• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike23

K701 said:
Samsung md230x6 with flashed firmware to enable bezel compensation when mixing inputs (Fuck you Samsung USA)
IMG_0132.JPG

Google tells me that those monitors are at least $3000 a piece.

18 grand on monitors is a lot.

edit: misread it, that was 3500 for 6 of them. Still a lot

nexen

pulled the trigger on:

* Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

* ASUS P8P67 LE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

* G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

After hemming an hawing on the advice TheExodu5 gave me. Total damage was $458 shipped. Now to wait...

Thanks again!

Still looking to build a new pc and this is what I've come up with so far:
Intel Core i5 2500 3.3GHZ
ASUS P8P67 REV3.0 ATX
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Fermi 950MHZ
Antec 100 One Hundred Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Case
Seasonic S12II 520W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80+ Bronze 6+8PIN PCI-E W/ 120MM Fan
Windows 7
Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM 32MB Cache
LG GH22NS50 Black 22X SATA DVD Writer

It comes to about $1100 right now, and I'm wondering where I could cut off about 150-200 dollars, and maybe make it cost under $1000. I want to run games like The Witcher 2 and Battlefield 3 at max, or near max, at a rez of 1680 x 1050 (already have the monitor), or even 720p if need be. Buying from NCIX.ca. Thanks guys!

Odrion

Banned
My motherboard just died, and I think it's high time to upgrade my GPU along with my motherboard.

So, what would a good GPU+Motherboard combo be with a Phenom II X4 (3.4 ghz quad)? Looking to get something that won't be bottlenecked by the processor, and hopefully around the budget of $200-$300.

Odrion said:
What's a good AM3 motherboard for around $70-$120?

I generally use the $60 MSI 770-c45 for budget rigs, though someone with a bit better of a chipset may have popped-up since.

If you're buying it now, you may as well wait for a motherboard with an AM3+ socket, no?

K701 said:
Had this for a lil while now...

Lanboy air
Phenom X6 1090T
Asus DirectCUII 6970
blah blah blah blah here's the pic.
http://ftwfyw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pAZ0DAEc1sToaxax5pI9asV50cJ5JsxoUc2_aj1RJ--yEANeJY6VTxcHfhmXALRjkcvpixGU6A41fmkofJVJy_IsnItqetlS0/IMG_0123.JPG[IMG]

Samsung md230x6 with flashed firmware to enable bezel compensation when mixing inputs (Fuck you Samsung USA)
[IMG]http://ftwfyw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pjULyruePfZiSBDIaQG-NSpeUHtvBX96uXGFiBbAjMhJ1fYCHMqEEu5PQX9fe1p4fLBvAuLQmQyyeiueGc7ljU6M92vvlCAZC/IMG_0132.JPG[IMG][/QUOTE]
Looks nice but you really need a proper desk!

Prolimatech Megahalems Revision C

Megahalems-Revision-C.jpg

Should be out soon. Like the Prolimatech Genesis, it has out of the box support for AMD platforms, and the newer 70lbs mount of the Super Mega.

Good thing the Megahalems Rev. C went back to the look of the Rev. B. Unfortunately, pricing is still likely to be in that questionable space between the TRUE/Venomous X and the Silver Arrow/NH-D14.

MedIC86 said:
Ok i need some advice:

i would like to buy a Phenom II X6 1090T.
Does anyone have a more specific idea then Q2 for the Bulldozers to come out (my mobo can support AM3+) so is it better to wait or not? i dont want to wait for like 3/4 months because i want to upgrade before the summer. i somewhere read 6 June or is that bs?...

Also the bulldozers will be a lot more expensive then the 1090T...
Wait.
There's little reason to be buying an X6 1090T at this point as comparable Intels outperform it in nearly every way.

AMD and a few of its partners have let it slip that the new CPUs will debut between early-mid June. Even if volume shipping kicks in later than expected, you should be able to buy one between late June and mid July, if not sooner.

Also, your current board will more than likely have limited support (AMD has already said so):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27378377#post27378377
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27378551#post27378551
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27378933#post27378933

Cuthbert 80 said:
Hi Guys,

I believe I have severely bad overclocking performance on my Powercolor HD 6950 2 gig(with unlocked Shaders) right now.
Can you really expect much more from that card?
Hd69xx series is already taking the piss with high clocks , ridiculous tdp and noisy coolers to keep em cooled.

They are still made on the 40nm procédé, amd keep cramming more transistors on ever larger dies at ever higher clocks...

Odrion

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
I generally use the $60 MSI 770-c45 for budget rigs, though someone with a bit better of a chipset may have popped-up since.

If you're buying it now, you may as well wait for a motherboard with an AM3+ socket, no?
Doesn't seem to be on Newegg. :\

I edited my post for more information, can someone help me in this situation? I'm thinking that maybe a 560 will be overkill and maybe bottlenecked on the CPU, but I don't know.

Thomper

I'm considering upgrading my PC. I'm not entirely unhappy with my current one, but I've got the money to upgrade/get new stuff, so I'm looking into it and was hoping you guys could help.

Your Current Specs: CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ 2,5 ghz / RAM: 2GBs / GPU: 9600GT 512mb
Budget: 600 euro's-ish, Netherlands.
Main Use: Gaming + Movie-watching (plus some work, but that's mostly in Office/Word, so no real power needed for that).
Monitor Resolution: Current monitor goes up to 1280x1024. Also considering upgrading this for higher resolution.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Civ 5, Portal 2, basically most recent stuff. Doesn't need to be on the most super-duper-high settings, as long as it plays smoothly and looks good-to-great.
Are reusing any parts?: I would probably re-use my harddrive. I currently have 750GB; that's plenty. Might consider adding SSD, though, if that fits in my budget.
When will you build?: As I said, I'm mostly just considering it now, so I could probably wait a few weeks.
Will you be overclocking?: No

Coldsnap

So is there a new Nvidia driver out? I hate drivers... someone told me a new Nvidia drive is out so I go to Nvidia control panel, help, updates, and it tells me there are no updates.

FreezeSSC

Whats a good update from a pentium D processor? i'm looking for the best processor per dollar for the LGA 775, or is it not worth updating on that socket?

PolishQ

Starting to think about a new computer, probably won't purchase until August or September. Here's what I have so far:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 (bundled with the above CPU on Newegg)
GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
SSD: Intel 320 Series 120GB
Second hard drive: Seagate Barricuda 1TB SATA 3.0
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

Any reason to go with a better motherboard?

Also how much can I expect prices to go down by the fall?

mkenyon

Banned
Just ordered this for my secondary gaming rig.

539576.jpg

Gonna host:
Sapphire itx 785g mobo
Phenom II X4 965
Scythe Big Shuriken Heatsink
4 GB Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
OCZ Fatality (heh) 550W Modular PSU (50 bucks on newegg today BTW)
Corsair F90 90GB SSD
Sapphire Vapor-X 6870

Will post pictures of the build once completed.

Flying Toaster said:
Anyone doing tri SLI or Crossfire? I am curious about why and if you are happy with the results.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26715356&postcount=10527

Installing a second 5870 on my main gaming rig for eyefinity. Tri-monitor Civ V? Yes please.

ithorien

Coldsnap said:
So is there a new Nvidia driver out? I hate drivers... someone told me a new Nvidia drive is out so I go to Nvidia control panel, help, updates, and it tells me there are no updates.

Doesn't look like it. It's still showing 270.61 for me.

mkenyon

Banned
sk3tch said:
So you seem like a dude that knows SLI - do you think 3D Vision at 1080p will perform adequately with a GTX 580? Or should I consider going SLI...(I know it depends on the game, but generally speaking...)
I can't see 3D, so I don't have a lot of experience with it. Just about all the guys who do play their games at 3D that I know from PDXLAN all run dual or tri-SLI 570s. They are performance junkies though.

TheExodu5

Banned
sk3tch said:
So you seem like a dude that knows SLI - do you think 3D Vision at 1080p will perform adequately with a GTX 580? Or should I consider going SLI...(I know it depends on the game, but generally speaking...)

Well 3D can cut your performance in half, so just look at benchmarks for a single GTX 580, and that's the performance you might expect from SLI with 3D on. Divide the numbers in half if you want to see the performance you'd expect with a single card.

Flying Toaster said:
Anyone doing tri SLI or Crossfire? I am curious about why and if you are happy with the results.
I have a crossfire 4870 1gb setup. I did it because I was able to get the second card really cheap off Craigslist.

