• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

zroid

Banned
Impa and Sheik might be my favourites so far out of the ones I've tried. I'm also beginning to like Link (sword) a lot after unlocking more of his combos.

I still haven't used Lana yet because I was playing co-op right after I unlocked her and then my friend wanted to use her all the time :lol Lana looks really good though.

NNID: Gaiaknight if anyone needs more links just if you send me friend request mention that your a gaf member so i know its not random.

Tyeforce

Here we go again.

wVZfjBc.png
Late reply to this, sorry, but where exactly was this officially stated? The OP provides no source. I've failed to find any official mention of this. How are we sure it's not just an assumption?

StAidan

Just save the game and continue later? You can save the game from the pause screen. And each level is only 20-30 minutes anyway :)

Omigosh... you can save and resume a mission mid-progress? It didn't even occur to me that it would be possible.

The hits just keep on coming.

Late reply to this, sorry, but where exactly was this officially stated? The OP provides no source. I've failed to find any official mention of this. How are we sure it's not just an assumption?

Aonuma posted on miiverse that they will be available at a later date for everyone.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Impa...is amazing.

Seriously, my opinion of that character has shot up so, so, so much. That sword-kick...

If there's any justice in the world, Impa will get her own DMC-style action game.

oatmeal

Banned
I bought it today and played that opening mission.

First impressions were bad, like...what the fuck these enemies pop-in 10 feet away, what is happening?

But as I played I enjoyed it more and more. I understand that that was vanilla Link and things will get better as I unlock more shit.

I checked out Adventure mode and caught feelings immediately. Swoon.

Looks like there's a TON of content in this game.

Japanese devs haven't really ever grasped pretty menus have they lol. I feel like every western game is like...super slick and awesome, and eastern is just like...GameCube era still.

Need to play more still.

Teknoman

I bought it today and played that opening mission.

First impressions were bad, like...what the fuck these enemies pop-in 10 feet away, what is happening?

But as I played I enjoyed it more and more. I understand that that was vanilla Link and things will get better as I unlock more shit.

I checked out Adventure mode and caught feelings immediately. Swoon.

Looks like there's a TON of content in this game.

Japanese devs haven't really ever grasped pretty menus have they lol. I feel like every western game is like...super slick and awesome, and eastern is just like...GameCube era still.

Need to play more still.

Make sure to play on hard mode.

Watch Da Birdie

Adventure Mode seems surprisingly lenient on A-ranks so far. The only hard part is knowing how many enemies you need to kill, but I can take quite a fair bit of hits, and seemingly not blaze through it, and get A-Ranks no problem.

Kinsei

Banned
I have it in Normal right now.

What's the difference?

I'm not really looking for a challenge, just to play at my leisure.

You get better item drops from enemies. There are also some gold skulltulas that are only available on hard or higher, but they don't show up until you've beaten the game.

Watch Da Birdie

In that case he should probably just play on Normal to Level Up everyone, and then do the Hard Skulluta on the way back.

jmizzal

Which modes can you play as villains? Do you have to unlock a certain mode or is it just free play after you beat the story?

Kinsei

Banned
Which modes can you play as villains? Do you have to unlock a certain mode or is it just free play after you beat the story?

Story mode lets you play as
Ganondorf
in three stages. You unlock Zant and Ghirahim in adventure mode.

You can play as them in free mode, adventure mode, and challenge mode.

Fandangox

Both. You unlock
Ghirahim and Zant
in adventure mode, but you have to advance through a certain point in Legends mode first.

jmizzal

Story mode lets you play as
Ganondorf
in three stages. You unlock Zant and Ghirahim in adventure mode.

You can play as them in free mode, adventure mode, and challenge mode.

Ok and are they playable in any mode that lets you select your characters outside of story?

zroid

Banned
Through about 9 missions I've been pretty happy with Hard (musou noob here). Hasn't been overly difficult, and it's fairly engaging. Only issue is a lot of the bosses just take way too long to kill.

Fandangox

Sorry, I'm slow. What's C4?

Charge Move 4 i.e four times y then x.

In musou the button on the upper part of the button romboe/layout (x in this case, for the wii u) is the charge move, while y is the "normal" move.

Provided you are using DW controls, of course.

Jaruru

just beat the game in normal and started the adventure mode. had a blast with this game. except the co-op low frame rate. I wish Wii U could do better than this. or have split screen as an option?

do I need to add more friends who get this game in order to have better weapons drop here?

pls add me on this :D

Nintendo ID: Jaruru

Durden77

I'm still a little confused about somethings about the adventure mode. Like I beat a level that had a heart piece as the A rank, but then I got A rank and didn't get it?

Anyway I just beat legend mode today. This game has really surpassed my expectations. Sure on the whole it's another Dynasty Warriors game, but it's a really good one, and the amount of Zelda fanservice and how well it's done really makes it feel like something different. And the amount of content is just great.

Also just unlocked
Ghirahim
. Hot damn is he rad.

I'm still a little confused about somethings about the adventure mode. Like I beat a level that had a heart piece as the A rank, but then I got A rank and didn't get it?

Anyway I just beat legend mode today. This game has really surpassed my expectations. Sure on the whole it's another Dynasty Warriors game, but it's a really good one, and the amount of Zelda fanservice and how well it's done really makes it feel like something different. And the amount of content is just great.

Also just unlocked
Ghirahim
. Hot damn is he rad.

Did you complete that stage with the character the belongs to the heart?

Fandangox

I'm still a little confused about somethings about the adventure mode. Like I beat a level that had a heart piece as the A rank, but then I got A rank and didn't get it?.

Gotta use the right character to earn the A rank reward. The one showing up with the icon.

Also lol your avatar.

Kjellson

Charge Move 4 i.e four times y then x.

In musou the button on the upper part of the button romboe/layout (x in this case, for the wii u) is the charge move, while y is the "normal" move.

Provided you are using DW controls, of course.
I play with Zelda controls but I assume Y in that case is B and X is Y.

I'll try again tomorrow. Tbh I have played very little as Darunia and don't even know if I unlocked that combo yet. He just sucks, lol.

Watch Da Birdie

Love how every character has their own Zelda I sprite, I thought everyone just used Link's.

Imagine if one of the DLC is a new version of the original Zelda, but where you can play as different characters with the sword replaced with their own weapon.

Effect

So how do you gain access to the historical entries that are unlocked?

Just did the Land of Myth stage where you fight
Darunia
. First stage where I failed on hard. The advice here was good but even with that it took me the second time to beat it once I saw how the attacks came.

I am finding the difficulty rankings a little annoying. If I beat a stage on hard it would be nice if I got the check for easy and normal as well.

Edit:

Ah. Not getting the skulltula int he above stage worried me but it seems I couldn't have gotten it anyway as I wouldn't have been able to reach it as I didn't have the item needed.

emb

Love how every character has their own Zelda I sprite, I thought everyone just used Link's.

Imagine if one of the DLC is a new version of the original Zelda, but where you can play as different characters with the sword replaced with their own weapon.
I loved that little detail too!

I would have loved if they made LoZ1 a final unlockable and added all those characters.

Durden77

Why do you hate MGS? Weird.

Not sure if taunting or serious, but MGS is my favorite series.

Yeah super cool to see that. And that idea would be way, way too good.

WarAdept

how do I get King Dodo to use that move of his that lets me throw bombs in his mouth more often?

Stay at Flame Breath's range. About 5 or so steps from his mouth and just wait. If a Flame Breath comes, it's followed by a Fireball which you can pop a lovely bomb into his gullet. Any longer he will roll, closer he will have a tendency to ground slap.

how do I get King Dodo to use that move of his that lets me throw bombs in his mouth more often?

I stand fairly close in front of it (if you're off to the sides it'll do the turning moves instead of breathing which you obviously want to avoid) to get it to do the flame breath move. If you dodge the flame breath at least once (I just dodge it twice, once each way) then 100% of the time for me so far it's done the bomb sucking move immediately afterwards :eek:
There's an optimal distance where you'll be just out of range of the single foot stomp but close enough to reduce the likelyhood of it rolling. I tend to kill them pretty quickly and even get whole chains of it doing nothing but the breathing attack quite often this way :3

EDIT: Waradept beat me to it XD

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I have a question regarding enemy champions: Some of them have a sort of "burst" that knocks you out of your combo. Big Poe does this very frequently with some white glowing shock wave emanating from him. Is there any way to avoid this from knocking me back? It's sort of annoying to fight Big Poes because of this, as it frequently ends up in me getting knocked out of my first few hits and having to restart my string, kind of breaking the "flow." I've attempted dashing through the blast wave but find they are not telegraphed enough to react to them, or my reaction times are just shit.

I only have the Digging Mitts (or whatever badge ignores guarding enemies) on level 2, but I find getting knocked back more annoying than the lack of damage so I'd like a way to avoid it.

oatmeal

Banned
I loved that little detail too!

I would have loved if they made LoZ1 a final unlockable and added all those characters.

A gimmicky LOZ1 where you play as the characters with their weapons (Think of like 3D Dot Game Heroes) would have been hysterical.

WarAdept

I have a question regarding enemy champions: Some of them have a sort of "burst" that knocks you out of your combo. Big Poe does this very frequently with some white glowing shock wave emanating from him. Is there any way to avoid this from knocking me back? It's sort of annoying to fight Big Poes because of this, as it frequently ends up in me getting knocked out of my first few hits and having to restart my string, kind of breaking the "flow." I've attempted dashing through the blast wave but find they are not telegraphed enough to react to them, or my reaction times are just shit.

I only have the Digging Mitts (or whatever badge ignores guarding enemies) on level 2, but I find getting knocked back more annoying than the lack of damage so I'd like a way to avoid it.

All captains and bosses can take 3 attacks before they either block or break your combo. This is actually beneficial against quite a few enemies because it leads towards them using an attack which exposes their Weak Point gauge.

E.g. Darknuts will often retaliate with it's Red Eye stab. Volga does the same with his jumping spear stab. Dodge and proceed to take off chunks of their lifebars through Weak Point exploitation.

I've been playing a lot more Agitha lately and she's really starting to click with me :3

As someone mentioned before, against a boss spamming XXY-B repeatedly when the weakpoint comes up will shred it down pretty darn quick so I've been destroying a lot of monsters with it.

Against humanoids I was starting to get annoyed at how easy it is to drop the butterfly combo (XXXY-YXXXY) so I've been playing about with other ideas.
I initially tried the XXY-B spam but due to the summon itself not hitting your target they'd often shake out of hitstun and slap me.
So far the most effective is to start with XY to launch and if they go up in the air you immediately follow with XXY-B: you'll almost always air-juggle them with the second X hit putting them back up long enough to be hit by the beetle without being able to recover. Repeat this sequence ad-nauseam :3
The only person this doesn't quite work with is Volga, because he often somehow air-recovers away from the second hit of the beetle (something nobody else seems to be able to do :eek: )

You can actually infinitely juggle all humanoids very easily just by doing XY over and over again against a wall but the damage doesn't seem all that great and though I've not tried it yet, you could likely follow the XY launch with a butterfly combo (YXXXY) which would be a much safer way to lead into it than the whirlwind combo I mentioned earlier (XXXY)

Her best crowd clearance, if you can find space to pull it off without getting interrupted, seems to be her XXXXY which makes her jump and then sends a huge beetle along in a line infront of you hitting everything in it's path, then auto-launches you to butterfly which you can then crash somewhere (Y button) for even more AoE. Generally though you don't want to be doing the third X attack (whirlwind) anywhere near enemies as not only does it lock you into the non-cancellable animation but you can be hit from the ground while doing it (even though you're up in the air :/ )

Top Bottom