• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well that's understandable then. But surely you must understand that to anyone browsing and gaming, added RAM will have no impact on their system's performance whatsoever.

mcrae

scogoth said:
At load? How much dust was there?

it was at 99 after playing sc2 for an hour or two with the fans on low and finishing with a big intesive custom map, then was off for ~10 minutes, then was 43ish when i turned it on with fans on high, and settled down to 35ish.

not ive overclocked it from 2.66 to a hefty 2.70 and its sitting at 50.... this after spending the past hour and a half fucking around with settings that dont work... yeah i give up lol

element

Well that's understandable then. But surely you must understand that to anyone browsing and gaming, added RAM will have no impact on their system's performance whatsoever.
I understand that for internet surfing or word it isn't going to make a difference. Games, depends on the game, as well as when (if you are building a future-proof machine)

scogoth

mcrae said:
it was at 99 after playing sc2 for an hour or two with the fans on low and finishing with a big intesive custom map, then was off for ~10 minutes, then was 43ish when i turned it on with fans on high, and settled down to 35ish.

not ive overclocked it from 2.66 to a hefty 2.70 and its sitting at 50.... this after spending the past hour and a half fucking around with settings that dont work... yeah i give up lol

Your heatsink is not put on properly, I would suggest cheaping out on lunch tomorrow and buy a Hyper 212+. Then you should be able to OC to 4.5GHz pretty easy.

element said:
I understand that for internet surfing or word it isn't going to make a difference. Games, depends on the game, as well as when (if you are building a future-proof machine)

Not really almost all games still run 32-bit binaries and can't use more then 3GB of ram anyways. Even if they could they wouldn't use more because they don't want to make system requirements so high.

mcrae

scogoth said:
Your heatsink is not put on properly, I would suggest cheaping out on lunch tomorrow and buy a Hyper 212+. Then you should be able to OC to 4.5GHz pretty easy.

hmm i remember being pretty meticulous when putting it on... the paste i used was some really random cheap crap i got from a tiny computer store, though i think i remember reading that that generally shouldnt matter..

ah well, that sink is in stock and only 30$ so ill pink one up tomorrow, does the type/brand of thermal paste matter at all?

scogoth

mcrae said:
hmm i remember being pretty meticulous when putting it on... the paste i used was some really random cheap crap i got from a tiny computer store, though i think i remember reading that that generally shouldnt matter..

ah well, that sink is in stock and only 30$ so ill pink one up tomorrow, does the type/brand of thermal paste matter at all?

Ummmm stock cooler comes with paste already applied, maybe that was the problem. And the Hyper 212+ comes with paste thats just fine.

element

scogoth said:
Not really almost all games still run 32-bit binaries and can't use more then 3GB of ram anyways. Even if they could they wouldn't use more because they don't want to make system requirements so high.
And you don't expect this to change?

mcrae

scogoth said:
Ummmm stock cooler comes with paste already applied, maybe that was the problem. And the Hyper 212+ comes with paste thats just fine.

ahhh thats true... i went out of my way to buy some and then didnt use it. thanks for the help.

Anyone notice mouselag when VSYNC in games is turned on?

Apparently, a 120Hhz monitor (3D ready, basically) eliminates the need to turn on V-SYNC thus increasing the performance of whatever it is the user is running.

God dammit why did I even come in this thread all it makes me want to do is spend money :(

Part of being a PC enthusiast.

knitoe

element said:
I work in Premiere and After Effects. More RAM!!

Considering many people on here are buying rigs for the first time in years, they build somewhat future proof machines. Just because something doesn't use it today doesn't mean that nothing will in the future. If your spending $1500+ on a new machine, spend the extra $80 to get more RAM.
Why didn't you go with 2600K instead of a 2500K?

element

knitoe said:
But, difference is only about $90. If you want to future proof...
future proof isn't huge to me. going from C2D e7300 to i2500k is a nice enough jump for me.

Could have spend that extra RAM money for a 2600k.

Does not compute.
In the middle of a project.

knitoe

element said:
future proof isn't huge to me. going from C2D e7300 to i2500k is a nice enough jump for me.
element said:
Considering many people on here are buying rigs for the first time in years, they build somewhat future proof machines. Just because something doesn't use it today doesn't mean that nothing will in the future. If your spending $1500+ on a new machine, spend the extra $80 to get more RAM.

So, you don't even follow your own advice. Nice...

And, yes, if I wanted to, I could easily put in another 8GB of ram. But, I don't need it now, and if I need in the future, I can still buy them.

element

the 5% increase in speed vs 2500k/2600k wasn't worth it to me.

I tend to have a rule about hardware. I always buy middle tier hardware. My last mobo/cpu combo was $150. I buy cheap. I don't need bleeding edge. I also could spend the $100 on hookers and blow.

Hawk269

Hey guys. A family member needs held\p deciding on a CPU/GPU combo for his work needs. He landed a job doing 3D modeling for a game company and needs a new computer to do this modeling and the rendering of the work he is doing at home. What would be the best GPU/CPU combo for this use? I am sure he will do some gaming, but 90% of the time it will be used to do rendering/modeling etc. I know one of the programs he is using is Maya and 1 or 2 others that I cant remember the names.

Thanks in advance for any input. I haven no system specs since he is building the new rig and just started looking into parts.

knitoe

Hawk269 said:
Hey guys. A family member needs held\p deciding on a CPU/GPU combo for his work needs. He landed a job doing 3D modeling for a game company and needs a new computer to do this modeling and the rendering of the work he is doing at home. What would be the best GPU/CPU combo for this use? I am sure he will do some gaming, but 90% of the time it will be used to do rendering/modeling etc. I know one of the programs he is using is Maya and 1 or 2 others that I cant remember the names.

Thanks in advance for any input. I haven no system specs since he is building the new rig and just started looking into parts.
Price range? If he wants best for work, would need to look into a Intel Core i7 990X, 24GB ram DDR3, GeForce GTX 590 (for CUDA) and etc.

element

Hawk269 said:

yeah that is a loaded question. budget is always the most important thing when building a computer. set a budget, then you can start to decide on what parts would be best for the task it is being built for.

would need to look into a Intel Core i7 990X, 24GB ram DDR3, GeForce GTX 590 (for CUDA) and etc.
we don't even build machines like that at game companies...

scogoth

element said:
and various people in this thread are buying their first PC in five years... Which is my point.

You can buy more ram in 1 or 2 years for much much cheaper then buying 16GB now.

element said:
the 5% increase in speed vs 2500k/2600k wasn't worth it to me.

I tend to have a rule about hardware. I always buy middle tier hardware. My last mobo/cpu combo was $150. I buy cheap. I don't need bleeding edge. I also could spend the $100 on hookers and blow.

A 2600k with hyper-threading would be worth the extra money for after effects and premiere.

knitoe said:
Price range? If he wants best for work, would need to look into a Intel Core i7 990X, 24GB ram DDR3, GeForce GTX 590 (for CUDA) and etc.

Lol might as well get a tesla gpu for CUDA.

Hawk269

knitoe said:

Price range is pretty much anything he needs to get something that would work well for him. Would the 2600k be good or would the 990x be much better for him?

scogoth

Hawk269 said:
Price range is pretty much anything he needs to get something that would work well for him. Would the 2600k be good or would the 990x be much better for him?

990x + 590GTX is already $2000 after tax. If he's serious about a modelling machine he should be going for a westmere workstation processor and telsa GPUs for cuda. Or get a $1500 comp with 2600k and a 580 and just wait longer for render times.

EDIT: In all seriousness your friend should buy a built workstation with warrenty coverage, service and support. Dell makes great workstations but proper hardware is in the order of $5,000-$15,000 for 3D modelling workstations.

element said:
I work in Premiere and After Effects. More RAM!!

it's a waste if new faster.... anything comes out.

knitoe

Hawk269 said:
The 990X would be much better, but the question is if it's worth paying $690 more. And, since price doesn't seem to be any issue, I would say yes for someone needing that extra power for 90% of the time.

scogoth said:
Lol might as well get a tesla gpu for CUDA.
Can't really game on them.

Hawk269

scogoth said:
990x + 590GTX is already $2000 after tax. If he's serious about a modelling machine he should be going for a westmere workstation processor and telsa GPUs for cuda. Or get a $1500 comp with 2600k and a 580 and just wait longer for render times.

Well the one build he did on newegg was a 2600k, dual 580's, 16gigs of ram. He also had 2 monitors and bunch of other stuff. He is holding off for a day or two just cause he is not sure if what he is buying would be good for what he is doing. He is fairly new at computers, but is an amazing artist which is what got him the job. He just needs it to do work at home, while away from work. I dont want him wasting money if it will not do what he wants, but I would think what he has so far is pretty beefy?

scogoth

Hawk269 said:
Well the one build he did on newegg was a 2600k, dual 580's, 16gigs of ram. He also had 2 monitors and bunch of other stuff. He is holding off for a day or two just cause he is not sure if what he is buying would be good for what he is doing. He is fairly new at computers, but is an amazing artist which is what got him the job. He just needs it to do work at home, while away from work. I dont want him wasting money if it will not do what he wants, but I would think what he has so far is pretty beefy?

Edited my post me post but it all depends on his workload and expectations. Nvidia Quadro cards will have much more VRAM which is needed for 3D model renderings but are thousands of dollars not hundreds of dollars. He should also be getting as much RAM as he can afford. The 2600K is an amazing processor but the P67 won't support more the 32Gb of RAM or ECC RAM. A 6 or 8 core will be better then a 4 core sandy bridge but also costs a lot more. If its in his budget I recommend he buy a workstation not build one. Less hassle and the build is under warranty if anything goes wrong. Gamings not important but if its for work and something goes wrong you want someone to call or fix it.

Edit again... What does he have a work to use?

MikeTyson

Banned
Hey guys, I have a friend of a friend who wants to trade me his computer unit for my PS3 and all my games - guess what I am trying to ask here is, would this be a fair trade for me. Here's the specs he has on it;

Amd phenom II x4 955
Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 mobo xfire enabled
4 gig GSkill ripjaws ram ddr3 1600
Gigabyte HD6850
250gb seagate hdd
1tb seagate hdd
Coolermaster 460w psu
Antec 300 case
W7

I don't have knowledge on the whole processors/motherboards/graphics cards stuff like that =3

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
MikeTyson said:
Hey guys, I have a friend of a friend who wants to trade me his computer unit for my PS3 and all my games - guess what I am trying to ask here is, would this be a fair trade for me. Here's the specs he has on it;

Amd phenom II x4 955
Gigabyte HD6850
250gb seagate hdd
1tb seagate hdd
Coolermaster 460w psu
Antec 300 case
W7

I don't have knowledge on the whole processors/motherboards/graphics cards stuff like that =3

That's a really good computer actually, but how many games are you trading with the ps3? Also which ps3 phat or slim?

MedIC86

MikeTyson said:

Amd phenom II x4 955
Gigabyte HD6850
250gb seagate hdd
1tb seagate hdd
Coolermaster 460w psu
Antec 300 case
W7

Its not bad, but its not very good either, i mean you can play most games good but it really depends on what your trading for it.

Omiee

MikeTyson said:
Really? 14 games, phat PS3 originally 80GB 2usb put in 320hd.

do it, the phat has a high chanse of dying anyway i think.

but that pc is pretty good, you could sell the graphics card and go for a 5770 and have a realy nice pc.
iv had that cpu and its pretty good. actually i had the 965 but still, its a really good cpu.

Omiee said:

but that pc is pretty good, you could sell the graphics card and go for a 5770 and have a realy nice pc.
iv had that cpu and its pretty good. actually i had the 965 but still, its a really good cpu.

Guh? Why would he sell the 6850 for a 5770 which is less powerful?

scogoth

MikeTyson said:
Really? 14 games, phat PS3 originally 80GB 2usb put in 320hd.

So $300 + (14 * $50) = $1000. Comps not really worth $1000 but if you're done with your PS3 and want to get into PC gaming its not a terrible trade.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
scogoth said:
So $300 + (14 * $50) = $1000. Comps not really worth $1000 but if you're done with your PS3 and want to get into PC gaming its not a terrible trade.

well then again the 14 games aren't really worth 50$ to begin with so I think it's a pretty good trade.

Kyaw

It's definitely a good trade. You might want to upgrade the PSU for more powerful graphic cards in the future though.

TheExodu5

Banned
element said:
And you don't expect this to change?

Not for quite a few years. We're still going to be bound by the next generation of consoles for the next decade, and I don't expect the consoles to get anywhere near 8GB or 16GB of RAM.

TheExodu5

Banned
scogoth said:

EDIT: In all seriousness your friend should buy a built workstation with warrenty coverage, service and support. Dell makes great workstations but proper hardware is in the order of $5,000-$15,000 for 3D modelling workstations.

I agree with you here.

Get your friend to do some research into workstation setups first. Honestly, not many of us here are knowledgeable about this.

I mean, certainly a consumer level PC can be put together with some amazing performance. I'm just not sure how crucial it is for him to get workstation grade components instead.

Samsung's HDD division may be purchased by Seagate.

Awful, awful news.

21j0RBGz2%2BL._AA115_.jpg

Samsung Seeks to Unload Hard-Disk-Drive Business
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704613504576268573695939638.html

Along with the margins, it's where the market is [slowly] going. That's why you've seen companies like OCZ re-focus a large portion of their resources on various SSD solutions.

So, this type of offloading is understandable, but it will be ages before people can afford multi-terabyte systems based on SSDs and having even fewer HDD brands to choose from in the interim isn't helping.

Zaptruder

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I agree with you here.

Get your friend to do some research into workstation setups first. Honestly, not many of us here are knowledgeable about this.

I mean, certainly a consumer level PC can be put together with some amazing performance. I'm just not sure how crucial it is for him to get workstation grade components instead.

You can use consumer graphics cards with hacked CUDA drivers if you want CUDA support.

scogoth

Zaptruder said:
You can use consumer graphics cards with hacked CUDA drivers if you want CUDA support.

You can use consumer graphics cards with WQHL drivers to get CUDA support.....
Its just Quadro and Tesla GPUs are designed with CUDA workloads in mind.

MikeTyson

Banned
Omiee said:

Yeah think I'll gun it, and do the trade. Been wanting to get into PC Gaming. Selected titles I want on PC.

Zel3

First time overclocking. Went from 2.6 to 3.6ghz. <3 Thermalright.

Untitled-1-4.png

You guys think I should push for 4ghz? Would it help in games?

scogoth

Utako said:
Which next-gen 200+GB SSD should I get out of the three big ones?

This is my final component! Please halp!

Vertex 3 -> Speed
Intel 510 -> Reliability* (based on previous generations of intel ssds)
and whos the third? crucial? Yeah no crucial doesn't hold up to intel and OCZ right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom