• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

Busaiku

Hyrule Fields with Ganondorf is giving me a bit of trouble.
Everyone's on the move, so I can't take my time to find the Heart Container or the room with the Heart Piece.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
For anybody still looking for more network Links, my ID is: Blanksteg. Hope soliciting invites is not frowned upon by now.

Would the OP benefit from a list of gaffer IDs in need of additional network Links, similar to the 3DS thread?

Thought I'd collate and share some thoughts I've gathered since I've had the game:

Positives:
  • Love the character selection. Great selection and variety, and there's still characters that could be used in future sequels/DLC. Everyone is pretty fun to play in some way, give or take. If you ever wanted to roll around as a Goron, you can, want to play as his fabulousness Lord Ghirahim, you can. The unique perks each character has is also fun and makes for a different experience and playstyle with each one if you really want to clear hordes quicker.
  • Music is great. Love how it dynamically changes during special attacks, the pause menu, or different parts of the map. Great mix of Zelda and typical Koei Warriors fare
  • Adventure mode adds hours onto the game and makes it an all around meaty package to sink your teeth into.
  • Fanservice is pretty great. When the Great Fairy summons a familiar face to down Argorok I'm sure most people would have been hype as hell. I already saw it on Nintendo's E3's stream, which for some will be disappointing if it was spoiled for them, but the chat was pretty hype about it at the time.
  • The scenery is awesome. Surfacing up to Lake Hylia from the darkness of the caves below, or running across the seemingly endless Bridge of Eldin to get to a Skulltula in time stick out to me.
  • The final boss - minions flying everywhere, made me laugh.
  • The balancing acts in each stage are much more prevalent here than what I remember in the other Warriors titles I've owned. I've found myself having to be a bit more strategic in what I do and what gets prioritised in this game. I "could" try and go for this keep before helping Impa, buuut, I probably should go and help Impa otherwise it's game over.
  • DLC support. This is something Nintendo have been dipping their toes into lately and it seems to be working well for them so far. I think it may be on-disc DLC which is never fun, but I've preordered it anyway. I mainly got the game to tide me over until Smash but it seems I might be playing it past that, and I've been genuinely excited about getting home every day to have another smash at Adventure mode and see how many more spaces I can unlock. There's lots of replayability, even for a Warriors game.

Negatives:
  • Lana. She's pretty cute, and her Spellbook weapon is pretty fun to use, but her, and Cia's origins are laughable.
    She was jealous of Zelda and Link's relationship/friendship and that's why she caused a rift in time and space or something, to spite them? Link and Zelda are never even officially listed as a couple, but even if this isn't a canon game, the whole premise behind this was ridiculous. I can imagine a lot of Zelda purists and diehard fans rolling their eyes too, which doesn't help since a lot of people will be frowning upon the game anyway since it's an exceptional case whenever Nintendo let third parties handle their IPs.
  • Some faces I would've liked to have seen weren't included. A lot of people, myself included, seem to think the Deku Staff Lana wields would've been perfect for Saria from OoT. But there's always sequels! - and Koei tend to churn these games out fairly quickly as well once they have a base.
  • The Story mode narrative as mentioned, is pretty ridiculous and shorter than I would've liked given the general scope of the actual Zelda games.
    More Ganondorf stages would've been fun, as he rebuilds his army and stuff. It was fun playing as the big bad as he's battling the all powerful heroes and trying to plot his return.
  • No Gerudo Valley remixes? Unless I haven't unlocked it yet. I was so pumped to fight to that on the respective stage.
  • Adventure mode can be very difficult at times. Maybe it's just me, but there are some stages where only an A rank will allow you to progress or unlock a certain reward and something silly can sabotage all the effort you put in. It adds replayability and something to work to, but still frustrating in the end. Also worth noting, are the second Skulltulas. Often the stages they are unlocked on are on Hard or Chaos, and it can be very easy to incur more than 4 hearts of damage. I think this could've been a bit more lenient, I haven't yet been able to get any second Skulltulas - this is before even finding said Skulltula. Once you know all the archetypes and their attack patterns it's a bit easier but there's still times when a Poe's magic will hit you or a Moblin will throw a cheeky spear at your back. Also shout outs to the "Beat 700 enemies in 10 minutes" stages and how frustrating they can be while having to juggle just 1 giant boss, never mind 2 or 3.
  • I sound like I'm asking for the game to really hold my hand with a lot of these points, I think it should be easier to obtain the item cards, or more of them, since it's trial and error unless you have compasses saved up, or are using a walkthrough. It makes it very tedious.
  • Looking at this thread since the NA release a lot of people are confused as to what to do in Adventure mode and how the Adventure item cards/rewards and the weapon smithing systems work. I think this could've been more clearly explained in game. The latter is fairly similar to the DW/SW series but it's annoying you can't sell extra weapons until your inventory is full
  • Personally would've liked more interaction between the characters. Since the Legend mode can be a bit short and the characters get split up, there's no real chance for us to see any charming character interaction which is something oft-seen in DW/SW/WO. Maybe I just didn't notice, which segues into...
  • No voice acting means it can be easy to miss things when you're immersed in taking out a certain officer or a horde of enemies to fulfill another objective. There are alerts visually and audibly and I'm not saying voice acting would've been preferred, CD-i is proof of that, but it's hard to decipher if an ally is genuinely damaged or cheering you on when they're all squealing like your typical fawning Japanese schoolgirl, which also really creeps me out~
  • Normal mode? More like Easy mode. After the second story level I realised this and put it onto Hard. Much more enjoyable, but still kinda wish the minions did more. You can see them attacking a bit more in Hero difficulty though.
  • No Classic Control support. Uber annoyed since this was how I was planning on playing with other people. If it is supported in any Wii U games I'm thankful since it's still last gen hardware and they're not obliged to support it, but the Wii Remote and Nunchuk combo isn't desirable in a game like this, ESPECIALLY if your main attacks are done with motion controls. Maybe it's because there was no other available buttons available, but still annoyed since I've had to invest in a newer control now.

There's probably more but I wanted to collate some thoughts I had. It looks like I have more negatives than positives but I'm still pleasantly surprised by this game. It took a while for them to release it, and even though I love the SW/DW series' anyway, I've been blown away with how much fun I've found this game in particular. Zelda makes everything better.

Alright then. I'll assume that all of the DLC will be released on the same months worldwide until someone says the opposite.

For anybody still looking for more network Links, my ID is: Blanksteg. Hope soliciting invites is not frowned upon by now.

Would the OP benefit from a list of gaffer IDs in need of additional network Links, similar to the 3DS thread?

Sounds pointless. If someone wants to do a docs or something: go ahead. If you want to make a list yourself; go ahead and I'll Link to it in the OP. MK8 and Smash have separate threads for this, though I guess that wouldn't work as well here since it doesn't have as much of a multiplayer mode and it's also not quite as popular on GAF. You can also just use the thread search function to find loads of NNID's. I asked people to add me earlier in the thread and my friend list is almost full soon ;b

Again though; if you want to start a list then I'll put a link to it in the OP. I'll give it its own header and all too, so feel free to do it if there's a demand for it.

Durden77

It's not the first time that link's courage works against him, remember when he tried to fight ganondorf with the sealed master sword in wind waker? Or when he tried to block Vaati's magic with his small shield in Minish Cap at the start of the game after watching him destroy the picori blade just like that? Or in OoT were he draw his sword as a kid vs a mounted ganondorf?

Yeah but I feel like all of those were genuine displays of courage, sometimes even courage in desperation. In this game his overconfidence is not courage, if anything, it's the opposite. What's courageous about running into a group of little dudes with a smile on your face because you know you're going to fuck em up? That's not his courage getting the best of him, that's just him being an idiot and becoming detached.

Anteo

Yeah but I feel like all of those were genuine displays of courage, sometimes even courage in desperation. In this game his overconfidence is not courage, if anything, it's the opposite. What's courageous about running into a group of little dudes with a smile on your face because you know you're going to fuck em up? That's not his courage getting the best of him, that's just him being an idiot and becoming detached.

It's not about the little minions he knows he will destroy, it's about whatever Cia was up to at the time, maybe she would bring someone as powerful as Valga? Maybe she herself would use the Triforce to overpower him? Having the master sword + his own courage made him overconfident just like toon link, not afraid of the enemy, didnt even consider how powerful the enemy really is and how easy would be for them to neutralize him. Both needed their allies to rescue them because they were already in deep shit.

Wait why do people say Fi sucks in this? I'm wrecking house with her hard
She's really fun. You're literally dancing around hordes of enemies and looking fabulous doing it. She's really fun. Never noticed too much of a boost from the special ability of hers but like most, she's weak at first but once you upgrade her a bit she can be fun to use.

Ansatz

Finished Legend mode earlier (most of the game was normal but last was on hard). Got some nice 8bit swords then tried the first mission on Hero. What the shit? The jump in enemy damage and enemy health is ridiculous. I'll stick to hard for playing again and come back to it when everyone's level 1 million.

This is the only problem I have with HW. It's very hard to know which level interval, difficulty mode and weapon rank setup gives you a meaningful experience. It's always unbalanced in some way, except when playing Legend mode for the first time set on normal. That gave me a fair challenge as I was still learning and taking everything in. Gameplay becomes a pointless grind until the point you've reached ideal conditions. When every factor is aligned perfectly to create a perfectly tuned experience, the game is amazing to play. It's still fun to a certain degree: getting used to other character's moveset and physics, the fan service, but it would be better if every battle felt satisfying. I'd prefer normalized design, where level, weapon, talents and other customization options have limited effect, for example by scaling everything based on your stats. That's why I'm more looking forward to Bayo 2 where every minute is engaging and stimulating, it's designed so that it's impossible not to.

Kinsei

Banned
How do you correctly lure the enemies to the fairy fountain in the Shining Beacon level? Every time I get them all to the area it says mission failed.

one_kill

Can the Gamepad can be turned off if one uses the Pro Controller instead?

I'm eager to buy a Pro Controller for this game, but only if I can turn the Gamepad off

How do you correctly lure the enemies to the fairy fountain in the Shining Beacon level? Every time I get them all to the area it says mission failed.
Don't you just attack them?

quoting this again. Works like a charm. Almost like cheating :p

Not really that cheating when the rest of her attacks are utter trash though lol

This is something I don't like about the game's story. It's so ridiculous. Also I was kinda hoping Lana herself was going to have some sort of reference to the main series and be Lanayru reincarnated or something, instead she's just Xiao Qiao with a spellbook.

Negatives:
  • Lana. She's pretty cute, and her Spellbook weapon is pretty fun to use, but her, and Cia's origins are laughable.
    She was jealous of Zelda and Link's relationship/friendship and that's why she caused a rift in time and space or something, to spite them? Link and Zelda are never even officially listed as a couple, but even if this isn't a canon game, the whole premise behind this was ridiculous. I can imagine a lot of Zelda purists and diehard fans rolling their eyes too, which doesn't help since a lot of people will be frowning upon the game anyway since it's an exceptional case whenever Nintendo let third parties handle their IPs.

I liked it. I can see it happening, I dont understand whats so hard to believe. And im not rolling my eyes as a fan of Zelda.
Also
she is the keeper of the time and space in the zelda universe (this is a trope repeated millions of times in any media that makes crossovers, the DC and Marvel fans that are gods for example). The girl is lonely as hell and she needs to keep eye to all this universes. It's normal that she starts liking one of the Links she oversees and becomes jealous of the girl in that timeline, in this case Zelda seems to be the one predistined, in other timeline is another zelda (you said Link are Zelda are never oficially, but you are wrong in that, they actually are in SS, and its layed pretty thick in that one), in another Midna (TP, they are never offcial but the sentiments of both are there), etc... She doesn't create a rift in time and space because of spite, she is only jealous, and the evil she is keeping locked takes advantage of the situtation making her fall to the dark side (another trope repeated a million times already).

Tropey and something we've seen already repeated a lot? Absolutely, this story is that.
Unbelievable and eye rolling? Nope, at least not for me.
I only see a pretty inoccent story used as a catalyst for a non-canon crossover game.

I can understand other people not liking it, but for me, it's not really that bad, mostly inocuous.

I'm eager to buy a Pro Controller for this game, but only if I can turn the Gamepad off

Yes, you can turn the display off by going to Controller Settings view the Home button on the gamepad. It still consumes battery power though, for some reason.

Kinsei

Banned

Don't you just attack them?

The game tells you to lure them just north of the fountain, and then once you do it tells you to use the magic circle. Right after the message pops up telling me to use it, I fail the mission.

one_kill

The game tells you to lure them just north of the fountain, and then once you do it tells you to use the magic circle. Right after the message pops up telling me to use it, I fail the mission.
Maybe your allied base was conquered

Yes, you can turn the display off by going to Controller Settings view the Home button on the gamepad. It still consumes battery power though, for some reason.
Just that? Awww
Thanks for the reply Beren

JoeM86

• DLC support. This is something Nintendo have been dipping their toes into lately and it seems to be working well for them so far. I think it may be on-disc DLC which is never fun, but I've preordered it anyway. I mainly got the game to tide me over until Smash but it seems I might be playing it past that, and I've been genuinely excited about getting home every day to have another smash at Adventure mode and see how many more spaces I can unlock. There's lots of replayability, even for a Warriors game.

It's not. On-disc DLC doesn't take up over 1GB of space :)

Kinsei

Banned
Maybe your allied base was conquered

Failing that mission doesn't end the stage. You can keep on fighting, it's just a lot harder. Unfortunately, I can't kill the enemies fast enough to stop my base from getting taken over if I fail the mission.

jimi_dini

Also shout outs to the "Beat 700 enemies in 10 minutes" stages and how frustrating they can be while having to juggle just 1 giant boss, never mind 2 or 3.

This gets way easier when you are leveled up high enough and got proper weapon(s). It's okay as well, because at least the missions that I got after that were quite difficult to do. So a low level character would have gotten slaughtered.

And mind you, there are always ways open, that are beatable. I never had to grind levels. I had to grind a few items though.

one_kill

Failing that mission doesn't end the stage. You can keep on fighting, it's just a lot harder. Unfortunately, I can't kill the enemies fast enough to stop my base from getting taken over if I fail the mission.
Not sure what's going on
Have you tried restarting?

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Also shout outs to the "Beat 700 enemies in 10 minutes" stages and how frustrating they can be while having to juggle just 1 giant boss, never mind 2 or 3.

These missions get significantly easier as soon as your warrior/weapon is strong enough to kill grunts in 1 or 2 hits. Because then you can just spam YYB through groups, using the dash cancel to speed up attacks and provide protection from the bosses as well.

It also helps to lock on to a boss like Gohma whilst still pursuing the regular grunts, just to see possible incoming attacks.

Argh. Second trip to The Valley of Seers, there's a part where you're supposed to use the Great Fairy to kill a bunch of enemies or something. I travel to the magic circle and use it, and then after I use up the magic circle a bunch of prompts come up telling me to lure certain enemies to a specific part of the map. I fail the mission.

Really not a fan of how stilted the delivery of mission objectives can be.

Sify64

Argh. Second trip to The Valley of Seers, there's a part where you're supposed to use the Great Fairy to kill a bunch of enemies or something. I travel to the magic circle and use it, and then after I use up the magic circle a bunch of prompts come up telling me to lure certain enemies to a specific part of the map. I fail the mission.

Really not a fan of how stilted the delivery of mission objectives can be.
perhaps, did you kill the specific enemy that you were supposed to lure? As all you have to do is make the enemy notice you and run back towards the fairy fountain.

NZerker12

Just unlocked links level 3
Great fairy
it turns out to be
Great Sky Fairy
word of advice make sure to be at around level 70 or higher and abuse C1 ( X ) when taking on the mission because trust me the enemies are tanks in this mission.

McNum

So, started on Adventure Mode after beating Legend, and I have a few questions.

1. What's the deal with those light orbs under Zelda's Special meter? What do they do?
2. Where do I go for Impa's spear weapon? Somewhere on the Adventure map?
3. Do I need to be that specific character to find their Level 2 weapons in the Legend Mode maps?

In adventure mode, once you've searched for something and revealed the stairs, what do you do next? I revealed a couple but I'm not sure what comes next. Am I supposed to get something?

Kinsei

Banned

1. What's the deal with those light orbs under Zelda's Special meter? What do they do?
3. Do I need to be that specific character to find their Level 2 weapons in the Legend Mode maps?

1. They let you extend you combo. For example, regularly you have a YYX combo, but with the light orbs it becomes YYXXX.
2. Yes, it's in adventure mode.
3. No.

1. Those orbs represent light arrow or light based attacks, Zelda's combos can change slightly (usually at the end) based upon if she has any light orbs in reserve and typically these move changes are more potent. Strong attack by itself tops you up with three orbs and you'll get one finishing her standard weak combo chain.
The best one in my book is the combo that causes Zelda do go darting forwards with swift left and right rapier attacks, having light orbs will drop the part where she jumps up and delivers a flurry of rapid strikes and instead have her bust out twin columns of light arrow rain which can be aimed slightly albeit a bit fiddly.

2. Really close to the start, if I recall the game actually pushes you to this stage with a mini tutorial I think with it being the first bronze weapon mark you come across.

3. Yes, almost all of the level 2 weapons are hit behind A rank criteria you'll have to reveal with search and then the character corresponding to the weapon has to complete the mission with an A rank. This can be a bit tough at first for some since they may be too weak to get through quick enough so when you go for these try to have a good level 1 weapon on hand and enough levels to deal better damage to the enemies.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
In adventure mode, once you've searched for something and revealed the stairs, what do you do next? I revealed a couple but I'm not sure what comes next. Am I supposed to get something?

Means you unlocked the A rank or blocked bonus and you can play the level.

------------------

Got Ganondorf's Lvl2 and Lvl3 Great Swords. Feels good. While they make you more powerful harder stages just make it so you won't die as much because you basically have to not let the enemy army breathe. At all.

Means you unlocked the A rank or blocked bonus and you can play the level.

------------------

Got Ganondorf's Lvl2 and Lvl3 Great Swords. Feels good. While they make you more powerful harder stages just make it so you won't die as much because you basically have to not let the enemy army breathe. At all.

Ah, thank makes sense. Thanks!

Guesong

Holy fucking shit.

Palace of Twilight on Hard is some grade-SSS bullshit.

Here's Argorok. Here's Zant. HERE'S ALL THE CAPTAIN LEVELS MINIONS BECAUSE YOUR ARMY IS 100 % USELESS, ENJOY AS THEY ASSAULT AT ONCE.

Legit raging atm.

TheMoon

Are you sure all the dates are global? I haven't heard anything regarding NA. If you're sure then I'll edit it!

Well, if you trust Aonuma's Miiverse posts then yea ;)

Besides, why would they be different.^^

You can use the Wii remote nonchuck combo. I haven't tried it myself, but it should not be very good. Hard to do combos with wiggling and no stick to control the camera.

It supports Wii U Pro Controller - my preferred way of playing the game - and not the classic controller AFAIK.

I'll refer to this again:

hwfeaturesmek52.jpg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Everyone gets the Master Quest Pack on Oct.16th. Japan gets Cia Trio on the 30th of September.

NA and EUR get the Cia Trio on October 16th on the same day as the first DLC pack. Which likely has their Lvl2 and Lvl3 weapons in the new Adventure map.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Alright, so in skyloft I know I picked up a weapon when I defeated ghirahim but my ally base was taken even tho I defeated ghira and 3 mnibosses trying to ake it over, after a few tries of the same thing happening later, and not getting the drop again and saying that my exp continues over even if I restart a level or something that I had it, when I finally beat it I dont think I got a sword, likewise I just beat the twili palace with zant and im sure I got a weapon drop and didnt die or lose and unless I skipped it I dont remember getting a weapon from there either.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
How do you actually get a gold skulltula once you enter an area with a spider web?

Wander around until you hear the background music fade out. It fades out so you can hear the skulltulla's noise. Be sure to bomb nearby rocks as the skulltulla's frequently hide underneath them.

So regarding Midna and Fi, do the boost you can gain with their X-attack actually increase their attack damage or just imbue them with the power of darkness/light? The game doesn't tell this and honestly I'm not sure.

Weird. Didn't see anything to kill. Guess I'll go back.

Well you have to find it. It's somewhere in the web. It's easy to find though, you can hear it very easily.

Top Bottom