I've generally been happy with it. It was definitely the cheapest way to get a lot of performance, but some games are buggy with xfire (at least in my experience). If I were buying new I would just go with a single card, but since I already owned one card it made sense for me since the additional cost was low in comparison.

squicken

Quick question. I have a modular power supply. For some unknown reason I've lost all the extra power cables. The SATA power cable coming out of the power supply has 3 connectors. Right now, one is going to my F3 Samsung HDD, the other to my DVD drive, and the third is unused.

Is it okay to use that unused third connector for the SSD, even if it is already powering two devices?

As an aside, on NCIX Youtube channel the guy tapes the SSD into the PC. I guess I never really thought about it, but since there's no moving parts. Not that I'd do that, but kind of funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox6DHlPQI-w

squicken said:
Quick question. I have a modular power supply. For some unknown reason I've lost all the extra power cables. The SATA power cable coming out of the power supply has 3 connectors. Right now, one is going to my F3 Samsung HDD, the other to my DVD drive, and the third is unused.

Is it okay to use that unused third connector for the SSD, even if it is already powering two devices?

As an aside, on NCIX Youtube channel the guy tapes the SSD into the PC. I guess I never really thought about it, but since there's no moving parts. Not that I'd do that, but kind of funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox6DHlPQI-w
would be fine man, thats why they give you several on each chain

jett

D-Member
You guys ignored my previous posts :(, but I could really use some help here. This PC is for sale:

Video card: Radeon HD 6950 2GB
CPU: i5-2500K LGA 1155
Motherboard: MSi P67A- GD65
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 - 1TB
PSU: Antec TruePower 750W
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Series - 8GB
DVD drive: Asus DRW - 24B1ST
CPU Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

New for $1200, tax included. Good deal or bad deal?

squicken

Mr Nightman said:
would be fine man, thats why they give you several on each chain

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured with such a low power draw it wouldn't matter, but I'm sort of paranoid. The SSD is the most expensive component in my PC

Coldsnap said:
How come that doesn't automatically download from the nvidia control panel? Like how am I suppose to know when new drivers are out
the driver page linked is for beta ones, they will become official after a short time

derder

E8400 @ 4.0
DDR2 Mobo
4850 512MB
2x 30GB OCZ SSD

I'm looking to partially upgrade now and to fully upgrade for BC3. I have $250 to spend now and will have $1000 in November. I figure that I should buy a $250 videocard now (with the intent to SLI or Xfire) and then spend the rest of Ivy Bridge and a new SSD.

What do you guys think?

TheExodu5

Banned
derder said:
E8400 @ 4.0
DDR2 Mobo
4850 512MB
2x 30GB OCZ SSD

I'm looking to partially upgrade now and to fully upgrade for BC3. I have $250 to spend now and will have $1000 in November. I figure that I should buy a $250 videocard now (with the intent to SLI or Xfire) and then spend the rest of Ivy Bridge and a new SSD.

What do you guys think?

Solid plan.

Shambles

jett said:
You guys ignored my previous posts :(, but I could really use some help here. This PC is for sale:

Depending on what case it has it changes this number but it's a few hundred dollars away from being a decent price. Pass on it.

squicken

jett said:

I didn't see your original post. Is this from a shop or an individual? If it's a shop, will they warranty to it? Is the shop reputable? If online, who covers shipping if something fails?

jett

D-Member
Shambles said:
Depending on what case it has it changes this number but it's a few hundred dollars away from being a decent price. Pass on it.

squicken said:
I didn't see your original post. Is this from a shop or an individual? If it's a shop, will they warranty to it? Is the shop reputable? If online, who covers shipping if something fails?

Just a guy that lives in the same city as me, I'd be picking up everything personally. I guess...there's no warranty. This deal sounds like crap all of a sudden, thanks. :p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
jett said:
Just a guy that lives in the same city as me, I'd be picking up everything personally. I guess...there's no warranty. This deal sounds like crap all of a sudden, thanks. :p
That's because it costs $1,200 to begin with. Look at the OP build.

Smokey

K701 said:
Had this for a lil while now...

Lanboy air
Phenom X6 1090T
Asus DirectCUII 6970
blah blah blah blah here's the pic.
IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

I have noticed that it's always the junior members who have the craziest shit :O

How is gaming on that?

Unrelated but I just picked up The Witcher 2. Don't know much about the game except it's supposed to be a graphical powerhouse. Will play with "Ubersampling" on fuck it. As long as it's around 30fps I'll be good. Spent all this money on a rig might as well use it to it's potential :p

jett

D-Member
Hazaro said:
That's because it costs $1,200 to begin with. Look at the OP build.

I do live in South America though, everything is more expensive, didn't mention that. At a store an i5 2500 would cost aorund $280 and a 6950 $400, for instance.

So I'm looking to get back into racing on the PC, I've missed it. Playing my racers with a gamepad just didn't fit right with me. Anyway, anyone know of any decent wheel's they'd recommend for around $100-150? I've been looking at the Logitech G27 and Logitech G25, but since I'm saving cash to get 2 more monitors, I'm not trying to invest it all in just the wheel.

Likely will end up using it on the PS3/Xbox 360 as well.

Thanks in advance!

kinggroin

Banned
Just a heads up guys. I'm selling a barely used (2 weeks) H50 water cooling system for $50 shipped. If anyone here is interested, shoot me a pm.

Both the SSDs I had already gone though, sorry.

Whopper

Ok Gaf, I think its time to overclock my i2500k (asus p8p67 pro btw). What's a good guide or resource for his task? I have replaced the stock CPU cooler with a 212+ and get idle temps around 28-30. I was thinking of shooting for 4.2... does that sound reasonable? Surely someone here has oc 'd their 2500k and can chime in. Thanks!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I know I've asked this before, but my computer is still acting crazy. I can hit the power button and nothing will happen. I can hit it again, then the fans move for a second, then stop. I can hit it and then it turns on.

My question is this; what demon has possessed my new system, how do I rid myself of this foul beast and what particular part may be causing it?

EDIT: And now it just restarted itself when installing Windows for the first time. Not at the appropriate time, just at like, 30 percent install, blanked out, then restarted back to the BIOS .

sk3tch

Whopper said:
Ok Gaf, I think its time to overclock my i2500k (asus p8p67 pro btw). What's a good guide or resource for his task? I have replaced the stock CPU cooler with a 212+ and get idle temps around 28-30. I was thinking of shooting for 4.2... does that sound reasonable? Surely someone here has oc 'd their 2500k and can chime in. Thanks!

I have an i5 2500k @ 4.7 GHz (1.37v). ASUS has a pretty brain dead utility that you can use in Win7 or you can boot to their clicky BIOS - should be pretty straightforward...adjust the multiplier up to say...43...then boot to Win7 and test stability, monitor temps...keep going up and up and tweak and tweak. When it's not stable anymore, try upping the vcore...bit by bit...if you're into it it will take days but you can also just toss a clock up there and see if it sticks. Just have fun with it. You won't break anything as long as you keep the vcore lower than 1.45v. Although some recommend you don't go over 1.35v. It's all in what you want to risk or what you think. :)

Just remember - stability and good temps are key. You can use stuff like Prime95 and IntelBurnTest for that. Run it for a good number of hours. Some say just 1 hour is required. I personally like to do at least 8. But I'm nuts and have a lot of time at my desk (I work from home). :-D

Smokey said:
I have noticed that it's always the junior members who have the craziest shit :O

How is gaming on that?

Unrelated but I just picked up The Witcher 2. Don't know much about the game except it's supposed to be a graphical powerhouse. Will play with "Ubersampling" on fuck it. As long as it's around 30fps I'll be good. Spent all this money on a rig might as well use it to it's potential :p
Ubersampling runs like crap on my 580 and 2600k so good luck with that!

According to the other thread it doesn't add much to the visual experience.

Whopper said:
Just set the multiplier in the bios to 42 and you're done. Anything above 4.5 requires more effort.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
jett said:
I do live in South America though, everything is more expensive, didn't mention that. At a store an i5 2500 would cost aorund $280 and a 6950 $400, for instance.
Oh right, warranty service probably non existent also.
Price is good, question is you want to risk buying a used system or not...
Whopper said:
http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html
WanderingWind said:
I know I've asked this before, but my computer is still acting crazy. I can hit the power button and nothing will happen. I can hit it again, then the fans move for a second, then stop. I can hit it and then it turns on.

My question is this; what demon has possessed my new system, how do I rid myself of this foul beast and what particular part may be causing it?

EDIT: And now it just restarted itself when installing Windows for the first time. Not at the appropriate time, just at like, 30 percent install, blanked out, then restarted back to the BIOS .
Unplug and replug all connectors in. Check for loose screw behind mobo. Are you using the standoffs?
Run memtest 86+
Was it always this way?

Smokey

WanderingWind said:

God speed man. This is the shit I was worried about when I was putting mine together last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom