• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

I haven't figured out her Wind Waker yet but I've barely touched that, but her Rapier combined with light charges can really do some effective crowd control and devastate all the same. I think one of the most impressive things in HW vs other musou is that all the characters have some really good CC options. But yeah the key to Zelda is her light arrows in her charge strings.

Crowd control doesnt help in this stage. Thats the whole problem with her. She really needs to charge in becuase of the multiple commanders in high levels that appear. She does very little damage to them if you are not constantly in top of that.
It wouldnt be so big a of a problem if her defense wasnt that bad.
With the windwaker she moves and dodges even slower so thats really not an option.

Dont take me wrong its not impossible to do it, but when getting A rank with her in that stage (that is not even that difficult) is you praying some random shit from nowhere doesn't hit you, the charcater is not good enough for what they are asking for. As I said, she is much better and flashier with low level enemies, but once Adventure mode starts to be hard, she has no say.
She takes MUCH more work for what other characters can do easily (apart from agitha).
The last time I was doing great (again, putting a lot of extra work on my part for any random hit) but Grahim came, and just before I could kill him, the guy did some move that I tried to dodge becuase a fat moblin was coming from the side charging, and one silly hit took me like 8 hearts, i couldnt even believe it (and I suppose the moblin charge also had to hit me to create so massive damage).
Theres a part where you need to fight against Volga (oh and its so fun when he is surrounded by other high level enemies...), Wizzro throwing purple shit that takes a heart and half everytime it hits you, 2 fat moblins and 2 gibdos with yellow aura, all at the same time. I can ace it, but Zelda makes it much harder to do.
And we are talking about a level 50 Zelda here with a level 2 5 star rapier.

kiryogi

Banned
Crowd control doesnt help in this stage. Thats the whole problem with her. She really needs to charge in becuase of the multiple commanders in high levels that appear. She does very little damage to them if you are not constantly in top of that.
It wouldnt be so big a of a problem if her defense wasnt that bad.
With the windwaker she moves and dodges even slower so thats really not an option.

Dont take me wrong its not impossible to do it, but when getting A rank with her in that stage (that is not even that difficult) is you praying some random shit from nowhere doesn't hit you, the charcater is not good enough for what they are asking for. As I said, she is much better and flashier with low level enemies, but once Adventure mode starts to be hard, she has no say.
She takes MUCH more work for what other characters can do easily (apart from agitha).
The last time I was doing great (again, putting a lot of extra work on my part for any random hit) but Grahim came, and just before I could kill him, the guy did some move that I tried to dodge becuase a fat moblin was coming from the side charging, and one silly hit took me like 8 hearts, i couldnt even believe it (and I suppose the moblin charge also had to hit me to create so massive damage).

I'm looking forward to that personally. I was reading over some stuff on GFaqs early morning, it seems like C1 and C3 can be abused safely for the Wind Waker? I'm right next to the square for her LV2 Wind Waker too, so I'll definitely be tackling it sometime today.

Ken

Wow, played two hours of this last night. This game feels a lot better than WO3U though I guess this game is a lot newer than it.

I'm looking forward to that personally. I was reading over some stuff on GFaqs early morning, it seems like C1 and C3 can be abused safely for the Wind Waker? I'm right next to the square for her LV2 Wind Waker too, so I'll definitely be tackling it sometime today.

I dont usually do C1, but doing C3 with the wind waker seems good. The problem is, that the level 1 wind waker doesnt do enough damage and the bigger problem with her is that the wind waker makes Zelda control much floatier and slower (dodges resembles agitha's for example)
Its a pain in the ass against wizzro and volga in that stage.

Good luck with the stage, hope you have a better time than me lol
I probably beat it in the next hour after i finish doing some paper work I need to do. Like I said, the level per se is not that difficult.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah that lvl2 Baton unlock stage is a pain in the ass. Kinda funny the stage it is blocking is super easy.

------------

And it's partially terrible since I don't really like Zelda. Her attacks seem powerful but they do crap damage. And that's with the highest power Rapiers you have available.

Mind you I didn't use a Lvl3 Rapier.

Dizzy-4U

Not feeling most of the stages, too dark/gloomy for my taste. The very first one and the skyward sword one are great, more like those please.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Not feeling most of the stages, too dark/gloomy for my taste. The very first one and the skyward sword one are great, more like those please.

Skyward Sword is literally my favorite stage in the game.

The SS Remix is so hype, I use that for Adventure Mode.

Even though it's dark, Cia's Palace is the most impressive stage for me too. I love how it looks, and that Legend level is seriously hype.

Okay, so I have one major complaint about Adventure Mode.

I cannot stand how you're limited to certain characters for a lot of the maps. Right now, the only maps I can play are limited to Lana and Fi, and I absolutely loathe playing as those characters.

Damn son, just let me play as Impa and Ganondorf 24/7 pls, thanks.

kiryogi

Banned

I cannot stand how you're limited to certain characters for a lot of the maps. Right now, the only maps I can play are limited to Lana and Fi, and I absolutely loathe playing as those characters.

I personally love these limitations as it encourages you to play the entire cast, but also learn them inside and out. I think Adventure Mode would have been a huge drag if we could choose whoever we wanted and just steamroll it. But the challenges are built around certain chars specifically and it shows.

RiggyRob

Play co-op.
Make partner play the restricted character.
???
Profit.

emb

I personally love these limitations as it encourages you to play the entire cast, but also learn them inside and out. I think Adventure Mode would have been a huge drag if we could choose whoever we wanted and just steamroll it. But the challenges are built around certain chars specifically and it shows.
I'm kinda on both sides of this. I love that I have a reason to actually use and get excited about leveling up the 2/3 of the cast that I would otherwise rarely use... but at the same time, I get kinda bummed any time I see a Midna or Agitha or even sometimes Fi level. Makes me put off doing the level like it's some chore.
Play co-op.
Make partner play the restricted character.
???
Profit.
Oh, can we play co op adventure mode? Does the game scale in difficulty to account for more players?

That might be a good way to get through some of the stages that give me trouble.

El Odio

Banned
I picked this up on release last week but was too sick over the weekend to actually start playing. Managed to get a few hours in while in between classes and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. In Story mode I've only gotten up to unlocking Lana but I'm having so much fun going back to previous stages to test out everyone's abilities and new weapons I've gotten in adventure mode so far. The Guantlets/ball and chain are my absolute favorite right now.
I can't be the only one who thinks the Great Fairies in this game look a little bit like Katey Segal can I?

I have a question. What do I have to do in the Adventure Stages that say "The enemies are hidden and must be revealed"? :/

You need to use a harp on the blue butterflies.
This will reveal the mission but not the A rank criteria which will usually require another search item reveal.

So I have the Twilight Princess and the 'Dorf skin packs but how do I select those ingame? I think I must blind because I really can't find the skin option menu.

RiggyRob

Oh, can we play co op adventure mode? Does the game scale in difficulty to account for more players?

That might be a good way to get through some of the stages that give me trouble.

You can do co-op on everything except the first stage in Legend mode - you might find the number of enemies change depending on how you and your partner are doing. One example is if you're split up, you'll find it takes longer to take keeps, but of course if you're split up you can take two keeps at once.

LegendX48

Hey now, Lana w/spell book ain't that bad. Fi can FOAD though.

Nohar

Finally beat Ruto's stage in which you unlock her level 3 weapon. Never. again. That stage is just downright awful/frustrating:
  • Even with a level 50 Ruto and a 5 star level 2 weapon, killing the officiers takes a while.
  • As soon as you start, all 3 officers you need to kill rush to your main base, and each one of them is accompanied by 2 to 3 ice souls. So, worst case scenario, you have to fight in the middle of 3 winged lizard and 9 ice souls, the trash, and your own guys, all this people slowing down the game like crazy. Good luck keeping your health intact when this crowd is spamming attacks. Thanksfully, you can stop the one is the northern corner inside the middle keep, and then deal with the other two later. But there is one BIG problem... THE GODDAMNED CUCCOS!
  • All the battlefield keeps are invaded periodically by cuccos. If you don't deal with them, they take the keep they were fighting in, raise an army, and raid other keeps (and they won't stop at the keep they captured, no no no no no, they continue to pop all over the place). If they appear in the northern keeps, everything is fine, it is the enemy who will have a problem. If they appear in YOUR keeps, on the southern side of the map, right after beginning the mission, you can give up and restart said mission, because you can't possibly deal with a cucco invasion and Zant's army attacking your main base and your leader. Not to mention that losing a keep to cuccos means those gallinaceans will attack your base and Fi, and when you are trying to get the weapon or, worse, unlock the second skulltula, you just can't take the risk of fighting the infernal white feathered army of doom. And you just don't have enough time to deal with all these problems in 15min. The best solution remains to kill the 3 winged lizards ASAP, make sure Fi and/or your base isn't in danger, and rush Zant before all hell breaks lose. The good thing is you don't really have to worry about killing 1200 dudes: between the massive army at your doorstep and Zant's keep, you will have plenty to kill.
Some missions before were hard, but this one was made by a sadist.

At last, I knew it wasnt so difficult. Freaking Zelda, you cant really get hit by Grahim, Volga or Wizzro on that stage, damn.

Had to cheapen out and kill grunts with shower of arrows to then kill volga and wizzro with the special A from affar. Volga can go and eat dick.

Hey now, Lana w/spell book ain't that bad. Fi can FOAD though.

Seems another person hasnt leveled up Fi yet. She is pretty good at high levels.

Finally beat Ruto's stage in which you unlock her level 3 weapon. Never. again. That stage is just downright awful/frustrating:
  • Even with a level 50 Ruto and a 5 star level 2 weapon, killing the officiers takes a while.
  • As soon as you start, all 3 officers you need to kill rush to your main base, and each one of them is accompanied by 2 to 3 ice souls. So, worst case scenario, you have to fight in the middle of 3 winged lizard and 9 ice souls, the trash, and your own guys, all this people slowing down the game like crazy. Good luck keeping your health intact when this crowd is spamming attacks. Thanksfully, you can stop the one is the northern corner inside the middle keep, and then deal with the other two later. But there is one BIG problem... THE GODDAMNED CUCCOS!
  • All the battlefield keeps are invaded periodically by cuccos. If you don't deal with them, they take the keep they were fighting in, raise an army, and raid other keeps (and they won't stop at the keep they captured, no no no no no, they continue to pop all over the place). If they appear in the northern keeps, everything is fine, it is the enemy who will have a problem. If they appear in YOUR keeps, on the southern side of the map, right after beginning the mission, you can give up and restart said mission, because you can't possibly deal with a cucco invasion and Zant's army attacking your main base and your leader. Not to mention that losing a keep to cuccos means those gallinaceans will attack your base and Fi, and when you are trying to get the weapon or, worse, unlock the second skulltula, you just can't take the risk of fighting the infernal white feathered army of doom. And you just don't have enough time to deal with all these problems in 15min. The best solution remains to kill the 3 winged lizards ASAP, make sure Fi and/or your base isn't in danger, and rush Zant before all hell breaks lose. The good thing is you don't really have to worry about killing 1200 dudes: between the massive army at your doorstep and Zant's keep, you will have plenty to kill.
Some missions before were hard, but this one was made by a sadist.

And funnily i had a worst time with the zelda stage thats is much easier.
Dont take me wrong, had to do it like 3 time that ruto stage to get the A rank, but it was mostly becuase of the cuccos. The winged lizard and poes were a pain in the ass (becuase of the freaking yellow auuro that takes double the time to kill them), but YYYYYX and tidal waves from afar destroy them without me getting near.

I discovered to let the cuccos alone if they didnt get near the base of the middle (maakes you lose time) or near the boss base (they start to attack you when you are trying to kill the boss).
If they appeared in one of thos bases, i went there and killed them, but if they appeared in the other I just left them doing their war alone.
But yeah fuck cuccos.

LegendX48

At last, I knew it wasnt so difficult. Freaking Zelda, you cant really get hit by Grahim, Volga or Wizzro on that stage, damn.

Had to cheapen out and kill grunts with shower of arrows to then kill volga and wizzro with the special A from affar. Volga can go and eat dick.

Seems another person hasnt leveled up Fi yet. She is pretty good at high levels.

Doesn't matter, I hate, hate, hate Fi :p

Goddamn I love it every single time you're screwing off in some random corner of the map and your forces are taking keeps and killing unique officers by themselves.

LegendX48

I didnt like how fi worked in SS (tutorial battery woman ahoy). But I think she got more personality with the four dialogs it has here (that also make fun of herself), than in her original game.
And she is has a pretty good moveset.

She was everything that was wrong with SS. I just flat out don't like her at all, even with attack badges up for her combos.

C2 and c6 pretty much is all you need with her, c1 does a ton of damage as well and one pure weak attack chain can pop weakpoints

Yep, she is one of the only characters top tier for every situtation the game offers at high level.
I love it.

She was everything that was wrong with SS. I just flat out don't like her at all, even with attack badges up for her combos.

Welp, nothing she can do to change your mind then lol

Yay, someone helped me!
Thanks!

Also lol at the stage after the zelda one. So amazingly easy you just wonder, they really knew the zelda stage was really bullshit and this one was for relax.

Soooo...blocking. Is that a thing I should ever use? Cause I don't.

It becomes really handy at high level stages when you know dodge is going to fuck you up.

Durden77

Only against Zant, it reveals his weakpoint. Personally I've always preferred dodging over blocking. I never block. Didn't even realize you could until long into the game.

Ahhh that's where his weak point is. Yeah I didn't even realize I could until I looked through the tutorial stuff.

bobohoro

Im here trying to win the stage to get the 2nd level wind waker. 5 times Ive failed, trying to use both weapons. I dont know if her defense is horrible or something but Im pretty good until defending until some shit touches me and bam, there goes 4 hearts. The last time I was with all the hearts and some random attack of Grahim took me like 8 hearts or something. Fuck that.

I tried that mission a few times, seem ridiculous. My Zelda isn't as high level, but that particular level feels completely hopeless.

Yeah that lvl2 Baton unlock stage is a pain in the ass. Kinda funny the stage it is blocking is super easy.

------------

And it's partially terrible since I don't really like Zelda. Her attacks seem powerful but they do crap damage. And that's with the highest power Rapiers you have available.

Mind you I didn't use a Lvl3 Rapier.

If you are struggling with the Damage-Requirement (like I did for several tries) get your lightning defense badges up to moderate. Makes all the difference, really. First five tries with only one badge were tough, came close but still got a B with 4000 in damage and only got hit by 2 attacks of the officers. Went off to do some other stages and came back with 2 lightning defense badges and didn't even have to dodge that well, still got an A easily. The increases of the moderate badges are significant. My Zelda was at LV37 at the end of my A-Rank run.

For attack I'd go with a good second rank rapier, should be 100 strength above the best Wind Waker at this point. Zelda is fast, so keep up the pressure on officers with small combos and constant evades, they won't be able to keep up. Her C3 is pretty amazing for clearing grunts, her C4 as well if you turn around for the arrow shower. C5 is really just plain bad, useless attack that looks pretty cool.

If you're struggling with Ghirahim: Keep on the defense. He has obvious tells and long animations, like the attack where he draws a circle (his C2?). You can already combo him while he dances and the weakness gauge comes up shortly afterwards. The move where he creates the checkered floor and shoots upwards is also easy to avoid and he is pretty open after coming down in his sword form. I found him to be one of the easier officers to play against after a few fights.

If you are struggling with the Damage-Requirement (like I did for several tries) get your lightning defense badges up to moderate. Makes all the difference, really. First five tries with only one badge were tough, came close but still got a B with 4000 in damage and only got hit by 2 attacks of the officers. Went off to do some other stages and came back with 2 lightning defense badges and didn't even have to dodge that well, still got an A easily. The increases of the moderate badges are significant. My Zelda was at LV37 at the end of my A-Rank run.

For attack I'd go with a good second rank rapier, should be 100 strength above the best Wind Waker at this point. Zelda is fast, so keep up the pressure on officers with small combos and constant evades, they won't be able to keep up. Her C3 is pretty amazing for clearing grunts, her C4 as well if you turn around for the arrow shower. C5 is really just plain bad, useless attack that looks pretty cool.

If you're struggling with Ghirahim: Keep on the defense. He has obvious tells and long animations, like the attack where he draws a circle (his C2?). You can already combo him while he dances and the weakness gauge comes up shortly afterwards. The move where he creates the checkered floor and shoots upwards is also easy to avoid and he is pretty open after coming down in his sword form. I found him to be one of the easier officers to play against after a few fights.
What happens with that stage is that I understand the basics. Keep on my toes, how her attacks worked, etc, still one random attack out of nowhere (wizzro and volga being the major examples) and puff, there go my hearts. Grahim is really easy to tell so i didnt have any problem with him until that random 8 hearts attack.

I beat it, as I said, is not that difficult, only that zelda made it extra difficult, had to cheapen out and shower arrow grunts to fill my gauge to attack wizzro and volga from affar. I dont think she is that good of a character even if arrow shower is pretty good, when it hits...

So yeah, it was probably becuase of the badges.
The problem i have with them is that there are too many defense badges (3 for every element type), and in my opinion they are too expensive to waste material on them when you are better putting them in offense.
Maybe you put 3 badges to this element type your are struggling in this ONE level but then you need another character in another stage and that means another 3 different badges done for that one. If those badges used bronze elements would be good, but they use also silver and gold, for me its not worth it.

Finally got a copy and good god this game is everything I wanted it to be. 3 hours in and about to start the third level (went back and got the heart pieces on earlier levels).

I'm thinking about using the potions for better weapon drops/ratings and such but I don't really know what the benefit of that is yet. I'm assuming the improved slot makes the skills better, or does it give you more skills in general?

Edit: Answered my own question. Slot potion gives you weapons with more slots.

me0wish

I'm thinking about using the potions for better weapon drops/ratings and such but I don't really know what the benefit of that is yet. I'm assuming the improved slot makes the skills better, or does it give you more skills in general?

With the apothecary, you sacrifice material to gain temporary benefits, like higher weapon drop rate or quality.

I didn't get far in the game yet so I might not be 100% accurate.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Someone said having more hearts allows you to take more hits and still get an A-Rank, truth?

So I have Zelda at level 53, and her essentiall skills already unlocked.
She is still crap, im sorry, her desing is amazing, how she is animated is amazing, but her moves are total crap.

~scratches head~ I'm sorry... I'm not sure what advice I could give you but I'm not having any issues with her personally, but then again I seem to easily A rank most stuff with Agitha now too and you weren't getting much out of her either so maybe they just don't meld well with your play style? Not that agitha is particularly good mind, it's just she has 2 good moves you can abuse to make up for her shortcomings and one of them decimates weakpoint bars (YYX-B) while the other can infinitely juggle humanoids (YX. Can also be used to juggle into YYX-B safely) :eek:

I've not bothered with the defence badges yet but I've not had any major trouble avoiding the damage limit so I didn't see a need. It could be down to me being a naturally cautious player who abhors taking hits in any game at all so games like Dark Souls which cater to my normal style of play didn't seem as difficult to me as people made them out to be :3
I struggle much more with games that force you to rush and be aggressive instead though XD

Anyhoo, I don't bother with the rapier too much so no immediate advice comes to mind, but for the windwaker I mostly just stick to abusing the X button, which I can clear entire keeps with fairly quickly. Just press it to send out the initial spread of minitornados and see if you get any glowies appear, if not just dash cancel it immediately and do it again until you do, then snap them up with your controllable whirlwind ASAP and obliterate everything. Remember to press X to end it explosively before it eventually runs out on it's own for extra damage :D
I sometimes use YX to knock humanoids up in the air and then catch them with the X tornado too or simply juggle them with the Y series :p

Top Bottom