• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So....put all my new parts together. Hit the power switch and...nothing. No lights, no movement. Nothing. It's a brand new PSU, so that can't be it, can it?

WanderingWind said:
So....put all my new parts together. Hit the power switch and...nothing. No lights, no movement. Nothing. It's a brand new PSU, so that can't be it, can it?
Recheck every cable. Chances are you missed something obvious, happens to everyone.

If you're having trouble post a couple pics, we might be able to spot something.

It's unlikely your PSU is dead, but possible.

Blackheim

Ugh, that's the worst feeling in the world taking all brand new parts, carefully putting into your box and then hitting the power switch to have nothing happen :/

It could be the PSU, or it could be your MB. If you don't have another PC to test the PSU on, try removing the MB from your case and pull all cards, ram and cables from it. Place the MB on a flat hard surface with the speaker (if you have one) attached to the proper connection pins where your case connectors go. Connect the PSU and plug it in. If it has any LEDs or lights and they light up and the speaker beeps constantly then your MB is good.

If nothing happens then, it could still be your MB and it could be the PSU. If you have another PSU handy, use that in place of the new one and do the same thing.

Edit: or as Optical said, it could just be a loose cable :p

WanderingWind

opticalmace said:
Recheck every cable. Chances are you missed something obvious, happens to everyone.

If you're having trouble post a couple pics, we might be able to spot something.

It's unlikely your PSU is dead, but possible.

Okay, I'll do that. Again. The 24 pin and the 8 pin ATX are definitely in the right place. Wouldn't that at least light the power LED?

I do have a cord labeled P2 that I can't find a place for. Is that normal?

MisterNoisy

WanderingWind said:

The rocker switch on the back of the PSU is in the 'on' position, right?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Put in my order for some new parts. (Changed 570 brands though.) Probably should have done this a week before The Witcher 2, but yeah, whatever.

Damn. Have had a modest computer for awhile now, haven't had something really nice since '04 though. Can't wait to get everything up and running.

JavaMava

I have aprox $1500 canadian after taxes to get a new pc. I need everything for a new tower. So basically exclude monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers. Using newegg.ca what would you build? I want to play new games on high-max settings.

mike23

Cday said:
8gb gets you no additional gaming performance over 4gb. A 6970 is a fine upgrade, go for it.

People keep saying that, but I was getting low memory warnings from Windows all last night while playing Civ 5 and I have 8 gigs. Granted, it was in windowed mode and I had all my normal programs running, but still, if I only had 4 my computer would be useless. I'm going to grab two more 4 gig sticks I think.

Also, I have a lot of software development stuff installed, full SQL Server install, etc, so it could just be that.

TheExodu5 said:
Well it will only be used if the application uses more than 4 cores. Not many games use more than 4 cores currently, and no game even needs a CPU that's faster than the 2500K at this point in time.

If you're doing heavily threaded tasks like video encoding then you'll see around a 20-30% benefit from the hyper threading.

I also suggest buying a cheap after market cooler. The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ tends to be very popular...it's quite capable at a measly $30. That will allow you to comfortable overclock the CPU to 4.5-4.8GHz...a pretty big performance boost over the default clock speed.

so do you think there is no benefit to waiting till end of year to build PC, CPU wise? I dont want to build right now for myself until around end of year. Will I get no benefit waiting?

WanderingWind

I think I'm not connecting the power switch on the front correctly. All those little pins with the grounds and whatnot. I'm sure that's where I'm fucked up. Anybody got a picture of one hooked up correctly?

SaintR

For anyone in the market for a new CPU and are lucky enough to be in the vicinity of a Microcenter.
They have a deal for in store pick-up for an i-7 2600k for $279.99. Thought I share :)

SaintR said:
For anyone in the market for a new CPU and are lucky enough to be in the vicinity of a Microcenter.
They have a deal for in store pick-up for an i-7 2600k for $279.99. Thought I share :)

Also, i5 2500k for $179.99. How they can manage that I do not know, but that's fine with me.

SaintR

Soka said:
Also, i5 2500k for $179.99. How they can manage that I do not know, but that's fine with me.
Thanks for that now I don't have to edit...also try putting the i-5 2500k and the p67 pro in cart...possible deal there too but don't quote me on that...they had one before...

Fredescu

WanderingWind said:
I think I'm not connecting the power switch on the front correctly. All those little pins with the grounds and whatnot. I'm sure that's where I'm fucked up. Anybody got a picture of one hooked up correctly?
If you suspect a switch problem, you can touch the two power switch pins on the motherboard with a paper clip or screw driver or something. If it doesn't boot up that way, it's not the switch.

I haven't followed everything, but I'm guessing you've reseated RAM and GPU and everything else?

Jarmel

Banned
Is Sandy Bridge going to be the major Intel line for this year or are they planning on releasing a new line later this year? Also is there a time-table on Bulldozer?

Jeramii

Banned
final build for my computer that i'll be ordering within the next 35 days or less!

-Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

-HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 (0F12117) 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

-ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ...

-Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2DB 500W ATX12V Power Supply

-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (ordering two pairs for 8gb ram)

-ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

-Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

-SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support - OEM

all for the grand total of $1,114.90

i'm considering ordering this with a new egg credit card. do any of you guys have it? i'm hoping to get approved for $1000+ my personal credit card is much beyond $1000, so I assume its not a problem. But I have no clue!! hah. If I get it, that will give me 12 months to finish paying it off.

i REEEEEALY hope this thing can play Shogun 2 at very high settings. but if it can't... oh well. :( this is the best i can afford for now... and i think it'll do a damn fine job for most everything.

Jeramii

Banned
Wolf Akela said:
You probably want to invest on a good 600+W PSU, and maybe a cheap cooler like Hyper 212+ since you're getting the 2500k.

according to my research: i shouldn't be using more than 350 under full load, and even a 500W PSU running at 80% can handle that easily.

also. i don't plan to overclock my 2500k, so its built in heat sinks and fans should run everything perfectly for me.

at least i believe the previous things i said to be true. :S i was originally looking to get the gold certified 750 watt one that was on sell a week ago, and everyone recommended to me a few pages ago... but it was about $100 more. and right now I gotta try to limit myself a little since I can hardly afford this in the first place.

replacing my 2008 macbook pro that is running like shit and needs to be retired.

Jeramii said:
according to my research: i shouldn't be using more than 350 under full load, and even a 500W PSU running at 80% can handle that easily.

also. i don't plan to overclock my 2500k, so its built in heat sinks and fans should run everything perfectly for me.

at least i believe the previous things i said to be true. :S i was originally looking to get the gold certified 750 watt one that was on sell a week ago, and everyone recommended to me a few pages ago... but it was about $100 more. and right now I gotta try to limit myself a little since I can hardly afford this in the first place.

replacing my 2008 macbook pro that is running like shit and needs to be retired.

If you will not be overclocking (as in, 100% sure you never intend to) then you could get the i5 2500 instead of the i5 2500k and save a bit of cash.

Jeramii

Banned
Soka said:
If you will not be overclocking (as in, 100% sure you never intend to) then you could get the i5 2500 instead of the i5 2500k and save a bit of cash.

yeah... i was considering that idea. but i figured $20 isn't that big of deal for slightly better. where as the psu, cutting down to 500w i save $100.

Jeramii

Banned
blame space said:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2378942,00.asp

obviously replacing the graphics card and thus the PS.. so putting another 150-200 into it.. is this a good buy? it's on sale for $399 and i want to play games.

i was originally looking at computers in the $500 range and prebuilt ones seem to be more trouble then they are worth.

from my new man to the pc world perspective... you are better off looking at these bundles and just adding what you want.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/MasterC....newegg.com/homepage/Pillar/bundled051311.jpg

please correct me if i'm wrong! ^__^ (because i could be).

edit: this also gave me lots of inspiration. http://www.hardware-revolution.com/budget-gaming-pc-q2-2011/

Le-mo said:

If you can sell the 5770 (which shouldn't be hard) and get 50-60 bucks for it you should buy a new one.

You'll save yourself the crossfire profile and possible microstutter and other woes and a 200 dollar card (6950) is twice as fast anyway, in ALL games, not just the ones that happen to scale well with crossfire.

A new 5770 would still cost you 100 dollars.

+ you can count on some new drivers down the line to improve performance, amd drops optimisations for their old cards faster than you can say 'hey I still have warrenty on this thing'.

Keikaku

I just installed my SSD and it's working great, though it's a pain getting all my games back and running on it again.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way that I can get Steam games to take advantage of the SSD and I came across this topic: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1006386&page=2

I'm referring to post #18 on page 2 and I wanted to check something with you guys. Now, as I understand it, all of the data for any games you get off Steam can be placed on another HD, with a sort of "pointer" link to it on your SSD. Presumably, this would mean that Steam itself would load pretty quickly, and show your games as being present, but they would be loading off the other non-SSD, right?

Le-mo

SneakyStephan said:
If you can sell the 5770 (which shouldn't be hard) and get 50-60 bucks for it you should buy a new one.

You'll save yourself the crossfire profile and possible microstutter and other woes and a 200 dollar card (6950) is twice as fast anyway, in ALL games, not just the ones that happen to scale well with crossfire.

A new 5770 would still cost you 100 dollars.

+ you can count on some new drivers down the line to improve performance, amd drops optimisations for their old cards faster than you can say 'hey I still have warrenty on this thing'.
Which 6950 would you suggest? The ones that I found on Amazon are 250+.

squicken

Decided to go with an SSD instead of RAM. Seems like what was killing me was not a RAM bottleneck but a storage one. Went with the OCZ Agility 2 SSD. I have a SATA II board, and while I thought about the Intel 320 series, I just decided to roll the dice on reliability and get a little more storage/$

That a 120 GB drive is only 95 GB real life GBs was just not enough space.

WEGGLES said:
"If he doesn't agree with me, he likely doens't know what he's talking about"

is this in support or making fun of my post

either way once i get my check im going to be playing pc games.. easily..

something that is probably in the interest of developers who develop pc exclusive games.

really i don't get it.

blame space said:
is this in support or making fun of my post

either way once i get my check im going to be playing pc games.. easily..

something that is probably in the interest of developers who develop pc exclusive games.

really i don't get it.

You are asking for help but in a rude and entitled way, that's what not sitting well with people here.

Also asking for advice then disregarding it is kind of pointless.
Seems like you are looking for some ancouragement regarding something you've already made up your mind about instead of actual advice, might aswell ask your mom/dog for that instead.

explain to me just how bad of a buy it is.

especially considering that i've explained what i think assembling a PC from scratch is worth to me. seriously, you wonder why people don't adopt PC gaming as a true standard, yet you just laugh in the face of someone who doesn't want to take advantage of $130 dollars off a decent piece of hardware and become part of the "master race".

i don't take that moniker seriously, i just want to play some fucking games.

Ezahn

Hi there,

trying again with a better formatted list. ;-)

I just got a new 23'' monitor that's 120 Hz and 1080p, so I'd like to gift "him" a new PC.
Gaming is the focus, by the way.
I'm italian, so don't be surprised by the names and prices... ^^

Assemblaggio e Test PC € 35,00 € 35,00
Alimentatore PC Modulare Corsair Professional Series HX750 750W 80Plus SLI-Ready € 112,10
2 x Hard Disk Interno Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200rpm 32MB SATA2 HD103SJ € 43,70
Case Midi Cooler Master 690 II LITE ATX Pure Black € 77,00 € 77,00
Masterizzatore Interno Sony AD-5260S 24x DVD/CD SATA Bulk Nero € 17,80
CPU Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz Socket 1155 95W con GPU Sandy Bridge Boxed BX80623I52500K € 172,80
VGA Gainward GeForce GTX 570 "Phantom" Core 750MHz Memory GDDR5 3800MHz 1280MB 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort € 282,20
Scheda Madre Asrock P67 Extreme4 rev.B3 Socket 1155 Intel P67 DDR3 SATA3 USB3 ATX € 117,50 €
RAM DDR3 G.Skill Sniper F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) CL9 1.25 Voltage € 81,00

TOTALE: 982,80 €

What do you think?
Main doubts:
- here I opted for a RAID 0... is it worth it?
- should I wait for Z68 and/or AMD Zambezi Bulldozer?
- could that build be ready for a quick SLI in the future?
- I never oc'ed and maybe I'll never do it, so it is worth it to buy some cheaper component and be happy with stock speed for life?

Thanks so much for your help, I really need it since I'm no expert (quite n00bish to be honest). :)

blame space said:
explain to me just how bad of a buy it is.

especially considering that i've explained what i think assembling a PC from scratch is worth to me. seriously, you wonder why people don't adopt PC gaming as a true standard, yet you just laugh in the face of someone who doesn't want to take advantage of $130 dollars off a decent piece of hardware and become part of the "master race".

i don't take that moniker seriously, i just want to play some fucking games.

You are paying like 20-50 percent too much , while most of the parts (psu, cooling, case, motherboard , ram, hdd) will be of inferior quality.

You can pay a pc store to put together the parts for you and still come off a lot cheaper than buying a pre built.
What more motivation or reason do you need?

If you like paying more for less then go right ahead.
Perhaps I may interest you in the title to a bridge? Haven't you always wanted to be the owner of your own bridge sir?

@ezhan : that build looks good to me, but 110+ euros for a power supply is a lot of money, especially if you are spending only 77 on a case.

A power supply is either sufficient, reliable and quiet or it aint , paying extra for something higher end won't make a difference.
A case on the other hand has stuff like build quality, rubber HDD mounts or lack thereof, dust filters (or lack thereof) , layout for cablemanagment and fan placement, quality of the built in fans to worry about.

A cheap or bad case will be noisy and might have inneficient airflow and /or shoddy build quality.

I bought a 100 dollar antec sonata II and it's a vibrating, noisy , non modular piece of shit with a loud psu fan.

(not saying that case you picked might not be good, I honestly don't know about it, just saying where your priorities for spendings might lie).

yes, i am an entitled gamer.

i like to buy shit and play games on it. i noticed a machine with 4 gigs of ram and a decent processor was on sale in my area, at a great discount!

heaven forbid i ask the internet's preeminent gaming forum if it would actually do what i suspect it could: play games!

i am over this, btw i am buying the PC and i already have a card and PSU lined up.. it's just the way everyone's offended by the question that is fucking embarrassing.

people like shit that is easy. fuck, that's why consoles exist in the first place. not everyone wants to build their own gaming machine. in fact, the vast majority of gamers don't want to build their own gaming machine. sorry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom