• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

JoeFu

Banned
Been out of country for a while so didn't get to play with my Wii U for a few months. Picked this game up and I was instantly hooked. Love the musou gameplay and it feels fresher with this Zelda coat of paint.

Finished what I'm guessing is the first part of the main story and dropped money into the DLC.

Man the horse weapon for Link is amazing. If only Dynasty Warriors or something would get that kind of gameplay on a horse I would love it even more.

shaowebb

Been out of country for a while so didn't get to play with my Wii U for a few months. Picked this game up and I was instantly hooked. Love the musou gameplay and it feels fresher with this Zelda coat of paint.

Finished what I'm guessing is the first part of the main story and dropped money into the DLC.

Man the horse weapon for Link is amazing. If only Dynasty Warriors or something would get that kind of gameplay on a horse I would love it even more.

I'm still figuring out some stuff on the Epona Moveset. Right now what are you doing with it thats working out the best for crowds? Her dash seems good at taking on officers or attacking lines of enemies in front of her, but I'm still trying to figure out how to use this moveset better for dense crowds and keeps.

EDIT: okay so far I've figured out the YYYYX string is probably the best I can do for crowd clearing with Epona. All of epona's attacks make her charge forward making it extremely hard for her to hit anything that isn't directly in front of her. I though her combo that had her stomp the ground would be best since it pulls crowds in, but it doesn't do much damage. The YYYYX string has her hop left and right rapidly and that is steerable enough to hit large crowds.

In other words Epona is Liu Shan. Charge through turn around to greet the crowd and then use her YYYYX combo to clear them. You have to zig zag a lot and her stomp combo is mainly used to protect your back from sneak attacks if you get too deep more than to clear groups.

Her strength though is in that she is so tall enemies CANNOT stop being juggled and she can get a LOT of unblockable damage once they are airborne. She's a heavy damage dash character. Try to steer enemies at walls and not to get too dizzy in the process. She's terrible at dodging but fast enough to strafe so try to adapt as best you can with Officers.

JoeFu

Banned
Yeah, sorry didn't see the post earlier! Epona + an officer in the corner = juggle til death. It's really dumb. Her C2? I think (the one where she kicks) is pretty good damage-wise I think. Anyways Epona is cheap as hell when you have those Adventure mode quests where all attacks are devastating

shaowebb

HOLY SHIT! Volga alt outfit from Twilight Map equals one of the best surprises in awhile :D
Link to the glory and Its inspiration
LU BU BASED COLOR ALT!
Yeah, sorry didn't see the post earlier! Epona + an officer in the corner = juggle til death. It's really dumb. Her C2? I think (the one where she kicks) is pretty good damage-wise I think. Anyways Epona is cheap as hell when you have those Adventure mode quests where all attacks are devastating

hehehaha...yeah I got that beat. Here is the next level shit for "All attacks are devastating" stages...

Zelda...wind baton...hit strong attack then dash cancel.

She shoots like 9 tornadoes nearly full screen in a spread pattern at super high speed. You dash cancel afterward to avoid going into the steered single tornado afterwards that leaves you vulnerable and to abuse invincibility frames. YOU CLEAR THE WHOLE SCREEN INSTANTLY.

Velcro Fly

I get major Kain Highwind vibes from Volga. I used him once in free mode on one of the first maps and he was a beast. It's funny though even using Volga the cutscenes show Link and I still had to fight Volga early on.

Game is pretty fun so far. Only gotten the dreaded "1 rupee" from an amiibo a few times. Got some materials and some "5,000 rupees" a few times.

Feels like tons of content but I'm not really overwhelmed like I get in Dynasty Warriors. Game is fun and is gorgeous even playing on the Gamepad only so far.

I'm looking for something. I'm trying to get through adventure mode but I don't have the time to grind for compasses. I could have sworn I saw a guide out there somewhere that tells me where to use each item. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Callandor

I'm looking for something. I'm trying to get through adventure mode but I don't have the time to grind for compasses. I could have sworn I saw a guide out there somewhere that tells me where to use each item. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

It's in Japanese, but here you go:

http://toragame.com/zelda_musou/adventure/map.php

It points out where items need to be used on each square, and it's usually pretty easy to figure out what to use.

JerkShep

I need some advice because the game is scaring me shitless with the insane amount of content. I have the DLCs (what have I done) but let's talk about the base game for now.
I have completed Legendary Mode with all the hearts and most of the Skulltullas (I miss 5 or 6 of the ones that unlocked after the ending of the main story). My characters are sort of between 30-40. I did a bit of Adventure Mode, unlocked Ruto and Ghiraim, but I'm starting to feel lost. There are soo many missions, with various prizes, I just can't seem to tackle the map in an efficient way. Any advice on how to progress? Should I level my characters first? Grind to unlock power ups? Some missions seem to be hard if I need to achieve rank A, others seem easier but I'm not very familiar with some of the playable characters.
I really want to unlock most of the stuff in the game...but there's A LOT of it. Any advice would help, thanks.

I need some advice because the game is scaring me shitless with the insane amount of content. I have the DLCs (what have I done) but let's talk about the base game for now.
I have completed Legendary Mode with all the hearts and most of the Skulltullas (I miss 5 or 6 of the ones that unlocked after the ending of the main story). My characters are sort of between 30-40. I did a bit of Adventure Mode, unlocked Ruto and Ghiraim, but I'm starting to feel lost. There are soo many missions, with various prizes, I just can't seem to tackle the map in an efficient way. Any advice on how to progress? Should I level my characters first? Grind to unlock power ups? Some missions seem to be hard if I need to achieve rank A, others seem easier but I'm not very familiar with some of the playable characters.
I really want to unlock most of the stuff in the game...but there's A LOT of it. Any advice would help, thanks.

if this scares you then never play Monster Hunter or youd shit your pants

So...I just remembered...eshop updated today, and we still didn't get the preorder DLC costumes to purchase?? Japan and Europe has them, but still no NA? What the hell nintendo? :/ Been playing as Zelda so much lately, and all I want is her damn Skyward Sword outfit

Hylian7

Okay, I got this game today, and maybe I'm dumb, but someone please explain to me like I am 4 about the appeal of Musou games.

I am only 4 chapters in, but it seems super easy so far. I just mash attack and occasionally throw in the heavy attack and special buttons and that's really it. The fanservice is cool. Does the difficulty pick up later? I don't get it...

And I know the thread title jokes about it, but seriously...why do the regular enemies do nothing?

This is probably a really dumb question, but I figured it would be best to ask here. Do I need to complete a mission as a certain character to get that character's reward in the Adventure Maps? For example, if the regular "bronze" prize is a Lv.2 Weapon for Zelda, do I have to beat the square as her in order to get it, or can I use anyone?

Golnei

This is probably a really dumb question, but I figured it would be best to ask here. Do I need to complete a mission as a certain character to get that character's reward in the Adventure Maps? For example, if the regular "bronze" prize is a Lv.2 Weapon for Zelda, do I have to beat the square as her in order to get it, or can I use anyone?

I think you have to use that specific character - and in cases where a weapon icon is visible over the prize as well, the specific weapon. If the reward is Zelda's level 2 baton, as an example; you'll have to clear the challenge as Zelda using the baton.

Is it worth finding all the skulltulas? Do I get anything cool for it?

Sort of - aside from the portraits you also get things like the Zora and Goron tunics for Link, but the DLC costumes are much more interesting.

NeonZ

The game won't even let you play with a different character in lvl2 and lvl3 weapon stages. I can't remember about lvl1 ones though, but I think it's the same.

I think you have to use that specific character - and in cases where a weapon icon is visible over the prize as well, the specific weapon. If the reward is Zelda's level 2 baton, as an example; you'll have to clear the challenge as Zelda using the baton.

You only need to use the specific weapon for the lvl 3 weapons - and, in that case,like character in lvl2 ones, you're forced to go with them and don't really have an option.

That boss rush reward map is hard to A-rank. Bosses stay or come together. Or Zelda dies. Or I use too much time. Or I get hit in at the last bosses.

But still, I wil conquer that stage. :p

Oh, yes, I did everything in the first adventure map. Is completely completed. :p

Now started with the master quest map.

Still not all the badges. :(

bobohoro

I always set a goal and aimed for it, starting with weapon and character unlocks, then weapon ranks, skulltulas and hearts. Carve your way through the map to your desired unlock, don't waste items on hidden heart containers if you are short on them and just have fun. The amount of content is enormous, I'd estimate about 40-50 hours to just unlock all characters and weapons, and that's just the beginning, so you really shouldn't get stressed out about it and just play. If you get hooked you will be with the game for quite a few weeks, some of us are playing regularly since release after all.

A few pointers: Lv50, considereing you have some good badges, should be enough to reasonably tackle even the hardest parts of the original Adventure Map. A good strategy and familiarity with a character's moveset are more important than additional grinding when it comes to the harder stuff (Zant/Agitha Lv3 for example).

Use the dojo. Rupees are used for a few things, but most don't cost much, so spend them on levels.

Top two rows of the adventure map are the hardest, but also give you some more room for the damage requirement. Left bottom section is also a bit tougher, so stay in the center in the beginning.

Okay, I got this game today, and maybe I'm dumb, but someone please explain to me like I am 4 about the appeal of Musou games.

I am only 4 chapters in, but it seems super easy so far. I just mash attack and occasionally throw in the heavy attack and special buttons and that's really it. The fanservice is cool. Does the difficulty pick up later? I don't get it...

And I know the thread title jokes about it, but seriously...why do the regular enemies do nothing?

Play on Hard, although even that might seem easy for some. But the initial run through Legendary Mode really is more of an introduction to the game. The final Adventure Mode stages, Hero difficulty and Master Quest are where you need strategy, should know your combos and enemy attack patterns. And if you're really looking for a challenge, or frustration, get the Twilight Map.

Not dumb at all, since I think the game never really states it clearly. Normally, you always will need to use the character in question to unlock her/his reward. There are some maps where you are restricted to another character but can still unlock the reward with those. But I don't think that's the case on the original map, only some DLC squares do that.

Richie

*Incredible summary on all things Sheik*

Man I still suck at answering on time, but that was a -marvelous- write-up, thank you so much for it man, realizing the advantages of the water shield and other things, I could A Grade missions I thought I'd never be able to before I was level 100 or higher.

This night I FINALLY could get all of the non DLC weapons' upgrades, Agitha's 3rd was a pain in the behind, ya know how I tried to clear the mission by doing the two player trick? Well it was a no go lol, I took too much time for it. So I left it for later, thinking I was doomed to level up Agitha via the Training Dojo until the end of time, and chilled at the Master Quest map...and then I stumble across the bottom left of the map. That freaking mission is absolutely God like in leveling characters. I cannot believe my Darunia went from level 66 to 101 in two days thanks to that freaking level (had to train him so he could take on the last Skulltulla of Legend mode). 4 levels in one go, holy shit. So in between training him and other characters, I decided to train Agitha. Got her to level 80, then tackled the level. Cia dies, restart. Allied base dies, restart. But in all of these I was slowly taking out the Dinolfos with more ease...and the tornado trick mentioned by ShadowgeistX worked wonders for clearing out the crowd. I had some beer on the side lol so every time I lost I was like "no, I have to do this, next time will be it".Third time was the charm. It took ages to take Link down but I freaking did it at least! (Anyone who wants to add each other for Network Links, I'm more than up for it))

I just unlocked the Boss Rush map on the Rewards Map...Maaan, is that thing unforgiving or what? A lvl 140 Link, and still got pummeled. Any tips for that one?

Oh, the coolest glitch happened earlier. You know how Network Links for the previous day stay on for a few seconds before they vanish off the map, and the new ones appear? Well, I saw one that seemed like an easy 50k rupees, and activated it before it disappeared. When I enter the mission, I notice two things. First, the game realized the Network Link was outdated, and I was playing the respective mission on the map instead. Second, and the reason why I even bring this up, the game was on steroids. It ran smooth as butter and everything was like at 1.5x the speed. Like I was in Focus Mode all the way through. It was something to behold, it was lunacy, really wish I could have taken a video. Has this happened to you guys?

Also, how many hours have you guys sank into the game? I checked today, and holy shit, 148 hours. I'm almost certain that's the most I've poured into a single game ("almost" because Smash' multiplayer exists). Certainly the most I've invested into a single player game. And I still have yet to tackle pretty much all of the Twilight map, and half of the Master Quest one, and there's still more DLC upcoming....I regret nothing.

JerkShep

I always set a goal and aimed for it, starting with weapon and character unlocks, then weapon ranks, skulltulas and hearts. Carve your way through the map to your desired unlock, don't waste items on hidden heart containers if you are short on them and just have fun. The amount of content is enormous, I'd estimate about 40-50 hours to just unlock all characters and weapons, and that's just the beginning, so you really shouldn't get stressed out about it and just play. If you get hooked you will be with the game for quite a few weeks, some of us are playing regularly since release after all.

A few pointers: Lv50, considereing you have some good badges, should be enough to reasonably tackle even the hardest parts of the original Adventure Map. A good strategy and familiarity with a character's moveset are more important than additional grinding when it comes to the harder stuff (Zant/Agitha Lv3 for example).

Use the dojo. Rupees are used for a few things, but most don't cost much, so spend them on levels.

Top two rows of the adventure map are the hardest, but also give you some more room for the damage requirement. Left bottom section is also a bit tougher, so stay in the center in the beginning.

Thank you very much. I think I was wandering in parts of the map I was not supposed to yet and that led to frustration. I'll report back.

NeonZ

Have any new levels been added as DLC or do the new adventure maps just have a new overworld with the same levels inside them?

Only the same levels so far, just with different gimmicks in the stages, like Twilight Princess has some maps where you need to kill Dark enemies, but they split into multiples after losing half of their energy,and each multiple also splits; Master Quest has some missions where you need to run around the map stopping enemies from attacking bases with minimal resistance...

Aeon07

Neo Member
I just purchased the Pre-Order Costumes for Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess from the e-shop. We finally got them.

Trike

So I just started playing again after a couple of months and I got the DLC pack. But when I started up the game it is noticeably slower, and the co-op has a horrible resolution/framerate. Is this a known issue? It was the first level in Master Quest's Legend mode. Last time I played co-op took a hit in FPS, but not this bad. It didn't look like hot garbage.

Nohar

Well, co-op is pretty much broken in Master Quest missions in which you have tons of enemies filling the map (the missions in which you get countless magic potions to use). Actually, the second player won't even see monsters pop near him, despite the mini-map showing him to be surrounded.

shaowebb

Well, co-op is pretty much broken in Master Quest missions in which you have tons of enemies filling the map (the missions in which you get countless magic potions to use). Actually, the second player won't even see monsters pop near him, despite the mini-map showing him to be surrounded.

Just want to clarify on this a little so folks don't get the wrong impression here. You get monsters but it can't pop up all the ones it shows on the map. You won't be standing alone out there. Me and my wife team up all the time and while the amount of monsters is often smaller due to this issue its not a "wont even see any" scenario...more of a "wont see as many as the map claims" issue. Plus once you kill a few the rest start popping in so while it screws with doing big attacks to clear quickly it doesn't screw you out of kills since they spawn nearly the instant something dies and it has the memory free to render them.

Annoying, but not broken and unplayable. Easily livable.

NeonZ

I just purchased the Pre-Order Costumes for Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess from the e-shop. We finally got them.

They are there. NoA really makes no sense sometimes. Did they just forget to upload them before or something? Anyway, I finally got that Ocarina of Time Ganondorf costume (well, and all the other ones, but I really wanted the other Ganondorf costumes since they have a very different presence from Hyrule Warriors' design).

Trike

Just want to clarify on this a little so folks don't get the wrong impression here. You get monsters but it can't pop up all the ones it shows on the map. You won't be standing alone out there. Me and my wife team up all the time and while the amount of monsters is often smaller due to this issue its not a "wont even see any" scenario...more of a "wont see as many as the map claims" issue. Plus once you kill a few the rest start popping in so while it screws with doing big attacks to clear quickly it doesn't screw you out of kills since they spawn nearly the instant something dies and it has the memory free to render them.

Annoying, but not broken and unplayable. Easily livable.

Actually it is pretty broken for some modes. They don't really appear instantly, so any adventure map where you need to kill a certain number of enemies is now harder. Taking a keep now takes longer too. Not to mention that the challenge mode is pretty much impossible in co-op to the point where I don't see why it is available. I was easily able to triple the amount of kills I had in an adventure mode level vs a co-op level.

But that isn't specific to the Master Quest stuff, that is the entire game. The issue with Master Quest mode was that it looked like I was playing a PS2 game in it's original resolution being blown up on a big screen, but also ran like ass to the point where it was almost unplayable. I didn't have this issue before the patches/dlc. I turned off the health bars on grunts, so now the frame rate is stable and it only is as jagged as a Wii game on an HDTV.

shaowebb

Actually it is pretty broken for some modes. They don't really appear instantly, so any adventure map where you need to kill a certain number of enemies is now harder. Taking a keep now takes longer too. Not to mention that the challenge mode is pretty much impossible in co-op to the point where I don't see why it is available. I was easily able to triple the amount of kills I had in an adventure mode level vs a co-op level.

But that isn't specific to the Master Quest stuff, that is the entire game. The issue with Master Quest mode was that it looked like I was playing a PS2 game in it's original resolution being blown up on a big screen, but also ran like ass to the point where it was almost unplayable. I didn't have this issue before the patches/dlc. I turned off the health bars on grunts, so now the frame rate is stable and it only is as jagged as a Wii game on an HDTV.

I have never had issues as bad as what you describe. Literally never. All I've had is what I described above. Sorry to hear things hit you so hard. Apparently mileage may vary...which Wii U are you using?

Trike

I have never had issues as bad as what you describe. Literally never. All I've had is what I described above. Sorry to hear things hit you so hard. Apparently mileage may vary...which Wii U are you using?

Have you done the first Legend level in Master Quest mode on co-op with the health bars on? The slowdown/resolution hit seemed harder than it should be, but that does happen in co-op mode to an extent. The slimming down on enemies is just something the game does in co-op mode and always happened.

The Wii U is a launch 32gb and is working fine.

Edit: After relaunching the level in co-op mode with the health bars turned back on, it is no longer experiencing the initial crazy issues it had. I don't know why it went so crazy, I wish I took pictures/recorded a video.

shaowebb

Have you done the first Legend level in Master Quest mode on co-op with the health bars on? The slowdown/resolution hit seemed harder than it should be, but that does happen in co-op mode to an extent. The slimming down on enemies is just something the game does in co-op mode and always happened.

The Wii U is a launch 32gb and is working fine.

Edit: After relaunching the level in co-op mode with the health bars turned back on, it is no longer experiencing the initial crazy issues it had. I don't know why it went so crazy, I wish I took pictures/recorded a video.

Keep us posted if you end up with more problems like you had before. Stuff like that is pretty big and if it turns out multiple people end up suffering the same thing it'd be good to send stuff like that to Koei. I know their Warriors Orochi Hyper for Wii U ran into issues at one point and they were similar to this. It'd be good to stay on top of any changes in consistency between patches for different Wii U models.

Got this for Christmas. It is probably my favourite Warriors game, which isn't a surprise. I am already at 14 hours in, and it is keeping me away from Pokemon, Fantasy Life, Captain Toad, Bayonetta, and more... I think I have only used around half the characters! Least favourite so far is Sheik, because it seems like her damage is way too low and it is hard to clear lots of enemies without her special. But, I might just not be high enough of a level for the maps I have used her on.

I bought all the DLC. I don't even know when I will get to it with all this content. I am like 1/4 of the way through the Adventure Map, without all the items though, and also through story mode on normal. My time is flying away xD

SoldnerKei

so the pre-order bonuses are up? weird, I was expecting them with the next e-shop update, time to get SS Zelda and TP Ganondorf

Trike

How's the framerate?

Co-Op has been consistent ever since I switched off the grunt's health bars for awhile and then turned it back on. It seems like it takes a small hit in fps during co-op, as well as small graphical hit. Nothing near the nightmare mode when I first started playing again. In general, I think the game is supposed to run ~30fps. Co-Op/number of enemies on screen can slow things down.

Prototype

My gf and I have been playing the hell out of this the last few days. Very fun so far. Wish I could play other characters besides the main ones in story mode. Would love to wreck enemies with Volga.

parkinho

Finally beat Legend Mode today; really enjoyed the final level and in particular the boss battle. So much more still to do in this game but Bayonetta 2 has been sat unplayed since launch so I guess now is the time to put Hyrule Warrior down for a bit!

Finally beat Legend Mode today; really enjoyed the final level and in particular the boss battle. So much more still to do in this game but Bayonetta 2 has been sat unplayed since launch so I guess now is the time to put Hyrule Warrior down for a bit!

Just finished it myself. Finally I can unlock some of Ghirahim's skills!

I'm in the same boat, I've played nothing BUT Hyrule Warriors for the last couple of weeks. I want to at least finish the first Adventure Map.

bobohoro

Do it, Bayo 2 is great. Don't even look at the Adventure Map before you switch. Not even a glance! Or else the game will consume your soul. And as if that isn't enough, all your gaming time too. Run! And don't look back!

Trike

Just finished it myself. Finally I can unlock some of Ghirahim's skills!

I'm in the same boat, I've played nothing BUT Hyrule Warriors for the last couple of weeks. I want to at least finish the first Adventure Map.

The adventure map is the fucking nightmare child of Zelda, Dynasty Warriors, and Nick Arcade that will drain away countless hours of your life. I am probably 60%-70% done with just unlocking the board. Not counting that I still need to get A-rank on them and unlock everything in them. Then there are three more of these afterwards (so far).

Still trying to claw my way to the bottom left area of the Master Quest map, which google informs is the best way to level up. Too bad my Zelda is too under-leveled and under-equipped to get an A rank. I have no idea how to unlock "Festival of Cuccos" either, but I hear it is a nightmare.

parkinho

Do it, Bayo 2 is great. Don't even look at the Adventure Map before you switch. Not even a glance! Or else the game will consume your soul. And as if that isn't enough, all your gaming time too. Run! And don't look back!

Ha I've already dabbled in Adventure Mode quite a bit and I know exactly what you mean about consuming my soul! I think I've got about 32 hours on my save file so far, which I'm sure is quite a low number in comparison to others here but for me puts in comfortably as my second most played game of 2014 (behind Dragon's Crown and in front of Tropical Freeze). Hyrule Warriors as an entire package is very alluring - the combat is simple yet exciting, something I've found is my gaming 'comfort food' since the days of Streets of Rage and Final Fight. The lure of the loot adds a 'one more go' attraction (something that Dragon's Crown also hooked me with) and the whole crafting aspect scratches that Monster Hunter itch that my limited gaming time no longer lets me experience. The fact that Hyrule Warriors has kept me away from Bayonetta 2, the sequel to my favourite game of the previous generation is testament to just how good it is.

shaowebb

Soooooooooo its a new month and this month is special guys. MAJORAS MASK PACK AND 2 NEW CHARACTERS ARE COMING.

Get hype...we very well may get Skull Kid given how hard they've listened to the fans. At least I hope so.

Top Bottom