• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

!I am confused! what vid-card should i get for my pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
should i get the

BFG GeForce FX 5500 OC 128MB DDR AGP Graphics Card
Or
PNY GeForce FX 5700 LE Optima 128MB AGP Graphics Card

AntoneM

I assume you're looking at the $150 range or less. The best card that I know of in that range is the ATI 9600 XT you may want to research this though because the newer ATI X600 might out perform it but I'm not sure. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Azih

Man I got a used 9700 Pro and I'm loving it, if you can find that (it's difficult) then go for it without hesitation.

9600XT
9700pro
9800pro

9800 being the best although probably just over your price range, but its an awesome card. Stay away from the geforce 5 series, they are shit

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever you decide to get, avoid Nvidia's FX line like the plague.

I'd say go for a 9600XT - good bang for the buck.

I have a 256mb 9600 xt and :
it wont play quake 3, i tried it on medium setting at 800X600 and although frame rates are o.k (~30fps) the screen is sliced in the middle when turning.
Will play Farcry on Medium Settings, i get about 30fps on 1046X760 resolution (or whatever it is..)
will play Call of Duty on maximum setting with no hicups1000X700.
Command and Conquer Generals also works smoothly on medium setting at ~1000X700 resolution, i haven't tried high settings as i dont think it would run that well anyway.
NFS:U - smooth as silk on high setting 1000X700 resolution

It's a good card for the price, my previous card was a 9200 which was very crappy compared to the 9600XT.
my cpu is pretty average so maybe with a better cpu quake 3 and farcry would run better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom