now.

Also this female weapons quiz with Agitha is the worst. That part when you fight Wizzaro and Lana is terrible because apparently you can't stun Wizzaro with the boomerang. And I hate playin as Agitha. Any tips?

You need every weapon for every characters except Cia, Wizzro, and Volga. Have fun getting them all!

Agitha's C2 and C3 destroy enemy officers.

Anbec7

So about the network Link on Adventure, everytime I choose and stage with one I have to run around find it and defeat him??
Because I haven't encountered any of them yet ):

CBTech

So about the network Link on Adventure, everytime I choose and stage with one I have to run around find it and defeat him??
Because I haven't encountered any of them yet ):

Nah, you are helping the Link out. You just have to beat the level and you get the bonus. At least that is how I understand it.

Whoa good to know, thanks. And is C2/3 meaning bby and bbby? I use the one where the beetle drops a lot.

When people use the 'C' terminology the number refers to the button press that you hit 'strong' on. So C1 is just the strong on it's own (y, using your terminology :3 ), C2 is strong on the second button: light then strong (by) and C3 is the third button in the string: light, light, strong (bby)

C2 for Agitha is a spray of butterflies that launches your foe and is a great lead-up to C3 (especially if you dodge cancel after the launch) as whoever you're going to summon the giant beetle on will still be in the air and unable to interrupt you, though as mentioned you'll want to dodge out of her happy dance after the summon ASAP :3

bobohoro

Cx refers to charge (X in traditional warriors control scheme) attacks. And mathematically Cx relates to Y(x-1) and...wait, eh...here:

C1 = X
C2 = YX
C3 = YYX

That's standard musou nomenclature.

So does Epona feel like a fully functional moveset?

Also, how does it control? is it clunky and hard to turn like riding a horse in a regular DW game? Or does Link and Epona have the same movement as any regular character in the game?

emb

When people use the 'C' terminology the number refers to the button press that you hit 'strong' on. So C1 is just the strong on it's own (y, using your terminology :3 ), C2 is strong on the second button: light then strong (by) and C3 is the third button in the string: light, light, strong (bby)

C2 for Agitha is a spray of butterflies that launches your foe and is a great lead-up to C3 (especially if you dodge cancel after the launch) as whoever you're going to summon the giant beetle on will still be in the air and unable to interrupt you, though as mentioned you'll want to dodge out of her happy dance after the summon ASAP :3

Cx refers to charge (X in traditional warriors control scheme) attacks. And mathematically Cx relates to Y(x-1) and...wait, eh...here:

C1 = X
C2 = YX
C3 = YYX

That's standard musou nomenclature.
Ohhhh.

This whole time I thought Cn --> press Y n times then press X. I might need to go edit some posts now to fix the off by 1 errors. Since C means charge, it seems like the standard strong attack (no pressing Y) would be uncharged and either irrelevant to C notation or just called C0.

NeonZ

So does Epona feel like a fully functional moveset?

Also, how does it control? is it clunky and hard to turn like riding a horse in a regular DW game? Or does Link and Epona have the same movement as any regular character in the game?

Nah, Epona turns around like a regular character, it can dodge and you can even control her movement while using the standard combo. It's much better than horse combat in DW/SW, just don't expect realistic movement. The charge attacks generally make it stop, but using charge attack right after a combo results in a boost, so you're right back to movement.

I thought it seemed disappointing in the promo trailer, but actually playing with it is fun and it's a fairly effective moveset. Also, the moveset has sword beams too, like the Master Sword.

xinek

Ohhhh.

This whole time I thought Cn --> press Y n times then press X. I might need to go edit some posts now to fix the off by 1 errors. Since C means charge, it seems like the standard strong attack (no pressing Y) would be uncharged and either irrelevant to C notation or just called C0.

Yep, no wonder some of the stuff I was trying from this thread wasn't working. *sigh*

So I just used Volga for the first time.
MOTHER OF GOD.

The dragon dive bomb is incredibly OP, Is like having an infinite special attack gauge. And maybe you say, well, probably the rest of his moveset is gimped.
LOL NO
The rest of him moves are fast and devastating.

Also used him in the new legend level of Twilight realm. In one of the dive bombs he hitted Zant and sended him flying to inside the temple, making me fail the mission. Had to repeat
Argorok again

So how does the mission change if you defeat Zant before Midna? More difficult, easier? Does Midna
summon argorok if you defeat Zant first?

Doing the new mission in hard mode is taking me a bunch of time with all the submissions that appear at midlevel (and usually making grunts powerful eneough they cant take bases in seconds, also adding yellow aura to the majority of the commanders). 30-40 minutes. Doesnt help that the 3 characters are less than level 10 right now.
I get them 7 levels up ith every mission I have done.

So I thought this game was going to be a hot mess. Something that was mediocre at best and just something to play around with until Smash came out. Boy was I wrong.

I find myself wanting to play this more than Smash Bros., and that's saying something since my time to game has been greatly reduced lately.

My I had my girlfriend listen to the music and that got her to want to play co-op with me, especially since there is a part in the Skloft song that sound like something from her favorite band.

I haven't run into any network Links yet, but I only have one friend with the game and I don't think he will wander into the non story bits.

Must've been a glitch during the Death Mountain level. I accidentally selected "start from last save" instead of "last checkpoint" and I kept dying within five minutes no matter what I did. The enemies kept taking over my base. Was driving me bonkers!

Luckily my quicksave was still intact. I restarted the game and continued from last time and beat the level.

So a good advice to everyone: save manually often through the quicksave option. It doesn't erase no matter how many times you restart a checkpoint or last auto save

taizuke

What's the best way to get good weapons? I sometimes use mixtures but they don't seem to really help much. Then again I hesitate to use "weapon drop III" so as to not waste precious items. Is that the way to go or will I get the good weapons eventually in adventure mode?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What's the best way to get good weapons? I sometimes use mixtures but they don't seem to really help much. Then again I hesitate to use "weapon drop III" so as to not waste precious items. Is that the way to go or will I get the good weapons eventually in adventure mode?
Rank or Stars potion.

Have a weapon with the stars and slots enchantments

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Got it.

Updating, then I will be downloading DLC, then I will be playing for hours.

Dat greed buy satisfaction.

Just found a way to level up fast as hell Volga (probably also works with Cya, probably more difficult using Wizzro) without using rupees.
Go to the reward map where you have to ally one of the girls a use Volga (had mine on level 7 before entering). Just at the start begin using the dragon divebomb into the big group of grunts. Its one hit kill and you will see the character level up with nearly each divebomb. After the first group is killed, go to the next, but dont get near any of the girls. I just went 2 levels in less than 15 seconds.

Of course Im sure once you get like level 20 you will have to level up normally, but is good just to give them that push at the beginning.

Probably works with Cya's boot stomp also.

Thats how overpowered this two moves are.

EDIT:
Just got him at level 21 (from 7) in 20 minutes of killing grunts in this stage (4000KO)
Seems at level 18 things started to slow down. Killed every base when I was just scraping to get to 22.
Now im going to try to get rid of the girl commanders, but I will probably die. The good thing though is that even if you fail the game lets you keep all the exp.

EDIT 2:
HOLY SHIT.
So with this technique the rest of the commanders are with very little life because the grunts where trying to kill them while they are neutral while you kill the grunt bases. So when you get an ally and cure them, the rest will be with out army and life. For each commander I killed in a few hits I went up a level, and even dark link in the enemy base was a piece of cake with the divebomb.
So at the end I went to level 26 before finisghing the stage, and they also give precios loot.

Perfect techinique, will try it with Cya now.

TheMoon

Just found a way to level up fast as hell Volga (probably also works with Cya, probably more difficult using Wizzro) without using rupees.
Go to the reward map where you have to ally one of the girls a use Volga (had mine on level 7 before entering). Just at the start begin using the dragon divebomb into the big group of grunts. Its one hit kill and you will see the character level up with nearly each divebomb.
I just went 2 levels in less than 15 seconds.

Of course Im sure once you get like level 20 you will have to level up normally, but is good just to give them that push at the beginning.

Probably works with Cya's boot stomp also.

Thats how overpowered this two moves are.

My eyes are twitching. You know she's called Cia, not Cya, right?

My eyes are twitching. You know she's called Cia, not Cya, right?

Is Cya in spanish, we also call Agitha - Maripola, Fi is Fay and Ghirahim is Grahim.

I usually try to write Agitha because the change is really big, but it's pretty normal for me to write without noticing the spanish names of the others instead of the english ones.

TheMoon

Cya is her French name, like Fay :lol
Maybe in other languages too.

Oh what, really? Okay, nevermind then!

While we're sharing oddly localized character names: Sheik is called Shiek in German (because stupid Germans would pronounce Sheik as Shyke and Shiek is fool-proof lol).

Is Cya in spanish, we also call Agitha - Maripola, Fi is Fay and Ghirahim is Grahim.

I usually try to write Agitha because the change is really big, but it's pretty normal for me to write without noticing the spanish names of the others instead of the english ones.

I thought you might be punning because Cya= C ya = see ya... :D

The fun thing about Maripola is that is a pun for insects and a girl's name at the same time. And as you know Nintendo localisation teams loves to make puns with the majority of NPC characters.
The problem is, they never knew a simple NPC from Twilight Princess would be one day a playable character, im sure if that was the case the spanish translators would have let her with Agitha instead of the Maripola pun.

Do you mean the Dinolfos and Lizalfos chieftains? If so, it really sucks that they didn't get names in the English localization.

Well Dinol and Lizal are names, even if they are stupid. Fits their characters really lol

Oh what, really? Okay, nevermind then!

While we're sharing oddly localized character names: Sheik is called Shiek in German (because stupid Germans would pronounce Sheik as Shyke and Shiek is fool-proof lol).

I thought you might be punning because Cya= C ya = see ya... :D

Yeah, sounds similar lol
I suppose they change it becuase with having the y in the middle, it makes spanish people try to pronounce it in "english" so we are more inclined to say it like "shia" instead of Zia or something.

Just did the leveling up technique with Cia. Not as affective as with Volga (because she is slower killing off enemies) but still possible.
Just got her to level 25 and got 3 golden loot badges to boot!

Now that i think, its a pity that I didnt have a weapon with Experience+ when i tried this. Could have been an amazing level up with one of those.

Bombless

My nnid is Bombless, add me up!

I'm kinda stuck in Legend mode at the battle with Lana against the
Twilight King
. Haven't really found a way to actually hurt the
dragon once I managed to bring it down

Love this game. I'm going to have one busy week with it (until Bayonetta lands and takes over my life).

Kinsei

Banned
My nnid is Bombless, add me up!

I'm kinda stuck in Legend mode at the battle with Lana against the
Twilight King
. Haven't really found a way to actually hurt the
dragon once I managed to bring it down

Love this game. I'm going to have one busy week with it (until Bayonetta lands and takes over my life).

Do you want to know how?
Use the hookshot on his tail when it turns blue.

Top Bottom