• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

I would really like to see videos of anyone actually pulling these things off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPCBFVm1vf4

He also has videos of him getting all the other Level 3 weapons with A Rank. Really helpful with learning how to optimally play some of the characters, imo.

I'm four weapons away from getting all the Level 3 weapons on the first map and the hardest ones for me so far were Link's Gauntlets and Ruto's for a lot of the same reasons you're having and I think it was because I was trying them way too early and not using optimal combos. I've found getting your characters to level 60 is a safe level to comfortably do them.

SomecallmeJohnny uploaded a review.
I think I am going to wait for a B2G1 to get it. I figured it is pretty much junk food of video games.

I'm always baffled when I see these videos and it's inevitably footage of people kicking heck out of a pile of mooks in some random lane somewhere. Who has time to waste on the peons outside of the KO missions? While your army can't handle named/energy bar mobs, they're more than capable of holding off the no-namers so unless you need them for the KO count or you're clearing them from a keep to capture it then there's no particularly good reason to waste your time swinging at them outside of carthasis or testing new combos you've just unlocked :p

CBTech

I'm always baffled when I see these videos and it's inevitably footage of people kicking heck out of a pile of mooks in some random lane somewhere. Who has time to waste on the peons outside of the KO missions? While your army can't handle named/energy bar mobs, they're more than capable of holding off the no-namers so unless you need them for the KO count or you're clearing them from a keep to capture it then there's no particularly good reason to waste your time swinging at them outside of carthasis or testing new combos you've just unlocked :p

Yeah, I'm really glad someone told me to not bother with mobs before I got this game. Without that advice I would have probably wasted a lot of my time and thought less of the game for it.

Yeah, I'm really glad someone told me to not bother with mobs before I got this game. Without that advice I would have probably wasted a lot of my time and thought less of the game for it.

Yeah, I always feel more like an assassin or cleaner than a one-person army in Hyrule warriors. It's all about 'removing' key personnel or wiping key locations clean. I probably spend most of the game's time running through crowds of enemies, ignoring them, to key locations, only slowing to decapitate or wound any named enemies I run into along the way :p

It doesn't feel very 'simple' or 'junk food'-y when you have 3 things you need to rescue at the same time and inevitably have to choose which battlefronts to win or lose. It's like hyrule plate spinners: the game! :p

georly

I do it for fun, or when I know that I can quickly wipe them out (for exp/ko count for skulltulas). But most of the time, red dots and keeps!

I'm still surprised at how much i'm playing this game. I know I told myself I was going to 100% it, but I had no idea that it would take this long. And now that I know how long it takes, i'm surprised I haven't quit yet. So much to do ;_;. I've gotta be at 150 hours now.

I do it for fun, or when I know that I can quickly wipe them out (for exp/ko count for skulltulas). But most of the time, red dots and keeps!
If I had to guess why videos do that is to show off the combat a bit.
I know people really do not play it like that.
Also, I think he meant "junk food" as in you will enjoy it plenty at the start, but you may get sick of it quickly. Much like chocolate IMO. Some people disagree and never got tired of the combat. Mostly it came out way too late for me to buy it at full price (early September was most ideal time).

Also, I think he meant "junk food" as in you will enjoy it plenty at the start, but you may get sick of it quickly. Much like chocolate IMO. Some people disagree and never got tired of the combat. Mostly it came out way too late for me to buy it at full price (early September was most ideal time).

Maybe but I feel it's a terrible representation of the game. I know several people who would've described Hyrule Warriors the same way that review did before playing it. Now that I've let them have a go at the game (co-op of course, it's fun to get some help on the nastier quests ;D ) most of them have discovered that it's quite different from what they expected and several have even bought the game since and are still enjoying it.

I know he's probably just trying to be funny but when he says stuff like "the terms strength in numbers never means anything to these guys" it's hard not to think that he probably hasn't experienced the sheer horror that is some of the many weapon unlock quests where the game is more than happy to dump whole trains of buffed up captains on your lap or send huge waves of forces steam-rolling towards your home base :p

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is there a trick for killing the Aeralfos quickly, other then wait for their weak points? They always seem to be really tanky.

Is there a trick for killing the Aeralfos quickly, other then wait for their weak points? They always seem to be really tanky.
If they're flying you can hookshot them for an instant weakpoint :3
Note that they specifically have to be in the air: hovering a few inches above the ground doesn't seem to count :p

Ninjimbo

So I just got the Summon Gate weapon for Lana and as I sat there watching her dance to summon a junior Dodongo to roll on a pile of grunts I thought to myself: "Lana is the best new character of the year."

I'd play a spinoff game.

Force them to block twice in a row by spamming your normal combo on them, and they'll hop up into the air, at which point you can hookshot them (non-fiery ONLY) or wait for them to do one of their three aerial attacks, all of which reveal their weakpoint.

kiryogi

Banned
I'm 36 with her and she is weak as fuck. Her slowness with the staff is also ridiculous. Dodge a lizard so you don't take damage, oh her dodge is very short-range and has a lengthy pause at the end so you get hit by a different lizard or Ghirahim. There goes the A. Actually in the middle of jugging a character and they somehow snap out of it and slash you while you're still in animation? There goes your A. Nail a commander on their weakness meter? Okay we'll take off like 1/8 of their life. Have fun with that time limit.

To be realistic, you might need to level her up a bit more. Ultimately, I cleared it with her around LV42. This goes to all the LV3 challenges or more difficult challenges really that you'll want the char to be at least around lvl 45-50 minimum, again, not lv99 necessity however.
Yeah, except for because of the time management you have to keep restarting until the cucco guiding is on your way, but you don't know where they will spawn until after taking first keep when you're in the middle of a fight with 5 lizards and Sheik, and the "good spot" for the cucco chick to show up is right next to Ghirahim with 3-5 more lizards and 2-4 skeleton captains. Annoying.

Well for my approach, I actually liked it best when the Cucco Child spawned in the town hall, so I'd take the town hall, thus limiting a possible out of way location for Mandhala spawns, but I believe there's a chest there as well. Yes, there is some RNG involved for best spawns, but regardless of where spawns here, it's possible to adapt and adjust accordingly.

You don't need to resolve that at all. By time you beat 3 commanders if you don't have like 1400 kills I don't know what map you're playing on. The lizards and their hordes are absolutely ridiculous. If you just want to avoid the bombing, get to running then hold block and it doesn't touch you, and it doesn't fall inside keeps so no prob during the Midna fight. What is a problem is her taking 5 minutes to kill because she appears to be made out of iron.

Same map no doubt, kills are not an issue. It was time and damage. Oddly enough I could never seem to block the bombings, so for me that was a key issue.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Is there a preferred fast killing move for Ghirahim?
I seem to have trouble with his A ranks with kill X amount of enemies because of time, especially on the Skyward Sword stage.

Maybe I should just level him up at the dojo.

I seem to have trouble with his A ranks with kill X amount of enemies because of time, especially on the Skyward Sword stage.

Big groups? Use C5. Single-target enemies, use C3 or C4 when locked on. For giant bosses that take a few seconds to fall down, a locked-on C4(YYYXX, don't summon moblins, try to get the two strong hits to hit right when the weak point pops up) followed by C3 followed by an extra sword swipe or two can break a weakpoint in one go, with maxed Weakpoint badges.

Dreavus

His "kill 700" was very tough for me. A good combo for clearing out big groups for me was probably C4, using only his fiery projectile. It goes very far for a ranged attack and can cut very far into a large mob of soldiers. And as mentioned C5 is great too.

If it's the stage I'm thinking of try and evade the Ghoma's even though they'll chase you around. Even with a pretty good level and a lvl 3 weapon, I cut it very close on time when I finally A ranked it (and that was without spending time taking down a Ghoma).

EDIT: They should put a 50/100 kill bounty on bosses or something, at least make them slightly worth fighting in those types of stages

Kinsei

Banned
Hooray!

zlCfzSk1VMcY0hdNb3

You must not have seen DSP play DW7. There really are people that try and kill every random mook in the game.

El Odio

Banned
Hooray!

You must not have seen DSP play DW7. There really are people that try and kill every random mook in the game.
I'm guilty of doing this... quite a bit... Though mainly in story mode when I'm going for the second skulltula on stages after A ranking it.

Believe it or not, what ended up working for me was the regular Y string. Those darts that he throws can take out quite a lot of mooks in that particular stage. Just dodge cancel out of the string before he starts doing the disappearing part. It keeps you mobile (very necessary to stay ahead of those Gohma) and take out a lot of mooks at once. I was able to do that level very easily with that strategy.

Fandangox

Agitha's piexe of heart in the 1000 kos in 10 minutes is the ONLY thing that I havent gotten in the first adventure map, she is already level 60 and still can't do it, how.did you guys do this one?

Kinsei

Banned
Agitha's piexe of heart in the 1000 kos in 10 minutes is the ONLY thing that I havent gotten in the first adventure map, she is already level 60 and still can't do it, how.did you guys do this one?

I spammed C5 with her. Level 60 is high enough for you to do it, since that's the level I was when I started my successful attempt.

The last page is filled with my glorious struggle for that one. I spammed C3 constantly, used the Bomb upgrade when I got it, Special for close groups of mooks, was on the lookout for when new groups spawned, and got lucky with the Imprisoned.

EDIT: Oh, and I used the Magic mode or whatever whenever it appeared. Even if I failed to kill a lot with it, when it ends it wiped out everything in the area.

Does anyone in the UK / EU have a Demon King Costume Set download key spare? Super annoyed I missed out on this 'cause I forgot to register my game.
Or the Ocarina of Time Costume Set?
I couldn't get the limited edition from Nintendo by the time they announced that either.

Somewhat more on topic, I've been loving this game so far. Only level I've had trouble with was the second battle for Hyrule Castle.

Fandangox

I spammed C5 with her. Level 60 is high enough for you to do it, since that's the level I was when I started my successful attempt.

C5 works well at the beginning, but the more time passes the more the enemies get spread out and the less effective her C5's range becomes.

StAidan

Just an update to my level 3 Deku Spear saga, I was finally able to finish the mission after a total of 5 attempts. My Lana was level 44 with a 4-star Kokiri Spear, 210 damage rating.

I actually wasn't sure I'd make the time requirement on my final run, as I had to stop fighting Midna to help Darunia at the Allied Base. I finished off 4 Lizalfos that had gathered there, and then as I entered Midna's keep got another message about Darunia needing urgent assistance, even though there was nothing in my base except a handful of enemy grunts.

I decided to risk losing the base and managed to finish off Midna before losing it. Whew!

Vorpal

I'm guilty of doing this... quite a bit... Though mainly in story mode when I'm going for the second skulltula on stages after A ranking it.

Same here. I have to make a serious effort to ignore straggler red circles in order to chase down a commander, even when I'm just trying to get a candle in Adventure mode or something. What can I say! Going around and killing every last enemy fills me with a deep sense of satisfaction
and a deeper sense of self-loathing.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Got lvl2 Darunia, Fi, Ghirahim and Ruto weapons. Feeling pretty accomplished for the night. Fi's was hard. Ruto is surprisingly badass, just requires a different approach. Ghirahim is pretty cool but he's another character where you have to be very selective about when and where to do what moves or else end up fighting their animations.

dlc map 100%ed ! all S/A ranks, all weapons, all skultulas, all costumes, and all heart containers! just in time for bayo 2 ! lol

If anyone needs any advice for particular missions, i can help out.

dlc map wasn't as hard as the original map to 100%, probably due to the characters starting at a higher level and the new characters having somewhat overpowered movesets (volga's and cia's C2 say hi)

Most missions i got in 2-3 tries. The only ones that gave me somewhat trouble are the ones where the enemies would take out your base fast, before you can complete the mission. On those ones, keeping morale high is the key, and figuring out what to do to keep it high was the tricky part.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If you're farming mats, this could be helpful.

I wonder if Bayonetta will break the spell this game cast on me. It's actually making me want to get Skyward Sword, but then I'd need to get a Wii controller combo, too. I watched some videos of it on youtube and it seems... extra romantic? Not that I'm complaining!

llehuty

I caved in and started spending rupees leveling up. I feel dirty about it, but the game is challenging enough as it is.

I wonder if Bayonetta will break the spell this game cast on me. It's actually making me want to get Skyward Sword, but then I'd need to get a Wii controller combo, too. I watched some videos of it on youtube and it seems... extra romantic? Not that I'm complaining!

GET IT.
If you are open minded to motion controls

It has its flaws, but it is a very worthwhile experience in general. Top notch combat and dungeons IMO.

Just got the game and got to Skyloft in Adventure Mode, forcing me to play Link instead of Sheik (oh well). Is the magic meter supposed to fill up sooo slowly? I feel like it filled up much faster in the One Piece Dynasty Warriors game.

Completely different mechanics. In OP it fills up over time. You practically need to use it to defeat certain bosses. You can use it many, many times in one single game. Here, it's more intended to be used against hordes of enemies. It does not fill up over time, rather it is harder to obtain. You may only use it once or twice per battle.

TheMoon

I caved in and started spending rupees leveling up. I feel dirty about it, but the game is challenging enough as it is.

You're supposed to do that. You're not meant to level everyone up manually, that's complete insanity. Rupees have no other point than leveling up your chars.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I don't mean for this to be a slight at all, but this looks like a really great "podcast" game. I have a ton of archived premium GiantBomb videos to get through and this looks like the perfect game to play while I go through 'em.

Makonero

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I don't mean for this to be a slight at all, but this looks like a really great "podcast" game. I have a ton of archived premium GiantBomb videos to get through and this looks like the perfect game to play while I go through 'em.

If you play on hard, you might be too distracted. I usually put a tv show on in the background, but no way can I focus on the mission at hand and something else at the same time. Especially in the harder levels of adventure mode.

But to each their own...

TheMoon

If you play on hard, you might be too distracted. I usually put a tv show on in the background, but no way can I focus on the mission at hand and something else at the same time. Especially in the harder levels of adventure mode.

But to each their own...

Yea, the "mindless fun" thing is definitely being oversold. When someone says you zone out with this that means you actually zone IN on this game and everything else fades away. There is so much going on at all times that it can be tough to keep track of other things outside the game and also contributes to people losing track of time with this game. This fast paced, high-tension action game is not really an ideal podcast game. Unless you play on easy of course but then way play at all.

Makonero

Yea, the "mindless fun" thing is definitely being oversold. When someone says you zone out with this that means you actually zone IN on this game and everything else fades away. There is so much going on at all times that it can be tough to keep track of other things outside the game and also contributes to people losing track of time with this game. This fast paced, high-tension action game is not really an ideal podcast game. Unless you play on easy of course but then way play at all.

Hahaha to mine skulltullas! Well, that's at least the reason I've played on easy a few times.

I definitely get to the point of shaking at the end of missions sometimes, when there's a King Dodongo rolling towards my base and Zelda has half her hitpoints left, it gets kind of stressful! Definitely not a "relaxing" "mindless" game at all. Managing the battlefield, making decisions on where to go and what to do, trying to avoid artillery strikes and seeds...it all adds up and is very rewarding when you complete the challenge.

explodet

There's stuff you can do in the game without having to concentrate too hard, gathering items on the adventure map can be done is one of them. Most of it is tedium, though; like grinding for badge materials or XP, and unlocking weapon skills.

Just don't expect to A rank certain missions while distracted, like Agitha's lvl3 weapon (from what I've heard).

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm not sure what's KO are, is it one hit to kill?

There is a Special Skill called One Hit Kill which kills any mook unit in one hit which is very useful for Hero mode.

KO skills give bonuses like powering up an item or replensihing special meter or health after every 300 KOs.

Zarovitch

There is a Special Skill called One Hit Kill which kills any mook unit in one hit which is very useful for Hero mode.

KO skills give bonuses like powering up an item or replensihing special meter or health after every 300 KOs.

Ok, but i don't have this skill, but i make KO in every mission and to get A score i need to make a good amount of KO, so whats this KO mean.

Is eveytime i make a one hit kill it gave me a KO?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Ok, but i don't have this skill, but i make KO in every mission and to get A score i need to make a good amount of KO, so whats this KO mean.

Oh KO count in missions.

You have to KO/kill 1200 enemies for A rank.

NeonZ

Every grunt enemy, giant monster or officer you beat is a "KO (knockout)" . You obviously get a large number of KOs by defeating the grunt enemies, since there are so many and they're spread around but everything else counts too. You need 1200 KOs in most missions that have a full battlefield for an A Ranking.

Kinsei

Banned

Master Quest complete! I also A ranked the new rewards map. I wish they added 8-bit Cia, Volga, and Wizzro to the congratulations screen.

For Zelda's level 2 Baton, you don't have to actually use the baton do you? You only need to A Rank it right?

You don't have to use the baton for it, just get an A rank.

JoeM86

Master Quest complete! I also A ranked the new rewards map. I wish they added 8-bit Cia, Volga, and Wizzro to the congratulations screen.

Nicely done. I keep getting frustrated due to underleveled characters and having to grind to get rupees to level them up. Any tips?

Shun

Oh alright, thanks.

I'm having trouble baiting out Volga's Weak Point. Is there an easy sure fire way to do it?

I usually just say fuck it and juggle them to death but I can't risk it considering I have to do this with Zelda.

Like I'm guarding and attacking when I can but the only times the weak points show up are when he turns into a dragon, which is quite infrequent.

Vorpal

I'm having trouble baiting out Volga's Weak Point. Is there an easy sure fire way to do it?

My strategy for Volga is to mash Y attacks while he guards--usually after 3 or 4 hits, he'll hop up, shove his spear into the ground, and reveal a weak point. If you can get used to recognizing when he's going to do that hop (he'll stop guarding and briefly hoist the spear), you can reliably dodge left or right and bust up his weak point.

Top Bottom