• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

One of the best? Definitly. THE best? The jury is still out. There are some things preventing it from deserving that title in my eyes (wonky camera, FPS drop, etc).
Though, compared to other Musou title, I guess it is very good one.
The Zelda fan service is what puts it over the top for me.

If this was the same game but with new characters and a new IP, I probably wouldn't even care!

This is fan service at its best.

Miyamoto was right that this is a celebration of Zelda.

Pophead

Very different. It's not at all like traditional character action games.

Kind of imagine it's like a MOBA where you have total control. Most of the enemies you'll fight are creeps, some are other Lords. Warriors games are like that, where you mow through creeps to get to the Lords. You have a strong attack, a light attack, and a few other quirks depending on the character, as well as a full blown Super move you build meter toward.

I'd say see if any store around you has a demo or maybe watch a video on Youtube, but if you're not that in to Zelda, I am not sure you'll get enough out of it to warrant a price you'd be willing to part with.

Ten hearts. But they can disappear fast.

Have been watching Youtube videos as you suggested - looks quite enjoyable.

Any major puzzle elements in the game so far?

So far, best musou game ever made!

Anyone else agree?

I've only played a few hours so far and I'm really enjoying. Not sure if it's the best yet as it does have a number of shortcomings, but it's definitely one of my favourites. After I've put in 30-40 hours I'll see how I feel about it as a whole ;b

The guy playing kind of sucks ;b I didn't want to spoil myself too much but I took a few glances and they'll definitely be interesting to try out.

seems the wii u got an update today and new t and cs, but due to new t and cs you cant play online as the servers are getting hammered, so no network links for you.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So I unlocked Hero mode and deduced what the secondary Gold Skulltula criteria was, but for the first two levels, it didn't activate. Not sure what I am doing wrong. First one shouldn't even be missable.

I tried the first level on Hero and the second one on Hard and neither one produced the second skulltula.

Hmm... I got the first level's 2nd skulltula on Hero mode tonight. Played a lvl 40 Link with a beefed up white sword(you must play the level with Link's regular sword class, not the Master Sword or other weapon type). Essentially you have to ensure Zelda does her attack successfully using the Fairy Fountain. I made sure to just beeline to all objectives and to help anyone that calls for me and the skulltula appeared not long after the fairy spell went off to collect.

Actually pretty shocked that I was able to do it at lvl 40. Expected Hero mode to be much worse, even on the easiest mission in the campaign. Dodongo was a bit of a pain, but only because his health chipped down so slowly that half the battle was just looping the pattern over and over.

I'm just glad that Cia has costumes for hat+mask, just hat and no hat or mask. I would've been disappointed if I couldn't wear the snazzy hat without having to keep the funny beak mask on :p
Really liking the look of her moveset so far though :D

Hmm...I sort of don't like Darunia because, he's so tall, the camera has a weird angle, especially for some of his specials.
In that case, one of Link's weapons will drive you up the wall... probably Epona too actually :p

got a gossip stone to pop up. the heck do I use on it?
You don't, simply making it appear just unlocks stuff on the map square like rewards or even allowing you to play it in the first place (some don't have the monsters on it and you can't play until you reveal them.) Think of it like the stairs that appear: they're just there to show that you've already found something in the search :3

Kinsei

Banned
Apparently the update went live in Japan and I guess they put the Oct. 16th stuff up there too.

Apparently it contains:

The Cia trio along with Story scenario's for them.

A new adventure mode map that is just as big as the first.

It has Heart pieces and new Skulltula's along with Lvl2 and Lvl3 weapons for the villains.

New Lvl4 weapons possibly for every character.

Also a new icon that looks like a T-shirt so possibly new costumes for characters.

And of course the Epona Weapon for Link.

And the original adventure mode map was 128 stages or so. I'm impressed.

Jesus, talk about a lot of bang for your buck, and that's only the first of three packs! This game is going to keep completionists busy for a very long time.

NeonZ

So, are we not getting any new stages for DLC? I thought that's what Adventure Map meant at first...

I mean, a Termina Map for the MM DLC with Clock Town in the middle, and the four areas surrounding it, makes SO much sense.

I think it's still possible as part of the later Adventure maps. "Master Quest" keeps the same overworld design and doesn't add any new stage, but that's fitting considering its name (the Japanese is even called "Ura Zelda" which is used not only for the OoT remix, but also the Second Quest in the original game). However, the Master Quest Adventure map does adds new weapon skins/rankings and outfit variations which weren't listed in the season pass description.

The later adventure maps could have one new stage based on the themed series (Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask) and reused for various missions. They're all 3d games too, so they could reuse even some assets. I guess there's a chance they could just reuse the same stages though... but in that case, why limit them to only 3d games?

Jesus, talk about a lot of bang for your buck, and that's only the first of three packs!

First of four packs, actually. Don't forget the 'Boss' one with two new game modes. On the negative side, those descriptions are making it sound like the three free characters will be pretty gimped without the DLC, since their high ranking weapons are apparently only in the Master Quest. Although I could be mistaken...

kiryogi

Banned
Holy crap, had a lvl99 assist link, at lvl 50, it's was impossible to beat. The whole fact you lose morale instantly when you start too due to the staggering difference D:

Bytes

I hate that the minimap sometimes zooms in so close. It is really annoying because I need the zoomed out view to navigate the map and see the objectives. How do I zoom out the minimap?

Kinsei

Banned
I hate that the minimap sometimes zooms in so close. It is really annoying because I need the zoomed out view to navigate the map and see the objectives. How do I zoom out the minimap?

Hitting up and down on the D-pad zooms/unzooms. The only reason the map is zooming in is because you're accidentally doing it yourself.

I'm so dumb.

I forgot to do the search to unlock Zant as a reward and did the stage all the way through before realizing. I even had the right item to unlock him too.

So frustrating.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Looks like Epona will have the usual horseshit Warriors horse controls. I hate how they turn on a dime.

Oh well.

No, its not a glitch.
He used a custom song in the last level he played and when he started a new level the custom song is still in place, so when it loads and are in the menu in the next level you play you still hear the custom one you selected for the last level.
To switch off the custom song you need to get again to a new level, go into music slection, and press X, after that is the typical menu song what you hear.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Holy crap, had a lvl99 assist link, at lvl 50, it's was impossible to beat. The whole fact you lose morale instantly when you start too due to the staggering difference D:

I beat one with my Lvl48 Ganondorf. And my army's morale increased when they saw me struggle against Dinolfos and showed them who the real Demon King is around here.

Tough battle overall.

emb

I'm so dumb.

I forgot to do the search to unlock Zant as a reward and did the stage all the way through before realizing. I even had the right item to unlock him too.

So frustrating.
That is frustrating. I did the same for Ghirahim.

Unrelated, but also annoying: the Gamepad battery lasts such a short time. Most of the time it hasn't bothered me much, but this game seems to constantly make me want to play 'one more level'. Almost every time I've played this game, the battery has actually died (starting from full) before I was ready to quit. I don't want to have to buy an expanded battery though.

People who have problem with Fi vs the Imprssioned (I find her pretty easy because she can take her toes really fast with no harm if you play well)...
Wait unitl you need to do a whole difficult level on skyloft, and then at the end, fight an imprisoned.
Zant is shit fighting the imprssioned even if you are lucky and take no damage, becuase he needs triple the time to do harm to the weakpoint shield. Yep, you are not doing that in less than 15 minutes. Good luck to get that A rank!

Fuck poes.

They're particularly annoying as anyone who moves forward when attacking (i.e. Lana) because you will inevitably crash in to their slow-moving orbs when attacking their weak spot.

Indeed.
Worst case scenario is battling 4 of those at the same time, throwing all those orbs at the same time, while other 4 aeroalfos with golden aura attack you from behind ot are throwing fire or shit.
So, soooo fun. :mad:
Those orbs dont even dissapear when they are killed FFS.

People like Fi in this? Only used her once and hated her >.>

Yes, level her up and extend her skill tree. Same with Ruto.
She smokes Volga (in hard adavnture stages when the fucker doesnt want to show his weakpoint) becuase you can attack him nonstop, and dodge when he does his shitty fast sword to the floor attack.

NeonZ

Wait, where does Link get his
red tunic
from?

I haven't gotten the
Goron tunic
yet, but got the
Zora tunic
from finishing the first set of Skulltulas from Legend mode (+2 post game ones) and then completing
the new Adventure battle that opened up
, so I'd guess you'll get similar prizes from other sets of Skulltulas.

Exile20

That is frustrating. I did the same for Ghirahim.

Unrelated, but also annoying: the Gamepad battery lasts such a short time. Most of the time it hasn't bothered me much, but this game seems to constantly make me want to play 'one more level'. Almost every time I've played this game, the battery has actually died (starting from full) before I was ready to quit. I don't want to have to buy an expanded battery though.

I bought this and it works like a charm.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009Q5XGO2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

ohlawd

You don't, simply making it appear just unlocks stuff on the map square like rewards or even allowing you to play it in the first place (some don't have the monsters on it and you can't play until you reveal them.) Think of it like the stairs that appear: they're just there to show that you've already found something in the search :3

thanks. you know like everything :p

doing the tiles near the border is killing me. taking way too long to get stuff done. highest is lvl 41 Lana and 38 Link while everyone is in their 30s. 30 to 40 is like 100k rupees. all I realy wanna do is get everyone's lvl 3 weapons but it's pretty killer for my low lvl charas.

emb

I'll probably end up going for it. Just not sure how worth it it's going to be for me. Most games haven't inspired me to play in such long sessions lately, and for Smash Bros. I'll just be using a Cube controller.

Come to think of it, there's an option to just use the Pro controller isn't there? If so I should probably just do that. That thing lasts for eternity.

Bytes

I second this product. I purchased something similar here in Canada. It adds some weight which can get uncomfortable over time, but it does at least double the battery life.

I personally use this solution here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ARMQ7VM/ref=wms_ohs_product_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-Pilot-2GS-10000mAh-Smartphones/dp/B00ITILPZ4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1412085255&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+battery

Just plug it in when the gamepad is low on battery. I like it because there's no extra weight added to the controller.

Fandangox

Is it just me or is this the first non-dynasty musou where morale actually affects your army in a significant way?

In Samurai and Orochi I never really saw morale having much of an effect.

lionpants

Come to think of it, there's an option to just use the Pro controller isn't there? If so I should probably just do that. That thing lasts for eternity.
Yup, I just leave the game pad on the cradle and use the pro controller unless I'm cooping.

NeonZ

Is it just me or is this the first non-dynasty musou where morale actually affects your army in a significant way?

In Samurai and Orochi I never really saw morale having much of an effect.

In Samurai Warriors Chronicles, moral could have some really big effects, like larger or smaller hp - up to the point of no hit stun for any officer if several factors were combined (high moral, inside region controlled by their army - control zones are based on the owned bases, but not restricted to the bases themselves).

Fandangox

In Samurai Warriors Chronicles, moral could have some really big effects, like larger or smaller hp - up to the point of no hit stun for any officer if several factors were combined (high moral, inside region controlled by their army - control zones are based on the owned bases, but not restricted to the bases themselves).

I see, how's chronicles by the way? It's the only samurai warriors game I haven't played, have heard is good enough, but really haven't heard that many impressions from other people.

True that, I hated Volga during my first session yesterday, especially when he does that big ass attack where he morphs into Volvagia.

I'm having a hard time dodging his charge. >_<

But thats his easiest attack to dodge that shows his weakpoint for most time!

Just run when he throws the fire ball and then dodge, doge, dodge all the time until he hits the floor.

His worst attacks are his combos and trowing random air from the distance when you are busy killing other things. But his really worst one is the fire column, it takes like 4 hearts. Bye bye A rank and hard skulltulla! Thank you so much volga for waisting my time!

I see, how's chronicles by the way? It's the only samurai warriors game I haven't played, have heard is good enough, but really haven't heard that many impressions from other people.

Im looking for a pal cheap version of it becuase i heard in this thread it was one of the ebst portable ones. Can't find anything, at least not cheap.

NeonZ

It's built on the SW3 engine, but with some tweaked movesets and also the extra characters from Z. The weapon system also was modified too. They use its main addition pretty well (switch between 4 characters in different positions of the map - also can give orders to the AI while you're controlling someone else) by giving a big focus to the objectives and zone control. Characters also have special skills that use the spirit bar and can have various effects, from healing yourself to increasing your army's power. Certain combinations of characters also have unique skills.

Although there's a big objective focus, the more annoying secondary objectives from SW3 mostly aren't there - like killing officers with a certain combo count and such. Unlike most Warriors games, there's only one mode, which is both the story mode and free mode (you can use any characters you've unlocked in any stage after clearing that part of the story), and you need to fight alongside certain characters and interact with them successfully to unlock their personal events and their moveset for the main character.

The main story is mostly linear and you can't chose factions during most of it. You fight alongside various factions in the first part, then Nobunaga in the second, Hideyoshi in the third, and only in the final one you get to choose between Mitsunari and later Yukimura or Ieyasu (there are also a few extra battle scenarios, that range from historical ones left out for some random reason to "dream matches"). Like mentioned before, you unlock interactive story scenes and events by raising bonds with each character and sometimes taking them to certain stages. So, everyone gets quite a few story scenes and interactions with the player, even if you can't really join their faction in the main plot.

They also include some battle dialogue for characters who aren't supposed to be in certain battles - like how Yoshimoto Imagawa has special dialogue if you take him to fight Nobunaga in the last battle of the first part. In fact, his story events take place after his death, somehow. Aside from the lack of side modes, another problem is the low number of grunts for a musou game though. Turning off the 3d adds more, but it's still a low number overall. Characters also had low detail models in battle, but they use high quality ones for the story scenes and conversations.

Anyway, I overall really liked it. The objective system + multiple characters work well, and then unlocking events and endings for the various characters was fun. Of course, if you can't stand the SW3 movesets, SWC likely won't be fun either. I just wish there had been more split paths before the final part of the story...

Seik

Banned
But thats his easiest attack to dodge that shows his weakpoint for most time!

Just run when he throws the fire ball and then dodge, doge, dodge all the time until he hits the floor.

His worst attacks are his combos and trowing random air from the distance when you are busy killing other things. But his really worst one is the fire column, it takes like 4 hearts. Bye bye A rank and hard skulltulla! Thank you so much volga for waisting my time!

Yeah well, tbh I'm still in the learning curve, the only Warriors game I really played was Orochi 3 on the Wii U and it was nothing serious enough to have me wanting to learn the mechanics.

Now, it's a whole different story though. :p

Playing on Hard doesn't help also, I guess, but I want a bit of a challenge while I'm playing, I did the first stage on Normal and thought it was way too easy. I'll probably play again tonight, I'm addicted since yesterday.

Yeah well, tbh I'm still in the learning curve, the only Warriors game I really played was Orochi 3 on the Wii U and it was nothing serious enough to have me wanting to learn the mechanics.

Now, it's a whole different story though. :p

Playing on Hard doesn't help also, I guess, but I want a bit of a challenge while I'm playing, I did the first stage on Normal and thought it was way too easy. I'll probably play again tonight, I'm addicted since yesterday.

Its my first warriors game and also started in hard.
Le me say I dont usually like playing games on hard the first time a touch them, but I had a great time with it. Thought it was a good doable challenge and nothing too crazy.

NeonZ

If you're playing on hard, don't be shy on spending rupees to raise your character's level.

inner-G

Banned
I just picked this up last night. The Zelda theme really makes it grab me in a way other Musou games haven't.

Died twice before I figured out the 'trick' for that first boss, lol.

Fandangox

It's built on the SW3 engine, but with some tweaked movesets and also the extra characters from Z. The weapon system also was modified too. They use its main addition pretty well (switch between 4 characters in different positions of the map - also can give orders to the AI while you're controlling someone else) by giving a big focus to the objectives and zone control. Characters also have special skills that use the spirit bar and can have various effects, from healing yourself to increasing your army's power. Certain combinations of characters also have unique skills.

Although there's a big objective focus, the more annoying secondary objectives from SW3 mostly aren't there - like killing officers with a certain combo count and such. Unlike most Warriors games, there's only one mode, which is both the story mode and free mode (you can use any characters you've unlocked in any stage after clearing that part of the story), and you need to fight alongside certain characters and interact with them successfully to unlock their personal events and their moveset for the main character.

The main story is mostly linear and you can't chose factions during most of it. You fight alongside various factions in the first part, then Nobunaga in the second, Hideyoshi in the third, and only in the final one you get to choose between Mitsunari and later Yukimura or Ieyasu (there are also a few extra battle scenarios, that range from historical ones left out for some random reason to "dream matches"). Like mentioned before, you unlock interactive story scenes and events by raising bonds with each character and sometimes taking them to certain stages. So, everyone gets quite a few story scenes and interactions with the player, even if you can't really join their faction in the main plot.

They also include some battle dialogue for characters who aren't supposed to be in certain battles - like how Yoshimoto Imagawa has special dialogue if you take him to fight Nobunaga in the last battle of the first part. In fact, his story events take place after his death, somehow. Aside from the lack of side modes, another problem is the low number of grunts for a musou game though. Turning off the 3d adds more, but it's still a low number overall. Characters also had low detail models in battle, but they use high quality ones for the story scenes and conversations.

Anyway, I overall really liked it. The objective system + multiple characters work well, and then unlocking events and endings for the various characters was fun. Of course, if you can't stand the SW3 movesets, SWC likely won't be fun either. I just wish there had been more split paths before the final part of the story...

Thanks a lot for the write up. Controlling 4 characters per stage sounds really interesting if they make good use of it, like a la Pikmin 3. Good to hear those conditions from SW3 are gone, too.

Top Bottom