• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarcasm said:
Okay I got my laptop. Now I have the HD it came with and my SSD. I noticed intel has cloning or w/e software to download @ site. How can I clone the main drive?

The SSD has a mounting bracket for 3.5" for desktop. Do I take the original..plug it in..copy to my desktop..plug SSD in and copy that cloned image onto the SSD?

No, it'd be best if you installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 onto the SSD, otherwise you could have alignment issues that'll mess up your performance.

Wazzim

Banned
pseudocaesar said:
Whats the deal with RAM latency? I can get 8gb DDR3 with 8-8-8-24 for AU $129, or 8gb DDR3 with 9-9-9-27 for AU $119. Whats the difference, and is it worth the ten bucks?
Basically, how lower the latency, how faster the RAM is. I would get the 130 one, 10 bucks isn't that much more as long as the build isn't nearing your budget.

OK so I have my build finalised. I just wanted to ask a few questions on running a SSD. I have a 640gb Caviar in my current computer that I will use for my main data storage in my new build. But I picked out a OCZ Vertex 2 60gb SSD for $140 AU which isnt too bad, so I have a couple of questions.

-How would I go about installing Windows and setting everything up? I figure I build the PC and only have the SSD plugged in, and install Windows 7 as per usual.
-What then do I do with the HDD currently in my PC (already with Windows etc on it)? Should I wipe it?
-What do I need to do with it to be able to access it while still having the OS on the SSD?
-I get the SSD gives a huge boost in performance, so should I install the one or two games I am heavily playing at the time on the SSD and then just move them off for storage onto the other HDD once I am done playing them?

Wazzim said:
Basically, how lower the latency, how faster the RAM is. I would get the 130 one, 10 bucks isn't that much more as long as the build isn't nearing your budget.
Thought that was the case, thanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
pseudocaesar said:
OK so I have my build finalised. I just wanted to ask a few questions on running a SSD. I have a 640gb Caviar in my current computer that I will use for my main data storage in my new build. But I picked out a OCZ Vertex 2 60gb SSD for $140 AU which isnt too bad, so I have a couple of questions.

-How would I go about installing Windows and setting everything up? I figure I build the PC and only have the SSD plugged in, and install Windows 7 as per usual.
-What then do I do with the HDD currently in my PC (already with Windows etc on it)? Should I wipe it?
-What do I need to do with it to be able to access it while still having the OS on the SSD?
-I get the SSD gives a huge boost in performance, so should I install the one or two games I am heavily playing at the time on the SSD and then just move them off for storage onto the other HDD once I am done playing them?
There is some good stuff in the second post about SSD's. Not end all, but a good start.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25108994&postcount=2

I'd leave your old HDD alone and do a clean install on the SSD (Make sure it's the only drive attached).

irishcow

Knitoe said:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...-sli-review/14
Measured power consumption

System in IDLE = 237W
System Wattage with GPUs in FULL Stress = 719W
Difference (GPU load) = 482W
Add average IDLE wattage ~ 20W x2
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 522 Watts

That Corsair PSU you recommend is rated 850W (80% plus efficiency). Even if it's 85%, that's only 722W. You sure don't want to run a PSU near max long term, in this case 3W above. Not to mention, a PSU will somewhat degrade overtime. If he wants to run SLI GTX 580, it would be best to go 1000W-1200W.

I'm pretty sure that the 80% efficiency is regarding how much actual AC energy is pulled from the outlet in order to supply the stated amount of DC energy. In the case of the corsair AX850 at 80% efficiency it will need to draw 1062.5 watts AC at 80% efficiency to supply 850watts DC to the computer. The roughly 200watts is lost as heat. It will supply the 850watts as stated.

It should be good to go for his system and SLI in the future if that max load was 719 on the system you showed.

golem

momolicious said:
CM 690 2 case is really nice... but, does it have enough room in the back for cable management? It looks kinda slim, is it spacey enough?
Awesome case.. had to mash a bit but got everything in there

scogoth

Stantron said:
Alright, I've got some questions. I wanna make sure I do this correctly.

The two fans of the NH-D14 cooler are both connected to a splitter cable, which combines the connections into a single 3pin female. I assume this connects to the "CPU_FAN" pins on the motherboard, right?. It's keyed to fit correctly (gnd to gnd) but has a fourth pin (cpu fan pwm) which is not connected. Is this right?

My front and back case fans are both connected to 3pins ("PWR_FAN1" and "CHA_FAN2"). There's a forth fan connector on the motherboard that is 4pin ("CHA_FAN1"), which I'm leaving alone.

"HD AUDIO" cable from the case: Should I instal on motherboard or sound card?

EATXPWR cable: It's normal that one of the pins (-5 Volts) is missing from the cable socket, correct?

USB2.0: The motherboard came with a small blue adapter connector (10-1 pin) that should connect to the USB cable from the case, but it heavily resists when I try to push it in. What's up with that? Also, do I connect it to the USB1314, USB1112 or the USB910 socket on the motherboard?

1) Yes this is correct
2) Don't connect the PWR_FAN header, connect it to the other CHA_FAN header. PWR_FAN is for monitoring the PSU fans. Pretty sure you can't control fan speed if a fan is connected to it.
3) If you have a dedicated sound card the front audio panel should plug into that not the motherboard
4) Yes pin 20 is optional
5)I think that adapter you're talking about is a USB3 to USB2 header adapter. This is if your case has USB3 front ports but your motherboard doesn't have USB3. If the case has USB3 just route the cables out the back and plug them into the USB3 ports, or connect them to the adapter and connect the adapter to any of the USB headers on the motherboard (though they will only run at USB2 speeds if yo do this).

irishcow said:
I'm pretty sure that the 80% efficiency is regarding how much actual AC energy is pulled from the outlet in order to supply the stated amount of DC energy. In the case of the corsair AX850 at 80% efficiency it will need to draw 1062.5 watts AC at 80% efficiency to supply 850watts DC to the computer. The roughly 200watts is lost as heat. It will supply the 850watts as stated.

It should be good to go for his system and SLI in the future if that max load was 719 on the system you showed.

This is correct. Only need for 1000W PSU is for 3 or 4 GPUS

vetrox

vetrox said:
Case Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl
- Fans:1x 120mm Front, 1x 120mm Bak, Soundabsorbing, ATX, mATX, mITX
790.00 SEK - 129 USD
Optical reader Samsung DVD±RW/Blu-Ray Reader SH-B123L
- SATA, 12x BD-ROM Read, DVD±R: 16x, DVD+RW: 8x, DVD+RW: 6x, Bulk, BLACK
749.00 SEK - 122 USD
HDD Western Digital Caviar® Black 1TB
- SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3.0), 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 3,5", Dual processor
692.00 SEK - 113 USD
MOBO ASUS P8P67 Deluxe B3, Socket-1155
- ATX, P67, DDR3, 3xPCIe(2.0)x16, CFX& SLI, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, FW, BT, EFI
1790.00 - 293 USD
PSU Fractal Design Newton R2 650W PSU
- ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus, Modular, 2x 6+2pin PCIe, 8x SATA, 120mm Fan
845.00 SEK - 138 USD
CPU Intel Core™ i5 Quad Processor i5-2500K
- 3,3GHz, Socket LGA1155, 6MB, Boxed
1718.00 SEK - 280 USD
CPU Fan Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
- Socket 775/1155/1156/1366, AM2/AM2+/AM3, 1300 RPM, 110,3 m³/h, 19,8 dBA
725.00 SEK - 118 USD
MEM Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9
- Kit w/2x 4GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, for Core i5 and i7, 1.65V
819.00 SEK - 134 USD
GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1280MB PhysX CUDA
- PCI-Express 2.0, "Superclocked", GDDR5, 2xDVI, native-HDMI,
3099.00 SEK - 507 USD
SSD Corsair SSD Force Series™ F60, 60GB
- SATA2, 2,5", 285MB/275MB/s read/write, incl 2,5" to 3,5" bracket
1150.00 SEK - 189 USD

I cancelled the mobo and PSU. A 1000W PSU of the same make and a ASUS P8P67 PRO B3 is on their way instead, so the setup can cope with 2x gtx570 SLI in the future.
Thoughts? 1000W overkill?

I have an odd question that I hope you tech guys can help with. Right now I have my computer set up in the "computer room" about 15 feet from the living room. I wanted to know if there was a way I could same how make it that when I was in the living room I could use the computer on the big screen, but keep the computer in the other room.

The only way I can think to do it, is to run 15 plus feet of hdmi cable down the hall wall to the tv, and use a wireless keyboard mouse. I was wondering if there was a more elegant solution than that. As well I was wondering are you able to run both a wired and wireless mouse and keyboard at the same time?

Sarcasm

pseudocaesar said:
Cool, I figured. So then I can plug in my old HDD and will be able to use it even though its got a Windows install on it? Or will the old one need to be wiped.

If your installing W7 on SSD (with same key) your gonna have to wipe that old HD. Especially to free up that 10gb the OS takes.

Omiee

AX750 is it or is it not enough for a dual 6950 with sandy bridge and oc to 4.5

i want to go to a full modular powersupply because i hate all the cables that im not using

knitoe

irishcow said:

I was wrong about the efficiency rating and how it relates, but my point still stand. You don't want to run the PSU at 80% or above it's wattage rating for a extended period of time, ie going to happen during heavy gaming sessions. Personally, I'll stay under 70% myself.

I don't understand why people are willing to spend $1000 on video cards, and yet, try to go cheap on a PSU. If it pops, it could take out you CPU, MB, video cards and etc.

Cday

Banned
knitoe said:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-580-sli-review/14
Measured power consumption

System in IDLE = 237W
System Wattage with GPUs in FULL Stress = 719W
Difference (GPU load) = 482W
Add average IDLE wattage ~ 20W x2
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 522 Watts

That Corsair PSU you recommend is rated 850W (80% plus efficiency). Even if it's 85%, that's only 722W. You sure don't want to run a PSU near max long term, in this case 3W above. Not to mention, a PSU will somewhat degrade overtime. If he wants to run SLI GTX 580, it would be best to go 1000W-1200W.

Pointless if they don't state what power supply they're using as less efficient ones consume more watts than necessary. Also they say that they're using liquid cooling and other nonsense that bloats the power usage. The reason a lot of people recommend overkill power supplies is they've used shoddily made ones in the past that have to throw more power around in order to have the same effect as a more efficient PSU. Also that is stress testing, not gaming.

scogoth

vetrox said:
I cancelled the mobo and PSU. A 1000W PSU of the same make and a ASUS P8P67 PRO B3 is on their way instead, so the setup can cope with 2x gtx570 SLI in the future.
Thoughts? 1000W overkill?

1000W is overkill. 850-900 range is fine.

Omiee said:
AX750 is it or is it not enough for a dual 6950 with sandy bridge and oc to 4.5

i want to go to a full modular powersupply because i hate all the cables that im not using

Yes its enough.

captmorgan said:
I have an odd question that I hope you tech guys can help with. Right now I have my computer set up in the "computer room" about 15 feet from the living room. I wanted to know if there was a way I could same how make it that when I was in the living room I could use the computer on the big screen, but keep the computer in the other room.

The only way I can think to do it, is to run 15 plus feet of hdmi cable down the hall wall to the tv, and use a wireless keyboard mouse. I was wondering if there was a more elegant solution than that. As well I was wondering are you able to run both a wired and wireless mouse and keyboard at the same time?

You can try wireless HDMI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882339191

knitoe said:
I was wrong about the efficiency rating and how it relates, but my point still stand. You don't want to run the PSU at 80% or above it's wattage rating for a extended period of time, ie going to happen during heavy gaming sessions. Personally, I'll stay under 70% myself.

I don't understand why people are willing to spend $1000 on video cards, and yet, try to go cheap on a PSU. If it pops, it could take out you CPU, MB, video cards and etc.

Because people would rather spend $200 on as quality 850W PSU then $200 on a crap 1000W PSU that may pop and kill all their devices. Running PSUs at 80% is actually what you want, thats when most PSUs are at peak efficiency.

scogoth

Syphon Filter said:
Is resolution really that important? What will i miss out on?

Screen real estate. If the resolution is higher you will be able to fit more on the screen. For example when reading neogaf you will see more vertical of the pages and therefore more posts, meanwhile you can still have another webpage open beside it and see it in full as well.

scogoth said:
Screen real estate. If the resolution is higher you will be able to fit more on the screen. For example when reading neogaf you will see more vertical of the pages and therefore more posts, meanwhile you can still have another webpage open beside it and see it in full as well.

I thought any widescreen will see the same as long as they are widescreen. So does that apply to gaming too? Also there is no better graphics or anything right?

knitoe

scogoth said:
Because people would rather spend $200 on as quality 850W PSU then $200 on a crap 1000W PSU that may pop and kill all their devices. Running PSUs at 80% is actually what you want, thats when most PSUs are at peak efficiency.
You need to go check on prices. There are many good 1000W PSU ~$200. The difference between a 850W vs 1000W is $50-80. When you are willing to spend $1000 just on GTX 580 video cards, doesn't make sense to go cheap and save a few bucks here. If you are on a limited small budget, sure, get the 850W, but that's not that case here with $1000 video cards.

And, most PSU are at peak efficiency ~50% load. At 80% load, it's when most PSU starts stressing, more heat and the fan noise rackets up.

Like I already said, personally, I'll prefer to stay under <70% load on my 1000W. It's already been use in 2 system builds and expect to keep using it on many more, even when more demanding video cards come out.

A few times, but you can never post deals too many times.

scogoth said:
Read that earlier as I'm an investor in OCZ and I think most of the allegations are unfounded. I was really bothered by the calling out of the CEO's criminal record; just because he has made mistakes in the past does not mean he isn't a capable executive and that has no baring on the accusations made against OCZ. The 34nm to 25nm was a deceitful move but a business decision that is dictated by the RAM available from the fabs. They also have openly recognized the customers discontent and have an exchange program in place and are making new SKU names to reflect the fab process of the RAM. The IP change of the neural game devices is really irrelevant as they don't manufacture it anymore and the IP isn't worth all that much. Comparing it to STEC?? I've never even heard of STEC and they don't sell any consumer ssds. Not to mention OCZ uses sandforce and does not develop its own controllers or memory so its claims that R&D are too low are quite frankly stupid. The triple capacity allegations don't hold either because OCZ doesn't won any fabs and outsources manufacturing. I could good go on but I think this is enough to show my opinion, yes I'm biased because I'm an investor but this is my 2 cents on that article.
Despite the author's conflict of interest, I wouldn't be so quick as some to dismiss the report. A few of the claims may be damning. With the CEO they dredged up his past as a matter of establishing character, since corporate culture often reflects a company's founders and execs. Whether or not it's pertinent to these claims, or if the claims are even valid to begin with, remains to be seen. Of course, Copperfield Research's credibility has also been called in to question, so we'll just have to see how all of this unfolds.

To follow up on the last round of AMD AM3/AM3+ (AM3b) Bulldozer 1 and FM1 Fusion engineering samples, here are a few more screen grabs and slides with possible base and Turbo Core 2 frequency ranges.

ZD242046W8K43
qMnyW.jpg

rnXu0.jpg
a82f6.jpg

Table 12. Engineering Sample Processor Part Definition Options
Table 13. Engineering Sample Processor Cache Size Options
Table 14. Engineering Sample Processor Number of Cores Options
Table 15. Engineering Sample Processor Package Options
Table 16. Engineering Sample Processor Roadmap Options
Table 17. Engineering Sample Processor Model Number Options

fpv8R.jpg

Table 17. Engineering Sample Processor Model Number Options (Continued)
Table 18. Engineering Sample Processor Segment Options
Table 19. Engineering Sample Processor Identifier Options

AMD FX 6-Core ZD282046W6K43 Bulldozer sample:

Click above for 1680 x 1050 original

Along with the pin count differences between AM3+ and AM3, is the difference in measurement.

0yGyC.jpg

Brofist

A few weeks ago I picked up a MSI GTX 480 Twin Frozr II for about $250 on clearance. A perk of being able to browse an area of PC parts shops which each have the selection of a Newegg.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Man, if I hadn't upgraded from a gtx 480 to a gtx 580 a few months ago I'd grab a second for sli.
Awesome deal for anyone who needs a powerful card.

Downhome

How does this Dell sound for $599/shipped+tax?

Studio XPS 7100 Studio XPS 7100 Minitower RK7100C [225-1612]
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English W7HP6E Processor and Graphics AMD Phenom™ II X6 1045T + ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB P45AT56
Memory 6GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMS
Keyboard Dell Consumer Multimedia Keyboard
Monitor No Monitor N [320-7810]
Hard Drive 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache 1TBS [342-9149]
Mouse Dell Laser Mouse 6BTNLM [330-1158]
Network Card Standard USB 2.0 + 10/100/1000 Ethernet IE [430-3775]
Modem No Dial Up Modem Option N [313-3607]
Adobe Software Adobe® Reader 9.0 AAREAD [410-1867]
Optical Drives 16X CD/DVD Burner with Roxio Creator 2011
Sound THX® TruStudio PC™ THX [421-9898]
Speakers No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system) N [313-6138]
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook
Hardware Support Services 2 Year Basic Service Plan TT2O [
Datasafe DataSafe 2.0 Online Backup 2GB for 1 year DSO2G
Miscellaneous Award Winning Service and Support
460 Watts

Does anybody here have a 3D PC monitor? Which model is it and how do you like it? Do you only play games in 3D or also watch 3D movies?

A couple of days ago I bought a professional grade wide gamut RGB LED IPS monitor (LG W2420R) and I'm so in love with it:

The fact that I got it for a super-low price is blowing my mind, and I'm thisclose to going out and buying a second one (it's one hell of a bargain and the store has only one more unit in stock)

There is just a faint voice in my head telling me that maybe I should wait and get a 3D monitor instead. I'd love to be able to watch 3D blu-rays and play games in 3D, but pursuing that now would incur substantial additional costs (new BD drive, GPU, PSU and case), and more importantly I'm not sure how "mature" the tech is at this point, and that's where I'd love to hear GAF's opinion.

Is it a good time to jump on 3D now? What new developments are on the horizon? When do you think ~24" glassless 3D displays like the 3DS one would become an affordable reality?

So I just bought a bunch of computer parts, the AMD phenom 2 being my cpu. On the side it recommends using it conjunction with ATI graphics cards to get the ever so amazing "vision technology".

So the question is: is ATI where its at for me? Or is Nvidia just as compatible.

apana

Hey guys I got a new laptop:

Intel Core i5 2410M

Nvidia Geforce GT 540M

6GB DDR3 System Memory

Can it run games? I'm not sure what happens next. So I can sign up for steam, download a game, and it will just run automatically?

Hawk269

Ok guys, I need some help with achieving 5.1 dolby digital on my system. Short story:

My PC is hooked up to my 55" Sony TV. For some reason, via HDMI the PC only reconizes 2 speakers (there are 2 physical speakers on the TV), but I have an Optical Cable going from the TV to the Receiver. My 360 and Cable box are direct connect to the TV via HDMI, but they do output to 5.1. My PS3 and PC do not for some odd reason.

So, my motherboard has a Optical Out and for the life of me, I cannot get it to output to 5.1. All I can get in the desktop or in a game is 2.0 sound. I have the latest drivers and all, but it is a no go. Even thought I found a way to test DTS and DD in the menu, there is no setting or way I can figure out to get 5.1 output.

Would it be better to go with a dedicated sound card instead? Any recommnedation on one that is not too expensive. Main reason is right now the PC is routed through the receiver and then the receiver to the TV. I would rather go direct to the TV instead of going though a passthrough on the receiver. With the passthrough I do get 5.1 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom