• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

can someone explain to me how search works in adventure mode?

I know that I need to use items on sparkling spot but sometimes it just wont work. Like I used Impa with candle once and got a nothing happened message, later I switched to Link then used the candle and it worked

tengiants

I'm really enjoying this game, and really like the music. The version of the shop/house theme that plays before battles is sooo good.

I really don't like the graphical downgrade during coop, and wish there was an online coop instead of pad support.

But no matter my complaints I'm really loving the game. Maybe it's because I've never really played a Musou game before.

I helped like 15 network links and only one single person helped me thusfar, is this normal? The ratio seems kinda off..

And again I feel the need to tell everyone that the golden rank materials drop far too infrequent. I played about 40 hours and got about 10 golden rank materials, of which about 2 are for the offense badges and pretty much 0 for the defense badges. That's really irritating, am I doing something wrong? I use weapons with Materials+, but it really doesn't help that much.

Spocker

can someone explain to me how search works in adventure mode?

I know that I need to use items on sparkling spot but sometimes it just wont work. Like I used Impa with candle once and got a nothing happened message, later I switched to Link then used the candle and it worked

You have to use the item on the right square (the correct rock, bush wall etc), to find the square to use it on you have to use a compass first.

You have to use the item on the right square (the correct rock, bush wall etc), to find the square to use it on you have to use a compass first.

I did but still got that message, then later I came back using the same item on the same spot but with different character then it worked, dont know why :(

kunonabi

You can use the Wii remote nonchuck combo. I haven't tried it myself, but it should not be very good. Hard to do combos with wiggling and no stick to control the camera.

It supports Wii U Pro Controller - my preferred way of playing the game - and not the classic controller AFAIK.

I use the wiimote/nunchuck and combos aren't difficult and the lack of camera control hasn't been an issue. I'd have preferred using the wiimote shake for supers but it is still perfectly playable. CCpro should have been option though. I'm not buying a pro controller no matter how many coop modes get locked behind it.

Spocker

I did but still got that message, then later I came back using the same item on the same spot but with different character then it worked, dont know why :(

That's weird, the character shouldn't make any difference. The only thing i'd guess is that you'd accidentaly used a bomb instead of a candle without noticing.

1)Fill Magic Meter.

2)Stand in front of the boss.

3)Enter Focus Spirit.

4)Press A.

5)Profit.
Oh I know this, however this doesn't change the fact that Mahandla is worthy of my scorn.
Plus I recall in that exact event of mine it turned up as a surprise boss after defeating what I thought was the enemy commander who I of course just spent my potion juice on, those A ranks for time don't wait around for potion hunts.

As for your question...
So anyone that has ghirahim and has upgraded him with attack badges, what material do I need for his Kokiri sword I?
Solider's Uniform

Fandangox

Oh I know this, however this doesn't change the fact that Mahandla is worthy of my scorn.
Plus I recall in that exact event of mine it turned up as a surprise boss after defeating what I thought was the enemy commander who I of course just spent my potion juice on, those A ranks for time don't wait around for potion hunts.

As for your question...

Solider's Uniform

Ah thanks, probably I get those from that one Legends Mision I haven't played yet.

And yeah we are sruck waiting for the bosess to show their wearkpoint in Legends mode, but at least Adventure mode stages with bosses throw around transport captains with magic jars for this.

That's weird, the character shouldn't make any difference. The only thing i'd guess is that you'd accidentaly used a bomb instead of a candle without noticing.

I only had candle back then so Im pretty sure it wasnt the case. also I noticed that when it happened, my character was standing on top of the spot instead of being a few panels away. Im suspecting whatever happened was because I used items immediately after using the compass

so when you use R to do the magic powered up mode and you get all those bonuses, are those only for the duration you are powered up that one time? Or do they boost things for the rest of the stage? If it is the first, do you literally have to make sure you kill an enemy and get it to drop a weapon to reap the benefit of the weapon boost?

jimi_dini

Final Link weapon unlocked.

Wow, that mission wasn't even difficult.

She is pretty shity with nearly all her attacks, but she has a trick. YYX-B. That combo is the one where she does a circle in the floor to invoke the giant bettle.

quoting this again. Works like a charm. Almost like cheating :p

Guys, super quick question:

This game supports the pro controller, right? I really don't care for using the gamepad to play action games.

Of course. It even supports Wiimote.

This game supports the pro controller, right? I really don't care for using the gamepad to play action games.

Soodanim

Edit: ^ yes mullet2000, I use the Pro Controller. The Gamepad screen adds fuck all to the experience

Finished Legend mode earlier (most of the game was normal but last was on hard). Got some nice 8bit swords then tried the first mission on Hero. What the shit? The jump in enemy damage and enemy health is ridiculous. I'll stick to hard for playing again and come back to it when everyone's level 1 million.

I was quite disappointed that they didn't give everyone a turn as the recommended character. I used who they told me to use all the way through (except re-read for skultulas) and half of the squad doesn't get a look in. That said, I didn't much enjoy Midna or Fi, and Zelda isn't much better. The rapier noise gets on my nerves.

In Adventure mode, is it a case of needing to use a compass every time? Or are the secrets in the same places as LoZ? I dint remember them, but I'd be willing to look them up if it means avoiding doing the same missions over and over again. And while I'm on the subject, I used a compass on an early screen, it sparkled a rock, used a bomb on it, and nothing happened. The fuck? And what does the level 2 mean on a greyed out A rank reward?

RiggyRob

Edit: ^ yes mullet2000, I use the Pro Controller. The Gamepad screen adds fuck all to the experience

Finished Legend mode earlier (most of the game was normal but last was on hard). Got some nice 8bit swords then tried the first mission on Hero. What the shit? The jump in enemy damage and enemy health is ridiculous. I'll stick to hard for playing again and come back to it when everyone's level 1 million.

I was quite disappointed that they didn't give everyone a turn as the recommended character. I used who they told me to use all the way through (except re-read for skultulas) and half of the squad doesn't get a look in. That said, I didn't much enjoy Midna or Fi, and Zelda isn't much better. The rapier noise gets on my nerves.

In Adventure mode, is it a case of needing to use a compass every time? Or are the secrets in the same places as LoZ? I dint remember them, but I'd be willing to look them up if it means avoiding doing the same missions over and over again. And while I'm on the subject, I used a compass on an early screen, it sparkled a rock, used a bomb on it, and nothing happened. The fuck? And what does the level 2 mean on a greyed out A rank reward?

The secrets should be in the same place as the original Legend of Zelda, but since I never played that I've been using the compass on all the non-obvious ones.

You need the Power Bracelet for rocks/boulders in open space, bombs are specifically for walls. Level 2 refers to the next tier of a weapon - for example, the White Sword is the level 2 version of the Knight Sword, which comes under Link's Hylian Sword collection.

Blues1990

While I can assume that this is considered to be old news by now, apparently, this is a thing that's happening:

large.jpg

Now I have this stupid song playing in the back of my head.

Does anyody know the specific requirements to unlock certain missions in adventure mode? I've unlocked a square where I have to fight Agitha among other mobs, but the game don't let me start it. (quite early in the unlocked squares from the twilight princess line)
I had a similar one at a lake where it wouldnt start unless i tried it with
Ruto
, but no luck here.
There's an unlockable char on a square quite near, but i can't reach it since this square seems locked.
I think can reach it by going the long way through the graveyard, but it seems very excessive.

I came across this issue as well while on-route to unlocking Agitha. I'm assuming you're hitting the same blockade I did: The trick is that you need to unlock the last character in legend mode (happens after you defeat Cia) at which point it'll let you play. This is kind of odd as said character isn't a required for it but it won't let you play without them unlocked for heck knows what reason :eek:

Edit: I see people mentioning Agitha and the XXY-B combo, so I figured I'd share a little combo I do that took half of an enemy Midna's hp in one go: XXXY-YXXXY.

In more understandable terms: XXX will get you a whirlwind, pressing Y will allow you to blow the whirlwind in a direction and extend it's duration with it still continually hitting whoever it's carrying, pressing Y after that launches you on your butterfly which will hit the people trapped in the whirlwind with it's startup animation and the three X's will do air juggle hits with the butterfly on the enemies you sent into the air as long as you aim them right. The final Y is crashing your butterfly into them just as they land.

While lengthy and sometimes tricky to aim it does incredible damage on humanoid opponents without them being able to do anything back.

MoxManiac

I thought HW would be a pretty dumb game, but there's definitely some strategy involved, as you have to decide which of the many critical situations to address first.

This is pretty much true of every musou game and why the complaints of it being a mindless series is horseshit.

Added a couple of people's IDs looking through the thread. My id is andymatronic if people want network Links.

I've bought a knockoff Pro controller off ebay for a third of the official one's price. Here's hoping it works. I'm so annoyed the CC's don't work. I don't think I'll even bother trying to use the Wii remote method because motion in a game like this is ridiculous. Why they didn't include an option to turn it off I don't know.

911.jpg

Alas poor, Cia.
This is something I don't like about the game's story. It's so ridiculous. Also I was kinda hoping Lana herself was going to have some sort of reference to the main series and be Lanayru reincarnated or something, instead she's just Xiao Qiao with a spellbook.

Spocker

I came across this issue as well while on-route to unlocking Agitha. I'm assuming you're hitting the same blockade I did: The trick is that you need to unlock the last character in legend mode (happens after you defeat Cia) at which point it'll let you play. This is kind of odd as said character isn't a required for it but it won't let you play without them unlocked for heck knows what reason :eek:

Thanks. That's strange indeed. I've been playing the adventure mode alongside Legend mode, doing the adventure maps that's been unlocked as i go along. All of a sudden I had a lot of squares i couldnt reach even though my legend mode progression indicated they were available to me.

Durden77

I thought the stuff they did with Link in legend mode was really weird. Spoilers I guess?

Stuff like him getting overconfident and stuff. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of him being the chosen one for the triforce of courage and the Master Sword? I mean, everone's got a little darkness in them, but it was just strange to see for a character that's always been about purity.

But I guess in this game Link is being characterized more than your typical Zelda games, where he's just a mirror for the player. Kind of weird them treating him as an actual character in this game.

Best weapon for clearing out those (Insert Amount Of Kills Here) use a star 5 Ball and chain. That gets the job done way more easier for me I found.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I thought the stuff they did with Link in legend mode was really weird. Spoilers I guess?

Stuff like him getting overconfident and stuff. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of him being the chosen one for the triforce of courage and the Master Sword? I mean, everone's got a little darkness in them, but it was just strange to see for a character that's always been about purity.

But I guess in this game Link is being characterized more than your typical Zelda games, where he's just a mirror for the player. Kind of weird them treating him as an actual character in this game.

Thanks. That's strange indeed. I've been playing the adventure mode alongside Legend mode, doing the adventure maps that's been unlocked as i go along. All of a sudden I had a lot of squares i couldnt reach even though my legend mode progression indicated they were available to me.

No worries :3
I was doing the same as you, jumping between the two modes until I hit that and it confuzzled the heck out of me at the time.

Also, I only realised today that it's not just rewards that can be unlocked via searching: a path I needed to get to Lana's last weapon-type was locked until I used a raft on the pier in the square before it. I'd been ignoring it the whole time because I thought it was only for revealing rewards, until I realised the level in question didn't have any ? rewards on it XD

zroid

Banned
This is pretty much true of every musou game and why the complaints of it being a mindless series is horseshit.

It definitely isn't mindless, but it is repetitive. I think the unique playstyles of the various characters and their weapons, in addition to some of the more interesting challenges presented during the campaign, help to alleviate the repetition to a degree.

I am really enjoying the game, especially as a Zelda fan, but my one real complaint is I feel the missions usually overstay their welcome.

Anteo

It's not the first time that link's courage works against him, remember when he tried to fight ganondorf with the sealed master sword in wind waker? Or when he tried to block Vaati's magic with his small shield in Minish Cap at the start of the game after watching him destroy the picori blade just like that? Or in OoT were he draw his sword as a kid vs a mounted ganondorf?

georly

Ok, just beat story mode, on to adventure mode. Are all of the items finite? Can you mess up and not progress if you use them all? Is there a way to keep getting compasses, or am I going to have to eventually get a guide to learn where to bomb/burn, etc?

What's the best way to level up underleveled characters? Free mode?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Seriously, its been absolutely frustrating for many years having unfounded vitriol spewed at this series of games from the completely naive enthusiast press.

Souls games kind of suffered from this same problem until the sheepish hivemind gave away to genuine curiosity, exposing how engaging and fruitful the games actually can be, often many years late.

Partly the problem does lie in how difficult the motivation or 'hook' can be to discern from a fresh vanilla save. Earning skills, combos, and sussing out the flow of map objectives is a bit rough to negotiate in the early going when all you seemingly are doing is whacking away at mindless fodder with very limited skills and movelists. This is where the buck stops for most critics leading to the vocal whinging. It doesn't take long before the pieces fall into place and the layered mechanics start to tie into each other. Having brand recognition from something like Zelda does help with that initial engagement hurdle, but the stigma still remains sadly.

It definitely isn't mindless, but it is repetitive. I think the unique playstyles of the various characters and their weapons, in addition to some of the more interesting challenges presented during the campaign, help to alleviate the repetition to a degree.

I am really enjoying the game, especially as a Zelda fan, but my one real complaint is I feel the missions usually overstay their welcome.

Yea, repetition is a problem is most all videogames, but its certainly more blatant in these games. Though the dangling carrots feeding you further into the cycle are far more pronounced in Musou games. Hyrule, compared to other recent Musou titles, does a decent job of filling in the slaughter with objectives and battlefield progression flow, but its still a slight class below how chock filled the mainline games provide in each combat scenario. I am kind of bummed that Hyrule forces you to earn keeps from killing fodder for instance. Reserved for the Gundam and One Piece spinoffs that pad out gametime and enforce more of a tug-of-war mentality that more recent Musou games differ with far more split objectives with some choices and consequences that directly impact the conquest in each map.

Zoracka

Ok, just beat story mode, on to adventure mode. Are all of the items finite? Can you mess up and not progress if you use them all? Is there a way to keep getting compasses, or am I going to have to eventually get a guide to learn where to bomb/burn, etc?

What's the best way to level up underleveled characters? Free mode?
Cards reappear on maps after some time. I've got the compass from the first adventure level a couple of times.

georly

You can spend rupiees to lvl up characters up to the lvl of your highest character.

Sorry, I meant other than rupees. Right now it's a bit too expensive for my tastes! Maybe later, i'll use them.

Cards reappear on maps after some time. I've got the compass from the first adventure level a couple of times.

Ah, so it's time based. Real world time or 'after doing a couple of missions' time?

Top Bottom