• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

antibolo

Banned
Bought this game a couple of days ago and I think I already poured over a day's worth of time into it. It is just so fun. I hope Nintendo allows for another one to be made. I bought the DLC mega pack as well. The game is just super fun to play.
Also love playing as Ganondorf he just seems powerful while playing as him.

I want them to make Musous of all Nintendo franchises. I feel like you could slap that formula on any Nintendo franchise and it would somehow still work.

Mushroom Kingdom Warriors
Dreamland Warriors
Lylatt Warriors
Zebes Warriors
etc.

Simbabbad

I never got interested in Musou games enough to play one beyond trying a demo, but I guess that shamelessly slapping a Nintendo franchise on it is what was needed to convince me.
From what I gather, there's also the fact Zelda is a fantasy game where basically everything is permitted, whereas usual Musou games try to be somewhat realistic. This allows over the top characters and moves that are really more fun than in the average Musou. The Zelda settings really added a lot to the game IMO and freed the developer's creativity.

Currently I 100%'d Legend Mode, Adventure mode and Master Quest DLC, I'm currently on the Twilight Princess map. I'm still having tons of fun and I enjoy the new ideas of the Twilight Princess DLC, but like others here, I find the "come back when you're level 150" battles with damage sponges really annoying. It's the first time in the game I consciously play just to level up characters. Oh, well, I'm still addicted.

I'm hoping there's at least new arenas in the Majora's Mask DLC, two new arenas (since there are two arenas for each of OoT/TP/SS) would be great. Not much longer to wait to know what's in it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
From what I gather, there's also the fact Zelda is a fantasy game where basically everything is permitted, whereas usual Musou games try to be somewhat realistic. This allows over the top characters and moves that are really more fun than in the average Musou.

....What? looooool. Have ever played any musou whatsoever?

Simbabbad

"Realistic" is probably a bad term, but let's say it seems Hyrule Warriors is much more eccentric in characters and movesets, which allows for more variety. Honestly, I haven't really played other Musou games, but that's the impression what I saw of it left me, and mostly what friends really into the series told me when we discussed about it, they told me the "over the top" aspect the Zelda universe allows really added to the game. But if I'm mistaken, please correct me, no problem here.

In any case, the huge variety between different characters and weapons is what hooks me in this game most of all.

Platy

So ... how are the prices of this game going ?

Is it behaving like a Nintendo game and not dropping a cent or you can find cheaper than the eshop ?

shaowebb

The only Musou I want to see from nintendo at this point is pokemon

This is one of the most compelling things they could do. Team "___" grunts everywhere. Tons of pokemon to unlock. Movesets based on their possible moves. Heck even equipment and R1 style moves could be something from the games. I'd make the R1 moves come from a pool of general stuff like TM's or something.

Simbabbad

@Magnet_Man: yeah, but nothing to the extent of a midget riding a otherworldly wolf and capable of using her hair to form a giant fist, or a guy changing into a dragon, or summoning various bosses from a reality warp, or surfing on an electric gear, or a giant floating faery, or anything Zant does, etc.

Granted, "realistic" wasn't the right word to describe the usual Musou game, they do have eccentricities in the style of Hong Kong movies, but I guess you get my point. Does any of them really go as far as what's in Hyrule Warriors? Because that's really what makes a good chunk of the fun of the game to me, and keeps it being fresh even after two DLC.

After having so much fun with the game I looked a bit more into Musou games, and the various Let's Play I've watched and what friends told me let me think Hyrule Warriors is really special in that department (didn't look into One Piece Warriors).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
"Realistic" is probably a bad term, but let's say it seems Hyrule Warriors is much more eccentric in characters and movesets, which allows for more variety. Honestly, I haven't really played other Musou games, but that's the impression what I saw of it left me, and mostly what friends really into the series told me when we discussed about it, they told me the "over the top" aspect the Zelda universe allows really added to the game. But if I'm mistaken, please correct me, no problem here.
Realistic was a bad term. Sorry. The very premise of a musou game is to have one dude (or lady) mow down a hundred thousand mooks by him/herself like they were insects. At this point, whether or not those mooks are goblins or skeletons, or Chinese warriors of the antiquity, makes little difference.

Perhaps you meant to say that the aesthetic is more fantasy-ish, while other musou games have a more "grounded" look. But even that is kind of dubious. I mean sure, Midna and an army of skeletons is more over-the-top than a "generic" thunder spell or an army of human warriors, but that's like saying Star Wars is more grounded than Lords of the Rings because aliens and lightsabers are more plausible than orcs and magic rings. ;)

antibolo

Banned
I don't think a Pokémon Musou could work, because that would imply mauling hordes of Pokémon and I don't think Nintendo would approve of that, because there are no 100% "evil" Pokémon that would be acceptable targets for massacre.

zulux21

I don't think a Pokémon Musou could work, because that would imply mauling hordes of Pokémon and I don't think Nintendo would approve of that, because there are no 100% "evil" Pokémon that would be acceptable targets for massacre.

well pokemon musou was koei's first choice for a nintendo musou game. Nintendo didn't like the idea and instead had them make Pokemon Conquest.

From what I gather, there's also the fact Zelda is a fantasy game where basically everything is permitted, whereas usual Musou games try to be somewhat realistic. This allows over the top characters and moves that are really more fun than in the average Musou. The Zelda settings really added a lot to the game IMO and freed the developer's creativity.

....What? looooool. Have ever played any musou whatsoever?

Haha, I was reading through the dude's comment and I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught that.

Honestly, I haven't really played other Musou games

Please don't go on gaming forums and talk about games you've never played.

Simbabbad

Perhaps you meant to say that the aesthetic is more fantasy-ish, while other musou games have a more "grounded" look. But even that is kind of dubious. I mean sure, Midna and an army of skeletons is more over-the-top than a "generic" thunder spell or an army of human warriors, but that's like saying Star Wars is more grounded than Lords of the Rings because aliens and lightsabers are more plausible than orcs and magic rings. ;)
I explained above, I'm talking about the movesets, the spectacle that are the characters and weapons. Nothing I've seen in any Musou games is as spectacular and varied as the attacks you do in Hyrule Warriors, and friends who played to death nearly every Musou games agreed with this (even for Gundam Warriors). That's why I started my first post with "from what I gather". I feel than more than fan service, the Zelda settings allowed that creativity and the outrageousness of the action, which is something that makes a good chunk of the fun for me, even if I don't care all that much for the lore itself.

I that true or not? Because Magnet_Man's video kind of strengthened that feeling (which I had after watching many Musou videos).

@LonelyGreyWolf: I don't think that at this point being aggressive is warranted. I already said "realistic" was probably a bad term, but I guess you see my point. So, are other Musou games as much eccentric, especially in the attacks you do, than Hyrule Warriors? Because if I was wrong, I'd really like to know (and then, my bad, but it was a honest mistake, I should have made clearer it was a speculation than just saying "from what I gather").

Golnei

The OoT / MM costumes are a nice addition, but those characters...

Understandable choices, given their prominence in the series as a whole, but some combination of the Happy Mask Salesman / Majora itself / Deku Butler / Romani & Cremia / Skull Kid would have been so much better...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=147382538

What can I say, gentlemen? I'm kind of disappointed. Young Link is a kind of boring choice and from what little I saw of the combos they both seem slow and weak; though hopefully that was just their weakest attack chains. Young Link can transform to Fierce Deity for a "short time"? Not sure if that's using a meter or if it happens on certain combo trees. He also had that yellow mask on his body; maybe he'll use that in some move.

Oh and OP will be updated later.

Updated OP.

Young Link and Tingle are the new characters for the Majora's Mask pack! Releases Feb 5th for NA, unsure when for Europe, probably same date.

Young Link is totally cute though.

b97116a3cb48596becef7b48b10d4389.png

Becomes Fierce Deity Link temporarily (unsure if this only happens during special attacks/when some meter is filled or if it's part of regular combos too).

32c8dde3c59a79a54727b5dc8d99c576.png

And Tingle is also totally... cute. Hmm.

3b0a9777b5e6b009c01bb8cb5bfffbc9.png

1c4e751477e7d469349b700f3a2ddaf9.png

Three new costumes. Speculation: Ocarina of Time Sheik costume for Sheik, Skull Kid costume for Lana or Zelda and Ocarina of Time Impa costume for Impa.

e98ae3dcf3d6f99502596b655f2926e6.png

King Leo

Neo Member
I'm absolutely loving this game so far. Really keeps me invested. I'll probably put more time into this than I did with DW8.

Any tips on defeating Volga when he's on evil steroids? I need to for one of the skulltulas in Legend Mode.. with Lana.. and her (rank 1) Deku Spear. :(

shaowebb

Repost from the other thread (click to enlarge):

Oh lord no not Tingle.
Wait...if Tingle is in then that means there is no longer a reason for stylized characters to not be included in further installments which means I can hope for Linebeck now...

Young Link turns into Fierce Deity Link? Thats cool at least.

Skullkid alt?

Huh? This was not at all what I expected. Color me shocked.

Simbabbad

I'm really surprised, but pleased. I much more prefer young Link to adult Link, and the moveset seems fun. Tingle looks more fun than what Skull Kid would probably have been, and the Majora's Mask moon is already used in the Great Faery moveset and the hookshot anyway, so... Of course, having him as an additional character would have been nice, but I prefer the two we get.

I'm more concerned about the new map. If it doesn't feature new arenas, I hope there's at least new fun rules, and that they won't raise the maximum level again.

shaowebb

I think that's Lana as Skullkid, Ocarina of Time Sheik and Ocarina of Time Impa alts.

If I'm right Skullkid summoning gate party.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I only have the rank 1 Deku. I'm not pro enough to take down a powered up Volga with it. Guess I'll have to wait til I find its 3rd rank.

Yeah I went and got everyone's weapons first. If you want to cheese those missions in adventure just play as link with player 2 and put the required character in a safe spot

Trike

DLC seems kinda cool, even though I am not really a fan of tingle. Just not very Majora's Mask themed I guess? I mean if the costumes are really Impa and Sheik, at least. Was hoping for more focus on Masks for Young Link, though maybe when it comes out I will be surprised.

I think that's Lana as Skullkid, Ocarina of Time Sheik and Ocarina of Time Impa alts.

If I'm right Skullkid summoning gate party.

Eh? I really don't want to be rude but you're just copying what me and most others said ;b And it's also really obvious, except for the Skull Kid costume.

shaowebb

Eh? I really don't want to be rude but you're just copying what me and most others said ;b And it's also really obvious, except for the Skull Kid costume.
Where did this come from?
I have no idea what you're talking about. I got home at 2:30 ish yesterday, watched the recording of the direct and posted my impressions right after. I did't really have time to read whatever you're talking about and copy it.

But hey if it makes you feel better believe what you want. Sometimes folks just post what they think for themselves. I ain't reddit.

shaowebb

...YOU'RE NOT!?

Lol. Nope.
Just a dude who apparently must be having similar thoughts to everyone else after this announcement. I knew Tingle was a high possibility and had braced for it, but I was certain Skullkid was coming in this wave too. Never suspected Young Link...this one will probably have a reaction from some folks akin to the "Megaman still aint in Marvel" posts from the UMVC3 days.

When hypes run high it can sometimes backfire if it under delivers the markets expectations. Another Link plus Tingle isn't sitting well with some of the louder angrier gamers out there. At least its a gateway character addition that gives us reason to hope for the handheld universe cast and Wind Waker stuff in sequels though.

Top Bottom