• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

RPGCrazied

Anyone else have their game freeze on them? First time for me, after 1.3 patch. It was after an adventure mode map with Midna. After the results screen I got a black screen and it just sat there. I had to power my Wii U down with the power button.

Kinsei

Banned
I love Wizzro's alt color. He'd make a pretty awesome death.

I'm surprised that the red ring is his level 2 weapon, I thought for sure that it's be his level 3.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Anyone else have their game freeze on them? First time for me, after 1.3 patch. It was after an adventure mode map with Midna. After the results screen I got a black screen and it just sat there. I had to power my Wii U down with the power button.

I did once the first week, but not since then.

Effect

Wow, the rumour that Zelda sings her own tune when using Lana's soul gate is true o_O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iopl3nNAhco (you can hear it at 1:52)

That's really weird and I wonder if it's something that might actually be unlocked at some point. How is it that she's singing her own song during that?

The Hero of Hyrule pack should be around for good right? Haven't had the budget to buy it just yet but likely will come next Friday when I picked up Bayonetta 2 and Fantasy Life. That weekend will be a good time to pick it up finally.

Kinsei

Banned
That's really weird and I wonder if it's something that might actually be unlocked at some point. How is it that she's singing her own song during that?

The Hero of Hyrule pack should be around for good right? Haven't had the budget to buy it just yet but likely will come next Friday when I picked up Bayonetta 2 and Fantasy Life. That weekend will be a good time to pick it up finally.

It's possible that she was meant to hum it during a baton attack, but they scrapped it for some reason.

There's been no mention of it being a limited time offer so you should be fine.

Dreavus

Twice actually, same situation as you (although two different characters I think). In my case, the screen was black but the Wii U pad was still showing whatever was on it during the level.

Richie

Just tried the game after downloading the DLC...Cia is a goddamn beast. Almost makes Ganondorf look like small time (haven't tried Volga nor Wizzo yet). I was having the time of my life killing enemies left and right...Killed 108 Gorons with one special, which gave me the corresponding achievement...This lady means business! Both King Dodongo and Wizzo made it to the allied base, and managed to beat them both while in there, it was such an intense mission, real satisfying. Laughed heartily at some of the dialogue there, poor clueless Gorons.

And what about that Epona DLC, guys. Putting down those annoying Lizalfos like they were nothing, using them like a beach ball for my girl to entertain herself with, my horse doesn't have time for their shit! And then giving King Dodongo the final blow using Epona, good lord I laughed so hard and heartily.

If we're going by sheer unaltered fun, this game is definitely a GOTY contender for me. Who would have thought I'd have gone from "looks real repetitive but it's Zelda, should be fun for some hours" to loving it this much.

StAidan

Just tried the game after downloading the DLC...Cia is a goddamn beast. Almost makes Ganondorf look like small time (haven't tried Volga nor Wizzo yet). I was having the time of my life killing enemies left and right...Killed 108 Gorons with one special, which gave me the corresponding achievement...This lady means business! Both King Dodongo and Wizzo made it to the allied base, and managed to beat them both while in there, it was such an intense mission, real satisfying. Laughed heartily at some of the dialogue there, poor clueless Gorons.

No kidding, I just finished it up myself and that was probably the most hard-won battle I've had so far. My Cia was level 7 when all was said and done. I was in Volga's base, attacking him, when the two Dodongos showed up and Wizzro started attacking the allied base. Just about bought the farm trying to escape the Volga/Dodongo combo and then had to face off against Wizzro/Dodongo in my home base. After bringing them down, I returned to Volga. I probably retreated from those battles 4 or 5 times looking for stray red pots in my keeps.

That mission certainly demonstrated just how much the game can throw at you (and just how much I can handle).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the Allied Base had a single pixel of health remaining when I brought down the two bosses in there. Boy, was that a relief. I was fully expecting to start the whole mission over again at that point and try a different strategy.

Bought this game just over a week ago, and just beat it. Now I'm trying out some of the DLC content. I think Cia is soooo awesome. She's my favorite character in this game by far.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Even though I just got Mario 3D World, Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8, and have Bayonetta 2 and Smash Bros on preorder... I still want this. Am I a fool? Who has time for all that at once? I should really just wait for a holiday sale...

Even though I just got Mario 3D World, Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8, and have Bayonetta 2 and Smash Bros on preorder... I still want this. Am I a fool? Who has time for all that at once? I should really just wait for a holiday sale...

7 days and a few hours left til Bayonetta 2. I think Hyrule Warriors will be a nice warm-up until the real show arrives.

I know I'll be comin back to Hyrule Warriors time and time again as I kinda dig the fact that you can play on the dark side. Plus there's plenty of DLC planned. I wouldn't think anyone to be a fool to be playing this game even when Bayo is right on the horizon.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

Make time.

Seriously though, all of those and Hyrule Warriors are great games. It would be great to have Hyrule Warriors available "on the side" (by which I don't mean it's a lesser game) because the vast amount of content means you can play the game in many frequent bursts over a long period of time. I've been basically doing this since September 19th, playing it for ~2 hours every other day. And with the season pass, the game just keeps growing!

Neo Dark

So I finally unlocked Lana's summoning gate and she is so precious using it.

She's like, "war going on?"
ri2pu9mpfaru8sh6g.jpg

I have homework due tomorrow. Instead I went and made a gif (or jpg... not sure why MediaFire felt the need to change the extension) for this.. clearly I'm using my time wisely.

Just finished all five of Cia's story in Legendary mode. I like how they weren't all linked together and placed upon different parts of the timeline. They were fun and I like the new narratives added; however, I'm disappointed that there were no new cutscenes added in. I really like the cutscenes in Hyrule Warriors and compared to Samurai Warriors 3, there were definitely too few in this game. Since the other DLC don't have any more chapters to add in Legendary mode, I'm not expecting any more in future updates =(

Just finished all five of Cia's story in Legendary mode. I like how they weren't all linked together and placed upon different parts of the timeline. They were fun and I like the new narratives added; however, I'm disappointed that there were no new cutscenes added in. I really like the cutscenes in Hyrule Warriors and compared to Samurai Warriors 3, there were definitely too few in this game. Since the other DLC don't have any more chapters to add in Legendary mode, I'm not expecting any more in future updates =(

Cross your fingers for the Ganon dlc because it's going to add two new "modes" whatever that means.

Actually I hope one of those modes is BREAK THE GAME MODE where you can equip any weapon to any char

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Maybe I should play my copy of DW8 that I've barely touched to quench my thirst...

...but then I'm not kicking ass with princess Zelda...

Edit: Now I remember why I stopped playing it so quickly. Maybe I should play as Lu Bu so I never have to try sneaking around his notice to avoid getting wiped 20 mins into a mission every time.

Nohar

Cross your fingers for the Ganon dlc because it's going to add two new "modes" whatever that means.

Actually I hope one of those modes is BREAK THE GAME MODE where you can equip any weapon to any char

That wouldn't be a new mode. That would be a new feature.
Also, you can already do that. It's a glitch though.

Kouriozan

I was expecting to like this game, not to love it and still being addicted a whole month after its release.
It really was a nice idea to mix Zelda with Dynasty Warriors.

Maybe I should play my copy of DW8 that I've barely touched to quench my thirst...

...but then I'm not kicking ass with princess Zelda...

Edit: Now I remember why I stopped playing it so quickly. Maybe I should play as Lu Bu so I never have to try sneaking around his notice to avoid getting wiped 20 mins into a mission every time.

do not pursue Lu Bu

That wouldn't be a new mode. That would be a new feature.
Also, you can already do that. It's a glitch though.

I know, but I would rather do it not in co-op and be able to include characters without multiple weapons. Apparently there is a way but its hard to do reliably.
Also I was obviously joking about it being a mode

Intel_89

Is it just me or did they manage to improve the framerate? It didn't seem to drop quite as much as it used to last night, I might be wrong though.

Neo Dark

Is it just me or did they manage to improve the framerate? It didn't seem to drop quite as much as it used to last night, I might be wrong though.

I actually felt the same on certain parts. Though the new story for Cia, that first part did have quite some dips

TheMoon

Go to free mode, find Lana and see if she has her
Guardian of Time
costume. Or try going into adventure mode and see if Master Quest is listed

If everything was installed, the game told you so during boot up.

There was a pop-up message "ADD-ON CONTENT INSTALLATION COMPLETE" in the Wii U menu after starting the game

Then there was a barrage of Zelda treasure jingles because of all the unlocks "YOU CAN NOW PLAY AS CIA!" "YOU'VE GOT A NEW WEAPON: EPONA!" etc etc.

Then it tells you it's version 1.3.0 on the title screen.

Really, you CANNOT miss it.

NeonZ

I'm happy with the Epona moveset. The promo video made it seem really slow and without fluidity, but that was just because they were spaming charge attacks. The standard combo sequence can be used while Epona runs, and a couple of the charge attacks (thanks to the boost afterwards) flows fine within it too.

CBTech

Isn't that amazing?

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01l1qb6.jpg

Ah, you got Impa's 8-bit croissant. Nice.

A lot of you mentioned having level 80+ characters. I've completed a lot of adventure mode and am still only at ~45. I'm currently getting everyone's level 3 weapons. If you need to grind what stages are the best?

NeonZ

Is there any point to killing a (DLC Master Quest spoilers, if there's such a thing)
Silver Cucco?

Anyway, I think the weakest part of the DLC are the new story chapters. The first two are good, and even solve a plothole (why Proxi talked about the monsters going after it and then hid within Link, rather than just running away) but afterwards they go off rails and contradict the main story several times, even though they're supposed to be adding to it and don't even have an epilogue of their own.

Midna is in Imp form even before Cia gets involved, Agitha randomly wanders into the Twilight Realm because... why not?; The Imprisoned is somehow summoned in Skyloft even though the Sealed Grounds are acknowledged in the main story, and Fii was actually fighting alongside the Skyloft army before suddenly deciding to go back to sword form and wait for Link; Then, in the final dlc chapter, Ganondorf gathers this huge army, including giant bosses, even though he seems to have very few troops and had to rebuild his power base in his first story chapter that would take place after that.

The randomness of those chapters remind me of the "what if" stories in Dynasty Warriors 8 compared to the main storyline (the player had to trigger several events to unlock the what if routes, but often those chapter had fairly random events completely unrelated to anything the player had done), but these were supposed to be side-stories...

xinek

Ok, I've never played a Dynasy Warriors game before. Some noob questions:

I played the first couple missions (?), and I LOVE this game so far. How do I know what character/weapon I should use? Do you always follow the game's suggestions?

Should I use the Warriors or Zelda button layout?

I've been playing with the game pad -- is the pro controller better?

Combos seem fairly simple, but are there any "hidden" combos?

How the heck do I know what upgrade paths are best for the characters? Are materials & currency pretty abundant, or can I screw myself early on by spending unwisely?

Ok, I've never played a Dynasy Warriors game before. Some noob questions:

I played the first couple missions (?), and I LOVE this game so far. How do I know what character/weapon I should use? Do you always follow the game's suggestions?

I've been playing with the game pad -- is the pro controller better?

How the heck do I know what upgrade paths are best for the characters? Are materials & currency pretty abundant, or can I screw myself early on by spending unwisely?

1. Use whatever weapon you like (please try them all, the game is more fun that way!).
2. Warriors-controls is what most people use. It's more or less the same thing though.
3. "Better"? Depends on what feels more comfortable; they have the exact same control scheme. I prefer pro controller.
4. Yeah, combos are a little more advanced than you'd think, but likewise you can complete the game without worrying about it if you want to keep it casual.
5. There's obviously an infinite amount of materials and cash, if that's what you're asking. You can see what the upgrades do by hovering over them.

NeonZ

It only changes the placement of a couple of buttons. In spite of being quite used to Warriors games, I went with Zelda and haven't had any problems.

You know that there are badges to unlock moves, right? Anyway, some characters have some special commands or gimmicks for their mvoesets, like how if you roll and press charge attack with Link he does a jump attack rather than the standard charge attack, or how you can follow up any combo that leaves you in the air with more air strikes by pressing the standard attack button.

Also, you can cancel animations by pressing the dodge button (but the combo input is reset so you go back to the first attack of the sequence), something very useful for some of the movesets you'll unlock later.

Your priority should be unlocking the badges of the full combo of each character & weapon. Then the bottle, weak point gauge, special bar, etc. You can get more of everything, especially once you start playing Adventure mode.

I must apologize, as I'm sure this has already been asked:

Is the season pass and the Dark Link costume a permanent option for purchasing the HW DLC on the eShop?

xinek

5. There's obviously an infinite amount of materials and cash, if that's what you're asking. You can see what the upgrades do by hovering over them.

Thanks! The real question I should have asked was, does this game have grinding? I'm still a bit traumatized from Destiny. Sounds like there isn't hardcore grinding, though.

NeonZ said:
You know that there are badges to unlock moves, right? Anyway, some characters have some special commands or gimmicks for their mvoesets, like how if you roll and press charge attack with Link he does a jump attack rather than the standard charge attack, or how you can follow up any combo that leaves you in the air with more air strikes by pressing the standard attack button.
Uh, no. But now I do. So even though the combo scheme is simple, you still have to know what each character's special moves are in the combo set and be able to apply them. Nice!

NeonZ said:
Also, you can cancel animations by pressing the dodge button (but the combo input is reset so you go back to the first attack of the sequence), something very useful for some of the movesets you'll unlock later.
So -- it cancels the animation but not the combo execution? Gotta work on the dodging -- after too much Dark Souls, I have to re-map that button in my brain.

NeonZ said:
Your priority should be unlocking the badges of the full combo of each character & weapon. Then the bottle, weak point gauge, special bar, etc. You can get more of everything, especially once you start playing Adventure mode.
Ok. Good. Although the key to happiness is low expectations, I did expect a lot from this game. And it looks like it's actually going to meet them. I bought the DLC bundle after playing about an hour.

Another question -- it took like 30 minutes to beat the first two levels after the tutorial. Is that way too long? A lot of that time was wasted running around the map (like finding the bombchu), however.

Top Bottom