• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

CBTech

I'm certainly interested in trying done other musuo games. Which ones would you recommend? How are the Gundam ones? I'm a fan of Gundam so I'm interested to see if they are as well done as HW.

PKrockin

Is there any way to kill things faster? Harder enemies like Darknuts sometimes take ages to use the attack that reveals their weak point. I can hit them twice and dash cancel and repeat but that does hardly any damage. Bosses can take a long time too. Should I just switch to Normal?

so has this game converted many to liking musou?
My sister finished this game, loved it, and asked me about Dynasty Warriors. Once I mentioned it's based on Chinese history she flipped and made me order it immediately. She thought they were about made up dynasties.

jholmes

The unlockable skills that need 2000 KOs. They're always "Vs (something)", like undead, soldiers, ocarina of time warriors (Sheik is thrown in here), skyward sword warriors (Impa counts here too), etc.

I got a Vs. Ganon which sounds awesome in theory but is pretty damn useless in reality.

NeonZ

Is there any way to kill things faster? Harder enemies like Darknuts sometimes take ages to use the attack that reveals their weak point. I can hit them twice and dash cancel and repeat but that does hardly any damage.

Hit them once from the front, then roll/dodge to behind them quickly. That automatically triggers their weak point. Also works against Stalmasters.

Bosses can take a long time too. Should I just switch to Normal?

The only enemy that bothered me while playing through the story was Darunia, but you can do that if you feel like it. Are you using the Rupees to level up your characters though? Level up raises the damage they cause. Either way, the Adventure mode will have actual challenge too, and it doesn't have variable difficulty (Stages get progressively harder towards the corners of the map, but you can't chose the difficulty of each one).

PKrockin

Hit them once from the front, then roll/dodge to behind them quickly. That automatically triggers their weak point. Also works against Stalmasters.
Roll behind them quickly? Oh shit, nice reference Team Ninja.

The only enemy that bothered me while playing through the story was Darunia, but you can do that if you feel like it. Are you using the Rupees to level up your characters though? Level up raises the damage they cause.
Yeah, I am. Sometimes I'm too poor to raise their level much, and the new characters start with a garbage weapon, and sometimes they're just bad/I'm bad at them. If I decide to restart and use someone else I can't get my rupees back to spend on someone else sadly.

Richie

So I bought Bayonetta 2, which is a game acclaimed to hell and back.
I LOVED The Wonderful 101 and that on its own was enough to trust Platinum with anything, let alone a release that's reaching serious status for GOTY candidate.
I actually managed to purchase it earlier than its official release day.

...And yet, it sits next to me untouched, waiting for whatever the time will be when I can put down Hyrule Warriors and its addictive-as-sin Adventure Mode.

Help me, GAF.

Dreavus

So I bought Bayonetta 2, which is a game acclaimed to hell and back.
I LOVED The Wonderful 101 and that on its own was enough to trust Platinum with anything, let alone a release that's reaching serious status for GOTY candidate.
I actually managed to purchase it earlier than its official release day.

...And yet, it sits next to me untouched, waiting for whatever the time will be when I can put down Hyrule Warriors and its addictive-as-sin Adventure Mode.

Help me, GAF.

I love Hyrule Warriors, but you need to switch those discs my friend.

Richie

I love Hyrule Warriors, but you need to switch those discs my friend.

Oh yes, a better part of me is telling me so. It's funny how I first thought this game wouldn't be able to hold my attention as it looked so repetitive in videos, and now I'm hooked like I haven't been with any Wii U game before. The DLC, the Adventure Mode challenges, Skulltulas, Heart Containers, Heart Pieces, Characters, leveling up, materials, badges, holy shit is there CONTENT here.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Got the lvl3 deku staff. Just needed to level her up to not-sucking including several badges. Makes a huge difference when your hits are actually hurting them!

bobohoro

I'm certainly interested in trying done other musuo games. Which ones would you recommend? How are the Gundam ones? I'm a fan of Gundam so I'm interested to see if they are as well done as HW.

Not a Gundam fan/player myself, but I read that they are pretty great games for fans. You might need to ask around a bit to know if you want 2, 3 or Reborn, since there are some big positives/negatives to each of them.

If you want something similar to Hyrule Warriors, look into Pirate Warriors 2. It helps if you are into One Piece, but even without prior knowledge, the game is crazy fun and has some of the best movesets out of all musou games. It also features the evade mechanic, which makes it the most similar to HW, since you can dash cancel and stuff, and the pace of the game is quite quick.

Got the lvl3 deku staff. Just needed to level her up to not-sucking including several badges. Makes a huge difference when your hits are actually hurting them!

Yeah badges make a huge difference. Getting at least the moderate ones in key areas for characters you are struggling with might help if you are stuck somewhere. Especially the weak point and block damage badges improve your average time by a large margin.

And 5 levels give you 25-30 more points in strength, which equates to one or two weapon stars, so that's also a pretty big jump. Character progression in this game really is pretty noticeable, every little advancement helps.

Neo Dark

The unlockable skills that need 2000 KOs. They're always "Vs (something)", like undead, soldiers, ocarina of time warriors (Sheik is thrown in here), skyward sword warriors (Impa counts here too), etc.

Ahh I see. I never unlocked those. So do you just use that weapon and kill x amount of mobs as listed on the weapon to get it unlocked or something? And does it have to be in a single dungeon or can you spread out the kill count.

They sure do. Though I recently unlocked Agitha and had to use her in a dungeon on Master Quest and still feel like her skills aren't that great.

NeonZ

Ahh I see. I never unlocked those. So do you just use that weapon and kill x amount of mobs as listed on the weapon to get it unlocked or something? And does it have to be in a single dungeon or can you spread out the kill count.

You can spread the kill count. 1000 KO skills are item+ (automatically give you an upgraded item after killing 100 times) and the 3000 KO skills are varied abilities, like defenseless (attack power raised, but can't block).

There's also the 25000 KO skills, but you can only start unlocking those after getting all weapon types and tiers, and first unlocking the Master Sword's own 25k skill (which raises its power to 500). The 25k skills of the other weapons raise their base power to 300 (before adding the stars), so a 5 star three tier weapon gets a base power of 450, rather than 420 - and you'd get the same result form a 5 star tier one or two weapon. So, basically, you can use that to give a initial weapon a power comparable to tier three. In my game, I've recently used it to make a standard Hyrule Warriors Epona (not Twilight or Time) usable in later Adventure mode maps.

They sure do. Though I recently unlocked Agitha and had to use her in a dungeon on Master Quest and still feel like her skills aren't that great.

Agitha's best killing move to me is C4 (normal thrice, strong once, creates an hurricane) followed by charge attack and another C4 (butterfly summon, aerial attacks and dive). It causes heavy damage to officers trapped in the hurricane. Alternatively, if you're just facing one officer, you can go with C3, the beetle summon. You can dodge cancel out of it and use that continuously. To kill grunts, generally I go with C5 (Beetle summon that chargers forward followed by the butterfly summon + dive bomb).

Jackano

I hate the translations for the "quiz" rooms in general...
Defeat the character with a spear.
THAT IS NOT A QUESTION!

it should be laid out that you must defeat the answer to the question and then merely ask, which character uses a spear? -_-

The translation is very bad in general for this game (I play in french).
I think it hasn't been handled by Nintendo, but by Tecmo Koei. I would like a confirmation on this, I hadn't checked any credits yet.
If it's as bad in english, it can't be NoA/Treehouse work. If it's still NoE, damn, the new guys at localization sucks.

JoeM86

I hate the translations for the "quiz" rooms in general...
Defeat the character with a spear.
THAT IS NOT A QUESTION!

it should be laid out that you must defeat the answer to the question and then merely ask, which character uses a spear? -_-

Didn't see them as quizzes. On my game, they're listed as trials.

darkmagus

Got ghirahim Lvl3 weapon, i am surprised that this wasn't as hard as i thought it would be.
Did some Network links but a lvl 99 one is not going away lol.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there an easy way to know what you need to reach Rank A in kills? I hate finishing a mission easily enough, but didn't have enough kills to get rank A. :(

Also, lol at the Imprisoned mission that require Fi. I was wondering why I was sucking so bad, turns out it was a lvl 8 mission and i was playing a lvl 19 Fi with a weapon doing less than 100 damage. Wish i noticed that lvl 8 sooner. :p

No. I think without being able to play as Zelda characters I would find more faults with the game play and not like it. There's certain problems I overlook mostly because it lets me rip Bokoblins and Stalfos apart as Ganondorf. If it was random big Japanese man ripping apart random Japanese soldiers, I wouldn't be as attached or have as much fun.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is there an easy way to know what you need to reach Rank A in kills? I hate finishing a mission easily enough, but didn't have enough kills to get rank A. :(

Also, lol at the Imprisoned mission that require Fi. I was wondering why I was sucking so bad, turns out it was a lvl 8 mission and i was playing a lvl 19 Fi with a weapon doing less than 100 damage. Wish i noticed that lvl 8 sooner. :p

I think 1200 is generally the number to shoot for.

NeonZ

When there's a KO requirement (only in missions with the full battlefields and two armies), it's always 1200. You need 3 KOs for the quiz stages too, of course, but that should be pretty obvious.

I dunno if I'd enjoy a musuo game without the giant boss creatures, weakness meters and evade mechanic (is pirate warriors the only other warriors series with this mechanic? If so that seems like a shame :eek: ) so I've not really looked into them much other than watch a quick video or two. What little I did see was a lot of juggling and I prefer having to read and punish patterns over trying to rack up huge combos, personally :3

explodet

And the materials grind begins. Need those gold materials - although at this point I'd settle for drops that aren't weapons.

Thankfully punching Gohma in the face rarely gets old.
Fuck you, you crab bastard.

StAidan

This game has become my undisputed GOTY, and I'd buy a sequel in a heartbeat, but I still have no interest in Dynasty Warriors as a series. The Chinese history angle just doesn't do it for me, and I think I would sorely miss some of the gameplay additions that were introduced in Hyrule Warriors.

Regardless, now that I've had firsthand experience with musou, I definitely have a strong appreciation for it, as opposed to being completely ignorant of it before.

shaowebb

Twilight Princess DLC character is sort of a mystery. Ilia? Renaldo? Final Form Midna? Maybe the Yetis?

How about something more bizarre though.

MALO PILOTING THE MAGIC ARMOR.
PE5OVoX.jpg
Think Baby Commando from Captain Commando.

jhU6930.jpg

Except its THE HERO OF SAVINGS MALO...
suhSNTG.jpg

Piloting this...
kO0PBOE.jpg

I want Final Form Midna, Ilia and a bunch of others too, but I gotta say after joking about this that I wouldn't be disappointed to have something as ridiculous as Malo piloting the Magic Armor as the Twilight Princess rep. Koei would go nuts making the moveset as over the top as possible. He could use Bomb Arrows and the Hawkeye he sold. The Double Clawshot for a tornado grab, Throw Kakariko Wooden shields around and just other general mayhem like using lamp oil and lamps to create fire traps.

Silly idea, but I thought I'd share for the hilarity of it.

Neo Dark

Agitha's best killing move to me is C4 (normal thrice, strong once, creates an hurricane) followed by charge attack and another C4 (butterfly summon, aerial attacks and dive). It causes heavy damage to officers trapped in the hurricane. Alternatively, if you're just facing one officer, you can go with C3, the beetle summon. You can dodge cancel out of it and use that continuously. To kill grunts, generally I go with C5 (Beetle summon that chargers forward followed by the butterfly summon + dive bomb).

Thanks for the info and lol. You pretty much described how I played her (well the C4 part). I literally just spam that skill over and over so the officer is stuck in the nado. Very effective against Zant. Still hate the slowness of her attacks though especially the beetle summon. Half the time the officer would have moved away and the attack would miss.

Thanks for the info and lol. You pretty much described how I played her (well the C4 part). I literally just spam that skill over and over so the officer is stuck in the nado. Very effective against Zant. Still hate the slowness of her attacks though especially the beetle summon. Half the time the officer would have moved away and the attack would miss.

If you want to beetle summon on any humanoid, use C2 first to launch them (weak then strong), then dash cancel into summon. This not only prevents them from moving or attacking while you wind up the summon, but if you do it right you can actually juggle them with the last umbrella swing before the summoning animation kicks in, leaving them completely unable to act before the beetle appears right on-top of them :3

Twilight Princess DLC character is sort of a mystery. Ilia? Renaldo? Final Form Midna? Maybe the Yetis?

How about something more bizarre though.

MALO PILOTING THE MAGIC ARMOR.

Think Baby Commando from Captain Commando.

jhU6930.jpg

Except its THE HERO OF SAVINGS MALO...
suhSNTG.jpg

Piloting this...
kO0PBOE.jpg

I want Final Form Midna, Ilia and a bunch of others too, but I gotta say after joking about this that I wouldn't be disappointed to have something as ridiculous as Malo piloting the Magic Armor as the Twilight Princess rep. Koei would go nuts making the moveset as over the top as possible. He could use Bomb Arrows and the Hawkeye he sold. The Double Clawshot for a tornado grab, Throw Kakariko Wooden shields around and just other general mayhem like using lamp oil and lamps to create fire traps.

Silly idea, but I thought I'd share for the hilarity of it.

Haha that's pretty good. One of the prerelease builds of the game showed Midna having two weapons, so I suspect the weapon will be true form Midna

Now as to the new character its hard to say. I would love Ilia to be a character but I'm not sure what her moveset would be. I wonder who's going to be getting the new costumes as well.

NeonZ

Now as to the new character its hard to say. I would love Ilia to be a character but I'm not sure what her moveset would be. I wonder who's going to be getting the new costumes as well.

I think we're getting Hero's Shade as either a character or costume. He's quite big and well known, and, if he isn't chosen as a character, it seems like he still could fit as a Link costume (well, some animations would be odd, but that's already true for Dark Link).

Golnei

I think we're getting Hero's Shade as either a character or costume. He's quite big and well known, and, if he isn't chosen as a character, it seems like he still could fit as a Link costume (well, some animations would be odd, but that's already true for Dark Link).

I'd prefer it as a costume. And while some things would look a little odd, especially in cutscenes, it'd be worth it to see them do Epona's victory animation.

Nia

I would personally like Ashei to be playable. Since her weapon wouldn't be too different from Zelda's, and the Arrows are already weapons, she could incorporate the Yetis if they wanted to make her unique. With only one character in the DLC though, I expect it will be the Hero's Shade.

NeonZ

As far as Ashei goes, I think she still could get an actual bow focused moveset with a couple of sword slahses. Link with Epona uses a bow for one of his moves, so they've already shown that it's possible to include bows in movesets in spite of the bow item. She also could borrow Auru's Bazooka/bomb launcher. I'll be surprised though if any of the DLC characters are minor NPCs like her.

Golnei

With 2 costumes, 1 weapon and a character, I'd hope for, assuming they all keep the TP theme:

Costume (Hero's Shade ~ Link)
Costume (Mourning Robe ~ Zelda)
Weapon (Hairpin ~ Midna)
Character (Yeta / Blizzeta)

If the accompanying Adventure Map also has a new set of palette swaps, we might also get a Darbus skin for Darmani, Rutela for Ruto, Puppet Zelda and Dying Midna.

ChuyMasta

Any tips for Ganon's tower on hard difficulty? I am trying to get Darunia's skulltulla and it's freaking hard.

I am a level 30 with a hammer on 120 strenght. Badge: Strength II.

What do I need to make this feasible? I keep dying and my allies are not putting up a fight against the enemies so I can't get the skulltulla to spawn =/

Blues1990

Any tips for Ganon's tower on hard difficulty? I am trying to get Darunia's skulltulla and it's freaking hard.

I am a level 30 with a hammer on 120 strenght. Badge: Strength II.

What do I need to make this feasible? I keep dying and my allies are not putting up a fight against the enemies so I can't get the skulltulla to spawn =/

Along with just focusing on the goals, it's best that you go and obtain Darunia's level 2 weapon (from Adventure Mode) to make things easier for you. Also, make sure that you level up the ol' lug to level 50, at least.

ChuyMasta

Along with just focusing on the goals, it's best that you go and obtain Darunia's level 2 weapon (from Adventure Mode) to make things easier for you. Also, make sure that you level up the ol' lug to level 50, at least.

I see. Alright. I'll start Adventure mode. I haven't even touched it. I figured I could clear everything in legend mode but the difficulty spike after finishing it once was too much.
Thanks!

llehuty

I see. Alright. I'll start Adventure mode. I haven't even touched it. I figured I could clear everything in legend mode but the difficulty spike after finishing it once was too much.
Thanks!

I just keep jumping from one mode to the other when I find some difficulty spikes. Also, spend rupees in leveling up if you are struggling.

Sagitario

Woot! Thanks for the tip.
Do you know if there are any more tricks against other enemies? Shield Moblins, Gibdos, and ReDeads take way too much time.
Now that I think about it, I have never seen Zant's weak gauge/bar.

CBTech

Do you know if there are any more tricks against other enemies? Shield Moblins, Gibdos, and ReDeads take way too much time.

For Zant guard against his special attacks and he will wear himself out causing the weakness bar appear.

Don't know any tricks with the others.

Kinsei

Banned

Shield Moblins: They'll belly flop or do the spin once they block enough of your attacks. If they spin, hit them with a bomb as they're charging up.

Gibdo/Redead: Sheik and Cia are immune to their screams. For Sheik use her water shield (C2 then C1) and for Cia use her C1.

shaowebb

Shield Moblins: They'll belly flop or do the spin once they block enough of your attacks. If they spin, hit them with a bomb as they're charging up.

Gibdo/Redead: Sheik and Cia are immune to their screams. For Sheik use her water shield (C2 then C1) and for Cia use her C1.

Soooooooo gonna use these. Thanks for this! Any other weakpoint tips and counterpick tricks?

Top Bottom