• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
cartman414 said:
Yeah, also considering the Dell IPS.

The thing is, I'll have to wait like 9 months for Ivy Bridge.
You can build a 1155 rig and cross your fingers that Ivy should be on 1155 :)

snack

I looked at the update $1000 build and saw the MSI P67A-GD65 B3 motherboard. It looks really good and the reviews on Newegg are high. Would this be the one to go for if I plan on going the SLI route in the future?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
snack said:
I looked at the update $1000 build and saw the MSI P67A-GD65 B3 motherboard. It looks really good and the reviews on Newegg are high. Would this be the one to go for if I plan on going the SLI route in the future?
Yup. Solid good board.
Syphon Filter said:
Just to make sure a power supply brings all the cables needed right? I know i will need two pcie cables for the power on the gpu.

It's this psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011
PCI-Express Connector
6 x 6+2-Pin

Daigoro

bumping this up for the night crew. any help where to look next would be appreciated.

thanks.

Daigoro said:
Windows 7 (relatively new install)
various Hitachi/Samsung drives
ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 Mobo
Rosewill 700W PSU
HIS Radeon 5770 (also tried using an old ATI 4670)
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb P5W
x2 Mushkin DDR3 4GB DDR3 SDRAM

build is less than a year old.

my PC has been crashing over the last week in odd ways. i was hoping someone here had some ideas. (if this is not the right thread for it ill repost elsewhere)

last week while my wife was playing LORTO the screen went black, then the monitor displays a "no signal" message and goes blank. the system stayed on, lights and fans still working, but no picture our sound. CRTL ALT DEL does nothing. i think the system restarted itself eventually.

since then its been happening more frequently. at first it was just while playing games, now it happens with no real strain (checking email etc). i updated video drivers and it seemed stable for a day or two, then started again. i swapped my video card for an old one and it crashed after 15 minutes. so im guessing its not a GPU or a GPU driver issue.

most of the time it crashes and just stays like that until i hard power it down. it occasionaly restarts itself. a few times it does a startup repair routine. the last day or so it crashes as its booting. sometimes i can log in and it will run for a bit and then crashes again (it seems to work a little better if it remains shut off for a while. could just be coincidence).

so it doesnt seem like a GPU or graphics driver issue. im guessing its not a power issue, because the power stays on during and after the crash. everything in the case seems cool enough and its not too dusty, so it doesnt appear to be an overheating issue.

im just not sure what to look for at this point. id appreciate suggestions on where to start.

thanks.
claviertekky said:
Hey man. I saw what you wrote before the edit. Sorry I didn't reply back earlier as I'm not in
this thread all the time.

You can start by testing out your RAM, so we can eliminate that issue first. Start by clicking on the Windows logo icon and type, "Windows Memory Diagnostic."

Let Windows reboot. Windows will proceed to run two tests twice and then boot back to desktop. If everything works out ok, then a balloon box will appear. If your RAM is faulty, a dialogue box will appear warning your equipment is falty.

You will also notice if something is wrong during testing as the system will say there is a hardware problem in your system.

ok. mem diagnostic done, no errors. the system rebooted like six times before i could confirm in the event viewer.

its actually rebooting itself a bit more than usual this morning. usually it just locks up and goes blank.

a few things ive noticed over the last day of watching the thing crash: the hard drive seems to cease all function. it just stops, not sound from the drive and the red light that signals that is in use does not come on at all. otherwise everything else seems to be functioning. the disk drive even opens and attempts to read a disk when inserted, lights and fans all remain on, etc.

i also attempted to do a check on the HD for errors, but it rebooted part of the way through. its crashing and rebooting constantly this morning. i cant get to stay on for more than two minutes at a time if i can even log on at all.

Fredescu

Daigoro said:
its actually rebooting itself a bit more than usual this morning. usually it just locks up and goes blank.

a few things ive noticed over the last day of watching the thing crash: the hard drive seems to cease all function. it just stops, not sound from the drive and the red light that signals that is in use does not come on at all. otherwise everything else seems to be functioning. the disk drive even opens and attempts to read a disk when inserted, lights and fans all remain on, etc.

i also attempted to do a check on the HD for errors, but it rebooted part of the way through. its crashing and rebooting constantly this morning. i cant get to stay on for more than two minutes at a time if i can even log on at all.
Could be a dodgy hard drive. I've had a bad drive cause reboots before and it wasn't even the OS drive. If grabbing a new drive on a hunch is too much, perhaps try downloading one of those linux distributions that boot from a CD. Disconnect the hard drive and boot up into one of those and play around for a while, perhaps run something intensive on it for a while. If it's stable, you'll know it's the drive.

Yoritomo said:
Make the tv your primary monitor. Plug in controller before launching the game.

goddamn man you really are a genius. seriously though, thanks.

i just spent like 2 hours just ogling at Just Cause 2 running on my relatively beastly new PC through my HDTV... almost like a religious experience. flew a plane as high as i could and freefalled into the sunset at 60fps/8xAA. *tears of joy*

so what other games work well on PC with the 360 controller? i was thinking of finally trying out Arkham Asylum.

Yoritomo

astroturfing said:
goddamn man you really are a genius. seriously though, thanks.

i just spent like 2 hours just ogling at Just Cause 2 running on my relatively beastly new PC through my HDTV... almost like a religious experience. flew a plane as high as i could and freefalled into the sunset at 60fps/8xAA. *tears of joy*

so what other games work well on PC with the 360 controller? i was thinking of finally trying out Arkham Asylum.

Arkham Asylum is great with the controller. Off the top of my head the recent ones that don't work well are the Mass Effect Games. All valve games should work off the bat. Most everything has decent controller support unless it's a tactical rpg or RTS.

scogoth

Another X79 board, theres going to be some demand for low profile ram in the fall.
DSC_3287_575px.jpg

More importantly for the $2000+ builds OCZs Revodrives have been updated to sandforce 2281 controllers, native PCIe raid controller and only 900MB/s read and 700MB/s write in the Revodrive 3. The Revodrive 3 X2 with 4 sandforce controllers has a mighty 1.5GB/s reads and 1.2GB/s writes. Thats damn near saturating the 4x PCIe slot. Prices starting at $600 for the 240GB Revodrive 3 and $700 for the x2 version.

DSC_3303_575px.jpg

Daigoro

Fredescu said:
Could be a dodgy hard drive. I've had a bad drive cause reboots before and it wasn't even the OS drive. If grabbing a new drive on a hunch is too much, perhaps try downloading one of those linux distributions that boot from a CD. Disconnect the hard drive and boot up into one of those and play around for a while, perhaps run something intensive on it for a while. If it's stable, you'll know it's the drive.

it doesnt even need anything intensive to crash. it was crashing and rebooting over and over this morning without doing anything at all. i could barely boot half the time.

ive got several drives, so maybe i can try swapping them around or something. thanks for the suggestion.

scogoth said:
Another X79 board, theres going to be some demand for low profile ram in the fall.
DSC_3287_575px.jpg

Unless they come up with faster CPUs down the line, SB-E is going to be a massive disappointment.

More importantly for the $2000+ builds OCZs Revodrives have been updated to sandforce 2281 controllers, native PCIe raid controller and only 900MB/s read and 700MB/s write in the Revodrive 3. The Revodrive 3 X2 with 4 sandforce controllers has a mighty 1.5GB/s reads and 1.2GB/s writes. Thats damn near saturating the 4x PCIe slot. Prices starting at $600 for the 240GB Revodrive 3 and $700 for the x2 version.

DSC_3303_575px.jpg

Yeah, that's crazy. But! SB-E and Ivy Bridge will upgrade to PCIe 3.0.

Still though, I've decided that SATA III SSDs will be good enough for now.

Jomjom

Banned
Bought Witcher 2 and found out couldn't play it with my horribly outdated rig. I'm in the preliminary stages of building a new computer, but I'm extremely cheap and I'm not in a hurry so I'm picking up a piece here and there. Currently, there is a really good deal on the HD 4850 radeon card. If I picked up 2 of these, would they run Witcher 2 ok?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
jling84 said:
Bought Witcher 2 and found out couldn't play it with my horribly outdated rig. I'm in the preliminary stages of building a new computer, but I'm extremely cheap and I'm not in a hurry so I'm picking up a piece here and there. Currently, there is a really good deal on the HD 4850 radeon card. If I picked up 2 of these, would they run Witcher 2 ok?
Yes, but I don't think the 4 series scales as well as newer cards and you will have light bleeding through walls until they fix it. If it is the $40 deal, go for it.

Ezahn

Hazaro said:
nVidia tends to be more expensive the farther you get from North America.
GTX 570, Seasonic/Corsair 520/550w, cheapest ~$150 motherboard from MSI,ASRock,GigaByte,ASUS. I don't know your selection in Italy, but all the P67 boards at the price range are solid (except ASUS P8P67 LE). If you need eSATA, wifi, extra PCI slots, etc. you can check on the differences.

For a single card board I still go for the MSI P67A-C43 as it is a nice price for exactly what most people need.

Thanks so much Haz, and tnx Exodu5 for confirming the thumbs up on C43.

Still, Hazaro, I saw your new build in the op and read your consideration: you feel that spending a bit more on mobo + psu for letting the SLI option open for the future is worth it, right?
It was my first thought (I mused around the Asrock Extreme4 P67 + 800w psu) but after that I was like... what the hell, maybe I'll never SLI and I'll just buy a newer card when I'll need it.

Still, as I was saying, your latest build left me thinking...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Dun dun dun

6/1/2011: AMD Bulldozer (AM3+) CPU's delayed 2-3 months or more
8KQdX.jpg

Ezahn said:

Still, Hazaro, I saw your new build in the op and read your consideration: you feel that spending a bit more on mobo + psu for letting the SLI option open for the future is worth it, right?
It was my first thought (I mused around the Asrock Extreme4 P67 + 800w psu) but after that I was like... what the hell, maybe I'll never SLI and I'll just buy a newer card when I'll need it.

It is just an option. A good card now with refreshes at the end of the year is certainly a fine route to go as well. Less hassle and power and money you need.
Some people want to have a degree of future proofing and upgrade options available to them. Some just want a single card.

Also I don't know any good 800W PSU's. There are more likely to be better branded 750W (Seasonic, PCP&C, XFX, Corsair) all have good 750W units.

Ezahn

Hazaro said:
Also I don't know any good 800W PSU's.

Well, the Corsair GS800 should be good (has had good review at least).

Let's put it this way: what would you choose between these two options?

1) i5 2500k + 650w PSU + MSI P67A-C43 + Geforce Gainward Phantom 580 1.5 gb (with future upgrade of the single GPU)

2) i5 2500k + 750w PSU + Asrock Extreme4 P67 + Geforce Gainward Phantom 570 1.0 gb (with future possible SLI)

Seep

I've decided I'm finally going to get a gaming PC, so what kind of set up do I need to run say Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3 on max settings?

Also how often would I need to upgrade to keep up to date with the latest games?

Your help is appreciated PC Gaf.

scogoth

cartman414 said:
Unless they come up with faster CPUs down the line, SB-E is going to be a massive disappointment.
It already is a mssive disappointment. Intel really isn't targeting enthusiasts with this one, this is a workstation class platform. I was planning on building a X79 system but I think I'm going to wait for series 7 chipset and ivy bridge.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ezahn said:

No, I don't think it's worth it. Either SLI upfront if you need more power than the best single card offers, or don't SLI at all.

Coldsnap

This screen tearing stuff confuses me. So while standing around in the Witcher 2 and spinning the camera around in circles while also going up and down I notice large vertical tearing lines. So I turned on vertical sync in config, tested it and was still getting same results. I then turned off D3D Overdriver and enabled tripple buffering and sync in my nvidia control pannel load up witcher 2 and get no screan tearing. So at this point I think I'm going to just uninstall D3D and just roll with nvidia settings. The D3D does chime when i launch witcher btw

scogoth said:
It already is a mssive disappointment. Intel really isn't targeting enthusiasts with this one, this is a workstation class platform. I was planning on building a X79 system but I think I'm going to wait for series 7 chipset and ivy bridge.

What's the point of the i7s that will use it though? (Aren't Xeons targeted towards workstations anyways?) And only 4 DIMM slots for quad channel? What gives?

Ivy Bridge was already looking like the better deal. Heck, during the Nehalem days, I always thought the X55 quad-cores were a much better deal than their high end X58/i7-9xx counterparts. Less expensive and power hungry, and they still made great gaming CPUs.

Console graphics cards are dated and an 8800GT sure is heck is more powerful than the console's graphics chips. Now why does Battlefield look and run smoother better on consoles than on my PC with an 8800GT? Even on low settings

Van Owen

Banned
momolicious said:
Console graphics cards are dated and an 8800GT sure is heck is more powerful than the console's graphics chips. Now why does Battlefield look and run smoother better on consoles than on my PC with an 8800GT? Even on low settings
Are you playing at 720p?

TheExodu5

Banned
momolicious said:

Your CPU is probably limiting you here. BFBC2 really likes a quad-core.

Keep in mind that the consoles still have relatively powerful CPUs, which were created with running games in mind. I don't think they follow the outdated x86 architecture.

mkenyon

Banned
momolicious said:
Because you haven't spent countless hours optimizing it like they have for console hardware.

Spookie

UK master race I require your council!

Now I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a new PC ready for Battlefield 3. But I'd feel better if someone gave my build a once over and helped me choose a good 580 card AND tell me the best place to pick everything up from! Currently this is all coming from Scan and includes delivery.

GPU £400 - Nvidia 580
CPU £160 - i5 2500K
Mobo £140 - Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3
Ram £70 - Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB
Case £120 - Corsair T600
HDD £40 - 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
SSD £90 - Crucial RealSSD M4 64GB
PSU £101 - Antec TP-750 Blue TruePower 750W
CPU Cooler, Fans & TIM £60

Total £1,181

RS4-

I think I'm going to look into an aftermarket cooler for the 6950; possibly the Thermalright Shaman. Going to check out other alternatives. Just not sure how well it'd work in the FT02 case.

I'm convinced that I can't flash my GPU because of my mobo lol; I'm sure it shouldn't have any bearing on it but it could be it!

Hopefully Saturday's NCIX warehouse sale goes well and I can actually grab some parts. I'm just a 10 min walk from the place but knowing my luck with hoarders and people that just want to buy then sell, I'll probably get screwed over.

CaLe

cartman414 said:
Just wondering what you guys thought of the following idea:

I'm considering getting an iMac as soon as Apple rolls out their B2S special, and then building a new PC once Ivy Bridge rolls out next year, using the iMac as a monitor.

BTW, as far as mobos go, IIRC it's the ASUS P8Z68 Pro that you want. Easy and wicked fast overclocking according to one of the reviews.

Very bad idea for the iMac, the new models can't be used as an external monitor for you PC unless you have thunderbolt on it.

scy

mkenyon said:
As a guy who goes to LANs often, that's the selling point. Could bring in all my stuff in one load.

Could've at least made it look like part of the top of the case as opposed to someone slapped a handle on top of it.

clav

mkenyon said:
As a guy who goes to LANs often, that's the selling point. Could bring in all my stuff in one load.
That handle could have been designed a lot nicer.

Wonder how much space is there for an aftermarket CPU cooler and double slot graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom