• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

scogoth

Zimbardo said:
yeah, a little. doesn't really bother me tho.

i find that you can adjust mouse sensitivity/speed to help even it out.

No mouse sensitivity will not help even it out, input latency and sensitivity are not related. A 60hz monitor with vsync on introduces a 16.6ms latency between input and on screen action. For more info on how triple buffering works and why vsync introduces input lag read this

Zimbardo

scogoth said:
No mouse sensitivity will not help even it out, input latency and sensitivity are not related. A 60hz monitor with vsync on introduces a 16.6ms latency between input and on screen action. For more info on how triple buffering works and why vsync introduces input lag read this

i know it doesn't eliminate it, but it helps me deal with it better when i adjust the mouse speed. it doesn't feel as laggy to me.

MedIC86

Stantron said:
Is the "NT-H1 high-grade thermal compound" that comes with the Noctua cooler any good, or should I get something else? I plan to overclock.

Nice setup, also the compund is good enough for oc'ing, everything Noctua does is very high quality :)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
My temps are good an all that but I do wonder if I didn't put on too much paste. I used a peasize drop with about 5mm in diameter size.

MedIC86

Corky said:
My temps are good an all that but I do wonder if I didn't put on too much paste. I used a peasize drop with about 5mm in diameter size.

Well to much is never good, if you apply it just do one drop and wear a rubber glove and spread it with your finger. Anyway why bother if your temps are good ?

MedIC86 said:
Well to much is never good, if you apply it just do one drop and wear a rubber glove and spread it with your finger. Anyway why bother if your temps are good ?

I understand. Always doubt in the back of your mind if one tweak could make your rig even better. I feel the majority of PC builders are perfectionists like me. <3

CrankyJay

Banned
Anyone else using a stock cooler for SB? Sounds fairly loud via vibrations or something. Is it possible I don't have the fan seat properly?

ithorien

So my wife's PC getting BSODs in Win7 after merging the hardware over. She's getting the pagefault ones while playing video, suggesting it's the video memory but I'm 99% sure the hardware is good, so I'm looking at a reinstall.

I hate Windows sometimes.

CrankyJay said:
Anyone else using a stock cooler for SB? Sounds fairly loud via vibrations or something. Is it possible I don't have the fan seat properly?

Possible. I just did an SB build with stock cooling and things were relatively quiet when running.

Jaxter09

My shortlist

Intel Core i5 2500K
ASUS P8P67 Motherboard B3
MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II OC 1GB
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ
Silverstone Strider Plus 600W ST60F-P
CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler
Lian Li Lancool Dark Armor PC-K60

I can't decide between the 560 or the HD6950; as both are the same price. Also I have an old 9600gt card, which I thought I could use as a dedicated PhysX card if i go with the 560. Is that worth doing at all?

Any thoughts on the build? I am pretty much a noob when it comes to this.

vexvegaz

I agree with kyaw. Get the 2GB reference 6950 but instead of unlocking it to 6970 speed, unlock the shader and oc gradually towards 6970 clocks while keep an eye on the gpu core and vreg temps. that way, you dont risk turning your new gfx card into paperweight.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Question, fellas!
Hi, so I just installed Win7 on my MBP so I can play Portal2.
Only problem is the graphics card drivers that came with my OSX disc won't install.

I've done this once before a few years ago, but can't remember how now.
I think essentially it was a program that would allow you to download desktop drivers and then it would modify them for use on a laptop. Does anyonw know what I'm talking about? The performance gains were substantial over the old outdated drivers Apple gives you. The name is just escaping me.

Thanks a lot!

CrankyJay

Banned
Outdoor Miner said:
Possible. I just did an SB build with stock cooling and things were relatively quiet when running.

No, it was just me being an idiot. I opened the case and spun the fan with my finger. The sound was from it hitting a fan wire.

I rotated the fan 90 degrees so the wires weren't an issue and now the case is pretty damn quiet.

CPU is idling at 62 C though. That seems pretty high. It is fairly warm in my room right now though.

scogoth

CrankyJay said:
No, it was just me being an idiot. I opened the case and spun the fan with my finger. The sound was from it hitting a fan wire.

I rotated the fan 90 degrees so the wires weren't an issue and now the case is pretty damn quiet.

CPU is idling at 62 C though. That seems pretty high. It is fairly warm in my room right now though.

You need to clean and reapply thermal paste when removing the heatsink. If you don't you can create air pockets in the paste decreasing heat transfer.

CrankyJay

Banned
scogoth said:
You need to clean and reapply thermal paste when removing the heatsink. If you don't you can create air pockets in the paste decreasing heat transfer.

Even on the stock cooler? I don't have any thermal paste.

I suppose I should purchase some eh?

Is there a good Win 7 temperature monitor?

CrankyJay

Banned
Here are my temps using 3 different programs. I'm not sure why the CPU is reporting -60 in one of the programs, and about 63 in the BIOS.

8reQ5.jpg

NOsm1.jpg

VYMaj.jpg

eznark

Banned
So everything is working great except for this Microsoft wireless dongle that connects 360 accessories to the PC. Not even registering at all when I plug it into a USB port (any USB port).

Sarcasm

eznark said:
So everything is working great except for this Microsoft wireless dongle that connects 360 accessories to the PC. Not even registering at all when I plug it into a USB port (any USB port).

Are you talking about the wireless gaming receiver? I got mine working easily on WIn7 64 bit. I just googled microsoft wireless gaming receiver windows 7 64 bit.

darthbob

eznark said:

Take out every other USB device and see if it works then. That device needs a LOT of power coming from a USB hub.

scogoth

CrankyJay said:
Here are my temps using 3 different programs. I'm not sure why the CPU is reporting -60 in one of the programs, and about 63 in the BIOS.

Idel temps are fine, download prime95 and see what the temps are while running it. BIOS temps aren't always accurate and power saving options are disabled while in BIOS.

vexvegaz

CrankyJay said:

temps looks great. but what are the temps on full load?

the temps under bios will almost always be higher since the proc does not throttle down and operates at full.

edit : what scagoth said...

CrankyJay

Banned
ASUS 6850 idle temp is 46-47C. Is that okay for an idle temp?

edit: Okay, so the idle temps are good. Phew. I'll download prime95 and check temps while at load.

eznark

Banned
Sarcasm said:
Are you talking about the wireless gaming receiver? I got mine working easily on WIn7 64 bit. I just googled microsoft wireless gaming receiver windows 7 64 bit.

Problem is it isn't even turning on or anything...

upon further inspection, looks like the cord might be slightly damaged

CrankyJay

Banned
scogoth said:
For sandy bridge CPU <72
For 6850 <85

I guess it's time to look at an aftermarket cooler.

Was running at full load for 5 minutes and it got up to 85-89C.

I stopped the test immediately and the temps are back down to 33-38.

edit: And I'm not even overclocked yet. =(

scogoth

CrankyJay said:
I guess it's time to look at an aftermarket cooler.

Was running at full load for 5 minutes and it got up to 85-89C.

I stopped the test immediately and the temps are back down to 33-38.

Stock cooler is really only meant to be put on once. After market cooler will be much much better though.

CrankyJay

Banned
scogoth said:
Stock cooler is really only meant to be put on once. After market cooler will be much much better though.

Alright. I don't want to wreck my system, so I'll grab one this week.

Thanks for all your help.

Airan

What do you champs think of the Seagate Momentus XT? I'm building a new machine and while I really wanted an SSD, the price per GB was simply too much to appease my value senses. I decided to compromise, but I'm a bit concerned that it's the only hybrid drive widely available - is the technology too 'buggy'? I've a 1TB drive, a 2TB drive and a 360GB drive I plan to phase out soon with another 2TB drive and raid 1 with the other 2TB, should I not bother with Momentus XT? I have dual SSDs at work and really like the instant loads of firefox, visual studio etc but I hoard a lot of data, so it's nice to have some spare GBs around to store things I guess.

[edit]I saw the prices and a differences of £30 for 3 times more extra GB is too much, so I swapped for a Samsung Spinpoint F4 instead and go the RAID route early.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
My final shipment has been on hold for over a week, pending on the shop receiving the last part...

...my new Microsoft mouse.

And since everthing is already paid, I can't undo my purchase. I won't be able to put together my first fresh build in six years until I get the package (which contains the PSU, the CPU and the SSD).

Man, I'm growing the biggest set of blue balls in the universe.

I've been having an issue for a while now where my desktop's USB ports seem to just stop working, forcing me to restart the computer because I can't get the mouse/keyboard to respond. Besides it being annoying, it prevents me from using it for work stuff as I'm worried about losing what I'm doing.

So I'm thinking (maybe baselessly?) that I need a motherboard, in which case I'd need new RAM and a CPU. I haven't paid attention to hardware in a while and don't really know what to look for. I'm thinking I can keep my GPU for the time being and upgrade that at a later time; I was able to run the Crysis 2 demo pretty smoothly (to my delight/surprise) so it's frustrating that I'm even in need of an upgrade at this point. I'll need a new power supply and case possibly; I've got an old Samsung SSD and a 1TB hard drive so I'm set there for now.

Here's my relevant info:

Your Current Specs: Core 2 Duo E8400 1333FSB 6MB Cache // G.SKILL 4 x 1GB 240-Pin SDRAM DDR2 800 // NVIDIA nForce 780i // MSI NX8800GTS OC GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB
Budget: USA - thinking I'll keep the GPU if possible for now, in which case, less than $700 or $800 if possible
Main Use: Gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 for the time being, probably will get up to x1080
Are reusing any parts?: hard drives, Razer AC-1, disc drives
When will you build?: Sooner the better, but I can wait a few weeks, at least to make sure this will be future-proofed
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not

mhayze

Just when I thought the impact of new hardware hand been blunted somewhat over the years, this years PC upgrade impressed me in the following order:

120hz LCD monitor - WOW. No 3D yet, just 120hz. Buttery smooth goodness not experienced since the CRT days. Not to be confused with 120hz TVs which are comparatively useless, this one is huge for gamers. I chose a Alienware AW2310. Makes every existing game I have that is not capped to lower fps feel better. Heck, it just makes using Windows so much better.

SSD Harddrives. I have two now, very very cool. I really feel the impact more when I go back to a Hard drive based system and try and launch 5 things, the way I take for granted on my new setup. It's hard to separate how much of the speedup comes from the SSD and how much from the...

..Sandy Bridge i7 2600K (coming from a quad core core2 CPU) and 8GB DDR3 - A very nice jump and a lot better than I thought it would be. Over 3x faster than my old quad core + 4GB DDR2 in video compression tests, helps a lot more in games that I thought it would, when used in conjunction with the...

..GF GTX 570 - Very nice card, but probably the least big jump so far from my older GTX 260 - probably because I haven't played Crysis 2 yet :) I was already getting close to 60fps steady in most games, now with a 120hz monitor, I get close to 120hz in games that aren't capped to lower fps.

Oreoleo

mhayze said:
Just when I thought the impact of new hardware hand been blunted somewhat over the years, this years PC upgrade impressed me in the following order:

120hz LCD monitor - WOW. No 3D yet, just 120hz. Buttery smooth goodness not experienced since the CRT days. Not to be confused with 120hz TVs which are comparatively useless, this one is huge for gamers. I chose a Alienware AW2310. Makes every existing game I have that is not capped to lower fps feel better.

SSD Harddrives. I have two now, very very cool. I really feel the impact more when I go back to a Hard drive based system and try and launch 5 things, the way I take for granted on my new setup. It's hard to separate how much of the speedup comes from the SSD and how much from the...

..Sandy Bridge i7 2600K (coming from a quad core core2 CPU) and 8GB DDR3 - A very nice jump and a lot better than I thought it would be. Over 3x faster than my old quad core + 4GB DDR2 in video compression tests, helps a lot more in games that I thought it would, when used in conjunction with the...

..GF GTX 570 - Very nice card, but probably the least big jump so far from my older GTX 260 - probably because I haven't played Crysis 2 yet :) I was already getting close to 60fps steady in most games, now with a 120hz monitor, I get close to 120hz in games that aren't capped to lower fps.

God dammit why did I even come in this thread all it makes me want to do is spend money :(

Which C2Q did you have? Q6600?

CrankyJay

Banned
BTW, are pretty much all PSU power cords equal?

The cord that came with my Corsair 750 PSU was DOA, so I swapped it out for an old Dell power cable and that worked like a charm.

Any chance I can get a replacement power cord from Corsair without sending the entire PSU back?

Piggo

I'm about to start doing a computer build, but coming from a laptop the first thing I wanted to pull the trigger on was getting a good gaming monitor.

I've been browsing for a while, but still have no real idea if there's a de facto monitor to pick up for gaming. I just want an average sized monitor 22" to 24" range with a price range of £200-£300, and I don't care about 3D. But if the one everyone recommends is higher priced than that it would still be nice to know about it to compare against.

eznark said:
I want to let you know these things are the biggest pieces of shit. I've been through 3 of them. They burn out often, if you plug or unplug the device in while your PC is running you run the risk of burning the device out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom