• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shambles

mclaren777 said:
Yes, have her get W7 because it could be free (depending on the school) or you can get it directly from Microsoft for $30.

Here's my attempt at building you a cheapish gaming PC, using code EMCKJHE28 on the CPU for $13 off...

If you're spending that much on the CPU you really might as well move up to the i5 2500 if you're not planning on overclocking or the 2500K if you are planning on overclocking. It'll be a bit more but you could shave some money off the PSU as 650W is overkill for a mere GTX 460 768MB. Even a 400W PSU would be ample unless you're planning on going SLI down the road.

mclaren777

DoctorWho said:
Quoting for the new page. :)
Take the build I made for Gloomfire and substitute the following items.

Intel 2500K CPU - $225
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 - $125
MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GB - $210

$760 turns into $877 and then you just need to get Windows 7.

Raistlin

LiquidMetal14 said:
WTF how long is that card? Will it even fit in a case? And how much will it be and when??!?!?

Unless you plan to run two of them, I suspect doing dual 6970 (or flashed 6950) would end up cheaper.

mclaren777

Shambles said:
If you're spending that much on the CPU you really might as well move up to the i5 2500 if you're not planning on overclocking or the 2500K if you are planning on overclocking. It'll be a bit more but you could shave some money off the PSU as 650W is overkill for a mere GTX 460 768MB. Even a 400W PSU would be ample unless you're planning on going SLI down the road.
I agree about the CPU, but his budget was only $700-750 and I went over that slightly. And there was a $40 PSU that I could have suggested, but it had a few undesirable quirks (only one PCI connector, shorter SATA cables, etc). For the extra money he has a more stable PSU that he could build a future computer around if he ever decides to upgrade.

Dennis

Banned
Solo said:
Looks like my rig will arrive on or before Friday. Nice!
Happy gaming.

Lets hope Mass Effect 3 on your new PC is the perfect blend of good graphics and a return to the story and gameplay of Mass Effect.

mclaren777 said:
Take the build I made for Gloomfire and substitute the following items.

Intel 2500K CPU - $225
MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GB - $210

$760 turns into $877 and then you just need to get Windows 7.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Solo

DennisK4 said:
Happy gaming.

Lets hope Mass Effect 3 on your new PC is the perfect blend of good graphics and a return to the story and gameplay of Mass Effect.

We can only hope! And Friday is confirmed now.

mclaren777

To both Gloomfire and DoctorWho...

My build uses almost identical items to what I spec'd for you guys. The case, PSU, RAM, DVD, GPU, CPU, HDD, keyboard, mouse, etc. There are some minor variations (2600K, 8GB of RAM, etc) but otherwise they're almost the same. So when I finally power mine up today I'll be able to give you feedback on what I think of everything.

Jin34

TheKurgan said:
I have Bios flashed my 6950 up to a 6970 and have increased power to the card by 20% - as per guide. Last night I finally got around to testing a few games on Steam and I had some artifacts in an older game HOMMV, but Crysis didn't have any artifacts. Not sure if the problem is a driver issue or a GPU issue.

Is there a good utility to test out my GPU to make sure my flash and power bump is stable?

Did you use the newer flash a gaffer posted last week that leaves the memory speed at 6950 speeds? The 6970 uses higher quality memory that can go faster so you should leave it at 6950 speeds.

TheKurgan

Jin34 said:
Did you use the newer flash a gaffer posted last week that leaves the memory speed at 6950 speeds? The 6970 uses higher quality memory that can go faster so you should leave it at 6950 speeds.

Mmmmm I don't think so, I used the techpowerup method. I will have to check my memory clocks when I get home tonight. But I am pretty sure my memory is now overclocked.

Do you have a link to the new one?

Quake1028

mclaren777 said:

My build uses almost identical items to what I spec'd for you guys. The case, PSU, RAM, DVD, GPU, CPU, HDD, keyboard, mouse, etc. There are some minor variations (2600K, 8GB of RAM, etc) but otherwise they're almost the same. So when I finally power mine up today I'll be able to give you feedback on what I think of everything.

Where do you suggest I spend the $40 extra from not needing the kb and mouse? More RAM, better proc, etc?

mclaren777

Gloomfire said:
All I see is Windows 7 for students for $65 from MS. What am I missing?
"The Windows 7 Student Store has closed as of Jan 5, 2010."

It looks like you're too late for the official deal. Try going through her college.

mclaren777

Gloomfire said:
Where do you suggest I spend the $40 extra from not needing the kb and mouse? More RAM, better proc, etc?
Hmm. Jumping up to Sandy Bridge (the 2500/2500K you see people talking about) probably isn't going to impact gaming too much. You'd be better off investing in a nicer video card, but the 1GB version of the GTX 460 isn't that superior to the 768MB model. Decisions, decisions.

Perhaps a decent speaker system?

Raistlin

TheKurgan said:
Mmmmm I don't think so, I used the techpowerup method. I will have to check my memory clocks when I get home tonight. But I am pretty sure my memory is now overclocked.

Yeah, I'd go with the non-memory overclock BIOS. OC'd memory appears to be the cause of faults in the vast majority of cases. I think there's a reason why PowerColor's PCS++ does not OC the memory.

mclaren777

Gloomfire said:
I have a 2.1 speaker system which is good enough for now. How about getting 4 more gigs of RAM?
I think you would be better off getting the following CPU/MB instead...

Intel 2500 CPU - $210

It would add $52 to your bill but it would also be more future-proof in the long run. It would also help with image/video editing, should you ever mess around with such things.

Edit: if you do choose to get that combo, use this code to save on RAM: DM15A0111US

Quake1028

Gloomfire said:
OK GAF, the time is finally here. I am going to build my first ever PC. BUT, I need a lot of help (obviously). I have no idea where to start with putting a rig together, so I was hoping some kind souls would help out. Below I answered the questions from the OP. Let me know if you need anything else. Looking to order parts Friday or Monday. Super excited to finally have a GOOD PC. I know it's not going to be a beast at my price range, but I'm hoping it will be something that will last a while and then I can upgrade off of it.

Thanks!

Quote:
Basic Desktop Questions
Your Current Specs: 8 YEAR OLD DELL, NOT WORTH MENTIONING (P4 2.8, RADEON 9800 PRO, ETC.)
Budget: $700-750
Main Use: GAMING
Monitor Resolution: 1440X900 WITH A LATER MONITOR UPGRADE
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: N/A, BUT WOULD LIKE IT TO BE ABLE TO PLAY MOST/ALL GAMES CURRENTLY RELEASED SOMEWHAT WELL
Are reusing any parts?: NO
When will you build?: WILL BE ORDERING PARTS THIS WEEKEND
Will you be overclocking?: NO
Things I need: WINDOWS 7
Things I don't need: MONITOR, SPEAKERS, KEYBOARD, MOUSE

Also quoting for new page. I can go up to $850 MAX but that has to include Windows 7.

Jin34

TheKurgan said:

Nope, sorry. Still on a 4850 here lol

I'm guessing you can just downclock the memory to 6950 levels.

Quake1028

mclaren777 said:
I think you would be better off getting the following CPU/MB instead...

Intel 2500 CPU - $210

It would add $52 to your bill but it would also be more future-proof in the long run. It would also help with image/video editing, should you ever mess around with such things.

Edit: if you do choose to get that combo, use this code to save on RAM: DM15A0111US

Is all this stuff from Newegg?

Mr. Hyde

uSu5V.jpg

Is there anything I should change or add on this build? In the last one I built three years ago, I installed a tuniq tower onto my cpu and eventually overclocked my q6600 to 3GHZ. Should I get a heatsink on this one?

mclaren777

Mr. Hyde said:
Is there anything I should change or add on this build? In the last one I built three years ago, I installed a tuniq tower onto my cpu and eventually overclocked my q6600 to 3GHZ. Should I get a heatsink on this one?
Most of use have the Hyper 212+ and it's an additional $30. But it all depends on how far you plan to push your 2500K.

And if you go with a 650TX you could get 2x4GB of RAM with the savings.

Edit: here's a good deal

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What PSU for a 6950/2500K system? I tried upgrading a 460GTX to a 6950 I a prebuilt system online, and it warned me that I need an 800-850W PSU, which sounds overkill

Also, what is the difference between P67 and H67 motherboards?

mclaren777

mrklaw said:
What PSU for a 6950/2500K system? I tried upgrading a 460GTX to a 6950 I a prebuilt system online, and it warned me that I need an 800-850W PSU, which sounds overkill
The final edit of this post: you could easily pull it off with this 650W PSU from Corsair.

Data

mclaren777 said:

Sounds great. I look forward to hearing your impressions.

Quake1028

Just called the bookstore and Windows 7 is $85. If I can't get that $65 deal through my fiancee I might as well go through Amazon or Newegg for $100.

Mr. Hyde

mclaren777 said:
Most of use have the Hyper 212+ and it's an additional $30. But it all depends on how far you plan to push your 2500K.

And if you go with a 650TX you could get 2x4GB of RAM with the savings.

Edit: here's a good deal

Well, the 650TX you mentioned is only ten dollars cheaper after rebate compared to the 750 I had in mine. However, I wouldn't mind having 8 gigs of ram because I am a heavy multitasker who works in Photoshop, light room, second life and a couple other programs at once.

I will probably also pick up the Hyper 212+ to be on the safe side. I'd rather be prepared for overclocking at the beginning, even if I never do it.

CrankyJay

Banned
Currently building a new machine. Primary purpose will be work with a little gaming on the side. My boss wants to sell his Radeon 4870 for $50. Does this sound like a good deal?

Looks like places that still sell it have it retailing for $130. Seems like a good deal.

mclaren777

Gloomfire said:
Just called the bookstore and Windows 7 is $85. If I can't get that $65 deal through my fiancee I might as well go through Amazon or Newegg for $100.
If you have any friends/family in college you might want to ask them.

My former school (University of Washington) gave me an upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate for free. Granted, we're super close with Microsoft (ie, they steal tons of students from us) but I'm guessing you can find a cheaper price than $65.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Mr. Hyde said:
Well, the 650TX you mentioned is only ten dollars cheaper after rebate compared to the 750 I had in mine. However, I wouldn't mind having 8 gigs of ram because I am a heavy multitasker who works in Photoshop, light room, second life and a couple other programs at once.

I will probably also pick up the Hyper 212+ to be on the safe side. I'd rather be prepared for overclocking at the beginning, even if I never do it.
Definitely a good idea, since you'll need access to the back of the mobo with the 212+'s mounting system and it's easiest to install it when first putting the system together. Even if you're not going to OC right away, you still benefit in that it's much quieter than the stock Intel HSF.

I picked up that combo (Corsair 650TX + 8gb DDR3), and the memory upgrade from 4gb DDR2 has made my overall Photoshop/multitasking experience a lot more pleasant.

So I had a legit copy of Windows 7 installed on my iMac but formatted the bootcamp drive months ago when I decided to go all OS X. What problems will I have installing that copy of Windows 7 on a new machine?

Mudkips

Banned
DoctorWho said:
So I had a legit copy of Windows 7 installed on my iMac but formatted the bootcamp drive months ago when I decided to go all OS X. What problems will I have installing that copy of Windows 7 on a new machine?

None.

datruth29

Hey guys!

I've recently been thinking about getting a new rig, however, I'm not sure whether I should just upgrade my current one. Here's my current rig:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
RAM - A-DATA 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240 DDR2 800 SDRAM
Power Supply - Antec earthwatts EA500 500W
MoBo - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX
HDD(1) - Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 RPM
HDD(2) - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB
Video Card - POWERCOLOR PCS+ AX5770 1GBD5-PPG Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit

Is this something that is worth upgrading, or should I just build a new rig and use my old one for something else? Or should I even be upgrading at all, and just stick with what I have and wait for the awesome to come out (I haven't been keeping up with news, so I'm not sure whats out there that's really worth getting).

Thanks!

mclaren777

datruth29 said:
I've recently been thinking about getting a new rig, however, I'm not sure whether I should just upgrade my current one.
You could wait a few months and pick up a 560 once the prices drop a little.

TheKurgan said:

don't do that.

flash your 6950 with unlocked shaders, then overclock that.

safer.

mclaren777

Source

Intel is getting ready to launch two new 34nm 2.5 SSD drives based on its latest 34nm process.

Codename Emcrest will convert to Intel 510 brand that will guarantee up to 450MB read and 300MB/s write speeds. Let's not forget that these drives are SATA III 6Gb/s compatible. The specification promises up to 20K IOPs at 4KB read and 4K IOPs at 4KB write.

Intel plans to launch these drives in February and the bigger of the two is Intel 510 250GB, which is going to sell for $579 at launch. The smaller one is Intel 510 120GB 34nm drive that will debut for $279 in February.

datruth29

mclaren777 said:
You could wait a few months and pick up a 560 once the prices drop a little.
My issue is starting to be more a CPU problem then a graphics card problem. I'm starting to do more video production and streaming stuff, and for the first time my computer is actually hitting a wall in terms of how it runs. Games have been fine, I can normally get Mid-High to High settings with a steady 30fps on every game that I've played. So I guess my real question is: Should I move on to a Core i series, or just hulk it out with what I got? And if I should move on, what can something around $800-$1200 get me?

Quake1028

OK people, tear it apart. Final price is $904.xx after shipping and $15 off the RAM. Not sure if I am missing any better savings. If I can knock $35 off of W7 that puts me right at $870 an then the 2 MIR puts me at $850.

dsoiy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom