• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

Any tips on defeating Volga when he's on evil steroids? I need to for one of the skulltulas in Legend Mode.. with Lana.. and her (rank 1) Deku Spear. :(
The thing about Volga is his WPG are really hard to hit not least because very few attacks reveal it. You can exploit his AI. If you attack him a few times which he is blocking he will counter and reveal a WPG if you dodge during the counter you can get a few hits in.

As always having the abilities to deplete WPG quicker and better rank weapons make this far easier.

For someone that doesn't like Tingle in general, I'm finding his HW version pretty cool. The much improved expressiveness helps make him more funny than, well, creepy (probably the original intention).

My most hoped for MM character was Toon Link with Deku, Zora and Goron masks, but that probably wasn't realistic. Of all the transforming masks, Oni Link is the most boring one to me, but I guess if they had to have a single one, it would be that one. I hope they do something crazy to separate him from Link's sword and shield moveset aside from specials.

I have to wonder if this means we'll have a bunch more color palettes to unlock. Those usually aren't counted among the actual costumes, right?

Still stuck on the first Adventure Map. I did unlock my first a rewards map. How do those work? I haven't even taken a peek yet. Is it something you can only do once or something?

Netto-kun

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201501160052/
Finally images of the Lana Skull Kid, Impa OoT and Shiek OoT costumes.
SVtBDGI.jpg
Whgz6u9.jpg
QvTh7rf.jpg

Update 1.5 sounds awesome. Improved smithy, more info on the adventure maps and instant restart? I will be back!

Oh slick. Being able to delete skills off of weapons will make getting a proper 8-slot weapon so much easier whereas instant restart is something that has been very much needed ("Oops, I got hit once on a TP map. Time to wait until things kill me.").

That said, apparently the level cap is going up again? That's, uh, concerning.

bobohoro

That said, apparently the level cap is going up again? That's, uh, concerning.

I'm split on that. On one hand, I'm only close to Lv150 with Link, and the prospect of another 50 levels or more isn't that exciting. On the other hand, considering that they probably won't rebalance the TP map, it might help many finally finishing that thing. And if the new potions include some for leveling purposes, there might just be a shortcut for grinding.

I'm split on that. On one hand, I'm only close to Lv150 with Link, and the prospect of another 50 levels or more isn't that exciting. On the other hand, considering that they probably won't rebalance the TP map, it might help many finally finishing that thing. And if the new potions include some for leveling purposes, there might just be a shortcut for grinding.

I'm more concerned that the MM map is looking for characters at/near the new max or even simply near the 150 max. I mean, yeah, you can somewhat cheese with player 2, but I'd rather do things with the intended character. At the very least I hope they give us a way to get quick and fairly easy experience for characters that don't have Light/Dark element attacks.

Golnei

So what exactly is happening here? Will masks replace palette swaps for the costume variations on the MM map?

Shame if they're a full costume, because the Mask of Truth would look great with the OoT Impa costume.

As someone who is starting to get level 3 weapons (a few but still) version 1.5 can't come sooner.

Looking at the MM adventure map image, S-ranks? Is that the Japanese name for A-ranks or will these maps be way harder?

Only 5 weapon spots though? 13 costumes is similarly confusing I didn't count the previous packs but I thought it was 1 for each playable character....guess some people are missing out (though I can't see Midna is supposed to wear a mask)

Then again that is assuming the map image is the opening state. The Japanese site hints that the map will reset.

King Leo

Neo Member
Pretty psyched for this upcoming patch. I don't even have any DLC yet and I'm overwhelmed with content. It will only get better from here. :)

shaowebb

The ability to delete skills from weapons has me more psyched than most things should. Soooooo many weapons I need to clean up.

For the love of god give me a materials potion.

I have to grind nearly 30 items from the Imprisoned and it keeps giving me weapons. While we're at it, PATCH THE GODDAMN IMPRISONED ALREADY! Make it possible to break his weakpoint in one cycle!

shaowebb

1.5 is hot stuff.

Also is the spinner worth it? I kinda want it...

Definitely worth it. It has some of the best pressure in the game since it hits so fast and surprisingly good area control. Its pretty safe and it has fair damage. If you ever wished Zelda's moveset had a few more options then this might be a fix for that itch. Speed, pressure, and good area control= a solid go to moveset.

Nice, but imo the costumes are disappointing. Probably won't be using the Sheik and Impa costumes much, but I'll definitely use the Skull Kid costume, even though it could be a little bit more awesome.

So what exactly is happening here? Will masks replace palette swaps for the costume variations on the MM map?

Sounds like a reasonable observation. I wouldn't mind that.

Not that I think I'll even get to play the MM map considering how high the difficulty probably is for it. Haven't played HW in a while and am still on the Master Quest map ;b I'm definitely getting back into this game soon.

Just started this tonight. I really enjoyed it, but was saddened by two things:
1) If you co-op, the graphics take a huge plunge.
2) If you co-op, you need a Wii U Pro Controller or suffer waggle attacks, it seems. No Wii Classic Controller option. :(

Is all the DLC worth getting?

Giolon

2) If you co-op, you need a Wii U Pro Controller or suffer waggle attacks, it seems. No Wii Classic Controller option. :(

Absolutely, they all come with some costumes and a smattering of other new stuff.

The Master Quest pack adds a mini campaign for Cia and her crew, Epona as a "weapon" for Link, and an entire new full-sized Adventure Mode map.

The Twilight Princess Pack adds Twili Midna as playable, the Dominion Rod for Zelda, and a new three-quarter size Adventure Mode map.

The Majora's Mask Pack comes out in about 3 weeks and adds Young Link and Tingle and another new Adventure map.

The final DLC pack comes out in march and its exact contents are unknown other than 2 new game modes and its title "Boss Pack."

Just grab the 4-pack and you'll get it all plus the Dark Link skin. It's all a ridiculous amount of content. More than the base game has...for $20.

If you enjoy the game and want more characters & weapons, then yes absolutely. Nothing much in terms of story though, and no new stages. You can see all the DLC info in the OP. The season pass gives you all DLC except for the pre-order costumes.

It's all a ridiculous amount of content. More than the base game has...for $20.

Sorry, but this is BS though. No way there's more content. I mean yeah, the adventure maps are long, but they're not much new. It's just new challenges on the same stages. Imo I expected a bit more from the DLC. Still satisfied of course, but there's no way three characters, a few weapon & costumes and a bunch of new challenges is more content than the base game.

Hey Karst! Seems like your wife and you like the same games as the missus and I. :D (mine eventually got tired of Dragon's Crown, sadly).

The DLC is amazing value and 100% worth getting, but you might want to wait until you're farther into the main game (I wish I had). I believe new characters unlocked are set at the level of your highest character (anyone correct me if I'm wrong), so it's actually in your best interest to level up him as much as possible (ideally 100, the cap without DLC) before unlocking any of them. Since the DLC includes additional adventure mode maps (easily tripling the game time or more), you won't be starved for content to use them afterwards.

On the other hand, DLC characters an weapons automatically have their level 2 and 3 versions unlocked, so that will provide you a significant boost at the beginning. For me it actually unbalanced and trivialized things until the game expected me to have better weapons, so it could be seen as a minus as well.

The final reason is that you will appreciate the new chars and weapons more when you've been playing for a while with all in the core game unlocked. Otherwise they're just "more unlocked characters" among the plethora the game already has.

EDIT: Also, remember the Hero pack includes everything except the 1$ costume packs. It's slightly confusing in the store: just saying so that you don't get one of the 7$ packs individually by accident.

The DLC is amazing value and 100% worth getting, but you might want to wait until you're farther into the main game (I wish I had). I believe new characters unlocked are set at the level of your highest character (anyone correct me if I'm wrong), so it's actually in your best interest to level up him as much as possible (ideally 100, the cap without DLC) before unlocking any of them.

I'm not sure but iirc the DLC characters all start at level 1 no matter how far you are into the game. But in either case, I wouldn't worry about that.

I'd buy the season pass after completing Legends mode for the first time.

Littlebigbenny

Neo Member
I'll get my Wii U this week (traded my vita for it) and am searching for my first game.

Is this a good game to start? It looks like a whole lot of fun but does it also make good use of the consoles abilities?

I'll get my Wii U this week (traded my vita for it) and am searching for my first game.

Is this a good game to start? It looks like a whole lot of fun but does it also make good use of the consoles abilities?

No. It's a fantastic game but it's not using the gamepad in any exciting ways. The best "first game" to play on Wii U is definitely Nintendo Land imo.

Giolon

If you enjoy the game and want more characters & weapons, then yes absolutely. Nothing much in terms of story though, and no new stages. You can see all the DLC info in the OP. The season pass gives you all DLC except for the pre-order costumes.

Sorry, but this is BS though. No way there's more content. I mean yeah, the adventure maps are long, but they're not much new. It's just new challenges on the same stages. Imo I expected a bit more from the DLC. Still satisfied of course, but there's no way three characters, a few weapon & costumes and a bunch of new challenges is more content than the base game.

In terms of things to do, there absolutely is more than the base game. If you want to talk about variety of ways to do those things, or completely new maps, then no, there isn't more. It depends on how you look at it, but it's not BS.

While Story mode was a fun diversion the first time through, I consider Adventure Mode is where the meat of the game lies. Each full map has 128 missions, and they added 1 & 3/4 of them so far, with another one of unknown size to come, plus the 5 or so Cia missions. That's more than the original Adventure map, the tiny reward map, and all 18 of the story missions. Though I'll admit originally, I was mentally counting Cia, Wizro, and Volga as part of the DLC, when they were free DLC.

You're right - they didn't add more characters than the base game had, but that's not the only thing to consider "content".

So hitting a roadblock with regular adventure (quite literally the most of the top-left is inaccessible as my two routes are fighting
Ganon, Ghoma and Dodgonga
all at the same time on a microscopic map and the "final boss" of adventure and I'm not strong enough to do either, the former I timed out on and latter I lost the main keep) so I decided to go into master quest. So I get a candle as a map has bushes and hidden enemies use the compass to burn the right one and...failed? I hit home and closed software at that point
I've read now you use the recorder on those...I suppose it won't hurt to try, yeah recorder on bushes, master quest logic

Well, with HW you get to experience/try out the amazing Off-TV functionality.
The amount of times I've gone to pay and hit - instead of + going into off-TV rather than pause.

So what is the dlc after Majoras Mask? only the boss rush, not any new costumes, characters or something else?

No one has said anything about a boss rush, but it is very likely. The next pack, Ganon Pack, is called Boss Pack in certain countries iirc. It's the cheapest pack and only contains two game modes. Nothing else announced right now. Details in the OP as always.

NeonZ

So what is the dlc after Majoras Mask? only the boss rush, not any new costumes, characters or something else?

Well, I'd expect something like weapon skins or texture/color swaps as prizes for playing the two new modes, like how the adventure map always comes alongside extras too in order to have unlockables there. But, yes, no actual characters or new modeled costumes.

Dinjoralo

I'll just subscribe to this... and this, and this, and this...
I am loving Twili Midna. She just has incredible range on all of her attacks, and her strong attack can completely clear keeps when it's fully charged. Her Musou attack is pretty weak, though.

Richie

13 costumes is similarly confusing I didn't count the previous packs but I thought it was 1 for each playable character....guess some people are missing out (though I can't see Midna is supposed to wear a mask)

Then again that is assuming the map image is the opening state. The Japanese site hints that the map will reset.

I wonder if those aren't 13 different masks that can be worn by everyone in the cast. That'd be awesome.

Impa looks so good. I can't wait to use her OoT costume. I also really like her alt from the TP pack, it's a shame they kinda whitewashed her a bit with this game since the design she is borrowing from had her much more dark skinned.

Lana's Skull Kid costume is also cute, but I know a lot of people would've preferred him to make a full fledged appearance, maybe if there's a sequel though. They've got to keep "some" fan favourites I guess.

I need to go back to this soon. Probably when I get my Toon Link amiibo this week and get Link's new weapon.

I haven't checked this thread as often recently, but I was wondering if anyone compiled any hints or tips on how to kick this game's ass with regards to weak points and character combos etc. I was playing the game solidly since release but didn't know until fairly recently about how to reveal a Darknut/Stalmaster's weakpoint easily (hitting them once then running behind them), so if anyone has compiled a list on stuff like that I'd appreciate it. I should know most stuff by now but since I've got to the Twilight map the difficulty has hiked up and any help would be appreciated.

Golnei

Impa looks so good. I can't wait to use her OoT costume. I also really like her alt from the TP pack, it's a shame they kinda whitewashed her a bit with this game since the design she is borrowing from had her much more dark skinned.

In a vacuum, I wouldn't be bothered by this design being lighter than SS due to it also taking influence from OoT; but with no other non-white playable characters (that are still human) it's much more annoying. And the Lana / Cia evil tanning thing was ridiculously tone deaf.

In a vacuum, I wouldn't be bothered by this design being lighter than SS due to it also taking influence from OoT; but with no other non-white playable characters (that are still human) it's much more annoying. And the Lana / Cia evil tanning thing was ridiculously tone deaf.

Yeah the Lana/Cia thing was pretty weird.

How has everyone's Amiibo experience been with the game? I feel like once the option to manually sell weapons comes I'll be using the Zelda and Link amiibos alot as they consistently give weapons and they can sell for a bit.

Dreavus

Holy shit, this can't be what you have to do for Agitha's rank 3. I pretty much had to spam dash cancelled combo III against a lizardfos the whole match. And cheese the commander with combo III also. Agitha may as well not have any other attacks. What a chore.

I guess it's either that or be very overleveled.

Absolutely, they all come with some costumes and a smattering of other new stuff.

The Master Quest pack adds a mini campaign for Cia and her crew, Epona as a "weapon" for Link, and an entire new full-sized Adventure Mode map.

The Twilight Princess Pack adds Twili Midna as playable, the Dominion Rod for Zelda, and a new three-quarter size Adventure Mode map.

The Majora's Mask Pack comes out in about 3 weeks and adds Young Link and Tingle and another new Adventure map.

The final DLC pack comes out in march and its exact contents are unknown other than 2 new game modes and its title "Boss Pack."

Just grab the 4-pack and you'll get it all plus the Dark Link skin. It's all a ridiculous amount of content. More than the base game has...for $20.

Hey Karst! Seems like your wife and you like the same games as the missus and I. :D (mine eventually got tired of Dragon's Crown, sadly).

The DLC is amazing value and 100% worth getting, but you might want to wait until you're farther into the main game (I wish I had). I believe new characters unlocked are set at the level of your highest character (anyone correct me if I'm wrong), so it's actually in your best interest to level up him as much as possible (ideally 100, the cap without DLC) before unlocking any of them. Since the DLC includes additional adventure mode maps (easily tripling the game time or more), you won't be starved for content to use them afterwards.

On the other hand, DLC characters an weapons automatically have their level 2 and 3 versions unlocked, so that will provide you a significant boost at the beginning. For me it actually unbalanced and trivialized things until the game expected me to have better weapons, so it could be seen as a minus as well.

The final reason is that you will appreciate the new chars and weapons more when you've been playing for a while with all in the core game unlocked. Otherwise they're just "more unlocked characters" among the plethora the game already has.

EDIT: Also, remember the Hero pack includes everything except the 1$ costume packs. It's slightly confusing in the store: just saying so that you don't get one of the 7$ packs individually by accident.
Thanks for the responses, gents. I ended up buying the $20 DLC pack since I have $40 in credit. Loving the game so far, but I haven't found the character for me yet.

A few questions:
1) Who is the most complicated character to play? By that, I mean a character that has to make decisions beyond what AoE to spam. From what I have access to, Zelda with Rapier seems a clear winner.

2) What do higher difficulty modes change?

3) How does network play work?

Thanks for the responses, gents. I ended up buying the $20 DLC pack since I have $40 in credit. Loving the game so far, but I haven't found the character for me yet.

A few questions:
1) Who is the most complicated character to play? By that, I mean a character that has to make decisions beyond what AoE to spam. From what I have access to, Zelda with Rapier seems a clear winner.

2) Enemies have more health, are more aggressive, and give up more rupees/better items upon defeat. There's also some Skulltulas that can only be obtained on Hard.

3) In Adventure Mode, when you have Network Play enabled, you'll sometimes see some missions with another user's Link on a square. If you complete the mission, you'll get a reward that can vary from a good material to a Level 3 weapon for a character.

King Leo

Neo Member
Never really noticed until now, but weapons are a gold mine in this game. Stock up on powerful weapons with lots of skills, then sell them all in bulk for 150k+ rupees each time.

In a master quest map the boss I fought was Impa armed with an 8-bit sword. Was that a glitch? I remember hearing about a glitch like that during the Japanese launch so it is possible that it was an intended homage to it (as the master quest came out after patches had fixed that).

Speaking of glitches there is this frightening attack of the Midna. Here are some Miiverse posts of it:
Apparently it happens when a Network Link is a very low level and it affects a few spots of the Adventure mode map.

shaowebb

A few questions:

1) Most Complicated is kind of a tricky one to answer. Hardest to play is likely Zant or Agitha due to how hard they underperform and how unsafe they are. These are likely the worst in the game. However most complicated, but rewarding has to likely go to Sheik.

Overall my vote for most complicated (and likely BEST character) goes to Sheik. Here is a tutorial on her.

shaowebb said:
SHEIK GUIDE FOR ALL WHO NEED "A" RANKS
Sheik is incredible. Her songs give her an element, but the element is based entirely ON THE COMBO YOU DID BEFORE HITTING STRONG ATTACK. You can tell which element you have because it puts a music note below your special meter after a combo the color of the element.

this is the combos using warriors style buttons where Y= regular and X= strong

YX = Serenade of Water: Puts a shield around Sheik that absorbs 4 hearts of damage. The shield has no time limit and stays on until it takes enough damage to break.

YYX = Bolero of Fire: Puts a "trap" on the ground that detonates a few seconds later, inflicting heavy damage on anything standing on the trap.

YYYX = Song of Storms: Puts a different shield around Sheik that knocks enemies away from her, inflicting light damage. This can stack with the water shield but is limited in time.

YYYYX = Nocturne of Shadow: Puts a shadow on the ground that pulls enemies into it, trapping them in place. You can put this down to hold an enemy in place, then set up Bolero of Fire and hold them still so they can't escape the fire damage.

YYYYYX = Prelude of Light: Puts a square of light on the ground. While standing in it, Sheik's special gauge fills. I don't think it charges allies' meters, only your own.

...so basically do one of those combos then hit Strong attack to cast the spell. Want Bolero of Fire? Hit YYX and then once you see the music note in red hit X to lay down the trap that does probably the most damage in the game. Want the water shield? Hit YX and then once you see the blue note below your gauge hit X again.

Sheik is probably the most brutal character I've ever seen in any musou title. She can charge her own gauge, trap enemies in place and then hit them with inescapable damage, and she can just flat out IGNORE damage and stack shields so not only can she yolo through crowds, but for a time it will hurt her opponents as well.

She can also dodge cancel much of her arsenal too for custom stuff ;)

2) Enemies do more damage, tend to have a bit better AI and offer up weakpoint opportunities less. Also I see more enemies sometimes.

3)Turn on Network Links...ALWAYS. When playing adventure mode maps you will see icons with levels over their heads. These are network links. If you go to those squares on the map you can fight a battle meant for the level character shown from the link. Why play these? Because the rewards are insanely good. Network Links will drop super powerful lvl 3 weapons for anyone you got lvl 3 with, rare materials, and other very very important stuff. ALWAYS FISH FOR THEM.

Holy shit, this can't be what you have to do for Agitha's rank 3. I pretty much had to spam dash cancelled combo III against a lizardfos the whole match. And cheese the commander with combo III also. Agitha may as well not have any other attacks. What a chore.

Her juggle (combo 2) is also ridiculously good (probably the best in the game). But yeah, combo 3 cancel is nuts. I have to wonder how intentional it is considering the slowdown when tons of beetles are onscreen...

Zant and Lana's portals are my favorites, and both have interesting mechanics that require a bit more thought than most other characters.

Zant has a bar that fills when mashing Strong attack after a combo, but if it overflows it leaves you wide open and empties. You then deplete this bar via his lone strong attack, which engages a mode where Normal shoots and Strong turns you into a blender. Besides ensuring it fills up as much as possible without overflowing, most of his combo enders are very powerful but uncancellable, so it's a nice risk/reward.

Lana with the SP summons a random boss with the strong attack, that attacks once: this gives you a temporary buff that makes a specific one of her combos more powerful. Unlike Agitha's beetle, her summons disappear shortly after she dodge cancels, so you can't cheese them as much. Besides she's just plain fun; I love her enhanced combo 5.

By the way, Lana with her default weapon is also interesting, in that you can cut your combo early to intentionally leave the light walls standing, to crash them with her Strong attack. Doing so with the combo that summons three that sweep forward is probably her best crowd-clearer, in fact.

I've been doing some more Adventure Mode lately, and as such, would appreciate some Network Links... anyone remember where that post with the spreadsheet of all the NNIDs went to? (my NNID is egallager, btw...)

NeonZ

I used the combo IV into hurricane (normal attack thrice then divebomb) to finish off the captains in that stage. You just need to start the combo out of range from them - most of the damage should come from them being trapped in the hurricane and hit by the butterfly. I was done with them fairly quickly like that.

In a master quest map the boss I fought was Impa armed with an 8-bit sword. Was that a glitch? I remember hearing about a glitch like that during the Japanese launch so it is possible that it was an intended homage to it (as the master quest came out after patches had fixed that).
It's not a glitch, Master Quest and especially Twilight Princess often seem to have enemy officers with swapped weapons. Master Quest mostly gives people the sword and shield or swaps Zelda's and Sheik's moves, but TP has some other variations, like Lana and Cia swapping weapons, Agitha with Lana's weapon and Zant with Ganondorf's. There was also Midna with sword and shield once.

Dreavus

I suppose I could have experimented a little bit more, the beetles were all I could get to be effective in my run through it.

I found that running that map multiple times has given me a better sense of how much one's allies can contribute without getting overwhelmed. At one point I was able to injure some of the objective enemies, leave to capture something else, and my allies were able to finish them off in a reasonable time (usually).

Oh well, finally finished all the weapons on adventure map 1. Is it worth trying to unlock that skill on the master sword? Does the master sword get any additional skill slots or does it do something else? At this rate my 5 star 8-bit seems a lot more powerful.

Top Bottom