• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just finished watching Evangelion. Questions... (Spoilers, dur)

Status
Not open for further replies.
-Gendo and Seele. It seems like they both wanted the same thing to happen, 3rd impact. Gendo wanted to be with Yui and Seele wanted to "evolve" mankind. Why then, did they fight over it?

-Eva-00. Ok. So Eva-01 contained the soul of Shinji's mother, and Unit 02 contained the soul of Asuka's mother. What then, was the soul for Unit 00? Was there no soul in it, which is why it went nuts?

-Rei. Shinji's mother was absorbed by Eva-01 in an accident and supposedly that's why it works, since Eva's need a soul to work. I get the impression that Rei was essentually a copy of Yui and that the body was a container for her soul. As a matter of fact, Evangelion guides seem to suggest the same thing, that Rei's body was a copy of Yui and her soul was in it, as well as suggesting Yui's soul is in Eva-01. Is Yui pulling double duty or did I miss something?

-Rei again. What was behind her betrayal to Gendo? I got the impression that she trusted him initially or was that just "Rei 2" and "Rei 3" didn't trust him? What exactly was the difference between "Gendo's way" and "Rei's way" at the end?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well, as for SEELE, they were more working to destroy mannkind rather than evolve it. Thats why they were hoping Kaworu would link with Lillith. Theres a theory as to the biblical person SEELES leader might be, but theres no real evidence to support it, it would just "fit"

Unit 00, few theories as to who's soul might be in it. Some think It's Ritsko's mom, some think it's Rei, who knows, might even be pen pen's mom. All had reason to try and kill Rei durring the test. I think it's rei personally.

As for Gendo, I dont really think he was betrayed by Rei, in the end Rei did what he wanted, and he got what he wanted. Where as Gendo looked for an all out solution, Rei found a way for people to have a choice about it.

Thanks. You were the only brave soul to answer my questions. :)

Ugh. I just noticed I asked the same question twice. I think I probably had another question in mind but got side tracked or something in the middle of typing that post. :(

Here's another couple of questions.

- Why were the production Evas dragging Shinji and Eva-01 up in the sky? Was it to cause third impact but interrupted by the real Lilith?

- The army that invaded NERV, it seemed like they didn't want to hurt the Maji. Why?

- Is the platinum edition worth grabbing?

- Is there any manga associated with Eva or was it strictly 26 TV episodes + 2 movies?

- Did the NGE writer do any other anime? Is there a similar series I could watch?

Shouta

As much as I dislike Eva. I did like the concept of Rei. As I saw it, the Rei clones were mere vessels and that it contained lost souls (kind of like the way that the Eva's hosted souls). This would explain why each of the iterations of Rei would be different in terms of personality and attitude. Then again, it's been ages since I last saw this series so I could be remembering wrong and I really don't have the urge and go back and make my eyes bleed by watching the series again.

- Is the platinum edition worth grabbing?

Only if you're really obsessed with sound and picture quality. I'm personally not getting them as I'm content with the ADV's first set of DVDs.

- Is there any manga associated with Eva or was it strictly 26 TV episodes + 2 movies?

There is a manga that is written/illustrated by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, the character designer for the series. Published by Viz, it is still ongoing in Japan and diverges at certain points from the series itself.

distantmantra said:
Only if you're really obsessed with sound and picture quality. I'm personally not getting them as I'm content with the ADV's first set of DVDs.

I don't own the first set and actually I wasn't too happy with the video quality from the DVDs. Would that qualify me? :)

I just don't want to buy them if they made any alterations aside from improving the picture and sound.

The Shadow said:
I don't own the first set and actually I wasn't too happy with the video quality from the DVDs. Would that qualify me? :)

I just don't want to buy them if they made any alterations aside from improving the picture and sound.

If you don't own the first set, by all means get the platinums. Nothing has been altered, its just remastered. I have a problem paying $140 for something that is the exact same as what I already spent $140 on aside from picture quality.

Im waiting for someone to come in here and pretend the religious icons in eva actually meant something ;P

Those are some interesting conversations..

Great anime tho, for what it was. To be honest you could just own Death and Rebirth and End of Eva and totally GET what eva is all about. Lots of the tv series was just empty recycled crap cause the budget was dying and they needed to fill half hours.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS WATCH 'END OF EVA'

/\ Ehehe I saw a shirt with that on it at Anime Expo a few years back.

I love Eva. But was not too crazy about the movies. =/ Just too cracked-out for me. I'm sure it has plenty of meaning, but it almost seems like they just tried to make things as crazy and extreme as possible. It felt like nonsense, and it just doesn't sit with me =(

FnordChan

I'm hardly what you would call a fan of Evangelion, but I can answer a few questions for you:

The Shadow said:
Is the platinum edition worth grabbing?

As mentioned, not really. There's not much there beyond remastered audio and video - oh, and inexplicable commentary tracks from the producers at the ADV. If you don't own Evangelion on DVD and would like to buy it, you'll probably want the these editions, but otherwise they're forgetable.

Is there any manga associated with Eva or was it strictly 26 TV episodes + 2 movies?

There's a manga based on the TV series by the character designer, Sadamoto Yoshiyuki. I haven't read the manga myself, but my understanding is that there are vague differences between it and the TV series, but otherwise they're roughly the same. If you really, really liked Evangelion, I reckon you might want to pick up the comics; it's readily available in English through Viz.

Did the NGE writer do any other anime?

Per the Internet Movie Database, Evangelion was written by the director Hideaki Anno, who's worked on a variety of other Gainax projects. In particular:

Gunbuster: Aim for the Top! - A direct parody of the classic shoujo tennis manga Aim for the Ace!, except with giant robots defending the earth instead of Tennis. Fun, in a proto-fan-service sort of way; if nothing else, it's worth watching for the SD science lessons between episodes. 6 OVAs, with Manga Entertainment's head firmly up it's ass, thus preventing a US DVD release anytime before "next year", whenever that may be.

His and Her Circumstances - Anno adapted the manga by Masami Tsuda into a 26 episode trainwreck. Sorry, I meant to say "TV series". I am of the opinion that, like Eva, this series has great potential and is driven into the ground, going from zero to suck in approximately 8 episodes. You can almost see the exact moment when Anno quits giving a fuck, which ties in with their need for filler episodes while the manga catches up with the anime. Of course, others disagree.

Anno has also worked on live action films such as "Love and Pop", which I couldn't tell you about.

Is there a similar series I could watch?

There are several shows I've heard are influenced by Evangelion - say, Gasaraki - that I haven't seen, but I can comment on RahXephon, which features unusual giant robots and monsters, a religious motiff (if not exactly theme), interesting direction, angsty teenagers, and what have you. RahXephon diverges from Eva in several key areas, such as fully animated it's final episodes, having a reasonably coherant conclusion, and not pissing all over it's fans with the movie...

...sorry, sorry, just couldn't help myself. I liked RahXephon quite a bit. If nothing else, it looks terrific, with Studio Bones doing a bang-up job and a solid domestic release from the ADV. Depending on why you liked Eva, I'd say RahXephon is well worth checking out. 26 TV episodes, plus a movie which attempts to condense the series into a two hour movie. It's not real successful, though it does have new animated intro and outro sequences for the hardcore. Watch the TV series, and if you like it check out the movie, but not vice versa.

FnordChan

End of Evangelion made a helluva lot more sense than the final original two episodes of the tv series. Approach it as a psychological thesis it makes super tons of sense.

It makes no sense if you try to piece together other stuff like who's soul was where, and what was what.

I think evas intent was more towards presenting the central theme than providing closure for the universe itself. I will say end of eva was more satisfying than the last two episodes of the series because while it presented the exact same theme material, it had robots fighting which helped it gain acceptance and some honest focus on the underlying material.

Ill never quite understand the choking asuka thing tho. Some people also suggested her eyes were a different color suggesting she was the combination of several female characters in the show but that was debunked I think.

I dont own the show anymore, but its definitely one of the most interesting anime out there, and if it wasnt, people wouldnt still be talking about it.

Shouta

Gasaraki has very little in common with Eva. The only thing I could really say that it has in common is the supernatural/militaristic combination found in the series. Gasaraki has two threads, the politics and the supernatural. The supernatural bits occur within the politics and don't get jumbled up to the point that it's a big fecking mess like Eva.

and I liked the Eva TV series ending more because of the conclusions drawn by it. I always thought of End of Eva has a giant spoogefest (~_^!) for fans that just didn't get the conclusion presented in the final episodes of the TV series.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
See, I actually liked the last two episodes of the series. =) (Though I might be the only person on the planet who does).

I like psychological themes and symbolism. Hell, the more I get to think, the happier I am.

End of Eva is... I don't know. Too over the top for me?

I read a long time ago that the creator actually made End of Eva out of spite because people did not like his vision for the ending of the series. It said that he purposely set out to make it as f'd-up as possible and to have everyone die. =P A "You want a better f'ing ending?! HEREZ YOUR ENDING BITCHES!!!" Sort of thing.

Can anyone confirm if that's true?

MrCheez said:
See, I actually liked the last two episodes of the series. =) (Though I might be the only person on the planet who does).

I like psychological themes and symbolism. Hell, the more I get to think, the happier I am.

End of Eva is... I don't know. Too over the top for me?

I read a long time ago that the creator actually made End of Eva out of spite because people did not like his vision for the ending of the series. It said that he purposely set out to make it as f'd-up as possible and to have everyone die. =P A "You want a better f'ing ending?! HEREZ YOUR ENDING BITCHES!!!" Sort of thing.

Can anyone confirm if that's true?

I've heard that as well over the years, but I think it's just an anime urban legend.

Thaedolus

MrAngryFace said:
End of Evangelion made a helluva lot more sense than the final original two episodes of the tv series. Approach it as a psychological thesis it makes super tons of sense.

It makes no sense if you try to piece together other stuff like who's soul was where, and what was what.

I think evas intent was more towards presenting the central theme than providing closure for the universe itself. I will say end of eva was more satisfying than the last two episodes of the series because while it presented the exact same theme material, it had robots fighting which helped it gain acceptance and some honest focus on the underlying material.

Ill never quite understand the choking asuka thing tho. Some people also suggested her eyes were a different color suggesting she was the combination of several female characters in the show but that was debunked I think.

I dont own the show anymore, but its definitely one of the most interesting anime out there, and if it wasnt, people wouldnt still be talking about it.

IAWTP

Though in the past I may have thought EVA was a lot deeper than it is, I still appreciate it for what it is. Compelling characters and storyline, and obviously interesting enough to make people keep talking about it.

What you saw in the last two series episodes wasn't so much because it was how he wanted it presented as much as thats what they had money for.

Meier

Kare Kano = best anime ever. Anno rules. The new Cutey Honey live-action film and anime OVAs are directed by him as well.. the first OVA is out in raw form and pretty crazy although I'm not sure if it's been fansubbed yet.

Meier said:
Kare Kano = best anime ever. Anno rules. The new Cutey Honey live-action film and anime OVAs are directed by him as well.. the first OVA is out in raw form and pretty crazy although I'm not sure if it's been fansubbed yet.

I knew he was behind the live action film, but Anno directed the new OVAs? I loved the ones from the 90s, should be interesting.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
After reading a lot of Evangelion theories, my own personal idea on the Gendo vs Seele conflict at least, go something like this:

Seele didn't want to "destroy" mankind so much as destroy what they saw as its imperfect, self-destructive form. Their goal was to evolve mankind into a kind of singular intelligence or perfect being. Or perhaps to have mankind be -joined with- such an entity or aspect of reality - maybe something that humans had interpreted as "god" in their own limited, imperfect way. Actually, I'm very suspicious that this is exactly what the writers intended and that they read Arthur C. Clark's Childhood's End. Anyone who has read that story should see instant parallels between it and Evangelion as far as the transformation or accension of humanity are concerned.

Gendo however, had different plans. He too seemed to feel humanity needed a change to survive, but he realized that the person who would end up acting as the "conduit" or trigger or whatever, for the Third Impact, could potentially have great influence over th exact form it took. Therefore, everything that happened to Shinji - Gendo using him, manipulating him, arranging for events to mold him in a certain way, were Gendo preparing Shinji to go against the exact plans of Seele. And Seele was suspicious of this and what Gendo was up to. Gendo was a total control freak however, and wanted to guide even his "more free" version of the Third Impact once it happened. Rei's actions at the very end were, as has been remarked, intended to give a -true- choice, true free will, when the moment of truth came.

On End of Eva:

You have to keep in mind that Anno was rather peeved at the Japanese fanboys when making the movies, particularly the last movie. Essentially, the Japanese fans at the time were very, very vocal about not "getting" the end of the TV series and wanting an all-out action blowout. Also, no matter what you may think of a guy who's responsible for a series with characters like Rei and Asuka in the first place, Anno was disgusted with the fans drooling teenage sexual obsession with the characters - particularly Rei. I think Rei has a really special meaning for him, because it has been stated many times some elements of the TV series were inspired by serious isssues Anno had/has with his personal life and childhood. I've been told that Japanese fans were turned on by Rei being so "passive" and doll-like - the perfect fsck-toy for horny teenagers who ironically had many of the same immaturity issues the kids in the show did.

The upshot is, supposedly many things, including the most perverse, confusing, and over the top elements, in End of Eva are Anno's bile being spilled at the Japanese fanboys. The orgasming Eva/Rei units during the Third Impact, Shinji earning his eternal title of The Mad Whacker in the hospital scene with Asuka, Asuka kicking massive ass in an orgy of violence and then being brutally killed anyway having accomplished little (indicating that the violent solution was pointless to the meaning of the story)... and yes, I suspect even Asuka being strangled at the end.

This isn't to say End of Eva was just an Anno revenge-fest. It has a real and important story, though it was mostly psychological in nature rather than intended to make much literal sense.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
MrAngryFace said:
Its funny, after eva he made a bunch of lighthearted shit. Eva must have been a big personal healing thing for him haha.

In point of fact, when Eva was finished Anno checked himself into a clinic to get serious therapy and take a break from everything.

MrAngryFace said:

I agree. It made a hell of a lot more sense than ep. 25 and 26. It also added closure which IMHO the last two episodes did not.

My own theory on that Asuka/Shinji ending:

Shinji grew to admire Asuka which is why he was so desperate to hear her talk and was shaking her in the hospital bed. He felt alone and couldn't talk to his father, Rei, Misato, or anyone else. Of all the people he went to, he went to the girl that was always badgering him. They liked each other even though Asuka never showed it, though I think her intense jealousy was a clue (IMHO anyway).

At the end, he choked her because he was tired of being rejected by those he loved. By her never waking up, she was rejecting him (in his mind anyway). That's why he started crying when Asuka woke up and touched him on the cheek. It was like she finally admitted she had feelings for him and finally, his love was actually returned by someone else.

Try to think of this from the perspective of an angst-ridden teen. It makes a lot more sense that way. :)

Kaijima said:
Seele didn't want to "destroy" mankind so much as destroy what they saw as its imperfect, self-destructive form. Their goal was to evolve mankind into a kind of singular intelligence or perfect being.

That's pretty much the impression I got. I don't think Seele was intentionally evil. It's just their methodology turned out to be evil and a contrast to what they were trying to achieve. They used violence and bloodshed to achieve their means. In the end, they were a perfect example of the limitation of mankind. Why the Lillin were very much children still.

Gendo had more selfish reasons. He wanted to be with Yui. Not a bad or "evil" reason but it was only his own which is why I think Rei left it up to Shinji instead of Gendo.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Watched the sub all the way through for the very first time the other week, including the remakes of episodes 21 through 24(not as drastic as EoE's remake of ep 25 and 26). Last time viewing it was a two tape SLP dub copy from a friend several years ago. Like MAF said, the religous imagery and themes don't really mean anything, but even though I personally didn't take it very seriously even viewing it back then as a mormon, a friend of mine did, and was all "Eva sucks, God loses". Heh, fun times.

In the end, I don't know whether I like or dislike Eva overall, but it is an interesting show... despite the angst. ;)

The funny thing about EVA's video quality is that you don't notice many problems unless somebody points them out to you. Once somebody told me about the "video shake", I rewatched a couple of eps, and sure enough, the problem was unbearably bad.

So in that sense, the Platinum Renewal discs are worth it. As for myself, I've seen far too much EVA for one decade, so maybe if I run out of things to do in 2015 I'll go pick up the Bluray2 edition or something.

Honestly, I think there was just too much religious symbolism and terminology to just dismiss as being for looks or style. It was so out there, in plain sight that it's impossible to ignore IMO.

I think what they were trying to do was combine western religious concepts of origin and terminology with eastern concepts of a "life force" pool of energy and "Maya" the appearance of separate entities who are really all apart of the same pool of energy. In the end, people were given the choice to retain their Maya or join everyone else.

That's why everyone's AT field disappeared at the end. The appearance (or "deception" from a Hindu perspective) of individual souls disappeared.

Actually I believe Anno said straight out in an interview that the religious stuff didnt really mean anything. I could be mistaken, but I think I used that point in a previous eva thread.

I mean sure, it served to drive the plot, but the story was just there to support the theme, which is what the central focus of eva really seemed to be from the creator's standpoint anyway.

Gattsu25

Banned
MrAngryFace said:
Ill never quite understand the choking asuka thing tho.

because Shinji wanted to show that he was a badass and what better way to be badass than to choke an annoying character that is popular to all the pedo fans? best part of the movie by far

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
The Shadow said:
-Gendo and Seele. It seems like they both wanted the same thing to happen, 3rd impact. Gendo wanted to be with Yui and Seele wanted to "evolve" mankind. Why then, did they fight over it?

A simple disagreement in how to make the third impact. They both wanted the "human" factor in the completion rather than allowing everything to happen in Lillith's hands. SEELE wanted to use EVA01 and its pilot for that, Gendo on the other hand wanted himself to be the human factor since he would have been in control much like Shinji had, and creating the world he was wishing for, with Yui.

Gendo had adam's embryo in his hand, had he merged with Rei and then Lillith, it would have been the equivalent of Rei merging with Lillith and then merging with EVA01 and Shinji. Different approaches and different human factors, same result.

SEELE just rushed in and forced NERV's hand after the failure with Kaoru and they wanted to acquire EVA 01 at all cost to create the third impact. Gendo didnt want that to happen and kept delaying the instrumentality project, for his own plans.

-Eva-00. Ok. So Eva-01 contained the soul of Shinji's mother, and Unit 02 contained the soul of Asuka's mother. What then, was the soul for Unit 00? Was there no soul in it, which is why it went nuts?

Only theories are available. But who hated Gendo and Rei? There's only Akagi Naoko to fit that description.

-Rei. Shinji's mother was absorbed by Eva-01 in an accident and supposedly that's why it works, since Eva's need a soul to work. I get the impression that Rei was essentually a copy of Yui and that the body was a container for her soul. As a matter of fact, Evangelion guides seem to suggest the same thing, that Rei's body was a copy of Yui and her soul was in it, as well as suggesting Yui's soul is in Eva-01. Is Yui pulling double duty or did I miss something?

Rei is a clone of Yui, but used as a container for Lillith's soul, much like Kaoru was a container for adam's soul.

So, Rei is the clone of Yui but without the soul, and the soul of Yui is in the EVA01.

-Rei again. What was behind her betrayal to Gendo? I got the impression that she trusted him initially or was that just "Rei 2" and "Rei 3" didn't trust him? What exactly was the difference between "Gendo's way" and "Rei's way" at the end?

She wanted to create a world which the human factor would be Shinji rather than Gendo, why? Who knows, she witnessed kaoru saying that Shinji should be the one living, maybe she started to see the same qualities in shinji as Kaoru did, maybe Rei didnt like being considered like a Doll and replacable by Gendo, being used as a tool to simply start the third impact, maybe its just because an ending without Shinji's thoughts about the world would have made evangelion fans murder Anno ;)

Tabris

Shouta said:
As much as I dislike Eva. I did like the concept of Rei. As I saw it, the Rei clones were mere vessels and that it contained lost souls (kind of like the way that the Eva's hosted souls). This would explain why each of the iterations of Rei would be different in terms of personality and attitude. Then again, it's been ages since I last saw this series so I could be remembering wrong and I really don't have the urge and go back and make my eyes bleed by watching the series again.

Wow, you SO did not get Rei at all. (or you don't remember)

Rei was the vessel for the soul of Lilith, same way Kaworu was the vessel for the soul of Adam.

When Kaworu died, Adam's soul was absorbed into Lilith. Gendo had the body of Adam (in his hand). Rei absorbed the body of Adam, then returned to the body of Lilith.

Tabris

Either way, I enjoy the series ending much more.

I know it's the same story told from two different perspectives, but I enjoy Shinji's perspective a lot more.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
The Shadow said:
Honestly, I think there was just too much religious symbolism and terminology to just dismiss as being for looks or style. It was so out there, in plain sight that it's impossible to ignore IMO.

I agree entirely. Though, it was never meant to be used in a coherrent way or follow the old testament and create a "modern" version of the story, but its not even an argument that there was much research put into the religious side for this anime. The no coherrence side comes from things that just doesnt make sense and probably was simply used for "coolness", such as the Lance of longevinus.

While barely anything is coherrent on the religious side, i disagree that it doesnt have any meaning on the story and its just for coolness, i mean what drives the entire story of evangelion is for the third impact to happen, how shinji/asuka and other characters feel is only their reaction to the events, not the main story content.

I think what they were trying to do was combine western religious concepts of origin and terminology with eastern concepts of a "life force" pool of energy and "Maya" the appearance of separate entities who are really all apart of the same pool of energy. In the end, people were given the choice to retain their Maya or join everyone else.

Guf's room from the hebrew bible would fit the description aswell, a place where a newborn child receives his soul. If there's no more soul its the end of the world. The sea of LCL is a sea of souls. If there's no more sea, there's no more human soul, end of humanity. But Anno probably mixed it with what you just said.

Tabris

i mean what drives the entire story of evangelion is for the third impact to happen, how shinji/asuka and other characters feel is only their reaction to the events, not the main story content.

It may be what drives the story, but the story was about one person, Shinji Ikari.

Everything else was a back drop.

Buggy Loop said:
The no coherrence side comes from things that just doesnt make sense and probably was simply used for "coolness", such as the Lance of longevinus.

The ironic thing about the Lance of Longinus was that I actually said out loud "Oh wow, the Spear of Destiny" when Rei pulled it out of Lillith, not knowing that Longinus was actually the name of the guy that speared Jesus. LOL!

My friends just kind of looked at me. I don't even think it occurred to them that's what it was, or rather, what it symbolized.

Buggy Loop said:
Guf's room from the hebrew bible would fit the description aswell, a place where a newborn child receives his soul. If there's no more soul its the end of the world. The sea of LCL is a sea of souls. If there's no more sea, there's no more human soul, end of humanity. But Anno probably mixed it with what you just said.

Yeah. I picked up on that too. The first thing I thought of when they showed all the Rei clones was the "Hall of Souls" I remember someone telling me about way back in high school. When the hall is empty, there are no more souls.

I mean, it wasn't really the hall of souls but I thought the parallels were interesting. A nice touch.

The Shadow said:

I think the platinum editions will also contain directors cuts of later episdoes (25 and 26). Not sure if other episodes also have directors cuts, but I'm pretty sure 25 and 26 do

Dead

well not really...yet
funnily enough I watched End of Eva last night on a whim for some reason. good times......way back when I first saw it, it definately had a wierd impact on me, but on subsequent viewings I realized how much I like the film. I would honestly rank it as one of my favorite animated films (not just anime).

Im glad the renewals of the TV series are coming out now since I never owned Eva on DVD, still have the tapes which I bought way back then . Now one can only hope ADV snags the rights the renewal version of the movie. Manga already fucked up the first dvds, I dont want them near this >:|

Tsubaki

MrAngryFace said:
Its funny, after eva he made a bunch of lighthearted shit. Eva must have been a big personal healing thing for him haha.

Lighthearted? Ebichu is the most dramatic anime I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom