• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
snack said:
If you're only gaming, 4GB will hold up quite well for a good while. The only reason to go for more than that is if you are a heavy multi-tasker, or you run multiple VMs.

nope not at all, when I play games there's ( actually in general aswell ) not a single superfluous process/task running in the background.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Corky said:
nope not at all, when I play games there's ( actually in general aswell ) not a single superfluous process/task running in the background.

is there a way to do this without having a special gaming boot? eg can you set the game up to take over the computer completely? i.e no virus scans or automated backups and other crap?

When I'm on my MBP running parallels I'll sometimes turn the airport off as thats the only way I seem to be able to stop time machine backups which kills performance, and a bunch of other background tasks.

Blackface

Banned
Corky said:

Not only do I play games, but when I do I run Vent, Skype, fraps, streaming programs, music and normally have firefox + tabs open. All at the same time.

4 gigs does all of this without any issues at all.

8 gigs right now, is overkill for most users.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
mrklaw said:
is there a way to do this without having a special gaming boot? eg can you set the game up to take over the computer completely? i.e no virus scans or automated backups and other crap?

When I'm on my MBP running parallels I'll sometimes turn the airport off as thats the only way I seem to be able to stop time machine backups which kills performance, and a bunch of other background tasks.
Game Booster or something

Salaadin

Would running a dual monitor setup kill in game FPS?
Is it possible to use only one monitor to play games on while leaving the other free to handle other things (skype, etc) and can I essentially set it up so that the second monitor will take the place of having to alt-tab whenever I need to leave a game?

Parl

Right, slightly out of the loop, but done some research. This is a gaming PC, but it doesn't need to be anything special and the CPU I selected is pretty much as high as I can go, but I've seen the X3 435 run modern games flawlessly on high settings, so I don't think this should be a concern.

Tentative setup, but any changes that make it better without any significant price increases would be welcome.

fz9ber.png

I will be buying a monitor on top, and I've seen the one I'm buying and it's easily good enough. It's a BenQ 1080p 24".

My friend offered his suggestion for how it should be for the budget...

zt87yu.png

So what do you think?

jiien

Parl said:
Right, slightly out of the loop, but done some research. This is a gaming PC, but it doesn't need to be anything special and the CPU I selected is pretty much as high as I can go, but I've seen the X3 435 run modern games flawlessly on high settings, so I don't think this should be a concern.

Tentative setup, but any changes that make it better without any significant price increases would be welcome.

I will be buying a monitor on top, and I've seen the one I'm buying and it's easily good enough. It's a BenQ 1080p 24".

My friend offered his suggestion for how it should be for the budget...

So what do you think?

General thoughts:

Unless you really care about audio, drop the sound card. I'm assuming you don't care much about it since your build didn't have it. Also, the last thing you want to skimp on is the PSU. A bad one can take your whole computer with it. Make sure you get one that is 80 plus certified.

From your build, I would change the PSU. Not that Corsair is bad, but that particular PSU may not be up to snuff. I would swap out the hard drive for an F3 Spinpoint, since by your numbers, it is cheaper to do so.

From your friend's build, why are you buying two sticks of RAM, rather than a kit of two sticks? Also, why two F3's? I would drop the sound card, and the speakers. I would make sure that case is decent.

Did you look up any reviews? Both builds seem to have a different focus, and if I were you, I'd at least look over both carefully, and pull from each, maybe. If price is an important point, then some of the choices seem superfluous.

Finally, what's wrong with the build in the OP?

Edit: Wait, what is your budget? The two builds you posted are over 200 dollars apart...

mclaren777

Random question...

I just heard about a utility called EVGA Precision on another forum. Apparently it is Nvidia-specific, but I was wondering if it was also EVGA-specific. I have an MSI GTX 460 and I'd like to use this utility, but I'm worried about potential compatibility issues.

Does anyone have experience using proprietary utilities with alien hardware?

Velion

mclaren777 said:
Random question...

I just heard about a utility called EVGA Precision on another forum. Apparently it is Nvidia-specific, but I was wondering if it was also EVGA-specific. I have an MSI GTX 460 and I'd like to use this utility, but I'm worried about potential compatibility issues.

Does anyone have experience using proprietary utilities with alien hardware?

It will work for any nvidia chipset, same as the MSI afterburner program (precision with fan profiles).

derder

Salaadin said:
Is it possible to use only one monitor to play games on while leaving the other free to handle other things (skype, etc) and can I essentially set it up so that the second monitor will take the place of having to alt-tab whenever I need to leave a game?
It doesn't render it unplayable, I noticed less than a 5% decrease in performance while running the hl2 benchmark utility while having only one monitor on, then both. As long as you're not running video on the second monitor, I doubt you'll even notice.

Answer: Doesn't lower it enough to not be worth the advantage of seeing the extra stuff.

Alright guys having abit of a problem. Just uninstalled two worlds 2 and the space is still taken up. Considering I only have a 60gb SSD at the moment its a bit of a problem. I have 55gb total space with 6 available, and everything on my hard drive only adds up to 42 so I should have 13. Any idea where it might be hiding or what happened?

Acid08

Banned
Having problems running TF2. I have an HP G60 laptop and according to the specs I fit somewhere in the middle of the minimum and recommended settings. The game automatically picks recommended settings and it runs like shit, so I turn everything to the lowest settings and it still runs like shit. What gives?

Acid08 said:
Having problems running TF2. I have an HP G60 laptop and according to the specs I fit somewhere in the middle of the minimum and recommended settings. The game automatically picks recommended settings and it runs like shit, so I turn everything to the lowest settings and it still runs like shit. What gives?
I'm sorry man, but that graphics card is still outdated, even for a game like tf2. You try running in a lower resolution too?

Acid08

Banned
Mr Nightman said:
I'm sorry man, but that graphics card is still outdated, even for a game like tf2. You try running in a lower resolution too?
I think 1280x720 is the lowest resolution option it gave me.

knitoe

Conflict NZ said:
Alright guys having abit of a problem. Just uninstalled two worlds 2 and the space is still taken up. Considering I only have a 60gb SSD at the moment its a bit of a problem. I have 55gb total space with 6 available, and everything on my hard drive only adds up to 42 so I should have 13. Any idea where it might be hiding or what happened?
Check your Paging and Hibernation files.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You can likely change it to 4:3 to get even lower resolutions, but I don't know, IMO the graphics chip should be good enough for TF2, Source doesn't use that much power. Up till a few months ago I was running TF2 on a laptop with a Radeon X1200, sure it had a low FPS but the game was playable.

I would double check if you really have everything as low as possible, even if it says recommended turn it down.

ElyrionX

Salaadin said:

I would really like to know this as well

knitoe

Conflict NZ said:
Where might those be?
Make sure you uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" in Folder options. Hibernation file is located in C:\hiberfil.sys. For me on 60GB SSD, it's showing 5.98GB.

As to paging file, System Properties > Advanced tab > Settings > Advanced tab > at bottom, look at Virtual Memory section for paging file size. Suggest, you click on "Change." "Set" no paging on "C:" drive, and then, move it to another drive.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
jiien said:
General thoughts:

Unless you really care about audio, drop the sound card. I'm assuming you don't care much about it since your build didn't have it. Also, the last thing you want to skimp on is the PSU. A bad one can take your whole computer with it. Make sure you get one that is 80 plus certified.

From your build, I would change the PSU. Not that Corsair is bad, but that particular PSU may not be up to snuff. I would swap out the hard drive for an F3 Spinpoint, since by your numbers, it is cheaper to do so.

From your friend's build, why are you buying two sticks of RAM, rather than a kit of two sticks? Also, why two F3's? I would drop the sound card, and the speakers. I would make sure that case is decent.

Did you look up any reviews? Both builds seem to have a different focus, and if I were you, I'd at least look over both carefully, and pull from each, maybe. If price is an important point, then some of the choices seem superfluous.

Edit: Wait, what is your budget? The two builds you posted are over 200 dollars apart...

the second build includes a 3D monitor. Remove that and they're about the same (£500)

For about £500 I was putting together i5 2500K/4GB systems (just window shopping), but with no graphics card. So another £125 for a 460 system taking you to £625. That should be a decent bump in performance if you can stomach the extra..

I'd drop the sound card and speakers -just get any old crappy speakers for a while, or even headphones, then add them slowly later when funds allow.

Parl

jiien said:
General thoughts:

It's a build for my brother, but I've quizzed him on priorities and wants, and while is current speakers are cheap, they do the job enough for him.

That PSU is supposed to be very good. What would you suggest? Capacity above 640 GB is kinda unnecessary in this build, and my research suggested that the Caviar Black is better than the F3 1GB for gaming usage (the price is roughly on par).

I think because it's cheaper. It still works dual-channel right? That case sucks. I've used cheap cases before - some are study, some aren't. The one I chose is fine (though I'm probably going to go with one slightly more expensive if it comes back in stock). He chose 2 F3's for RAID.

Yep, looked up plenty of reviews and benchmarks. My build has a much stronger CPU which should be fine for selling the GTX 460 in say 3 years and getting a new one, with a bit of overclocking the X4 955. My friend's choice would probably be a real bottleneck by then. 3D is also completely undesired, and the other differences are him being really cheap on case, PSU. I'm not sure what I'd take from the other build because I am trying to build it for what I know my brother wants.

The damn capable is slightly underpowered for the budget, the $1000 is too expensive. I went in between.

His budget is £650-£700 with a preference for keeping to the £650, and that includes a monitor for £143 on my build which I should have included to avoid confusion.

Thanks for the advice.

Parl

mrklaw said:
For about £500 I was putting together i5 2500K/4GB systems (just window shopping), but with no graphics card. So another £125 for a 460 system taking you to £625. That should be a decent bump in performance if you can stomach the extra..
I know the i5 2500K is a fantastic CPU, but is my CPU choice a bottleneck in so far that putting a better one in will actually make a difference? I was under the impression that the GTX 460 was the limiting factor, or doesn't it quite work like that.

If even a X3 435 can pull through modern games well enough, with the GPU capping the performance, how does a better CPU make a non-negligible difference, or are you talking non-gaming applications? The X4 955 is easily much more powerful that needed for his non-gaming applications.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Parl said:
I know the i5 2500K is a fantastic CPU, but is my CPU choice a bottleneck in so far that putting a better one in will actually make a difference? I was under the impression that the GTX 460 was the limiting factor, or doesn't it quite work like that.

If even a X3 435 can pull through modern games well enough, with the GPU capping the performance, how does a better CPU make a non-negligible difference, or are you talking non-gaming applications? The X4 955 is easily much more powerful that needed for his non-gaming applications.

You were mentioning you could pull the 460 out in a couple of years and update it. Makes sense to have a core system that will take advantage of whatever you put in next time (or just put another 460 in for SLI later on). Otherwise you might be replacing half the insides.

you could get an i5 sandy bridge 2400 for £148, and a H67 motherboard for £71. Take the stock cooler for now if you're not overclocking, and thats only £10 more than your motherboard/CPU/cooler.

Or an i5 2500 for another £15

edit: Plus, isn't the X4 a dead-end motherboard wise? You might be able to put an X6 in it, but after that you're looking at motherboard + CPU upgrade. Sandy Bridge motherboards might have longer legs later on for a CPU upgrade?

Parl

mrklaw said:
you could get an i5 sandy bridge 2400 for £148, and a H67 motherboard for £71. Take the stock cooler for now if you're not overclocking, and thats only £10 more than your motherboard/CPU/cooler.

Or an i5 2500 for another £15
Hmm, I'll certainly look into that. Sounds good. But what will the actual difference be in gaming performance? Or is it more of a future-proofing measure?

IrishNinja

hey, quick question - is there a guide on optimal settings in ATI catalyst? ive got a 6870 and ive no idea why im getting screen tearing in Amnesia. i was crashing for a bit, then i read i should turn vsync on via catalyst and not the game, but another thread on here was saying i should just let D3Doverrider do this and its all kinda new to me. i know there's not gonna be one optimal setting for everything, but some kinda ballpark would be cool.

Nabs

Try forcing Triple Buffering (OpenGL) in the ATI Control Panel. I don't think D3D is needed here, but I could be wrong. You should still have D3D on hand for most games.

jiien

Parl said:
It's a build for my brother, but I've quizzed him on priorities and wants, and while is current speakers are cheap, they do the job enough for him.

That PSU is supposed to be very good. What would you suggest? Capacity above 640 GB is kinda unnecessary in this build, and my research suggested that the Caviar Black is better than the F3 1GB for gaming usage (the price is roughly on par).

I think because it's cheaper. It still works dual-channel right? That case sucks. I've used cheap cases before - some are study, some aren't. The one I chose is fine (though I'm probably going to go with one slightly more expensive if it comes back in stock). He chose 2 F3's for RAID.

Yep, looked up plenty of reviews and benchmarks. My build has a much stronger CPU which should be fine for selling the GTX 460 in say 3 years and getting a new one, with a bit of overclocking the X4 955. My friend's choice would probably be a real bottleneck by then. 3D is also completely undesired, and the other differences are him being really cheap on case, PSU. I'm not sure what I'd take from the other build because I am trying to build it for what I know my brother wants.

The damn capable is slightly underpowered for the budget, the $1000 is too expensive. I went in between.

His budget is £650-£700 with a preference for keeping to the £650, and that includes a monitor for £143 on my build which I should have included to avoid confusion.

Thanks for the advice.

Haha, my shitty advice. Looks like you did your homework. I was just throwing out ideas. When I get some time at work, I might get a chance to put together some alternatives, but you've clearly done the legwork.

Just a side question: When did you put this build together? It's always good to sit on a complete build for a few days, and mull it over. Just to make sure you didn't miss anything.

Parl

jiien said:
Haha, my shitty advice. Looks like you did your homework. I was just throwing out ideas. When I get some time at work, I might get a chance to put together some alternatives, but you've clearly done the legwork.

Just a side question: When did you put this build together? It's always good to sit on a complete build for a few days, and mull it over. Just to make sure you didn't miss anything.
I did so about Sunday I think, and then did further research and tried again from scratch and came to the exact same setup. I'm contemplating going up to the i5 2400, but I don't know. If I'm not overclocking, I would wind up saving money and keeping the stock cooler for the X4 955 anyway, but the intention is to overclock, but I guess I could leave that till a later date if it becomes advantageous - ie, if something demands a high clock rate to run noticeably faster.

mbmonk

Just wanted to thank all the system builders in this thread. I was wanting to OC my Q6600, and while this is still a work in progress, this thread helped me figure out three things.

1) I am an idiot
2) My Cooler Master heatsink + fan combo work much better when it is installed properly.
3) I am an idiot.

Basically I have 3 fans in my case. I have an intake fan in the front, heatsink+fan in the middle of the case (roughly), and an exhaust fan in the rear. Basically I had the heatsink + fan turned the wrong way and so air couldn't flow through the case, the hot air just seemed to get caught in the case, and thus pushing my temps up.

So with the fan turned the wrong way my Q6600 at default speed ( 2.4) would push 70 degrees celsius at full load for all 4 cores ( Max spec temp for the processor is 71 degrees ). After correct installation it barely gets over 55 degrees celsius. So I went from having no head room temp wise to OC my processor, to a ton of head room.

So thanks to all the system builders and the people that helped them. You indirectly helped me out as well.

Thanks again.

Your Current Specs: I'm on an iMac Core 2 Due 4GB Ram (2.66hz)
Budget: $800 - $1000 - CANADA
Main Use: Gaming, 1080p playback.
Monitor Resolution: Not sure what the max res is of my monitor. I'm stuck at work right now.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Crysis 2, Portal 2, WoW (lol), Dragon Age 2, Black Ops, Diablo III
Are reusing any parts?: NO
When will you build?: Let's say in a month.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe

NCIX builds would be preferably since I'll probably have them build it. You don't have to include that $50 cost in the budget. I did this last year but didn't bite. Now that my move is done I' seriously considering it again.

Sandy Bridge also preferable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Parl said:
I did so about Sunday I think, and then did further research and tried again from scratch and came to the exact same setup. I'm contemplating going up to the i5 2400, but I don't know. If I'm not overclocking, I would wind up saving money and keeping the stock cooler for the X4 955 anyway, but the intention is to overclock, but I guess I could leave that till a later date if it becomes advantageous - ie, if something demands a high clock rate to run noticeably faster.

if you want futureproof-ish, i5 2400, stock cooler, GTX460. Maybe consider an SLI capable motherboard.

Next step, replace the cooler and overclock.

Next step, add another 460 in SLI.

Next step, replace processor with 8 core 22nm monster (this is speculation)

It'd keep you going for years. You'll not only have a good system now, but you will have clear, not too expensive steps to improve performance bit by bit as you go.

n0n44m

mrklaw said:
if you want futureproof-ish, i5 2400, stock cooler, GTX460. Maybe consider an SLI capable motherboard.

Next step, replace the cooler and overclock.

Next step, add another 460 in SLI.

Next step, replace processor with 8 core 22nm monster (this is speculation)

It'd keep you going for years. You'll not only have a good system now, but you will have clear, not too expensive steps to improve performance bit by bit as you go.

2400 doesn't overclock , only 2500K and 2600K

I think it's also doubtful there will be an 8 core CPU for the 1155 socket

TheExodu5

Banned
You need to get a 2500K if you want to overclock.

It's also doubtful that 8 core CPUs will even be beneficial in games for quite a few years. An overclocked 2500K is nowhere near being a bottleneck.

mbmonk

Has SLI changed over the past couple of years? I tried it a couple of years back (2006 or 2007) and it was just a big pain in the rear with w/o much performance gain.

1) If you bought a game that was just released there wouldn't be a profile for it in the drivers, so you had to manually set it up to get SLI to activate at all. Otherwise you are running on a single card.

2) The performance gains for most of the games I played wasn't that significant. So the cost of buying 2 vid cards wasn't worth it. I could just buy a single card with the extra cash, get better performance, less headaches, and less power consumption.

Has this changed?

EDIT: Seems like SLI is only for the high end. That makes sense. At that point you probably can't buy a single card that is more powerful because it either doesn't exist or is very expensive.

TheExodu5

Banned
Seems fine to me so far. You should expect a few headaches though. WoW, for example, before the latest driver patch, did not work properly with SLI.

I still wouldn't do it unless you're going high end. GTX 560 and 6950 are probably the minimum cards I would even consider doing in SLI/Crossfire.

Salaadin

derder said:
It doesn't render it unplayable, I noticed less than a 5% decrease in performance while running the hl2 benchmark utility while having only one monitor on, then both. As long as you're not running video on the second monitor, I doubt you'll even notice.

Answer: Doesn't lower it enough to not be worth the advantage of seeing the extra stuff.

Thanks for the reply. Thats similar to what Ive been reading elsewhere.

I have a 23in ASUS VH236H that I slightly scratched by accident and the scratch was enough to make me want a new monitor. I ordered the 23in ASUS VH328H and was just going to sell my damaged one for cheap but am now considering dual monitors.

As far as setup goes, if I want to keep one monitor solely for gaming purposes and use the other as a desktop while Im gaming, is there any special setup Id need to do? How would the game know that I want to game on only one monitor instead of stretching the game across both?

Salaadin

CrankyJay said:
These were on sale at Buy.com with free shipping for $152 - $20 rebate = $132 yesterday. Check out my link on previous pages.

I actually saw your post yesterday. Thanks.
Thats a good deal for a great monitor. Im kinda set on the VH238H though despite it not being reviewed anywhere yet and its higher price tag. Its specs are nearly identical to the VH236H except its LED backlighting.

Pctx

Banned
Well... new cards out...

Ti 560 hits @ $249

AMD counters with 6950 1GB cards @ $250.

So many lovely choices now and on the cheap!

mclaren777

Destination: OLYMPIA, WA, US
Service type: GROUND
Weight: 3.90 LBS

1/22/2011 - 1:53:00am - DEPARTURE SCAN - SYLMAR, CA, US
1/22/2011 - 1:54:00am - IN TRANSIT TO - PORTLAND, OR, US
HOW LONG CAN IT POSSIBLY TAKE TO DRIVE 805 MILES?!

/rant

Pctx said:
Well... new cards out...

Ti 560 hits @ $249

AMD counters with 6950 1GB cards @ $250.

So many lovely choices now and on the cheap!

The lowest 6950 1gb on Newegg is $259. Also, there are questions about whether or not they will stay in stock as this is likely an early launch to counter the 560. Should be interesting how pricing shakes out in the next few weeks, though.

Salaadin

mclaren777 said:
HOW LONG CAN IT POSSIBLY TAKE TO DRIVE 805 MILES?!

/rant

Lol, I have a package that shipped from Canada on Monday and made it to and then left Philly yesterday. I live 2.5 hours from Philly. The estimated delivery date is Thursday. Im going to kill someone if we get that snow Thursday morning and then I have to wait until Friday.

Pctx

Banned
prodystopian said:
The lowest 6950 1gb on Newegg is $259. Also, there are questions about whether or not they will stay in stock as this is likely an early launch to counter the 560. Should be interesting how pricing shakes out in the next few weeks, though.
Yeah I just saw them there. Always funny how the "theoretical" price goes from what is suggested to $10-$20+ more.

Still though, I'm loving these cards because it's dropping the prices across the board. :)

Erebus

After all the Sandy Bridge praise around here and elsewhere on the internet, I've been wondering if it is wise to ditch my old s775 mobo and Q9550 processor and upgrade to an i5 2500K. Will the performance boost be significant in games or should I wait until the prices on the i7 CPUs become more affordable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom