• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
vocab said:
Ambient temps are different per person.

50C idle 80C Load sounds normal to me. At least from a Fermi point of view.

It is summer at the moment with around 30C ambient temperature, how much of an effect will that have on the GPU temp?

Dabanton

Getting a new PC from my GF for my birthday. Will definitely be revisiting this thread for some ideas. Things seem to be moving so fast in terms of what to get though.

n0n44m

Conflict NZ said:
It is summer at the moment with around 30C ambient temperature, how much of an effect will that have on the GPU temp?

a lot as most reviewers are in air conditioned ~18C rooms :D

get a Thermalright Shaman or Accelero Xtreme Plus if you really want to overclock

Fredescu

Dabanton said:
Getting a new PC from my GF for my birthday. Will definitely be revisiting this thread for some ideas. Things seem to be moving so fast in terms of what to get though.
Now is a pretty good time actually, all the major shit has happened in the last few months and there won't be any major changes for a while. Basically building a gaming PC is now "get an i5 2500k and whichever video card suits your budget".

Conflict NZ said:

During Winter (in Melbourne) I could Furmark bench my card and it would top out at 62C. Playing games now, my temperature peaks at around 80C. Different card but you can see the big difference ambient temperature makes.

Maybe keep it stock now and bump it up when it cools down, or crank up the air conditioner.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
recommendations for a desktop/AV style case that'll take an i5 2500k/ATI 6950 or similar setup? Doesn't need to be silent, I just want something I can put under my DVD player/sky box in the spare room.

Hazaro said:
1C to 1C iirc

Yup. You're using air cooling, that implies blowing air from your room into your case, which means that logically your cooling performance is always ambient + heat exhausted from components. So higher ambient results in higher temperatures. If you want cooling performance below ambient, you need watercooling.

I'm actually thinking of buying one of those Thermalright Shamans just to make my GTX 470 shut the hell up while gaming. I must be crazy, a GPU cooler that takes up 4 slots!

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
mrklaw said:
recommendations for a desktop/AV style case that'll take an i5 2500k/ATI 6950 or similar setup? Doesn't need to be silent, I just want something I can put under my DVD player/sky box in the spare room.

Definitely not a NZXT Phantom :lol

1Xspd.jpg

JoeBoy101

Big Baybee said:
Are Razer keyboards and mice reliable? Been reading really mixed reviews. What keyboards do you guys game on? Mice?

Just replaced both Razer KB and Mouse. The Mouse was actually quite good until it started jumping (i.e., losing its place and dropping tracking of the cursor) and it would also just flake out every couple of hours or so. This was a Lachesis. It was great for a couple of years then went all pear-shaped.

I had a Lycosa keyboard and that was even worse. For a year it was alright and then it started random changing profiles and the lights would cycle through modes by itself. With some new drivers, its helped some, but now on my new computer, its started losing its connection to the computer every so often. Got a Logitech G110 for a keyboard coming in and already using a Logitech G500 for the mouse. Mouse works great so far.

n0n44m

Unknown Soldier said:
Yup. You're using air cooling, that implies blowing air from your room into your case, which means that logically your cooling performance is always ambient + heat exhausted from components. So higher ambient results in higher temperatures. If you want cooling performance below ambient, you need watercooling.

I'm actually thinking of buying one of those Thermalright Shamans just to make my GTX 470 shut the hell up while gaming. I must be crazy, a GPU cooler that takes up 4 slots!

sorry but your theory isn't correct :p watercooling is the same as aircooling, as the radiators are cooled with air just like a normal heatsink. Only difference is water is the medium in between taking the heat from the chips to the radiator. The reason it performs (much) better is because large radiators have much much much more surface area compared to even the largest CPU air heatsinks. But you're still limited by ambient temps; the water will not cool down below ambient and neither will your chips for that reason

I have an Accelero Xtreme Plus on my GTX480 and it is definitely worth it both in overclocking and in terms of noise. The whine of the default fan in any challenging DX11 game was really working on my nerves even after just 2 weeks lol

Now I can't even hear it when I set the RPM to card-controlled =D

Kerrinck

Is it worth it to upgrade from a 5770 at the moment? Thinking of doing it mostly for The witcher 2.
While on the subject, what is the best bang for buck video card in the 250-300$ range? Will be playing in 1920x1080.

CrankyJay said:
Just ordered 2 ASUS VH236H monitors for about $132 each after $20 rebate on each. Free shipping.

Two 23" monitors for under $300.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2602897

Really thinking about this. For anyone else considering, this is used for the biggest fighting game tournament in the US, Evo because it is 'lagless'*:

http://shoryuken.com/f322/using-evo-monitor-asus-vh236h-221068/

*As you can see in that discussion it is not truly lagless, but about as close as LCDs come.

SumPog

Neo Member
Kerrinck said:
Is it worth it to upgrade from a 5770 at the moment? Thinking of doing it mostly for The witcher 2.
While on the subject, what is the best bang for buck video card in the 250-300$ range? Will be playing in 1920x1080.

I would wait for the prices for the new generations of graphics cards to drop.

derder

Kerrinck said:
eGsWM.png

I'm going to upgrade from a 4850 and have been pondering the same thing. Prices are from newegg and include AR.
Data from here
All data numbers are 1920x1200

Kerrinck said:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-radeon-hd-6870-geforce-gtx-570,2834-5.html
Check this out
~$185 6850 or 460
~$230 6870
~$300 6950
They dont recommend going over 300 unless you stop caring about bang for buck. But 2 460s will beat out a 480 for a little cheaper in cost.

Here is synthetic list
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

GeForce GTX 580 3,794
GeForce GTX 480 3,534
GeForce GTX 570 3,481
Radeon HD 6970 3,054
Radeon HD 6950 3,038
Quadro 6000 3,038
GeForce GTX 470 2,966
Radeon HD 6870 2,869
Radeon HD 6850 2,715
Radeon HD 5870 2,683
WinFast GTX 460 2,616
Radeon HD 5970 2,583
Quadro 5000 2,512
Tesla C2050 2,509
GeForce GTX 465 2,494
Radeon HD 5850 2,458
GeForce GTX 460 2,335
FirePro V7800 2,293
FirePro V8800 2,289
GeForce GTX 460 SE 2,143
SKD Radeon 4870 X2 2,125
Radeon HD 5830 2,069
GeForce GTX 285 2,051
WinFast GTX 285 2,004
GeForce GTX 485M 1,995
GeForce GTX 280 1,951
Radeon HD 4890 1,941
Quadro 4000 1,940
ASUS EAH4890 1,917
GeForce GTX 275 1,898
FirePro V8750 1,769
Radeon HD 4870 1,743
RV790 1,728
GeForce GTX 260 1,727
GeForce GTX 480M 1,718
GeForce GTX 295 1,702
FirePro V8700 1,646
Radeon HD4870 X2 1,641
Radeon HD 5770 1,624

ElyrionX

derder said:
eGsWM.png

I'm going to upgrade from a 4850 and have been pondering the same thing. Prices are from newegg and include AR.
Data from here
All data numbers are 1920x1200

How can you even calculate something like performance-to-cost which is essentially FPS divided by cost and end up with a dollar sign at the end?

hyelife

I got my computer all setup and did some testing with games and its awesome..

My CPU 2600k temps are at 35 average and 50 full load. Im assuming this is good.

So far tryed out Metro 2033 High settings 1080p with no lag whatsoever.
Same with Civil V and Cities XL 2011.

Wrekt

I'm looking for a case suggestion for a friend. I'm building it for him and he'll have a pretty standard build. 2500k (overclocked with an after market HSF of course), 4 gb of ram, 2 SLI'd 460 GTX (maybe 560 depending on the price.) The only thing about a case he really cares about is the total volume of the fans.

I'm suggesting a HAF 932 but he's worried about the volume. I know the 200 fans are supposed to be pretty quiet but I'd love to hear some feedback from someone that owns the case. Or at least some recommendations on a case that can properly cool that configuration without sounding like a jet engine. We'd like to keep the cast as close to $100 as we can get away with.

derder

ElyrionX said:
How can you even calculate something like performance-to-cost which is essentially FPS divided by cost and end up with a dollar sign at the end?
excel formatting
It's a ratio of the (Averaged FPS for all of the games) / Cost

The number is the #fps per dollar
Performance per dollar
Performance-to-cost

derder said:
excel formatting
It's a ratio of the (Averaged FPS for all of the games) / Cost

The number is the #fps per dollar
Performance per dollar
Performance-to-cost
I think the end number should be the other way around. It should be like this
$3.14 per Frame for the 5770
$6.18 per frame for the 480

JoeBoy101

Wrekt said:
I'm looking for a case suggestion for a friend. I'm building it for him and he'll have a pretty standard build. 2500k (overclocked with an after market HSF of course), 4 gb of ram, 2 SLI'd 460 GTX (maybe 560 depending on the price.) The only thing about a case he really cares about is the total volume of the fans.

I'm suggesting a HAF 932 but he's worried about the volume. I know the 200 fans are supposed to be pretty quiet but I'd love to hear some feedback from someone that owns the case. Or at least some recommendations on a case that can properly cool that configuration without sounding like a jet engine. We'd like to keep the cast as close to $100 as we can get away with.

I got the 922, but it has a similar fan configuration. And I'll tell you, the thing almost literally doesn't make a sound. My keyboard is louder than it.

JoeBoy101

grkazan12 said:
Wait the 570 can do Crysis at Max settings and get 48 fps because I got like 25 FPS and thats when i turned down some settings.

!!

I got the 570 and am definitely doing better than 25. What's your AA at? In game AA on Crysis is poorly optimized and I don't take it over 2, but max everything else out.

Also, RealLifesis mod.

Schmattakopf said:
I did get this, actually. $72 at Micro Center because they gave me a coupon. But then they cancelled the order, so now I'm looking for a case again.

Edit: I'm gonna try placing an order with Micro Center again.
Damn it, they cancelled it again. What is with this place?

mclaren777

Wrekt said:
The HAF 912 is also worth considering. I have two 200mm fans in mine governed by a fan controller. I also have two 120mm fans (they came with the case) but I haven't decided if I'm going to use them yet as I haven't actually powered on my computer.

But $60 for the 912 plus $40 for the 200mm fans hits your price target perfectly.

knitoe

http://hardforum.com:80/showthread.php?t=1579942

After lengthy discussions with Intel and R&D this morning, it turns out that the inability of a system to properly resume from sleep/hibernate with Internal PLL Voltage enabled is a documented problem from Intel with the current base firmware code for Sandy Bridge/P67. We are working with Intel on a solution. I will update this thread as additional information becomes available.
Explain why I don't have sleep issue because mine is disable.

scitek

SumPog said:
I would wait for the prices for the new generations of graphics cards to drop.

How long and how much of a drop are we talking? I was going to upgrade to a GTX 570 at the end of this month from a Radeon 5770.

snack

scitek said:
How long and how much of a drop are we talking? I was going to upgrade to a GTX 570 at the end of this month from a Radeon 5770.
I'm in the same boat as you. It is either a 570 or a 560. I'm just playing the waiting game right now.

Big Baybee said:
Are Razer keyboards and mice reliable? Been reading really mixed reviews. What keyboards do you guys game on? Mice?

I had a razer mamba wireless that was a thing of beauty...... for three months. then one it decided it didn't feel like working anymore. so no, theya ren't reliable as far as I'm concerned.

AMD 16-core 32nm engineering sample.

obero.png

Of course, Bulldozer desktops will start at 8-cores (along with 6 & 4), and likely move up to 10 from there.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
out of curiousity, is there any reason for me to up my ram from 4gb to 8gb if the only thing I do is gaming?

TheExodu5

Banned
mrklaw said:
would that be better performance than a 6950? Price is about the same
Yeah, but with added SLI issues. I have SLI GTX 570...while mostly everything had been fine, there have been a few issues. WoW was broken with SLI until the latest driver release. You also need to run games with Vsync if you want to avoid (depending on the game's SLI profile) either microstuttering or dual tearing lines.

I wouldn't bother with SLI unless you're going with high end cards...6950 or 570 at the very least.

jiien

scitek said:
How much would going from 4GB to 8GB of RAM help with HD video editing? Would it cut down rendering times?

I'll venture an educated guess and say probably, but not nearly as much as a better CPU/GPU would.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
scitek said:
How much would going from 4GB to 8GB of RAM help with HD video editing? Would it cut down rendering times?
The increased memory will make a difference during editing, for sure, but will have little impact on rendering times.

snack

Corky said:
out of curiousity, is there any reason for me to up my ram from 4gb to 8gb if the only thing I do is gaming?
If you're only gaming, 4GB will hold up quite well for a good while. The only reason to go for more than that is if you are a heavy multi-tasker, or you run multiple VMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom