• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

I'm slowly making my way through Legend Mode, and some of the first Adventure Mode map.

I really like the music in the Skyloft stage and the Temple of the Sacred Sword stage.

The Skyloft song is really good imo. It mixes the Skyward Sword Theme with the Skyloft theme. The SS part is definitely the better part; would have preferred if they left out the Skyloft part to be honest. House, Silent Guardians, Hammer of Stones and Eclipse of the Sun are also pretty epic songs.

daydream

Banned
Ooph, the enemies in Hero difficulty are the spongiest sponges. Might skip that "difficulty" level entirely and just get the Skulltullas on Hard (which, I've beaten most levels on Hard already but whatever).

Anything I'd be missing out on by not doing Hero? I'm guessing there's a medal attached to that.

Richie

He has all his badges. The map i'm currently focused on doesn't have any elemental advantage. I have noticed he takes slightly less damage now being at 150 but there's a lot of potential hazards in this stage. I almost got the A rank just now but Mandhandla's unpredictability at the end chewed up like 6 hearts (had already lost 7 1/2) with one hit.

Leveling up is easy in Master Quest. Just look for "Rak up your KO count" stages and go to town. The higher the lvl of the stage better. Also, if you have a weapon with EXP+ you can easily get 4 levels in one go. There's a lvl 11 stage on the upper-right side of the map. That's where i got Link to lvl 150.

Man, I suck at replying in time. Thanks a lot for the tips! On Master Quest now and the upper right of the map, hmm, it's not -exactly- in the upper right, I take? I unlocked the very corner of the map and found no KO Count mission so far (I may be missing it by one square or what). Gonna keep at it!

10407928_894831830540745_910831942975381867_n.jpg

I'm ignoring Smash, Bayonetta and Xenoblade on the Wii for this game. But damned if it isn't the most addicted I've been to a videogame for a damn long time.

NeonZ

Ooph, the enemies in Hero difficulty are the spongiest sponges. Might skip that "difficulty" level entirely and just get the Skulltullas on Hard (which, I've beaten most levels on Hard already but whatever).

Have you finished the Adventure map already? Hero seemed to be pretty much designed for completely maxed characters with level 3 weapons, which is why the enemies are sponges.

daydream

Banned
Have you finished the Adventure map already? Hero seemed to be pretty much designed for completely maxed characters with level 3 weapons, which is why the enemies are sponges.

Yeah, that's what I thought, haha. Haven't touched any of the other modes, yet. Hero difficulty will be something I might return to after I maxed my guys.

bobohoro

Twilight map is sucking the fun out of Hyrule Warriors for me. Enemies hit like trucks, even grunts can mess up your A-Rank with one hit. Generals are sponges, especially if you don't have the right element or aren't somewhere around Lv80+. They even managed to make the Rack up your KO count missions unfun, since most of the big monsters need 2-4 WPS now and suck up most of the 10 minute time limit.

I guess it's a challenge, but one that relies on extreme patience, extreme grinding or extreme luck. And honestly, that's not what I play musou games for. I want to actually feel like a badass when I'm around Lv100, have the best weapon and plow through the field. I don't want to cover in fear of Dinos or Poes, or be annoyed because another boosted Shield Moblin needs to die and takes 3 freaking minutes to beat. My characters actually feel like they regressed when I made the jump to the new DLC.

Right now it's just not very attractive to play, at least the new map isn't. I could grind out some special abilities like defenseless, compatriot or legendary, but the stupid skill system makes this rather cumbersome and I'd need to do it for quite a few characters. I could grind some exp/rupees, but the amount needed to get everyone up to speed is staggering. I could grind some badges, but honestly, I have more than 100 hours in the game and still am nowhere near completing even one character, so that would take ridiculous amounts of time as well.

It feels like I abruptly hit a brick wall with the game. Until now I never even once thought it was tedious, or unfun, but the new map really brings out all the underlying frustrations that I had with the balance of the game and some of its systems. And then multiplies this by approximately 5,78.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
(I posted this in the other HW thread as well)

So, I decided to see if changing the date/time on the wii u would let me scan in my amiibos more frequently (that works, btw), but after probably over a hundred scans, I've noticed something that I'm not sure is consistent with other people. For some reason, the ONLY weapon unlocks I get now are Spinners. I get them from all of my amiibos, not just link. I do, however, get different items as well, like rupees and various materials. But I don't get any other weapons aside from Spinners. So, no spears or swords or whatever else for any other characters.

Is this consistent for anyone else? I'd really like to know if amiibos are designed to only give you spinner weapons over time.

I'm wondering how the hell do amiibos work? Can I get anyone I want or do only certain ones work with certain games? I want Pikachu but this is the only game I have that uses them, unless mario kart does..

Twilight map is sucking the fun out of Hyrule Warriors for me. Enemies hit like trucks, even grunts can mess up your A-Rank with one hit.

Pretty much this for me. A lot of the time when I'm playing these maps there's a moment where I just say "welp, not getting that heart piece." But really, it doesn't even seem to matter anymore because the heart piece won't even be useful anywhere on this map.

Think I'll just...survive on this map. Ditching A-ranks starting now lol. And I guess that eliminates the second skulltulas on whichever maps are applicable too.

Maybe I read something completely wrong, but I thought I read somewhere recently that the preorder DLC costumes were going to be available for purchase earlier this month, and I still haven't seen anything for them. I've been wanting some of those costumes since the game came out.

If there's one thing I have disliked about this game is that stupid retailer exclusive DLC bull shit. I should have gotten them all since I purchased the game on the eshop at midnight. Really discouraging that they don't even reward their loyal fans who give them all my money by purchasing directly off eshop, and then they bend over backward for retailers.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Is there any way to get rid of Network Links without playing the mission? I'm trying to get Gold Skulltulas right now, but there's a Network Link on one of the missions that has them.

Shun

Does the glitch still work and could someone repost a link if it does.

I need mailman Link to dance with the Summoning Gate.

NeonZ

Maybe I read something completely wrong, but I thought I read somewhere recently that the preorder DLC costumes were going to be available for purchase earlier this month, and I still haven't seen anything for them. I've been wanting some of those costumes since the game came out.

According to the Japanese site, they'll be made available on the 18th.

https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/zelda/update_1218.html

No announcement yet regarding the date outside of Japan, but generally we've gotten the DLC in the same date as them, aside from Master Quest, which had an unofficial release before the actually advertised date.

Kouriozan

Uh oh, there is a medal "get 100 amiibo gifts", if I knew it earlier I would have done that everyday.
Sitting at 7 currently, with 2 amiibos.

Kyari

(I posted this in the other HW thread as well)

So, I decided to see if changing the date/time on the wii u would let me scan in my amiibos more frequently (that works, btw), but after probably over a hundred scans, I've noticed something that I'm not sure is consistent with other people. For some reason, the ONLY weapon unlocks I get now are Spinners. I get them from all of my amiibos, not just link. I do, however, get different items as well, like rupees and various materials. But I don't get any other weapons aside from Spinners. So, no spears or swords or whatever else for any other characters.

Is this consistent for anyone else? I'd really like to know if amiibos are designed to only give you spinner weapons over time.

All I ever get are spinners and eponas :(

bobohoro

Uh oh, there is a medal "get 100 amiibo gifts", if I knew it earlier I would have done that everyday.
Sitting at 7 currently, with 2 amiibos.

Well you got time. Other than completition, the medals don't do much, and to get them all will take several houndreds of hours. Personally I'm still only at ~140 allies saved, I don't think I will ever get that one done.

Marvie_3

Banned
Well you got time. Other than completition, the medals don't do much, and to get them all will take several houndreds of hours. Personally I'm still only at ~140 allies saved, I don't think I will ever get that one done.
I've been going out of my way a little more to save allies in an attempt to get that one. Normally, goron captain #6 is not a high priority but I'll hustle over if I have a chance to save him now.

Kouriozan

About the same for me, 188 or so.
But yeah, I plan to 100% this game, someday....

Nohar

Hmm, does the Master Quest map give free "friend" bonuses? I got a lot of those while playing on it, except that absolutly no friend of mine was playing Hyrule Warriors. I'm not complaining (especially when each bonus gives no less than 500 000 rupies - no, I did not add an extra 0 by mistake), but I wasn't expecting that.

Also, there is a typo in the OP: Midona's game is called "Twilight Priness".

Kouriozan

Hmm, does the Master Quest map give free "friend" bonuses? I got a lot of those while playing on it, except that absolutly no friend of mine was playing Hyrule Warriors. I'm not complaining (especially when each bonus gives no less than 500 000 rupies - no, I did not add an extra 0 by mistake), but I wasn't expecting that.

Also, there is a typo in the OP: Midona's game is called "Twilight Priness".
Got one as well yesterday in that map, my first bonus ever too.
It was 50k rupees + exp bonus.

Nohar

On the Master Quest one? Because my bonuses were 500k rupies on that one (whereas I got 50k on the Normal one). I also got the exp bonus.
I'm still very confused... I got those bonuses 4 times in a row, despite not a single friend of mine playing HW. There was one guy (from NeoGAF I believe) who was playing Smash, but that's it. I can't get "friend" bonuses from strangers (people not on my friendlist) who complete my "Link" challenges, can I?

NeonZ

I can't get "friend" bonuses from strangers (people not on my friendlist) who complete my "Link" challenges, can I?

No, you can't. I haven't gotten a single "friend bonus" in spite of finishing all of the original and Master Quest maps, and I have no friends registered in my Wii U. So, it's definitely not automatic. Someone in your friend list likely is playing the game.

Kouriozan

On the Master Quest one? Because my bonuses were 500k rupies on that one (whereas I got 50k on the Normal one). I also got the exp bonus.
Yep, on Master Quest.
I added a few people playing this game 2/3 months ago, don't know if they are still playing it.

bobohoro

I'm still very confused... I got those bonuses 4 times in a row, despite not a single friend of mine playing HW. There was one guy (from NeoGAF I believe) who was playing Smash, but that's it. I can't get "friend" bonuses from strangers (people not on my friendlist) who complete my "Link" challenges, can I?

500k? Oh wow, should probably connect online again, haven't been doing Network Links lately since most of 'em were high level and not worth the effort.

Making some way into the Twilight map, not caring for A-Ranks anymore makes it somewhat more enjoyable, although some maps are still totally unfair. The one with Ganondorf fighting three Dark Girahims is ridiculous, the Lizards in the beginning can kill me in three hits and their tailspin and general unsafeness of Ganondorf is no fun.

Some really helpful advice found on gamefaqs by the user GraphyteR:

Know your enemy

Ever wondered what the colored squares are when you first start playing the Adventure maps? You can look at it as a rough guide for how much damage you give or take in a certain map, which gives a good approximation of the difficulty.

These guides by LagunaLevine have the maps in question while the colored squares are still present:

Adventure http://www.junkiesnation.com/2014/09/26/hyrule-warriors-adventure-mode-map-guide/
Master Quest http://www.junkiesnation.com/2014/10/27/hyrule-warriors-master-quest-adventure-guide/
TP http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/11/hyrule-warriors-dlc-twilight-adventure-mode-map-guide/

In order from easiest to hardest, the order is:
Green < Yellow < Purple < Orange < Blue < Red

Here's my assessment for Twilight Map colors, since TP is notorious for having really scaled-up enemy stats:
Green and Yellow: Easy!
Purple: Moderate, if you've gone through most of the first Adventure you can handle it.
Orange: The enemies start doing a lot of damage for the 10-heart requirement, and some of these have tricky Damage Taken requirements. At least the enemies aren't too tanky, so you shouldn't run into problems finishing in time... unless you have to kill The Imprisoned, which does show up in a couple of them.
Blue: Some of the worst missions are here. The damage taken is very high for the 10-heart requirement, and Gold Aura commanders can really stall out your ability to complete the map in time.
Red: Actually, at 25 hearts the Damage Taken Requirement is pretty reasonable... except for the maps where half the enemies are glowing red/yellow. You can expect really tanky enemies here, too. While most maps seem to be possible below Level 100 and not using power-up potions, I'm not sure if that holds true for Ganondorf's red tile missions.

So yeah, if you want to know what to expect for damage, or you just want to avoid the bizarre side of the Twilight map, those color-coded maps help.

Nohar

Please note that the 500k bonus was from when a friend helped me by clearing my "Link" on his map. When I tried to clear some "Link" challenges on the Master Quest map, I only got the usual 50k.
Also, thank you very much for that very useful information regarding the difficulty of the maps bobohoro!

Making some way into the Twilight map, not caring for A-Ranks anymore makes it somewhat more enjoyable, although some maps are still totally unfair. The one with Ganondorf fighting three Dark Girahims is ridiculous, the Lizards in the beginning can kill me in three hits and their tailspin and general unsafeness of Ganondorf is no fun.

Some really helpful advice found on gamefaqs by the user GraphyteR:

I feel you on that Ganondorf map. That just became a cycle of beating up the supply captains or whatever and spamming SP moves when everyone was lined up. Also having a player 2 using a completely different character works wonders too lol.

bobohoro

Another day, another part of Twilight: Breaking Down.

On the map way up north where you use Link with the power gloves, I got through the challenge just fine, Lv105 helps. Killed every officer, 1800 KOs, two gold drops and just Cia to go, who has only 1/8 health left. Summoner summons Cucoos! How bad can it be? I rush down Cia, start the final C3 and in an instant several cucoos - 4 with health bars - surround me and easily three-shot me. From 20+ hearts.

I...uh...I'm gonna play some Smash.

After playing awhile what would you say the top 5 movesets and bottom 5movesets are?

Top 5

Bottom 5

Top 5

Link with sword> Link with Gauntlets> Ruto > Zelda with Dominion Rod > Tie between Impa with Naginata and Twili Midna

Bottom 5

Now I haven't unlocked everyone and everything yet but so far I really don't care for Agitha. I don't think Fi is all that great either.

Speaking of Agitha though, I just unlocked her. Any tips with her moveset that might make her more fun to play?

bobohoro

Aigtha's BnB is her C3 dodge cancel. Start the summoning animation and immediatly hit dodge to cut it short and still get the beetle drop. Great for generals, weak points and all around utility. C4 and C5 are more for crowds and combo into her C1 butterfly ride. Her weak point smash is actually pretty amazing, so go for it often.
From what I read online Agitha got some buffs with the latest patch. From what I played, some of her attacks seem to have more range, especially her C5, the beetle, seems to hit more. Overall butterfly performance also seems improved. She is still in my bottom 5 though.

Top 5:
Link (Master Sword): Evil's Bane and beams make it strong and safe.
Volga: All around strong, fast and safe.
Midna: C3 all day.
Sheik: Water shield alone makes her top-tier, although the highened damage on the Twilight map seem to break right through it. Still has one of the best specials and can manually recharge it.
Ghirahim: C1 cancelling and additional combo hits are great.

Haven't had enough time with Twili Midna and Dominion Rod Zelda yet, both of which easily seem top tier.

Bottom 5:
Zant: Bad moveset, worse gimmick, sad because he's awesome
Agitha: She's workable, but still underpowered
Zelda (Baton): C1 is good, but I still can't quite do well with her and the wind waker
Ganondorf: Yeah, few great moves, even fewer that are also safe
Lana (Spear): Her weak string is good but takes too much time, everything else is pretty meh. At least her special was fixed and can now actually hit something.

Sagitario

Wait... if a friend helps you while playing in the Master Quest map, you receive 500,000 rupees?
No one has ever helped me T_T
Also, Network Links appear only once per day? Is it limited to only 5 Links?

Sheik is easily the best character for most challenges. She's the best with one-on-one battles. Then there's Link with several of his movesets, in particular sword and gauntlets iirc. Only played a little of Twili Midna but seems amazing. Played too little of Volga too but I think he's pretty top-tier. Impa with both of her movesets are awesome too.

Agitha is bottom tier for me. Been a while since I played but most others are fine. I'd put Fi, Darunia, Ghirahim and Zant as the other bottom four, but they're alright. Zant is fun to mess around with.

Nohar

Wait... if a friend helps you while playing in the Master Quest map, you receive 500,000 rupees?
No one has ever helped me T_T
Also, Network Links appear only once per day? Is it limited to only 5 Links?

It indeed works like that yes, though the specifics are not very well documented (as far as I know anyway). Though it seems that I am the only one here who got the insane 500k rupees bonus on Master Quest map. Since it has been a while since the last time I played the game, and since no friend of mine was actually playing it when I got the bonuses (4 times in a row, each time after I did a battle), I'm beginning to wonder if the game "remembered" the number of time someone cleared my "Links" on their maps while I wasn't playing it, and that I got several bonuses in one go (with the bonuses cumulating to the maxed 500k). Once again, I'm really confused and not sure about why and how I got those insanely high bonuses.

Didn't know the characters were altered/buffed with the latest patch. Indeed, Lana's special is finally able to hit dudes - it is still quite weak, but not as useless as before.

Kouriozan

Well yeah, I'm being destroyed in the twilight map. I already got all the other skulltulas.
I guess it's finally time to go back and get every heart pieces.

CBTech

I used to dislike Lana's Spear, but after I found out you can dash cancel out of the gust of wind attack (C4?) before you start floating it became much better. It does a good amount of damage while being a safe move. I've actually started using it more than her book recently.

Top 5 (no order):
Link - Master Sword
Sheik
Midna
Volga
Cia

Bottom 5 (no order):
Fi
Agitha
Zant
Link - Great Fairy
Zelda - Baton

bobohoro

And today on hilariously broken moves: The C1 of the almighty Volga.

• It breaks guards.
  • It counters most other moves.
  • It deals awesome damage.
  • It depletes WPGs like crazy.

This, coupled with his C2 juggle, C3 sniping and C5 keep clearer makes me think that he might just be even better than Master Sword Link.

Naw, beams are still too strong.

Top Bottom