• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
RedSwirl said:
Guys, System Requirements Lab is giving me this for Crysis 2:

http://i56.tinypic.com/21kjaqs.jpg

Can they be trusted? I know the game has leaked and everything but Crytek never fully finalized their system requirements for the game.

And by "run," what I'm settling for here is 30 frames per second at 1440 x 900 resolution at high-to-max settings with 2x AA.

Try: http://www.yougamers.com/gameometer/10440/

What do you get with them?

Here's mine;

5446358150_07e7046e58_z.jpg

n0n44m

mrklaw said:
No, still running an old bios. Tried updating it but it didn't recognise the .ROM file. Does it need to be named in a specific way? Also I was updating using the file browser from the BIOS- I couldn't install the AI suite at all for some reason.

sure you got the right version? there's a LE, M, M-PRO, PRO, EVO, DELUXE, and vanilla ;)

just put it on the USB stick => boot in bios => advanced => tools => bios updater or whatever its called

don't flash from Windows if you don't have to (there is a hotfix for the AI suite installation issues on the asus site that solved the install problem for me by the way)

RedSwirl

I'm trying to calculate power draw right now but on a lot of these guides and calculators (like the one at Newegg) either my components aren't listed or I can't figure out things like exactly what kind of RAM I have. All I know is that I have 3GB of memory which Newegg doesn't list.

1-D_FTW

mclaren777 said:
Link?

I just tried this one and it's pretty good.

That's the one I use. Although it used to tell me my fan speeds and everything. Then, all of a sudden, my gadgets got all fubared. I have to reinstall everytime I reboot windows. And for the life of me, can't get it to display anything other than temp now.

RedSwirl said:
Shit. Does the fact that I have two internal HDDs add to my wattage?

Adding my second Samsung 1TB 7200RPM drive added another 8-10 watts.

Shambles

RedSwirl said:
Shit. Does the fact that I have two internal HDDs add to my wattage?

425W is more than enough for a GTX 460 system. Don't worry about it. If it ends up limiting your overclocking or you want to add a 2nd 460 down the road then worry about it then.

Ricker said:
It`s from a well known local store up in the Montreal Area...what I posted is a little less pricey then their suggested Intel NVIDIA Gamer system.

http://www.cipc.com/

Ahh Quebec-age makes things more difficult. Is this a prebuilt system or is that price from just the parts on their own? I don't know if they all ship to you but you should be comparing prices to newegg.ca, NCIX.com. I also use price comparison websites pricecanada.com, shopbot.ca, and price grabber.ca. Just glancing at the parts I would put the value of the system close to 800$ than 1000$ but if they are assembling it as well it's going to cost for that service. Just glancing at CIPC I see the Antec is listed at 65$ while you can get it for 36$ at NCIX after a 20$ MIR. Even if the rebate doesn't show it's still 10$ cheaper. If it's a prebuilt machine it's not a terrible price but you can save quite a bit building it yourself. If it's just the price of components you're better off looking at online retailers instead.

So if I end up upgrading from my Radeon 4890 to an nVidia card, is it worth investing like another 100 bucks in kind of a throwaway nVidia card to dedicate to PhysX? Or will a cheap card not do the trick for it?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Running my Radeon 6950 2GB 930mhz and 1425 mhz in AMD overdrive. Set the fan speed to 80%. A little louder but it has my temps capping at about 75C. I am running FURMARK in the extreme burning mode setting with a few more other settings set high. Is it ok to run this fan speed all the time? It's a little loud but I can manage. Or should I turn it off and turn it on when I know I'm gonna play a game?

Lime

flsh said:
I have an HD 4878 gpu. Is it worth it to upgrade it to an HD 6970? I have a 550W PSU and an E8400 CPU. I'm pretty sure the PSU is powerful enough (it's by Thermaltake).
I know the CPU will hold the GPU back, but buying a new one + new MB + DDR3 ram is out of the question at the moment. Is it worth it? I miss playing games at 60FPS with AA and AF on :p

1) The minimum for a 6970 is 500w. So you'll be fine.
2) Today's games are more dependent on your GPU than a CPU. Your E8400 won't be a very big bottleneck as of now. You'll be fine with it for some time.
3) Do *not* buy a 6970. Save the money and buy a 6950 and flash it to a 6970. Google techpowerup 6950 flash bios and follow the instructions. Alternatively you can also stick with your 6950 bios and unlock its shaders only. Pure magic, baby.
4) Is it worth it? It depends on how much you weigh 60FPS, AA and AF and even the DX11 features, compared to how important money is to you. Another aspect is the possibility that there are any games coming out soon which you want to play at maximum settings. I know I want to play Dragon Age 2, Deus Ex 3, Crysis 2 and The Witcher 2 in the coming months and I want to have all of the DX11 feautres + good FPS, so I bought this.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
LiquidMetal14 said:
Running my Radeon 6950 2GB 930mhz and 1425 mhz in AMD overdrive. Set the fan speed to 80%. A little louder but it has my temps capping at about 75C. I am running FURMARK in the extreme burning mode setting with a few more other settings set high. Is it ok to run this fan speed all the time? It's a little loud but I can manage. Or should I turn it off and turn it on when I know I'm gonna play a game?
Use MSI Afterburner to make a custom fan profile.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
LiquidMetal14 said:
No need to blast the fans, if the GPU isn't under load.

Have you unlocked the deactivated shaders?

LiquidMetal14

K.Jack said:
No need to blast the fans, if the GPU isn't under load.

Have you unlocked the deactivated shaders?
Yes sir!

SapientWolf said:
Use MSI Afterburner to make a custom fan profile.
TY TY TY. I already have it installed. It will let me set the fans lower when idle I take it right? Excited. BRB, will test.

Just ordered the cooler master haf 912 case, pretty pumped, since its replacing my plain old cooler master elite 332 case lol. Also snagged a Scythe KM02 fan controller.
BB-007-SY_4001.jpg

Anyone have any hands on experience with it? Hoping it will work out great, and keep my fans nice and quiet.

mrklaw said:
If you don't care about over clocking (and i'm assuming a stock 2500 will not be a bottleneck), then see if you can grab a H67 motherboard and a 2500.

Yep, that's what I think I'm doing tomorrow morning. The first store I found the 2500 and H67 at had them for a considerably lower price than the one I saw today. But they only had one CPU in stock, I'm praying it'd still be there when I go in tomorrow.

I would have loved to be able to overclock, as I'm mainly getting the rig for heavy Photoshop and Lightroom work, which are CPU and RAM dependent (and I wouldn't have minded trying Dolphin at 4+GHz). I don't need a dedicated GPU since I won't be playing games or doing 3D work; the Sandy Bridge IGP is perfect for my needs, performing better and faster than dedicated GPUs in video work. But to be able to OC a 2500K not only would I need a P67 (which is more expensive than H67), I would also be forced to buy a GPU which I don't need at all (since P67 doesn't support IGP). Not to mention I'd be losing out on the benefits of Intel's SB graphics.

So I've figured that it's not worth it for me to wait until I can find an unlocked CPU and P67 since the build would cost me considerably more.

Intel has fine-tuned (read: crippled) the Sandy Bridge platform for maximum profit and maximum frugal-buyer frustration.

Edit: I'm also getting 8GB of RAM :D

Ashhong

Mr Nightman said:
Just ordered the cooler master haf 912 case, pretty pumped, since its replacing my plain old cooler master elite 332 case lol. Also snagged a Scythe KM02 fan controller.
BB-007-SY_4001.jpg

Anyone have any hands on experience with it? Hoping it will work out great, and keep my fans nice and quiet.

I would personally just do the trick to make the fans run at a lower wattage, but thats because I never change the settings. If you want to change ur speeds its a nice thing to have.

LiquidMetal14

Set a custom fan profile in MSI Afterburner and temps have capped at 75C. This is with a flashed 6950->6970 and 925/1425mhz. Using FURMARK with 8x MSAA, windowed 1080p res, and xtreme burning mode.

RedSwirl

Shambles said:
425W is more than enough for a GTX 460 system. Don't worry about it. If it ends up limiting your overclocking or you want to add a 2nd 460 down the road then worry about it then.

I don't plan to do any overclocking. I'd still like to have a nice way to calculate power draw. Could someone at least help me get the proper information to input into Newegg's calculator?

Shambles

RedSwirl said:
I don't plan to do any overclocking. I'd still like to have a nice way to calculate power draw. Could someone at least help me get the proper information to input into Newegg's calculator?

Don't bother with PSU calculators. Look at product reviews using the parts that you are using. You won't have to guess what they're using you can see the exact power consumption. Keep an eye on the test setup they use, what CPU is used, if it's overclocked etc...

iNvid02

so i just started playing gta iv with the 360 controller but everytime i turn a corner with the A handbrake button the camera spins with me, if its a hard turn sometimes it spins 360.

what the hell is this and how do i fix it.

mclaren777

Mr Nightman said:
BB-007-SY_4001.jpg

I have the 'Kaze Q' and I kind of regret buying it. I haven't tried using the alternative software/motherboard option yet but I leave this controller on the lowest setting all the time. It makes me wonder if it was worth $20 when similar results could have been achieved for free.

3Nk5U.jpg

darthbob

I received a 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 in the mail today.

Any tips on setting it up for use as a boot drive?

(e.g. moving temp folder to different drive, etc.)

Mr Nightman said:
BB-007-SY_4001.jpg

I have that and it works great. I currently don't use the temp monitors since they just add unneeded clutter to the case and the important temps are visible through sensors on the hardware already. One piece of advice: the fan connections to the controller are really small and on the extreme right of the controller and so are hard to get to when it's already in the case. I'd either make sure all wires are plugged in even if you aren't using them yet, or leave enough slack in the fan wires so that you can pull the controller out the front and more easily insert a new one. Also, I believe that if you don't have a fan connected to one of them, the alarm will go off, so you'd want to put in the jumper to disable the alarm in that case.

LiquidMetal14

LiquidMetal14 said:
Set a custom fan profile in MSI Afterburner and temps have capped at 75C. This is with a flashed 6950->6970 and 925/1425mhz. Using FURMARK with 8x MSAA, windowed 1080p res, and xtreme burning mode.
Got the highest 3D Mark11 score just now.

P5622 - I actually just yielded a higher result.

Bare in mind that I was in the 4400-4600 range when I first started this. No OC nor shader unlocks.

LiquidMetal14

Snuggler said:
It's...it's....beautiful.

Operation Gaming PC: Complete

Now I wait for my first Steam game to intall.
What is your build? Run some stress tests and put that baby through its paces!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
LiquidMetal14 said:
What is your build? Run some stress tests and put that baby through its paces!

It's probably not much compared to what you guys got, but I have a GTX 460 and Intel Core i5 760. It's still by far the best PC I have ever had. I have a lot to learn, I'm trying to update my drivers right now, I did it through Steam. I'm not sure how to do stress tests or anything, but I'm visiting system requirement labs and I can run everything now! I never thought it would be so satisfying to see those green bars go all the way to 'max'.

LiquidMetal14

Snuggler said:
It's probably not much compared to what you guys got, but I have a GTX 460 and Intel Core i5 760. It's still by far the best PC I have ever had. I have a lot to learn, I'm trying to update my drivers right now, I did it through Steam. I'm not sure how to do stress tests or anything, but I'm visiting system requirement labs and I can run everything now! I never thought it would be so satisfying to see those green bars go all the way to 'max'.
Congrats. I am as happy as can be as well. You are no slouch either though. Download 3d mark11 and a few other sets of tools just to test stability and component quality. Your GPU should have fan control and adjusting it may help you a lot when things get too hot. Anyways, for now, enjoy it :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
shit, looks like I've already run into my first issue

I updated my drivers through the link in the Steam app, it took me to Nvidia's website and I entered the correct information of my video card. I downloaded it, and as it was installing the screen went black for a moment and now my task bar and my background are black and can't be changed.

what the hell did I do

nevermind, I restarted and it works now :D

Snuggler said:
Good stuff...
BTW I think Batman AA is on sale on Steam for $7.50 today. Not a bad way to kick off your PC gaming experience. You should run it great.

RedSwirl

Well crap. I didn't realize how much cheaper the HD 6850 is. What are the usual dimensions on those compared to the 460? Power draw?

mclaren777

darthbob said:
I received a 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 in the mail today.

Any tips on setting it up for use as a boot drive?

(e.g. moving temp folder to different drive, etc.)
Have only your SSD connected when installing the OS.

InertiaXr

I put together my computer about a month ago right after Sandy Bridge came out, and I'm having only one issue. My USB transfer speeds on the front ports of my case is slow as shit. Like 5 mb/s if I'm moving 1 file but then 2 at once slows it to 200kb/s on each. The flash drive I'm using I know is fine I use it on other computers all the time and can move stuff just fine. I haven't tried using the USB ports on the back of my case because that's kind of a pain in the ass and that's why there are front ports....

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
1-D_FTW said:
Not only that, but I'd be worried about the efficiency of such a low budget PSU. If that thing is only rated at 65 percent (not that uncommon), the power supply is using 100 watts to generate 65 usable watts. That's really cutting it close. I wouldn't do it.
Do you mean at max the PSU is drawing 230W and giving out ~150W?
It would draw ~400W AC and spit out 230W DC to my understanding. PSU's are always rated in continuous or peak DC wattage iirc.
Tony Redgrave said:
Hello people, I have a question and I hope you guys answer.
I'm getting a new PC and I'm purchasing something very similar to the "Get a lot more build" posted in the first page of the thread, the thing is, I don't know anything about motherboards and I noticed that the Asus P8P67 listed has crossfire support but I'm more of an Nvidia guy so I wanted to ask you if you knew some good MB around 150 €/$ with SLi support.
I've been looking around and found the Asus M4N98TD EVO to feature SLi at a good price but, again I don't know if it's any good.
Thanks in advance.
You can SLi.
RedSwirl said:
Well crap. I didn't realize how much cheaper the HD 6850 is. What are the usual dimensions on those compared to the 460? Power draw?
Off the top of my head 0.5" larger. Similar everything else. For people not in NA the 6850 can be a slightly better buy for performance. Check the games you play at what settings as it can vary a bit. Drivers / overclocking / overvolting / PhysX also come into play if you care about that.

RedSwirl

Okay just in case I do need a new PSU, I'm having a little trouble finding good prices on PSUs in the 550w range. For the PSU alone I'm actually trying to stay under $100.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
RedSwirl said:
Okay just in case I do need a new PSU, I'm having a little trouble finding good prices on PSUs in the 550w range. For the PSU alone I'm actually trying to stay under $100.
Post make and model of your current.
Otherwise the two PSU's in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom