• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

Rafavert

I need to fight some friend links for that sweet sweet dosh... please add me

my NNID is PleaseUnderstand

I'll add ya tonight (NNID Rafavert)

Guys, I'd like to ask for an opinion.

What's the best way to get endgame weapons, and what's an endgame weapon anyway? 420, 8 slots, legendary? And what would be the best skills?
Say, for example, for Midna (one of my mains) I was thinking something like:

Darkness+ (I find this to be quite nice)
Combo III
Combo V
MAYBE Combo IV
Legendary
Hasty
Insta kill (What exactly does this skill? I heard it does additional damage on generals)
????

Also, I've used the "clean" 280 tier 3 weapons to create farming ones (EXP+, Material+, Slots+, Stars+, Rupees+). Is having Materials+ and Slots/Stars+ together conterproductive? As in, Materials+ increases odds of better drops, but does that mean that weapons are less likely to drop? Been wondering this for a while now.

Thanks for the help!

I had a trilling fight for the 8-bit Zelda White Sword. I first thought I'd taken too much damage then it was a speed run and the boss is the Imprisoned. I won with 3 seconds left on the clock and had gotten the A-rank. Then the stupid Imprisoned gave me a gold material. Yeah yeah 3 potions etc is nice but not when you have characters missing key skills because the imprisoned is rarely thought and doesn't always drop materials (the vs two w/Ghirahim one always drops at least one weapon for me)

the one thing that pisses me off about Adventure Mode (at least the OG) one is the amount of grinding required... not grinding to level your character or farming for weapons/rupees but grinding for adventure mode items... 5-6 places to use a harp... yet a harp only shows up on 2 stages
Remember that items respwan when adjacent maps are played (this can also restore random items) but yeah grinding for compass is annoying, especially master quest where you have hidden enemies that you have to use recorders on things like bushes or random bits of floor to reveal.

The Majora's Mask map is nasty in this regard. It is kind of linear but there are lots of roadblocks. The fact all but one of the Goron masks requires Goron or Zora masks to get and any or the Zora masks require Goron or Zora masks to get for example.

Mama cucco can fuck right off. Shows up and within half a heartbeat her chick dies because she's a terrible parent. Then she takes it out on me? Oh heeeeeeeeeeeell naw. We are gonna throw down mama cucco and you about to hear some shit you don't wanna admit whilst I slap your stupid ass around this field.
The Cucco Chicks much like bombarding stalks spawn in random places so sometimes you end up eating lots of time of facing the wrath of the chickens to no fault of your own.

What's the best way to get endgame weapons, and what's an endgame weapon anyway? 420, 8 slots, legendary? And what would be the best skills?
Say, for example, for Midna (one of my mains) I was thinking something like:

Darkness+ (I find this to be quite nice)
Combo III
Combo V
MAYBE Combo IV
Legendary
Hasty
Insta kill (What exactly does this skill? I heard it does additional damage on generals)
????

Also, I've used the "clean" 280 tier 3 weapons to create farming ones (EXP+, Material+, Slots+, Stars+, Rupees+). Is having Materials+ and Slots/Stars+ together conterproductive? As in, Materials+ increases odds of better drops, but does that mean that weapons are less likely to drop? Been wondering this for a while now.

Thanks for the help!
Red squares and level 3 weapon missions are the best bet to find weapons. Also always be using a slots+ potion. Slots+ and stars+ help on weapons help too.

Legednary isn't a particularly worthwhile skill if you ask me as 30 power means a lot less with 200 characters levels and those 4000 kill skills are much better usage of a slot (you can pick two, finishing blow+ should be very nice). Sadly you do need to unseal it to be delete it.

I thought instant kill just means sometime instantly killing grunts who usually die in three hits anyway so for 3000 skills I'd either go with no healing or Compatriot depending on how you feel (if you really need to heal a level is going badly end of but the safety net is nice).

There's a level where you have to use Fi to go through three keeps and kill a bunch of captains, and the last keep is a big Imprisoned and two little ones. Maybe I was super underleveled, but I had to go through the weak point gauge cycle three times to kill him. After his second weak point gauge, he generates lightning throughout the whole keep, not just around his feet. It seems unavoidable. How do you defend against that?

I got through the early parts of that level with enough health to kill him easily and I satisfied the requirements of the stage, but that just really seems unfair. I hope he doesn't show up on a Super Devastating map or something like that later on.

NeonZ

There's a level where you have to use Fi to go through three keeps and kill a bunch of captains, and the last keep is a big Imprisoned and two little ones. Maybe I was super underleveled, but I had to go through the weak point gauge cycle three times to kill him. After his second weak point gauge, he generates lightning throughout the whole keep, not just around his feet. It seems unavoidable. How do you defend against that?

It's very easy, actually, stay under him.

Rafavert

Red squares and level 3 weapon missions are the best bet to find weapons. Also always be using a slots+ potion. Slots+ and stars+ help on weapons help too.

Legednary isn't a particularly worthwhile skill if you ask me as 30 power means a lot less with 200 characters levels and those 4000 kill skills are much better usage of a slot (you can pick two, finishing blow+ should be very nice). Sadly you do need to unseal it to be delete it.

I thought instant kill just means sometime instantly killing grunts who usually die in three hits anyway so for 3000 skills I'd either go with no healing or Compatriot depending on how you feel (if you really need to heal a level is going badly end of but the safety net is nice).

Thanks for the tips! Not really eager to do 25000 kills per weapon.... No Healing seems quite nice since we ought to avoid taking damage to begin with.

I got through the early parts of that level with enough health to kill him easily and I satisfied the requirements of the stage, but that just really seems unfair. I hope he doesn't show up on a Super Devastating map or something like that later on.

I usually save my special gauge for after he starts releasing the shock wave. It's safe enough to knock him down before that.

As for the lightning, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe staying on the move should keep you safe. The lightning on the floor doesn't do damage, only the striking one that comes at the end does (I think).

Yeah, Legendary is pretty much useless on a tier 3 weapon. Defenseless is another option for the 3k skill. I'd put it and No Healing in the top tier (No Healing is still very slightly better unless you want to pair them with Heart-Strong, but if your style doesn't included blocking, uh, ever then Defenseless works just as well) with Compatriot below them due to not always having the boost from it. They may also want to include one of the more useful Vs.Skills, such Vs. Undead, Vs. Dragon, or Vs. Soldier.

Rafavert

Yeah, Legendary is pretty much useless on a tier 3 weapon. Defenseless is another option for the 3k skill. I'd put it and No Healing in the top tier (No Healing is still very slightly better unless you want to pair them with Heart-Strong, but if your style doesn't included blocking, uh, ever then Defenseless works just as well) with Compatriot below them due to not always having the boost from it. They may also want to include one of the more useful Vs.Skills, such Vs. Undead, Vs. Dragon, or Vs. Soldier.

I defend fairly often, which is why I didn't consider Defenseless. I guess I'll go for No Healing, Compatriot and all those 3 Vs Skills (all of them include annoying foes, Poes, Volga/Lizalfos and Moblins respectively).

Is there a limit to how many 3k/4k skills we can have on a weapon?

I defend fairly often, which is why I didn't consider Defenseless. I guess I'll go for No Healing, Compatriot and all those 3 Vs Skills (all of them include annoying foes, Poes, Volga/Lizalfos and Moblins respectively).

Is there a limit to how many 3k/4k skills we can have on a weapon?

Yeah, if you defend a lot then Defenseless isn't really an option and No Healing is the way to go.

Sadly, you can only have 1 each of the 2k (Vs.) and 3k skills. You can only have 2 of the 4k skills.

So you'd want (based on what you put originally):
- Darkness+
- No Healing/Compatriot
- A Vs. Skill
- Hasty
- Finishing Blow+ (Unless you want to go full "I'll never get hit" and take Heart-Strong)
- Strength III+ (or whatever the weird official name for combos is)
- Strength V+
- Strength IV+(?)

Rafavert

Yeah, if you defend a lot then Defenseless isn't really an option and No Healing is the way to go.

Sadly, you can only have 1 each of the 2k (Vs.) and 3k skills. You can only have 2 of the 4k skills.

So you'd want (based on what you put originally):
- Darkness+
- No Healing/Compatriot
- A Vs. Skill
- Hasty
- Finishing Blow+ (Unless you want to go full "I'll never get hit" and take Heart-Strong)
- Strength III+ (or whatever the weird official name for combos is)
- Strength V+
- Strength IV+(?)

I had no idea of those limits... Thanks!

What about the 1k skills? Are they also limited to 1?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

For the longest time I didn't know you even COULD defend. The only thing I ever do is dodge.

Do defenseless and no-healing stack? Cause I could definitely see putting em both on a weapon.

For the longest time I didn't know you even COULD defend. The only thing I ever do is dodge.

Do defenseless and no-healing stack? Cause I could definitely see putting em both on a weapon.

Unfortunately, you can only have a single 3k ability on a weapon, so you cannot stack them.

Ryce

I really want the Spinner, but I don't want to buy an amiibo (toys/collectibles just aren't my thing). That damn "????????" in Link's weapon list is taunting me mercilessly.

shaowebb

Whew...finally got through the maze of finding the first mask. Go up the middle north and head east for the Goron mask. From there in the middle to the west is a stage right below 2 zora masks. Use the Goron mask there to open the path to zora masks. From there get some zora masks (FINALLY!)

After that dealers choice, but the eastern owl will trick you...once you unlock the stage it has an object that you need to use a stick on to get the enemies revealed and activate the owl. There is only 1 stick I believe...use it in the wrong place and you can't get this owl.

Termina you so cray.

Lol.

Because the average friend has amiibos. I only know one person in "real life" who even has a Wii U. I don't know anyone who has an amiibo, and I probably never will.

I know a friend who has a Fox amiibo... and no WiiU or 3DS. Conversely, I have another friend with a WiiU and HW, but no amiibos. I unlocked the spinner for him last Sunday. :)

daydream

Banned

This is one of those squares that really stumped me early on (pretty sure I posted about it here). I should try again now that I have Fi's lvl 2 weapon.

It's very easy, actually, stay under him.

Uh, could you elaborate on this? So, standing under him while he fills the keep with lightning is safe?

jlscool

Uh, could you elaborate on this? So, standing under him while he fills the keep with lightning is safe?

Correct, that is the time to take out his toes safely and his lighting will not hurt you. Once he is done and goes back to walking, then you need to get away from him again.

Simbabbad

Lol.

Because the average friend has amiibos. I only know one person in "real life" who even has a Wii U. I don't know anyone who has an amiibo, and I probably never will.
You don't have kids in your family? Or have friends who have kids? Because Link amiibos are pretty common among kids.

But please, go ahead with your contempt on someone who tried to help. I don't care.

Beat the Termina map, and I did it on one cycle (after the first, obviously).

I'm definitely going to take a break from Hyrule Warriors though. I still love it, but damn TP map and Termina map wore me out. That, and I know that to completely clear those maps I'll need to grind my characters a bit. 100-120 just won't cut it for A ranks anymore. I'll come back when I feel ready for that.

Simbabbad

@Beren: same here. Beating Termina before the first cycle ends is very easy, but the A ranks require a lot of grinding, and I also chose to take a break.

I'll be interested to see how far the following youtube channel gets with Termina (they're nearly done now but I don't think they've shown videos of every stage):
https://www.youtube.com/user/GraphyteRonin/videos
From what I've watched they tend to be near level 100 and it is worth noting there are some squares which are not A ranks (woodfall and great bay temple for example, snowhead was a B-rank first time and getting the A-rank meant the channel was forced to unlock a 4000 KO skill).

But yes I've heard plenty of horror stories of giant bosses who take several WPS to finally go down (and experienced a few myself, it is a good thing I mostly don't care for A-rank rewards). Research on the Twilight map showed vs. skills become more effective in harder maps so perhaps a similar thing is happening here in that enemies with more buffed defence results in weapons skills becoming stronger against them.

shaowebb

@Beren: same here. Beating Termina before the first cycle ends is very easy, but the A ranks require a lot of grinding, and I also chose to take a break.

This. I'm finding if you ain't hit level 100's with your character you may as well call for backup because you won't be getting enough damage on some of these stages to A rank. You'll take too long on the officers and leave your base in trouble or just plain lose the rank to time.

Currently powerleveling stuff myself with the wife. Ghirahim is 150, and Link is 120, but the rest are like...80 to 60. Time to play the cast some more.

Victrix

*beard*
Decided to pick this up, damn this downloads slow.

Anything I should absolutely know or do going in blind?

And should I grab the DLC immediately, or wait till I've played vanilla for awhile?

And should I grab the DLC immediately, or wait till I've played vanilla for awhile?
Always go in blind, have fun.

If this is your first Warriors game, play a few rounds (a couple in Legend, a couple in Adventure), then decide on the DLC.

The season pass is a good value, most of it is Adventure Mode related, and I liked being able to unlock costumes and stuff before finishing Story Mode (Purple Link represent).

Decided to pick this up, damn this downloads slow.

I would actually wait. The DLC is awesome but it's even better when you're running out of things to do, otherwise it might be a bit overwhelming. Jump back and forth between Legend and Adventure for now, particularly whenever you feel underleveled in one of the modes (jump to the other).

Simbabbad

This. I'm finding if you ain't hit level 100's with your character you may as well call for backup because you won't be getting enough damage on some of these stages to A rank.
The worst are the maps with the Giants as rewards. The map is difficult but doable, and then a boss is called, and good God... it takes a completely over the top level of damage, even at level 150 it takes ages and is very repetitive.
I sped up levelling with some characters thanks to the splitting Ganondorf and Fay on the Twilight Princess map and the bottom left map on Master Quest, but the same missions over and over just to level up... erk.

The game would have been SO MUCH better if they hadn't raised the max level and tuned the levels accordingly. A damage sponge boss isn't difficult, it's tedious.

Still love the game, but this is really its main flaw.

NeonZ

I'm confused about the DLC for this game. If I buy the $19.99 pack, do I get everything there is? Is it worth it?

If you enjoy the Adventure mode, it's worth it. Otherwise, it isn't. There are a few extra story chapters, but the core of the DLC with hours or playability is all more Adventure mode maps and battles. There are new characters and weapons too, which yet again you'll mostly use in the Adventure mode.

Neiteio

If you enjoy the Adventure mode, it's worth it. Otherwise, it isn't. There are a few extra story chapters, but the core of the DLC with hours or playability is all more Adventure mode maps and challenges. There are new characters and weapons too, which yet again you'll mostly use in the Adventure mode.
You can have plenty of fun using the new characters, costumes and weapons in Free Mode.

shaowebb

True fact...I don't even know how to screenshot things on the Wii U to share them to Miiverse. I have no idea how its forums or whatever work. No concept of socializing whatsoever has been made clear to me by most games so I have no concept of how to do it in them.

TheMoon

True fact...I don't even know how to screenshot things on the Wii U to share them to Miiverse. I have no idea how its forums or whatever work. No concept of socializing whatsoever has been made clear to me by most games so I have no concept of how to do it in them.

You open Miiverse. You click on "Post" and then on the image icon. Done. Could not be simpler.

bobohoro

I never bothered with Miiverse either. Logged in once, found it confusing, never looked back. Maybe one of these days I'll give it another try. Is it possible to create groups to share stuff on there? I'd think a musou-GAF community group to post screenshots would be one way I could see it getting interesting to me.

TheMoon

I never bothered with Miiverse either. Logged in once, found it confusing, never looked back. Maybe one of these days I'll give it another try. Is it possible to create groups to share stuff on there? I'd think a musou-GAF community group to post screenshots would be one way I could see it getting interesting to me.

You can't make groups. It's not a message board. It's more like twitter with a better character limit.

You guys know you can just post screenshots through the browser as if you're on a PC, right? Go to your favorite image host and upload the scene that you paused the game on (by pressing HOME)

Just need Link's L3 Fairy and I'll be done with everyone. You guys went kidding. Agitha's is a real pain. Thankfully, I would use the EXP potion for every attempt so she was eventually strong enough. I find spamming the flying beetle combo of hers really helped. Had so much time playing her I actually kinda enjoy using her now. To think when I saw the trailer for the game I said to myself I'd never play as her. She's still annoying though.

Another hard one was Lana's L3 Gate. I think I got her up to Level 80 or so, but the big thing was actually figuring out the whole trick to summoning. You're right Neiteio, cruising around on Argorock is super satisfying. I was kinda meh on the Gate, but it's gotta be one of my favorite weapons for sure now.

This. I'm finding if you ain't hit level 100's with your character you may as well call for backup because you won't be getting enough damage on some of these stages to A rank. You'll take too long on the officers and leave your base in trouble or just plain lose the rank to time.

Currently powerleveling stuff myself with the wife. Ghirahim is 150, and Link is 120, but the rest are like...80 to 60. Time to play the cast some more.

Yeah. I also need to get more serious about my weapons if I'm going to be A-ranking Termina and TP. Right now my builds are all about farming stuff: Slots/Stars/Materials/EXP... I've been working on Legendary for everyone, and have a number of them, but it's pretty pointless for guys like Ganondorf or Darunia. If I'm going to A-rank those maps, I'll actually need to build myself up first. So that sounds like a perfect thing to do whenever I have the itch to go back.

Top Bottom