• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

Also I got sent a Ganondorf costume set. Thought it was only for preorders or outside of Europe but I registered my eshop download last night. Not sure if that's why I got it but I'm happy I have more gowns for the bae. I didn't preorder any physical copies and not sure there was even any incentives for the TP/OOT/SS sets in the UK but they all looked pretty naff so I didn't bother. Guess I wouldn't have minded TP or OoT in hindsight. Are they part of the DLC bundle do we know? Details seem pretty sparse as to what characters and costumes are included.

You get the Ganondorf costume set (TP and OOT costumes) when you register with Club Nintendo.

Sadist

You have to use the items on squares where things like rewards, characters or enemies are hidden. This is seen at the top when you hover over on the adventure map.

You have to use things like candles to burn trees, bombs to destroy walls, ice arrows to put out fire etc. I don't think it ever mentions this in great detail but you have to use the cards sparingly as they need to be used on the correct space/tree/wall/object for example. I've wasted a couple of mine and wish they would reward you with more withim adventure mode. Look at a walk through as to which to use and where. I could do with a good walk through myself...
Thanks!

Yeah, I kinda used several of my items as well, didn't get anything out of it.

Zalman

What material do I need to get Link's final Sword combo attack (Kokiri Sword IV)? I've been looking for it for so long.

JoeM86

Just realised I've hit a dead end in Adventure Mode because the only characters I have levelled over 30 are Link and Zelda.

Whoops.

Time to grind for rupees

For vita, It really comes down to, does the game have to be a physical cart?, if so DW8CE is your only option as the other 2 are DL only. (and dont get DW Next even if it is physical) Also note DW8CE did have framerate issues that arent present in the other vita games, I cant remember if this got patched though (I played it on PS4).

if having a game as a dl isnt an issue then it comes down to what setting do you prefer, chinese history, japanese or mythological lore with chinese and japanese history on top.

Orochi is a somewhat dated game (the Dynasty Warriors characters are based on their DW7 counterparts, and Samura Warriors is based on 3) but due to its a cross over the number of characters exceeds over 140. And Orochi does boast the biggest amount of content in any warriors game to date by a huge margin.

SW4 due next month would be the most polished of the 3 games (I prefer SW btw)and it's the only series with VN. The 3ds is more of a side story invoving a charcter you create that participates in famous battles, where as this is more historically accurate (but not completely accurate, it is a game after all).

honestly if you can try and play all 3 though spread it out otherwise you can burn yourself out on warrior games if played too much (just like any game) if you just want fun factor and content i'd edge orochi but Samurai Warriors 4 will be the most up to date and polished game yet.

I should add DLC for all 3 games, DW8CE, Samurai Warriors 4 and Orochi is crossbuy between the other versions of the same game, so dlc you buy for say orochi vita gives you that dlc for the ps4 version too.

Thanks ShogunDarius, for your great explanation in depth. I dont mind them being downloadable or physical.

Warriors Orochi is more of an all star game that mixes chracters from all the warrior franchises as well as a whole bunch of cameos from other IPs like Ninja Gaiden or Soul Calibur...), while DW8 has a more fleshed-out story mode, but less content (still a ton, though). It's also the only one of the three to have come out physically for the Vita in Europe, if you have a small memory card. I don't know about Samurai Warriors, but if you want to shake things up a bit there's Sengoku Basara 3, which covers the same period and plays differently, it came out on Wii and PS3.

From what I've played of HW you might also want to wait for One Piece 3, which will come out next year and hopefully Namco will bring the Vita version this time as well. It's perhaps the most similar and has characters with even crazier movesets.

From what I read an saw online, DW8 on Vita isn't the greatest port, with more than the usual framerate-dips and low enemy count. WO3 is slightly better, but also suffers from at times terrible enemy pop-ins and overall lower enemy count. SW4 seems to be the best of the bunch. But once again, didn't play any of them yet myself, but I am reading and looking around since weeks for my own little Vita Musou fix.

And for the other folks looking to go further into the Musou-games I'd add another vote for Pirate Warriors 2. Similar speed to HW and the Evade option is in there too. Best movesets of all games (Admirals, Blackbeard and Whiteberad just feel unbelievable awesome) and One Piece itself is just great material to base games on.

Question on Adventure Mode: Are Item Cards as Battle Rewards shuffled after some time, or do they always stay on the same maps? Since I'll need a few compasses it would be rather annoying to play the same 2 challenge maps several times.

I have played all of these games. On Vita, Samurai Warriors 4 and Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate are much better ports than Dynasty Warriors 8 XL was. For whatever reason, DW8 was filled with framerate problems and poor audio quality. Koei has patched the game several times, even adding an optional download pack for higher-quality voice, but the framerate still has problems and the sound effects are low. It's the weakest musou game on the Vita in this regard, but if you don't mind this, it is absolutely packed with content. If you don't mind going the import route, Shin Gundam Musou and One Piece Kaizoku Musou 2 are also excellent Vita ports. Gundam has the best framerate and performance out of all of these games.

IMO Samurai Warriors 4 is the best Koei musou game released this year. I like Hyrule Warriors a lot but SW4 is more fun to play and has more interesting play mechanics. It's also a lot faster, thanks to the godspeed attack system and dashes, and this, combined with horses and being able to switch between two characters active on the maps, makes getting around the battlefields a breeze.

And thanks to all of you also!
Sadly I only read/watch very little of one piece (a friend always saysI need to read it, but its too much right now), so I dont think the One Piece one is for me, at least for now.

From all this impressions seems my best bet is starts with Samurai Warriors 4, and if it has the VN aspect to get in more depth with the characters thats totally up in my alley.
Wanted to try also the DW8 one because of the CAW aspect, but all of you talking about the problems it has make me reconsider.
Who knows, maybe having a great time with SW4, I dont mind those problems and try to get DW8 cheap in the future.

Im really having a wonderful time with HWn being my first, so maybe it has convert me into a musou fan.

zroid

Banned
What if I have no knowledge of and no interest in One Piece?

I dislike One Piece and I still enjoyed the time I spent with that game (well I played it for a couple hours in co-op; it was a friend's copy). So I can vouch for it being pretty good anyway.

It is probably just the colourful graphics and general silliness which keeps me engaged with it more than your average musou game, even though I don't care for One Piece itself.

Ended up playing this for about 6 hours straight yesterday in co-op with my friend, we both absolutely loved the game so far.

I did notice some bad slow down in co-op, but nothing that I felt was game breaking. Being able to play asynchronous in this game just felt amazing, and was really fun.

olimpia84

So do I stick going one route with the branching paths or is it more fun to beat one level and then jump to a different branch?

gotee12

I'm enjoying this more than any Zelda game since OoT. Does that make me a bad person?

I was a little leary of it at first since I usually bore of musou games relatively quickly. But adding in the Zelda franchise to the musou genre has been incredibly fun for me. Knowing who the "generals" are and the huge nostalgia hit from adventure mode is making this the most enjoyable musou experience I've ever had.

Busaiku

If people are looking to get into other Warriors games, I definitely recommend Samurai Warriors Chronicles.
You usually play and switch among 4 different characters on a map, so there's a lot more variety, and it's much easier for micro management.
Samurai Warriors 4 apparently has this, but is limited to 2 characters.

Nohar

So, a lot of people here (me included initially) have trouble making Zant expose his weakpoint.

Well, there is a trick. It's actually not random at all. Zant just follows the same rules as when you control him: if he overuses his special attacks, he will flinch and make his weakpoint jauge exposed. So, when fighting him, you must NOT evade his attacks at all. You must block them with ZL. If you are close enough, he will continue his attacks, and will get dizzy, allowing you to finally destroy him easily.
Please also note that it is cumulative: if you didn't succeed in making him dizzy during one of his attacks, the next ones will keep the count of his "Dizziness" state. Thus, it is entirely possible that he will flinch as soon as he initiate the next special attack if his "dizziness jauge" was already almost full. Just tested this.

outsidah

I've never been much into these games but this one caught my interest because of the Zelda theme. I really wanted it for the 2 player coop but the stories I am seeing here of the performance issues have me re-thinking it. In particular at full price @ $60

Just checked the tracking for this game out of curiosity, I thought I would have received it yesterday.

Canada Post processing error; item re-routed. Possible delay

Fuck.

Kinsei

Banned
I wish there were more stages from the three games. I just finished the OoT path, and I can't help but think that it would have been awesome if the gate was in the Shadow Temple instead of having both the gate and the lens of truth in the Water Temple.

After playing as Lana, I can say there is something I like about her. I love her pants.

Also I got sent a Ganondorf costume set. Thought it was only for preorders or outside of Europe but I registered my eshop download last night. Not sure if that's why I got it but I'm happy I have more gowns for the bae. I didn't preorder any physical copies and not sure there was even any incentives for the TP/OOT/SS sets in the UK but they all looked pretty naff so I didn't bother. Guess I wouldn't have minded TP or OoT in hindsight. Are they part of the DLC bundle do we know? Details seem pretty sparse as to what characters and costumes are included.

The pre-order costumes are not a part of the DLC pack. They'll eventually be available to buy on the eshop.

So, a lot of people here (me included initially) have trouble making Zant expose his weakpoint.

Well, there is a trick. It's actually not random at all. Zant just follows the same rules as when you control him: if he overuses his special attacks, he will flinch and make his weakpoint jauge exposed. So, when fighting him, you must NOT evade his attacks at all. You must block them with ZL. If you are close enough, he will continue his attacks, and will get dizzy, allowing you to finally destroy him easily.
Please also note that it is cumulative: if you didn't succeed in making him dizzy during one of his attacks, the next ones will keep the count of his "Dizziness" state. Thus, it is entirely possible that he will flinch as soon as he initiate the next special attack if his "dizziness jauge" was already almost full. Just tested this.

Ah! thanks for the info :3
The dodging in this game is so good I almost never block so it never occurred to me to try. I think the only thing I use it for is Manhandla's seed spray usually, if I'm not close enough to dodge in under it XD

daydream

Banned
Lana should show up in future Zeldas. Although I guess Cia is kinda part of that package which would get some people riled up. They could always rewrite her character, though.

Just leveled up Sheik from level 22 (nearly all my other character are 40) to 30 thanks to helping a level 49 link. It was 40 minutes (all the captains had the yellow aura and I was using a bad powered weapon becuase I was trying to unlock the 3000 ko skill it had), but at the end it was worth it.
The weapon unlock was a new skill called Superiority (you are stronger the more bases you have), and then the level gave me a 5star level 3 magic rod for link with 6 slots. The rod is powered 420, with 2 slots already having +materials and +stars. Going to cram a +slots there and I think I have the perfect rod to play as link.

Oh and someone just helped me and got 100000 rupees and an exp bonus! Thanks!

Not a bad day, not a bad day at all!

So, a lot of people here have trouble making Zant expose his weakpoint.

Thank god someone discovered how to make his weakpoint not random.
I thought it was random because he only overused his attacks sometimes, but if you say that bloking them is the way to get him mad and get dizzy, im going to try it the next time I play against him.

Lana should show up in future Zeldas. Although I guess Cia is kinda part of that package which would get some people riled up. They could always rewrite her character, though.

You know what? after playing the story I think her design maked sense.
I think the great fairy one is worse, and thats really only a remodelling of the original OoT one, so the fault there was Nintendo's.

So I just realized that the "kill X minions to unlock" abilities are not the same as the regular abilities. I just got Sturdy Feet with Sheik, which makes you invulnerable to stuns but makes you lose more hearts per hit. I guess unlocking all of those is what's needed for the blue locked abilities,
like the Master Sword's

So do I stick going one route with the branching paths or is it more fun to beat one level and then jump to a different branch?

I'd saya play the Twilight Princess path first. There's
an item
you need in order to
get a golden skulltula
from the OoT path.

Just realised I've hit a dead end in Adventure Mode because the only characters I have levelled over 30 are Link and Zelda.

Whoops.

Time to grind for rupees

Network Links (either helping or being helped) net you tens of thousands of rupees, sometimes more.

You get the Ganondorf costume set (TP and OOT costumes) when you register with Club Nintendo.
I figured it was US only but registered my stars yesterday. Excited to get home from work and put them to use even if there's hardly any opportunities to use 'dorf :(

Thanks!

Yeah, I kinda used several of my items as well, didn't get anything out of it.
You can use the compass to show where you need to click. I wish there were more compasses thrown in to help otherwise you're going in blind sometimes and it's a ball ache trying to get replacements.

RaidenZR

Does anyone have a spare/unwanted Skyward Sword costume code? Willing to trade for one of the club nintendo rewards right now, if desired.

HamSandwich

So gotta say Lana isn't nearly as bad/annoying as I've seen some people say. In fact I have really been enjoying her move sets so far.

Also, does enjoying this game mean ill probably like other dynasty warrior games? Cause the whole battlefield aspect is pretty awesome.

You absolutely will. Highly suggest DW 7 or 8. It comes with the added bonus of learning ancient Chinese History as you play it through.

Kinsei

Banned
I'd saya play the Twilight Princess path first. There's
an item
you need in order to
get a golden skulltula
from the OoT path.

You need to play every level twice to get 100% anyways, so it doesn't really matter if you have that when you do the OoT path or not. Just return for the piece of heart/heart container (whichever one you didn't get) after you get that thing.

how about Volga?

his spear thrust weak point only lasts a second. I never guard but is that how I should approach it?

I think against the rest of the character is best to go already running (not rolling though) becuase you can get a little far of the area of any attack and then already go running to attack just as the weakpoint shows.

Also there are enemies (lizalfos) that usually do their attack with weakpoint (the 2 fire ones) when you attack them non stop. Attack them until they do that white shield sphere and usually that will make them attack with fire, surround them to attack their weakpoint when it appears.
The aero ones you can use the hookshot when in the air and a weakpoint will show always. Just discovered that in one of the challenges. I didnt even know the fat moblins were weak against bombs (although is not as effective as the hookshot against aeroalfos).

You absolutely will. Highly suggest DW 7 or 8. It comes with the added bonus of learning ancient Chinese History as you play it through.

well its not exactly chinese history

its based on a chinese novel written in the 14. century thats inspired by chinese history in the 2nd century.

zroid

Banned
You have to replay stages to grind for materials, right? Any particular reason aside from the rupee bonus to replay stages on hard versus easy?

Sanic

I'm planning on picking this up in a few months. Is there anything I won't have access to later if I wait? Not concerned with if I'll have to pay for it or not, just wondering if anything will dissapear permanently?

zroid

Banned
I'm planning on picking this up in a few months. Is there anything I won't have access to later if I wait? Not concerned with if I'll have to pay for it or not, just wondering if anything will dissapear permanently?

Just the Ganondorf costumes, I guess.

Well, they might go on sale later, who knows.

Kinsei

Banned

You might miss out on the OoT and TP Ganondorf costumes. We know the pre-order stuff will be available to purchase later, but I'm not sure if anything has been said about the Club Nintendo DLC.

Camjo-Z

So I'm playing the game, having a blast, and all of a sudden the power goes out for a minute or two. Weird, but I turn the system back on and keep playing. 15 minutes later, Wii U turns off, refuses to turn back on despite everything other electrical device working fine. Tried Nintendo's "unplug everything for two minutes" solution, didn't do squat. It figures that this would happen the day I get a new game!

Hopefully the AC adapter is just taking longer than usual to reset and I don't have to order another one off eBay.

You might miss out on the OoT and TP Ganondorf costumes. We know the pre-order stuff will be available to purchase later, but I'm not sure if anything has been said about the Club Nintendo DLC.

I think when I redeemed the DLC on Club Nintendo it said it would be available on the eShop some time in the future.

Makonero

So I downloaded the game yesterday and I've been having a blast. I like that everything is divided into neat chunks, so I'm not getting tired. Plus, every step I take, I'm unlocking new things to play with! I also love Adventure mode quite a bit, but I have a question: do Item cards I use that ultimately don't work (like burning the wrong bush) go away forever? Am I stuck now without the ability to unlock something later? I really hate the search functionality since I have no idea where things are hidden. Should I look things up in the original Zelda in order to figure out where to burn/bomb? Is there a way to get item cards elsewhere?

boxter432

got the dorf costumes downloaded...man I let alot of post play surveys and stuff expire...stupid that they do that. they don't even email me saying they are expiring or anything, I don't go on the CN website very often...let me know Nintendoooooooooooo!

jimi_dini

Just completed story mode.

Ganondorf
's final form what the fuck, how, what the fuck - I would love to play AS THAT

I think I just unlocked hero mode. And got the "hero in the green tunic" medal for completing everything on hard.

2nd skulltula unlocked for every level in story mode. It's character-specific and only for hard + hero mode. Some are even weapon exclusive, wth.

You gotta be shitting me. Link needs Ganondorf's Gauntlets for the mid-damage reducing upgrades. So I need a total of 6 or 7, oh my god.

You have to replay stages to grind for materials, right? Any particular reason aside from the rupee bonus to replay stages on hard versus easy?

Hard and hero mode gives you MUCH better materials. Better possibility of silver materials in normal officers instead of bronze and gold for commanders (you need the gold ones for the last skills in the tree of every character). ALso better weapons.

Adventure mode scales the difficulty (you cant choose it) depending of which square of the nes map you are, and you will see gold materials you never see in story mode. The best thing to grind are helping high level Links, of course. 45-60 seems to be the best for grinding.

Ruto is pretty strong actually.

Ruto is one of the best characters of the game becuase she has powerfull attacks for every ocassion.
The YYYYYY to take massive damage to bosses weakpoints.
The YYYYYX to create a tidal wave against any enemy or group of enemies (and if the enemy comes from behind the cant harm you if the tidal wave is already form)
The special water attack to obliviarate big groups of mobs and pesky officers.

So I downloaded the game yesterday and I've been having a blast. I like that everything is divided into neat chunks, so I'm not getting tired. Plus, every step I take, I'm unlocking new things to play with! I also love Adventure mode quite a bit, but I have a question: do Item cards I use that ultimately don't work (like burning the wrong bush) go away forever? Am I stuck now without the ability to unlock something later? I really hate the search functionality since I have no idea where things are hidden. Should I look things up in the original Zelda in order to figure out where to burn/bomb? Is there a way to get item cards elsewhere?

No.
About looking to the zelda nes map, I was not going to do it, but after having to repeat the same levels only to get a compass, and decided to look for a real nes map with the secrets reveled. i think the game is more fun without grinding the same levels for compasses.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
From all this impressions seems my best bet is starts with Samurai Warriors 4, and if it has the VN aspect to get in more depth with the characters thats totally up in my alley.
Wanted to try also the DW8 one because of the CAW aspect, but all of you talking about the problems it has make me reconsider.
Who knows, maybe having a great time with SW4, I dont mind those problems and try to get DW8 cheap in the future.

DW8 doesn't have CAW. Out of those three games, only SW4 does. DW8 Empires will have CAW, but that's not out in Japan, so an English version will be a while.

I usually hate the repetitive nature of musou games, but packaging it with a series I love makes all the difference in the world!

It's still repetitive, but the Zelda characters and universe makes it great.

I'm enjoying it.

And the character models look awesome! Best I've seen in Zelda so far. One thing about Team Ninja and Omega Force is that they sure know how to make character models pretty!

Top Bottom