• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

NeonZ

People are talking about level 150 and I've yet to see 40. I can't fathom how anyone could manage to get to 150 in a lifetime.

Going through the Adventure maps will raise your levels by a lot due to the high number of stages. You don't even need to worry about grinding, aside from the Legendary Skill.

So I've never played a DW game, but I'm a MASSIVE Zelda fan and this looks awesome. I only haven't picked it up yet because it looks like there's so much content and I wanted to get it after the glut of fall releases. But will it be hard for me to learn the Dynasty Warriors gameplay? Are they difficult games? It looks like a ton of fun, I just don't want to get it and then be fuck awful at it.

The gameplay is very easy to learn. And on normal difficulty the story-line is pretty much impossible to lose even once; you'll have no issues.

taizuke

People are talking about level 150 and I've yet to see 40. I can't fathom how anyone could manage to get to 150 in a lifetime.

It's like Neonz said, going through 148 stages of Adventure Mode will level up almost everyone.

In my case i've been solely playing this game ever since it came out and have gotten all the medals except for Hero Mode, Amiibos medal, and completing/A ranking the Twilight map. So, you can get an idea of how much i've been playing. lol

MattyG

Banned
Do you guys think the gamepad is a good controller for this, or should I get a pro controller?

And anyone in here have the season pass? Worth it so far?
The gameplay is very easy to learn. And on normal difficulty the story-line is pretty much impossible to lose even once; you'll have no issues.
Nice! Can't wait pick it up!

bobohoro

Finally crossed the 100h mark. Feels good. Still have two costums and Cia's third weapon left on the Master Quest map, won't bother with 8bit-stuff and the rest until I got some ways into the Twilight map, looking forward to the alternative colors again. It's bizarre, I think Bayonetta 2 and Smash are the better - and for me fresher - games, but I still find myself drawn to Hyrule Warriors more.

Anteo

Do you guys think the gamepad is a good controller for this, or should I get a pro controller?

Nice! Can't wait pick it up!

The gamepad is a good enough controller for most games but pro controler outclasses it for any game that doesnt need the second screen.

So, is Epona's carrot gauge pretty much useless?

I'm probably not using it right.

You lose a carrot everytime you use the strong attack
the strong attack by itself has a lot of strength, the follow up slashes don't though. So you just use it over and over again against bosses (or at least that's what I do to great effect)

daydream

Banned
You lose a carrot everytime you use the strong attack
the strong attack by itself has a lot of strength, the follow up slashes don't though. So you just use it over and over again against bosses (or at least that's what I do to great effect)

I see, thanks. So it's an attack with low range but high power. I thought it was meant to give you a run/gallop boost or something.

Pro controller is of course best for most games, but the gamepad works fine. I'd recommend getting a pro controller though not just for this game but for MK8, M3DW, DKCTP et al., but again if you like the way the gamepad feels then it will work fine!

And everyone in here has the season pass. Literally everyone.

NeonZ

I see, thanks. So it's an attack with low range but high power. I thought it was meant to give you a run/gallop boost or something.

It also instantly puts you into the running animation afterwards, but it doesn't really give a boost if you're already running.

MattyG

Banned
Just got the game and am installing the patch now. Got the pro controller too. Can't wait to start playing!

Edit: just finished the first mission and HOLY SHIT this is amazingly fun.
And everyone in here has the season pass. Literally everyone.
Welp, looks like I'll have to join the ranks then.

bobohoro

Hard is manageable, but it might turn out to be more of a slog since enemies tend to have a tad too many health points if you only have starter weapons and low levels. I'd say start Legend Mode on normal and see how it goes, if you want more of a challenge pump it up to hard. But the real meat of the game is in Adventure Mode anyway, where there are set difficulty levels and you will get most of the harder challenges the game can throw at you.

Season Pass is more than worth it. I got 100 hours logged into the game and over 15 of those were spent on DLC stuff. And I haven't even touched most of the second pack so far.

TheMoon

Hard is manageable, but it might turn out to be more of a slog since enemies tend to have a tad too many health points if you only have starter weapons and low levels. I'd say start Legend Mode on normal and see how it goes, if you want more of a challenge pump it up to hard.

I found hard the perfect amount of challenge in Legend Mode. Started on Hard and then tried Normal and Easy and found both comparatively boring.

Nohar

Currently finishing Adventure Map, I only have a few heart containers left to grab and I'll have 100% it. Also managed to do A-1 as Agitha and got the gold medal (bless the "Item Power-up" potion: I spent the stage bombing everyone in sight). Afterward I'll move to the Master Quest one, though I already beat a few challenges on this one.

The season pass is indeed worth it, though, sadly, it doesn't add any new battlefield. New characters and weapons are great, but I really would love a change of environment. Sadly, I guess we won't get any new ones in this game. I hope that Hyrule Warriors 2 will offer more diversity (if they release a HW2, that is ~ though I don't see why they wouldn't). I also hope that they will improve coop... 2 players mode is... correct, but the number of monsters onscreen crumbles, not to mention framerate issues (especially jarring on those missions on Master Quest map in which you have tons of enemies: the player on the GamePad wouldn't see any monster pop near him, even when the mini-map was showing the aera surrounding him full of red dots). Though, I guess we can't expect more from the Wii U, the game is still very fun as a solo experience.

one_kill

Booted this up today just to see what rewards I'll get by scanning my amiibo. Got three ruppees, a weapon, and Goblin shield.

I haven't played the game in a long while and I don't really feel like playing it. It's such a shame too since I wanted to play as Ghirahim.

bobohoro

I found hard the perfect amount of challenge in Legend Mode. Started on Hard and then tried Normal and Easy and found both comparatively boring.

Granted, I also like to play around a bit in the beginning and try to get an extensive feel for the mechanics, combo potential and influence of stats, so playing on normal and not having many interruptions will probably be more fun for me than for someone who wants straight action from the beginning. As such, I can see that normal would indeed be boring, since enemy attacks are nearly non-existant.

I'd say ideally you also want to do a bit of Adventure Mode on the side and possibly upgrade a few weapons to tier 2 if you start out on hard. Just to up your damage output and make fights against named officers not take quite so long.

MattyG

Banned
Just got to the fourth battle and I think I have to drop down to normal difficulty, I keep getting my ass handed to me. I go to get the two keeps, Volga stats fighting Impa so I go to deal with him, and if he doesn't kill me then my base gets destroyed when Mandala shows up.

I feel like I may be missing something though. I'm tying to just play through the story like I would any normal game, but do I have to play other modes to level up for the harder story missions or something?

daydream

Banned
Just got to the fourth battle and I think I have to drop down to normal difficulty, I keep getting my ass handed to me. I go to get the two keeps, Volga stats fighting Impa so I go to deal with him, and if he doesn't kill me then my base gets destroyed when Mandala shows up.

I feel like I may be missing something though. I'm tying to just play through the story like I would any normal game, but do I have to play other modes to level up for the harder story missions or something?

I've not touched any other modes other than the story mode so far (almost done with it) and the game is really, really easy even on hard for me. Not sure what to suggest. Always be aware of your allies' health bars (found on the Gamepad), make a beeline for them if they get low. Keep your objective in mind. Always be running (use the dodge (B) to transition straight into run mode). In combat, make heavy use of dodging. There's no necessity to guard, though, I haven't been using it, at all. Break pots for magic and special juice, don't be conservative with those. Lock-on to stronger enemies.

Hm, that's about it. Either you haven't gotten a feel for the combat, yet, or you get lost easily, that'd be my guess. What do you think?

MattyG

Banned
I've not touched any other modes other than the story mode so far (almost done with it) and the game is really, really easy even on hard for me. Not sure what to suggest. Always be aware of your allies' health bars (found on the Gamepad), make a beeline for them if they get low. Keep your objective in mind. Always be running (use the dodge (B) to transition straight into run mode). In combat, make heavy use of dodging. There's no necessity to guard, though, I haven't been using it, at all. Break pots for magic and special juice, don't be conservative with those. Lock-on to stronger enemies.

Hm, that's about it. Either you haven't gotten a feel for the combat, yet, or you get lost easily, that'd be my guess. What do you think?
Yeah, I think I probably just don't have a feel for the combat. I haven't been spriting either, didn't know you could force it by holding B. That and I think I've been proritizing my teammates too much over the objective. I'll try some of your suggestions, thanks!

EDIT: I beat that mission first retry after I read your tips, and breezed through the next two too. Thanks!

bobohoro

Make sure to also look out for powered up enemies. Especially Volga can be a pain if he has a red aura (indicating power boost) since he can easily take of a chunk of your health bar if you aren't familiar with his moveset. Guarding is surprisingly useful for beginners to learn that stuff, so make use of that.

If you want some levels and maybe some better weapons, take a look at Adventure Mode. You unlock the whole map by playing through Legend Mode, but some useful squares might already be open to you. I am not quite sure how they stack up to the story maps in terms of difficulty, however.

so, anyone love going out of their way to beat up Cuccos just for the hell of it? lol

Did it once, now I fear the cuccos more than any enemy. Especially if you're going for A-Ranks or the second set of skulltulas. One hit of the bigger ones does huge amounts of damage.

shaowebb

Yeah, that's what I meant. :p

Go for the element plus stuff. They really do mean something in this game. Also skip the stuff like hearts...you'll be chasing too many A ranks to care and in those you pretty much wanna no damage run it. Also any weapon that has 2000 or higher KO's required to unlock a skill are worth putting time in on to unlock. Any below that aren't worth it. Things like vs Beast is great...hell any VS bonus is worth it.

Also since you accidently brought up the Apothecary do invest in your skulttula hunts and bottle badges. Skulltulas unlock stuff and you can dump a little cash and a bunch of useless items like monster teeth into the creation of something that will make you positively OP for a single match. Stuff that makes your attacks UNBLOCKABLE exists in the Apothecary and its worth investing in skulltulas so you can occassionally make your life easier chasing unlocks in Adventure Mode by sucking down potions to cheat match difficulties.

Sagitario

Stupid Twilight Princess map diminishing my will to play! I hope they either patch the damage done by enemies or the damage needed for A ranks.

The Dominion Rod is probably my favorite weapon. So much fun! It leaves you open/vulnerable for a bit, especially when fighting multiple captains + lots of minions because of the chaos it provokes (you can't see the captains), but it's excellent for crowd control (killing +1200 enemies is a piece of cake with it).

Also:
As long as you complete a mission, you do not need to manually pick up Material or Weapon drops. Everything is automatically collected for you at the end of the mission.
Is this true? Every single drop? If so, excellent time saver since I wouldn't go out of my way to pick up drops.

Kouriozan

Only 1 more skulltula in the first map and then I have all the non-DLC skulltulas, neat!
But... I still don't have all hearts pieces from Legend mode and even less in the first map, and I don't have all A rank neither.
I can safely assume I'll be done with this game not so long before Zelda U is released :lol

As for Majora's Mask pack, I'm hoping for Fierce Deity costume for Link <3

Golnei

As for Majora's Mask pack, I'm hoping for Fierce Deity costume for Link <3

Sadly, the MM pack lacks costumes. He could still be a separate character, but that'd leave us with a disappointing overall representation of MM, especially if he was paired with Tingle.

NeonZ

Sadly, the MM pack lacks costumes. He could still be a separate character, but that'd leave us with a disappointing overall representation of MM, especially if he was paired with Tingle.

Huh? The Majora's Mask pack lacks weapons. It has three costumes.

Man, that Level on the Adventure Map with Midna's Level 3 Weapon as the A Rank reward is a real pain. Even with a 5 star Lv 2 weapon, I can't beat the enemies fast enough.

Also, wow did not know about the bit about dropped materials. That's sure to save me some time.

I've been picking away at this game ever since it came out, and I've FINALLY beaten Legend mode. There's just so much content, and working away at all the Adventure maps has taken so much time. I'm still so far from leveling and getting the best weapons for all the characters.

Although while I love what my Amiibo figures have been giving me, man, it really makes my strongest gear lean in one direction. Link is just dominating with the Spinner and Epona right now. I need some better gear for everyone else lol, they all feel so weak in comparison.

Now that I've beaten Legend mode though, now I got Hero difficulty and more skulltulas. I mean geez lol With all the DLC and such, this game has just so many hours I can sink into it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm hoping Majora's mask finally adds more stages, but I'm guessing if the last 2 DLCs haven't, this one won't ether.

bobohoro

wait, so how do elemental weaknesses and resistances work in this game?

That's a rather complex thing in this game and not fully tested or understood yet. Most enemies are weak to one element (I'm unsure of big monsters though) and some are resistent to another. Darunia for example is weak to water and resists fire, so using a water weapon does ~30% more damage while fire weapons deal ~20% less damage. The problem is, that not all elemental affinities are intuitive.

The element+ skills only affect the additional effects of elements. Prolonging the water bubbles or extending the effects of dark/light crosses, so they aren't that useful as they seem at first.

Additionally there are characters like Sheik that seemingly use multi-elemental attacks, but all her harp moves really deal lightning damage, only the additional effects of an element are applied to her fire/water/dark/light-attacks.

Most of that information is taken from my own experience and the research some guys did on gamefaqs.

That's a rather complex thing in this game and not fully tested or understood yet. Most enemies are weak to one element (I'm unsure of big monsters though) and some are resistent to another. Darunia for example is weak to water and resists fire, so using a water weapon does ~30% more damage while fire weapons deal ~20% less damage. The problem is, that not all elemental affinities are intuitive.

The element+ skills only affect the additional effects of elements. Prolonging the water bubbles or extending the effects of dark/light crosses, so they aren't that useful as they seem at first.

Additionally there are characters like Sheik that seemingly use multi-elemental attacks, but all her harp moves really deal lightning damage, only the additional effects of an element are applied to her fire/water/dark/light-attacks.

Most of that information is taken from my own experience and the research some guys did on gamefaqs.

I find it easier to seperate it into weapon elements and elemental effects. Mainly because damage from weapons isn't connected to the effects (e.g. a water element weapon doesn't cause the water effect with normal hits, instead certain attacks, usually strong attacks, will tag it on)
The weapon element is what controls the damage bonuses for weaknesses and the like while the completely seperate element effects are what are changed by the slot abilities (e.g. fire+)

Kouriozan

Holy shit at this stage :

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01dxejd.jpg

It started well, even with the normal monsters dealing 6 hearts damage, but then I had to kill Ganondorf.
After 5 mins of fighting, he still had half of his life but the ally base was in trouble so I rushed there...
And then both Ghirahim and Zant also took ages to kill...
Finally, I was unlucky to get hit by a combo that killed me from full HP.

I still have tons of stages to complete anyway~

Top Bottom