• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I told myself I would upgrade my video card prior to Crysis 2's release. Since it's coming out soon (March I believe?) I was wondering if anyone could recommend me the best bang for the buck/best improvement over my HD 4890 I can get.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
MisterAnderson said:
So I told myself I would upgrade my video card prior to Crysis 2's release. Since it's coming out soon (March I believe?) I was wondering if anyone could recommend me the best bang for the buck/best improvement over my HD 4890 I can get.
Wait for Crysis 2 to release first, then you will be able to make an informed decision based on your resolution and the benches.

CrankyJay

Banned
Explain to me why this Windows 7 system builder thing is $99 yet Windows 7 dvd-rom is $139? What's the difference?

Also, how do you get those chipset + mobo combo deals on newegg?

vocab

godhandiscen said:
Wait for Crysis 2 to release first, then you will be able to make an informed decision based on your resolution and the benches.

Pretty much. No one knows how well the game will run. Not too mention the main focus of Crysis 2 was consoles this time around. It's like rolling the dice at this point guessing which video card will be suitable for that game. Also, the longer you wait, the more you will save. So just wait till the game comes out.

jgwhiteus

CrankyJay said:
Explain to me why this Windows 7 system builder thing is $99 yet Windows 7 dvd-rom is $139? What's the difference?

Also, how do you get those chipset + mobo combo deals on newegg?

I think the $99 version is an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) version of the software - basically, doesn't come with any retail packaging, no technical support - intended for people who build (and sell) computers. Consumers can purchase these versions too, but the downside is the license is more restricted than a full version - OEM copies are tied to one computer, or one motherboard specifically. So once you install and activate, you can upgrade individual components (video card, CPU, etc.) later but you can't change the motherboard - that's considered getting a "new" computer and requires you buy another copy of Windows 7 (if the motherboard dies you can maybe buy the exact same one and call Microsoft to explain). With a full version of Windows 7, which costs more, you can install on a different system later without breaking the license, though you still might have to call Microsoft to activate.

The chipset and mobo deals on Newegg are usually specials that change by the day / week; you can see what combos are being offered when you look at individual chips / mobos - I also think they have a search function that lets you see what combo deals they're offering currently.

EDIT: this is kind of a n00b-ish question, but what's the deal with the higher gaming requirements for Vista / Windows 7 vs. Windows XP?

I've been using a Windows XP computer as my main gaming computer for a while now (Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz, 8600GT 512MB, 2GB RAM, etc. - kind of middle of the road, but it's been able to play the games I wanted, which have basically been the Sims, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc.).

I also have a separate Windows 7 computer as an HTPC (think it's a dual-core E5200 2.5GHz, fanless 1GB Nvidia card (forgot which), 4GB RAM).

I was thinking of swapping components so my Windows 7 computer would become my gaming computer - using the E8400 and 8600GT (want to keep the fanless card for the HTPC) with the 4GB RAM.

Even though the CPU will be the same, and I'll technically have more memory, will I still get the same gaming performance? I've never really gotten into why games have higher requirements on Vista / Windows 7, and I'm worried I'll take a performance hit with the same components unless I put out cash for a Core i5 (which would require a new motherboard), GTX 460, etc.

CrankyJay

Banned
jgwhiteus said:
I think the $99 version is an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) version of the software - basically, doesn't come with any retail packaging, no technical support - intended for people who build (and sell) computers. Consumers can purchase these versions too, but the downside is the license is more restricted than a full version - OEM copies are tied to one computer, or one motherboard specifically. So once you install and activate, you can upgrade individual components (video card, CPU, etc.) later but you can't change the motherboard - that's considered getting a "new" computer and requires you buy another copy of Windows 7 (if the motherboard dies you can maybe buy the exact same one and call Microsoft to explain). With a full version of Windows 7, which costs more, you can install on a different system later without breaking the license, though you still might have to call Microsoft to activate.

The chipset and mobo deals on Newegg are usually specials that change by the day / week; you can see what combos are being offered when you look at individual chips / mobos - I also think they have a search function that lets you see what combo deals they're offering currently.

Ah thank you. Seems like it would just be better to spend an extra $10 and get the Win 7 upgrade disc.

Also found this combo that I like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.587648

I'm not sure if that particular PSU is overkill but it's cheaper than the 2600k + Corsair 750TX on Amazon.

Javaman

Is it worth the price premium ($20 or so bucks) to get a 1gig 460 over the 768meg? I hadn't checked in a while but it seems the prices are dropping now that new cards are out.

Dynamic3

Your Current Specs: None. Using a 15" MBP that freezes every five minutes.

Budget: None, but I'm looking to hit the sweet spot.

Main Use: Gaming including Wii emu, on the fly transcoding of huge 1080p movies to my PS3.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080.

List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: SC2

Are reusing any parts?: No.

When will you build?: Mid-March, but I can certainly wait if need be.

Will you be overclocking?: Yes.

Notes: I want an SSD for the OS, apps, and a favorite game or two. Would like two large traditional HDDs in a mirrored RAID config for everything else. I want an Nvidia card. I need a monitor, so I could use some recommendations for that as well (have been looking at the Alienware 21.5").

Thank you sirs.

Question: How big of a difference will I see going from one Radeon 5770 and adding another for crossfire? My cpu has plenty of power so there will be not bottlenecking.

2San

jgwhiteus said:
I'm pretty sure you can just install the OEM edition on a new pc with no problems at all. Not sure with windows 7, but I've done this with the XP version all the time though.

mclaren777

It's go time, gentlemen!

PXlI8.jpg

See you on the flip side...

Veal

A question on GPU overclocking: Is it generally recommended to overclock using the standard cooling or do I need to buy some after market cooler? Can you overclock with the standard cooling?

jgwhiteus

2San said:
I'm pretty sure you can just install the OEM edition on a new pc with no problems at all. Not sure with windows 7, but I've done this with the XP version all the time though.

Hmm, I heard you could maybe install on new motherboards if you had a nice support person, but it was a case-by-case thing. The general policy for XP OEM licenses (and I assume for Windows in general) is you can upgrade everything except the motherboard, except in cases where the motherboard is damaged and you replace it with the same model:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125

Microsoft Support said:
Users who run a Microsoft Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) operating system may upgrade or replace most of the hardware components on the computer and still maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software provided by the OEM, with the exception of an upgrade or a replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade or a replacement of the motherboard is considered to create a new personal computer. Therefore, Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect then a new computer is created, and a new operating system license is required. If the motherboard is replaced because of a defect, the user does not need to acquire a new operating system license for the computer. The motherboard replacement must be the same make and model, or the same manufacturer’s replacement or equivalent, as defined by that manufacturer’s warranty. The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the end-user license agreement (EULA) and the support of the software covered by that EULA. The EULA is a set of usage rights granted to the end-user by the computer manufacturer. The EULA relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular computer. The System Builder is required to support the software on that individual computer.

Understanding that end-users, over time, upgrade their computers with different components, Microsoft views the CPU as the one remaining base component that still defines that original computer. Because the motherboard contains the CPU, when the motherboard is replaced for reasons other than defect, a new computer is essentially created. Therefore, the original OEM cannot be expected to support this new computer that they did not manufacture.

EDIT: Huh, Googling doesn't clarify the issue, and it seems even some Microsoft employees don't have a clear answer on this one. At least for XP, it seems you could get away with re-installing on new motherboards without an issue at least 3 separate times before having to phone in - guess that was because of the technical limitations of the activation method, no matter what the license said. But from a licensing standpoint, if you purchase an OEM version and bulid your own computer, you could be considered a "system builder" and have the right to determine the terms of your own "warranty" and upgrade your own equipment. Some people claim the activation method and the licensing rules changed with Vista, and thus with 7, so that it's a bit more difficult if you change motherboards.

In any event, that's the reason for the price differential - OEM vs. full version - and you may or may not have an issue with it later down the line if you change motherboards.

Snuggler said:
let me rephrase this:

Is there any downside to buying theMicrosoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit System Builder for $100 aside from losing my license if I change my motherboard? I can't resist almost a hundo savings.

Not that I can see. It's the same thing as the full version, fully functional, just without retail packaging and without the right to technical support or something (because the equipment manufacturer is supposed to give support, which in this case would be you).

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
2San said:
Adding to this - I just transferred my OEM install of W7 Ultimate from an old PC to my current build (new motherboard and all) and it activated via online just fine. Some of my friends have transferred their OEM installs of W7 as well, but they usually had to go through phone activation. So long as they answered the question "how many computers will this be installed on?" with "one," they've invariably been able to get their copy activated.

mclaren777 said:
It's go time, gentlemen!
Good luck, sir! Looking forward to pics of the finished thing.

mbmonk

Well got my HD 6850 install and now I can play Battlefield BC2 maxed at 1080p. I was blown away. I had no idea the game could look that good. I had a friend over and we both were just in awe. He played it on the PS3; and he was very impressed.

It's a shame that the dev's put in all this work into the game and only a very small percentage get to see it at it's very best.

Bravo Dice!

Veal said:
A question on GPU overclocking: Is it generally recommended to overclock using the standard cooling or do I need to buy some after market cooler? Can you overclock with the standard cooling?
Won't hurt to try and see what you can get.

Erebus

Veal said:
If you stay away from voltage tweaking, you'll be fine with the standard cooling in most cases.

What is your graphics card?

vocab

mbmonk said:
Well got my HD 6850 install and now I can play Battlefield BC2 maxed at 1080p. I was blown away. I had no idea the game could look that good. I had a friend over and we both were just in awe. He played it on the PS3; and he was very impressed.

It's a shame that the dev's put in all this work into the game and only a very small percentage get to see it at it's very best.

Bravo Dice!

The texture pop is the worst part about the graphics. Same with Blackops.

Veal

DarkUSS said:
If you stay away from voltage tweaking, you'll be fine with the standard cooling in most cases.

What is your graphics card?
Radeon 6870. I really like the card's performance, so my inquiry is pretty much curiosity. And trying not to drop more money for no reason. I'm new.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What do you guys think of ibuypower.com?

I've assembled a similar rig on there, and it looks like I can have a complete PC sent to me for around the same price of my parts on NewEgg plus installation at a local place. So this seems like a good deal, but I haven't heard a lot about the site and I hoping they aren't putting a large mark up on these items.

Snuggler said:
What do you guys think of ibuypower.com?

I've assembled a similar rig on there, and it looks like I can have a complete PC sent to me for around the same price of my parts on NewEgg plus installation at a local place. So this seems like a good deal, but I haven't heard a lot about the site and I hoping they aren't putting a large mark up on these items.

I just went through and built my configuration there, and they are actually not terribly marked up. It's only a little more than what I paid for my setup.

Twig

Banned
Is it possible to use my old 8800GTS for PhysX and a 6850 for graphics, even though they're different brands?

I don't think my motherboard supports having two video cards at the same time, anyway, so it's not really something I plan to do, but I am curious.

I think I've decided I'm going to get the 6850, since the 560 is $250. I wasn't looking to go above $225 (have to cut it off somewhere!) and I don't want to wait for a price drop... unless you EXPERTS think prices will drop soon?

Fredescu

Twig said:
Is it possible to use my old 8800GTS for PhysX and a 6850 for graphics, even though they're different brands?
Technically yes, although there is a bit of fiddling involved.

Twig said:
I think I've decided I'm going to get the 6850, since the 560 is $250. I wasn't looking to go above $225 (have to cut it off somewhere!) and I don't want to wait for a price drop... unless you EXPERTS think prices will drop soon?
Do you mean a 6870? Prices always move around, but there are no new products coming soon. Pull the trigger imo!

Twig

Banned
Fredescu said:
Technically yes, although there is a bit of fiddling involved.
Aha. Interesting.
Do you mean a 6870? Prices always move around, but there are no new products coming soon. Pull the trigger imo!
Yeah, I meant 6870! Oops. All these numbers confuse the shit out of me. U:

I'll be pulling said trigger within the next couple days. :D

Any idea how much better performance will be for me compared to that chart derder made, since my resolution is 1680x1050?

mbmonk

vocab said:
The texture pop is the worst part about the graphics. Same with Blackops.

Luckily texture pop isn't overly bothersome to me. I do notice it though.

I haven't played more the 5 minutes of Black Ops SP. But that is next on the list after BC2. I have played MP a lot, but I still have some 'hitching' even with this card. But the game looks very crisp and clean at 1080p.

Fredescu

Twig said:
Any idea how much better performance will be for me compared to that chart derder made, since my resolution is 1680x1050?
It will vary from game to game. With your Q6600 running at stock, it will be the bottleneck on a handful of games. If you want, you can check yourself. Run a benchmark or whatever of your game at native rez, obviously with vsync and d3doverrider etc turned off, and then run it again at a lower rez. If you get a better framerate at lower rez, that usually means your videocard is the bottleneck. If it stays the same, the CPU is. I would say at the moment, your videocard is the bottleneck for most things. That will probably change with your new card, and more games will be bottlenecked by the CPU. That might be enough to give you the motivation to overclock ;)

Twig

Banned
Fredescu said:
It will vary from game to game. With your Q6600 running at stock, it will be the bottleneck on a handful of games. If you want, you can check yourself. Run a benchmark or whatever of your game at native rez, obviously with vsync and d3doverrider etc turned off, and then run it again at a lower rez. If you get a better framerate at lower rez, that usually means your videocard is the bottleneck. If it stays the same, the CPU is. I would say at the moment, your videocard is the bottleneck for most things. That will probably change with your new card, and more games will be bottlenecked by the CPU. That might be enough to give you the motivation to overclock ;)
Hah, okay. I think I plan to also toss that cooler into the mix when I order the video card. And more RAM, which is the main reason I don't want to go up to $250+ on the video card.

Um, do I ever need to reapply that thermal paste, or whatever it is, to the CPU? I think I've read something about that in passing (not in this thread), but never looked into it because, AFAIK, it's never been a problem.

Fredescu

Twig said:
Um, do I ever need to reapply that thermal paste, or whatever it is, to the CPU? I think I've read something about that in passing (not in this thread), but never looked into it because, AFAIK, it's never been a problem.
Only if you're changing coolers. If you've got the stock Intel cooler, all the paste was originally attached to the cooler which by now it has melted into goop, which is fine until you remove it. If it leaves stuff behind on the CPU, you should clean that off as best you can before putting the new one on. Applying thermal paste: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...ask=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5 . I've linked directly to the direct heat pipe instructions because chances are that's what you'll get, but read the whole thing if you're bored.

Ecrofirt

Questions / Help Needed:

I really want to get this bundle from NewEgg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.584315

I'm going to be using the computer as a home file server, so I know I don't need a video card.

Is that missing any major components? It looks like it's got all the main parts.

Also:
The motherboard specifications DO NOT list USB 3.0. However, if you look at the pictures of the motherboard, it's clearly got "NEC USB 3.0" printed directly onto the circuit board. WTF. Any idea as to why the board would say that?

Fredescu

Ecrofirt said:
Is that missing any major components? It looks like it's got all the main parts.
Looks fine.

Ecrofirt said:
The motherboard specifications DO NOT list USB 3.0. However, if you look at the pictures of the motherboard, it's clearly got "NEC USB 3.0" printed directly onto the circuit board. WTF. Any idea as to why the board would say that?
It's possible that there are multiple boards based on this design, and that particular model has the headers and/or ports removed but not the writing. Or they've used a photo from another board for that shot, forgetting the difference. USB 3.0 ports are usually blue, and there don't appear to be any on the board. You could download the manual and see if perhaps there are active USB 3.0 headers on the board that allow you to plug ports in. If you can't find any reference to that I'd say that it doesn't have USB 3.0, despite the writing in the picture. You might get lucky but I wouldn't count on it.

Twig

Banned
Fredescu said:
Only if you're changing coolers. If you've got the stock Intel cooler, all the paste was originally attached to the cooler which by now it has melted into goop, which is fine until you remove it. If it leaves stuff behind on the CPU, you should clean that off as best you can before putting the new one on. Applying thermal paste: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...ask=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5 . I've linked directly to the direct heat pipe instructions because chances are that's what you'll get, but read the whole thing if you're bored.
Okay, cool! Thanks for all the advice/help.

Someone recommend a couple brands of memory they really like and trust over at newegg. I want to grab my RAM now, while they have the sale, but I don't really have any loyalty or working knowledge with memory manufacturers. I'm gonna be getting 4GB (2x2), so the $40 price point is where I want to be.

Jin34

keeblerdrow said:
Someone recommend a couple brands of memory they really like and trust over at newegg. I want to grab my RAM now, while they have the sale, but I don't really have any loyalty or working knowledge with memory manufacturers. I'm gonna be getting 4GB (2x2), so the $40 price point is where I want to be.

G.Skill Ripjaws.

Zzoram

Twig said:
Aha. Interesting.

Yeah, I meant 6870! Oops. All these numbers confuse the shit out of me. U:

I'll be pulling said trigger within the next couple days. :D

What chart?

Quake1028

Gloomfire said:
OK people, tear it apart. Final price is $904.xx after shipping and $15 off the RAM. Not sure if I am missing any better savings. If I can knock $35 off of W7 that puts me right at $870 an then the 2 MIR puts me at $850.

dsoiy.jpg

Got stuck at the bottom of the last page, so any more opinions before I buy this sucker?

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I stupidly got a 32 bit Win 7 student upgrade from my school a couple of years ago. Since it explicity says 32 bit on the disc, I assume there's no way I can get 64 bit without buying another disc?

Quake1028

keeblerdrow said:
Why do you need the $80 RAM instead of the $40 RAM you see all over for 4GBs?

Nabs said:
do this.

could use the money saved to upgrade the 460

I have no interest in overclocking. What does the 2500k offer me?

Also, would I be better off dropping to only 4 gigs of RAM from 8 and going up to a 1GB on the graphics card?

Jin34

Gloomfire said:
I have no interest in overclocking. What does the 2500k offer me?

Also, would I be better off dropping to only 4 gigs of RAM from 8 and going up to a 1GB on the graphics card?

A better IGP, but seriously you can so easily do a mild and 100% safe overclock that its worth it. As for the ram yes x1000; the 8GB won't do anything for you but the better vid card will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom