• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

shaowebb

Anyone else catch how the gimmick for Ghirahim's targeting moveset came about? Ghirahim in Skyward Sword kept mentioning being connected by "a thread of fate" to Link.

They took that obscure dialogue and just sort of ran with it. Damn Koei...props to your creative team on this one.

Ryce

Anyone else catch how the gimmick for Ghirahim's targeting moveset came about? Ghirahim in Skyward Sword kept mentioning being connected by "a thread of fate" to Link.

They took that obscure dialogue and just sort of ran with it. Damn Koei...props to your creative team on this one.
There are a bunch of obscure moveset references in this game. I almost want to put together a list or guide of them all, but that seems like an incredible waste of time.

There are a bunch of obscure moveset references in this game. I almost want to put together a list or guide of them all, but that seems like an incredible waste of time.
No, don't think of it as a waste of time! Do it! I'd be interested to read it, at least...

Mesoian

NOPE. These fairy hunter missions are garbage.

"Hey, you need to be a specific place at a specific time, but were not going to tell you where that place is or when you need to be there, and you only have 30 seconds to figure it out. GOOD LUCK!"

Fuck off.

Ryce

No, don't think of it as a waste of time! Do it! I'd be interested to read it, at least...
Here's a quick and easy one to kick things off. Attacks not mentioned were invented for Hyrule Warriors.

Ganondorf

Golnei

Here's a quick and easy one to kick things off. Attacks not mentioned were invented for Hyrule Warriors.

Ganondorf

I'd also ascribe the framing of his horse in the character intro scene to his introduction in OoT. Slightly more tenuous, but the shadow Ganon attacks might also be intended to be an amalgamation of the Phantom Ganon concept with the visual appearance of the Nightmare from Link's Awakening, and his Weak Point Smash could be an interpretation of the Wind Waker backhand.

Rafavert

Ganondorf

Nice work!

Personally my favourite case is Zant. I know many people hate using him (I, for one, embrace my new Twillight overlord), but if there's a character whose essence was perfectly captured in HW, it's him. His attacks are pretty much all things he uses ingame and even his red bar mechanic fits his regal/maniac persona perfectly.

Nice work!

Personally my favourite case is Zant. I know many people hate using him (I, for one, embrace my new Twillight overlord), but if there's a character whose essence was perfectly captured in HW, it's him. His attacks are pretty much all things he uses ingame and even his red bar mechanic fits his regal/maniac persona perfectly.

I love Zant and actually find him to be quite powerful if used well. He may not hit like a truck but he has several moves that make him essentially invulnerable during them.

Rafavert

I love Zant and actually find him to be quite powerful if used well. He may not hit like a truck but he has several moves that make him essentially invulnerable during them.

I'm a fan of his too =p
I think his sole problem is the fact that we're sort of forced to use up his bar. The spinning is quite nice for crowd clearing, but the shooting isn't all that powerful.

Simbabbad

I'm a fan of his too =p
I think his sole problem is the fact that we're sort of forced to use up his bar. The spinning is quite nice for crowd clearing, but the shooting isn't all that powerful.
The spinning is excellent to gather enemies and fill the special attack gauge: spin + A at the end gives good results in my experience.
Shooting seems to work better on some specific enemies, I'm not sure, but sometimes I've been surprised against main character opponents (light enemies, probably).

I'm a fan of his too =p

The spinning is definitely the most fun of the two, but iirc the shooting can work alright too.

Spinning = crowd control.
Shooting = single enemy.

All weapons in adventure mode obtained. I now find myself asking why as I don't plan on unsealing the master sword (as powerful as it may be I prefer having skills) nor using the great fairy or summoning gate ever again.

Master Quest is almost finished too, I've got to the final boss square and have one weapon left to get but need a few compass to continue with those.

Yeah both adventures have lots of other things to collect but my main goals are beating the map and getting all the weapons.

CorvoSol

Ugh, these final levels of adventure mode are a pain. Still need both of Zelda's level 3s, both of Lana's, the level 3 Fairy and Agitha and Darunia's. I assume level 50 is good enough for Darunia and Agitha, but after that I'm probably going to have to grind Link, Zelda and Lana up to 70 or 80

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yeah both adventures have lots of other things to collect but my main goals are beating the map and getting all the weapons.

I get heart pieces when they're easy, but when I have to search or a-rank for them, I don't try too hard. The only things I really care about getting on the adventure maps at this point are the new weapons and the costumes. Skulltullas... will probably skip most.

All weapons, all costumes, beat all missions. Fair enough goal I feel like. I still haven't finished the first map though. D:

Neiteio

I get heart pieces when they're easy, but when I have to search or a-rank for them, I don't try too hard. The only things I really care about getting on the adventure maps at this point are the new weapons and the costumes. Skulltullas... will probably skip most.

All weapons, all costumes, beat all missions. Fair enough goal I feel like. I still haven't finished the first map though. D:
This is more or less my goal for the game, as well. And I prioritize costumes I really want. Like I'm gunning for the pink Ruto on the Twilight Princess map right now.

I'm half-tempted to seek out more skulltulas, though, if only for the boost in potion efficacy.

Ugh, these final levels of adventure mode are a pain. Still need both of Zelda's level 3s, both of Lana's, the level 3 Fairy and Agitha and Darunia's. I assume level 50 is good enough for Darunia and Agitha, but after that I'm probably going to have to grind Link, Zelda and Lana up to 70 or 80

I was well above 70 for Agitha as I mentioned above. She's by far the hardest. For Lana'a L3 Gate I was around 80, but it was mostly because it took me a while to figure out that you NEED to take full advantage of the Gate's "double power" mechanic. Remember to use the EXP potion for your attempts so that even if you fail the mission, you'll get a lot of experience and be stronger for the next attempt.

Rafavert

For Agitha: Use the boomerang!

This video helped me a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPX8Na5tGuc

For lv3 fairy I'd strongly suggest using the sp potion. It's the fastest way to clear mobs with her (even though her combos make you invincible, they're rather slow and you end up failing because of the time) and remember that her Y sacrifices defense (you will be taking 75% additional damage! be careful!) for additional offensive power. I got all weapons with characters lv65 at most.

shaowebb

BTW for the Great Fairy moveset try out the rupee competitions. She is incredibly safe with her armored startup and recovery on her animations and her area affect just strips the field for rupees. Great character for that stuff...otherwise ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Ozium

twice I have failed to unlock weapons in the OG adventure mode map due to being 3-6 seconds over the time limit...

the rage is real

The spinning is excellent to gather enemies and fill the special attack gauge: spin + A at the end gives good results in my experience.
Shooting seems to work better on some specific enemies, I'm not sure, but sometimes I've been surprised against main character opponents (light enemies, probably).

This, also the spinning is great to deplete weak point gauges.

I did all lv3 weapon missions before the 50s...

Rafavert

This, also the spinning is great to deplete weak point gauges.

The shooting has been buffed. It's great to deplete weak point gauges now (at least normal enemies. didnt try it on giant bosses yet).

Hooray! Got all skulltulas on Adventure map! now all there is left is the heart containers... which I'm unlikely to bother with. It was actually easier than I expected.

Zimmy64

Got this game on Monday and played the first mission. Now I'm completely addicted and have only been playing for about 25 hours. I even bought the Link Amibo just for the spinner (which is incredible). I haven't even touched co-op yet.

Rafavert

Got this game on Monday and played the first mission. Now I'm completely addicted and have only been playing for about 25 hours. I even bought the Link Amibo just for the spinner (which is incredible). I haven't even touched co-op yet.

Co-op makes the game run at a lower resolution, but damn, is it fun...!

Neiteio

*jacknicholsonnod.gif*

Good. Gooooooood.

Last night, I played co-op with a friend. Got Ruto's Water Dragon Scale, Lana's Faron Spear, Link's Magical Rod, and Link's Power Gloves. Also learned how to use Zant and Agitha (the latter is SO MUCH better than I originally thought), and made like 500,000+ rupees.

It was a good night.

Bert409

Am I the only one finding this game really fucking hard? It was always insists on being so goddamn overwhelming. There's too many Bombchu and Bombchu operators to kill in this Death Mountain level and not nearly enough time....

Am I the only one finding this game really fucking hard? It was always insists on being so goddamn overwhelming. There's too many Bombchu and Bombchu operators to kill in this Death Mountain level and not nearly enough time....

It's about priorities. Are you talking about the Death Mountain level in Legend Mode? If you are, forget the Bombchu, and go for the Bombchu operators. Killing them will change the Bombchu to being under your control. And make sure to always control those two keeps that send boulders at your base.

Effect

So the MM's pack came out in North America right? Not seeing any of it in my game and I'm sure the update was downloaded. Anyone encounter this?

Edit: Nevermind. It seems the update was downloaded but wasn't installing for some reason. Finally installed.

I need to find a day when no one will bother me so I can finish up more of these adventure maps. To many distractions. I have almost all of the original done now. Finally unlocked Agitha but and have one more character unlock to go. Would like to finish off this map soon so I can start on the others.

I'm figure the other maps assume you are at a certain level when it comes to the health of the boss, how hard enemies hit, etc. What level ranges do you think it would be good to start tackling some of the other maps?

On another note. The spinner feels insanely OP and I don't think I like that. At least how this particular weapon feels power wise. Then again maybe my Link is to powerful for the stages I was in but I doubt as he's only 52. Yeah I really need to play more.

. I'm figure the other maps assume you are at a certain level when it comes to the health of the boss, how hard enemies hit, etc. What level ranges do you think it would be good to start tackling some of the other maps?

Difficulty wise, the Master Quest map can be done right after, the original. I'd do Termina after that, and save TP for last. The TP map is incredibly difficult, and probably more difficult than the Termina map. That's just my opinion of course.

CorvoSol

I was well above 70 for Agitha as I mentioned above. She's by far the hardest. For Lana'a L3 Gate I was around 80, but it was mostly because it took me a while to figure out that you NEED to take full advantage of the Gate's "double power" mechanic. Remember to use the EXP potion for your attempts so that even if you fail the mission, you'll get a lot of experience and be stronger for the next attempt.

I'm done with everyone but Agitha now. Lana and Zelda were both about level 70, Darunia was level 60, Link was level 90.

Great Fairy's problem wasn't damage received or dealt, just taken. Lana's Gate levels blow because getting enough kills was always a pain. Once I got the dragon riding thing to start working, she came along. Zelda's problem is that the Wind Waker is easily her crummiest weapon/I didn't realize that racking up 1000 KOs would be the best bet. For Darunia, grabbing the keeps and then building up kills was the way to go.

Great Fairy I had to use a constantly replenishing SP thing to make it go faster.

Agitha I'm honestly not having too much trouble with. The two tries I did I failed the first and cleared the second. The first I failed because those Manhandalas took down the base before I could get back. The second I a-ranked damage dealt and time spent, but I took 15000 damage so there was nothing for it. She's only level 45, though, so maybe building her up will beef her up?

For Agitha: Use the boomerang!

This video helped me a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPX8Na5tGuc

For lv3 fairy I'd strongly suggest using the sp potion. It's the fastest way to clear mobs with her (even though her combos make you invincible, they're rather slow and you end up failing because of the time) and remember that her Y sacrifices defense (you will be taking 75% additional damage! be careful!) for additional offensive power. I got all weapons with characters lv65 at most.

The boomerang might help me cut down on damage taken, yeah. As to the Great Fairy, I tended to only use her Y to land the bomb-combo, which I found best for basically all situations not involving a moon.

I think the lowest I've cleared one is Fi's, at below level 40 (like, 30-35?), but some of them I dunno. Part of the leveling up comes from the numerous failed runs trying to figure out how the heck I need to do the level to not lose the Allied Base.

daydream

Banned
Btw can we say with certainty that the enemy amount is lower in GamePad mode? I read as such somewhere but I hadn't noticed it myself. I did stop playing on the GamePad after that, though, don't want to make A ranks harder than necessary.

Btw can we say with certainty that the enemy amount is lower in GamePad mode? I read as such somewhere but I hadn't noticed it myself. I did stop playing on the GamePad after that, though, don't want to make A ranks harder than necessary.

It's much lower on coop mode, along with other performance downgrades (resolution and FPS), because the Wii U has to render two scenes at once. Gamepad itself has nothing to do with it (if you play solo it's sttll just one scene even though it's sent to both TV and gamepad), though obviously in coop one of the players needs to use it anyway.

daydream

Banned
It's much lower on coop mode, along with other performance downgrades (resolution and FPS), because the Wii U has to render two scenes at once. Gamepad itself has nothing to do with it (if you play solo it's sttll just one scene even though it's sent to both TV and gamepad), though obviously in coop one of the players needs to use it anyway.

Yeah, I wasn't referring to co-op, though, but playing solo on the Gamepad. So the enemy count is not lower?

Quick question about Link amiibo, does it just unlock the spinner the first time only?

Meaning the next day it'll be a random drop like others?

Need to see if I need to borrow just Link or Link plus one from my friend (since I have four amiibos on my own).

TheMoon

Quick question about Link amiibo, does it just unlock the spinner the first time only?

Meaning the next day it'll be a random drop like others?

Need to see if I need to borrow just Link or Link plus one from my friend (since I have four amiibos on my own).

stole this from the giantbomb wiki
  • When either the Link or Toon Link Amiibo is used, the Spinner from Twilight Princess is unlocked as a weapon.
  • Scanning the Zelda or Sheik Amiibo will award players with a random weapon rated three stars or higher.
  • When any other figure is used, the player will receive either a weapon rated three stars or lower, crafting materials or rupees (even just one rupee)

additionally, after the initial Spinner unlock, both Link amiibo function like the Zelda or Sheik amiibo in that they give out random three stars+ weapons, though the Link amiibo are the only ones that can give the Spinner as one of the random unlocks.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Finally ;-;

zlCfzTAafuYAWGOhq9

Finished with Link around 70, everyone else in the 40s and 50s. Got all weapons, but certainly not all hearts/skulltullas. On to DLC maps, I guess!! Maybe after Majora's Mask.

But so someone said Agatha ISN'T a total piece of crap, care to elaborate? Her hits require such close proximity and there's such lag between them, I was getting totally destroyed by dinolfos on her last level. And I finish her C4 and C5 with the butterfly, but I can't make that thing do anything worth a damn besides just crash back into the ground. When I hit x on it it flaps and makes wind and the wind doesn't even do anything. I used her C3 a lot at the end but even that ain't so great really.

Finally ;-;

zlCfzTAafuYAWGOhq9

Finished with Link around 70, everyone else in the 40s and 50s. Got all weapons, but certainly not all hearts/skulltullas. On to DLC maps, I guess!! Maybe after Majora's Mask.

But so someone said Agatha ISN'T a total piece of crap, care to elaborate? Her hits require such close proximity and there's such lag between them, I was getting totally destroyed by dinolfos on her last level. And I finish her C4 and C5 with the butterfly, but I can't make that thing do anything worth a damn besides just crash back into the ground. When I hit x on it it flaps and makes wind and the wind doesn't even do anything. I used her C3 a lot at the end but even that ain't so great really.

For groups of enemies: C2, dodge cancel, repeat. You can stack several beetles and keep everyone permajugged if you do it right.
For captains: Either C1, repeat, or C1, normal combo (if it keeps them afloat), repeat. Agitha has probably the best launcher in the game.
Avoid her giant butterfly shenanigans if you can, they're pretty much useless indeed. Which is unfortunate because they're both her strong attack mechanic and her finishers for several combos. The problem with Agitha is not that she's bad, it's that she's repetitive and boring if you play her to win. With any luck further patches will buff her butterfly stuff.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Right, sorry. I've always thought of them as "how many weak attacks there are", rather than total attacks. It's weird for me that there's no C1, unless you call strong attack that (but then, that's not really a combo, is it). :)

Yup strong attack by itself is C1

It doesn't stand for combo. It's for Charge Attack

Right, sorry. I've always thought of them as "how many weak attacks there are", rather than total attacks. It's weird for me that there's no C1, unless you call strong attack that (but then, that's not really a combo, is it). :)

C1 IS the regular strong attack (Link's spin attack with the sword, Ruto's waves, Ghirahim's string attachment, etc). Think of it more like the number indicates which button press should be the first strong attack in the combo. So C1 means you press the strong attack button on the first button press. C2 would be pressing the strong attack button on the second total button press. So Agitha's C1 would be the Strong Attack button as the first button pressed, which is her riding the butterfly.

Rafavert

stole this from the giantbomb wiki
  • When either the Link or Toon Link Amiibo is used, the Spinner from Twilight Princess is unlocked as a weapon.
  • Scanning the Zelda or Sheik Amiibo will award players with a random weapon rated three stars or higher.
  • When any other figure is used, the player will receive either a weapon rated three stars or lower, crafting materials or rupees (even just one rupee)

additionally, after the initial Spinner unlock, both Link amiibo function like the Zelda or Sheik amiibo in that they give out random three stars+ weapons, though the Link amiibo are the only ones that can give the Spinner as one of the random unlocks.

I'd like to add that the Link Amiibo only gives you Link weapons. Either that or I'm extremely unlucky...!

shaowebb

Holy crap did I ever find the perfect way to troll The Imprisoned (The slip N slide champion lol)

Great. Fairy.

Tons of invulnerability and her moves hit so hard and have so much area of effect that her C3 on through the rest oneshot off ALL his toes. Just mash dodgeroll at the end and use the Bomb (C4) string the most and you get through with no health lost, very little effort, and Slip N Slide champ hardly getting a breather.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Holy crap did I ever find the perfect way to troll The Imprisoned (The slip N slide champion lol)

Great. Fairy.

Tons of invulnerability and her moves hit so hard and have so much area of effect that her C3 on through the rest oneshot off ALL his toes. Just mash dodgeroll at the end and use the Bomb (C4) string the most and you get through with no health lost, very little effort, and Slip N Slide champ hardly getting a breather.

Ganondorf is another winner, his C1 will kill all the toes, and you can fill the bar fully by charging any of his later combos. Before I knew that, Sheik was my best bet, I'd do her last combo to fill up her special bar and use the special to kill the toes.

CorvoSol

Got all the weapons, hunting costumes in Master Quest, now. Cia, Volga and Wizzro all have shit weapons. Do I need to do their story to unlock better weapons for them?

Top Bottom