• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
NorrenRadd said:
Gaf -

I have a laptop that I would like to connect two external monitors to. Laptop has HDMI out and VGA out.

Currently it is not letting me extend across 3 monitors.

The laptop has intel i3 integrated graphics.

Is this possible? How?

More than likely it won't let you do it. It's probably also running on an integrated graphics processor. We would need more information on your system to be sure.

keeblerdrow said:
More than likely it won't let you do it. It's probably also running on an integrated graphics processor. We would need more information on your system to be sure.

What information would you want?

Also, could I get a 3rd monitor working if I buy one of those USB to VGA devices? Essentially running the laptop screen + 1 monitor from the video card, then +1 monitor via the usb adapter.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
I guess i can post it here: it's a promo code Saphire gifted me. I already have the game on Steam, so i can not use the promo.

You selected Buy Battlefield: Bad Company™ 2 and get Battlefield: Vietnam FREE! from SAPPHIRE Select Club’s Free Promotions page.

Your promo code is: XAGG2XVY

Follow these steps to redeem your code:
1. Go to www.eastore.ea.com/Sapphireoffer
2. Select your country flag*
3. Battlefield: Bad Company™ 2 Digital Deluxe Edition, which includes Battlefield: Bad Company™ 2 Vietnam, will automatically be added to your basket.
4. Enter your code in the promo code box and click “APPLY” to claim your 33% discount (equal to the value of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam)
5. Proceed through the checkout to complete your purchase
6. If you don’t see your country flag, simply click on any of the flags to be redirected to the EA Store. Find Battlefield: Bad Company™ 2 Digital Deluxe Edition, and add it to your basket where you can enter your coupon code to claim your discount.

Asus Laptop

Intel Core i3 M 350 @2.27 GHz 2.27 GHz
Windows 7 64-bit
4 GB of RAM
Driver Version 8.15.10.2202
Shares video memory with RAM

Processor Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2

Video BIOS: 1930.0

My 1st Monitor is the laptop monitor at 1600x900
My 2nd Monitor is a 1920x1200
My 3rd monitor is 1280x1024

I wont be gaming on anything but the primary monitor.

Yuripaw

Banned
So, I admit to not really reading any of the other posts in this thread besides the first one. Sorry, I just can't read over 90 pages of thread lol

Anyway, I'm thinking about building a PC in the next couple months, and a couple things that I didn't see in the OP that I could use some help with, is new speakers, and a nice keyboard/mouse combo.

The speakers I got just look like garbage, but I keep using them because they got good bass without the need of a sub-woofer. I've actually bought multiple sets of speakers in the past couple years also, but they always end up sounding like ass, because they have no bass, and sound like it's coming out of a tin can. I'm not really looking for an elaborate set up, just something with good audio and a decent price, and was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.

The next thing, a keyboard and mouse combo...I just wanna make sure I spend my money on something decent here as well. I'd like a good keyboard and mouse for gaming, and I especially need a mouse with a good optical piece, because I've gotten ones that are obviously cheaply made. With my current mouse, it sometimes doesn't even want to work, or it'll just freak out, and when I'm playing FPS, all of a sudden my guy will instantly look towards the ceiling. I'm not gonna be so concerned with price here, because I want something good here. I am tired of having a janky mouse. As far as keyboard, I just would like something comfortable.

vocab

Yuripaw said:
The next thing, a keyboard and mouse combo...I just wanna make sure I spend my money on something decent here as well. I'd like a good keyboard and mouse for gaming, and I especially need a mouse with a good optical piece, because I've gotten ones that are obviously cheaply made. With my current mouse, it sometimes doesn't even want to work, or it'll just freak out, and when I'm playing FPS, all of a sudden my guy will instantly look towards the ceiling. I'm not gonna be so concerned with price here, because I want something good here. I am tired of having a janky mouse. As far as keyboard, I just would like something comfortable.

Keyboards are personal preference. Just look around, and see what you like. Your mouse is faulty, and that's why it flips out. It happens. Any logitech or Razer mouse would do. It comes down do how comfortable it feels in your hand. Go down to Bestbuy and check out some mice in person if you can.

On second thought, forget the fancy option. I need a) an AMD motherboard under $100 with AMD graphics or b) a cheap GPU that won't be worthless once I upgrade. I'm not a fan of spending $40 on a GPU that will last for 2 months.

vocab said:
Keyboards are personal preference. Just look around, and see what you like. Your mouse is faulty, and that's why it flips out. It happens. Any logitech or Razer mouse would do. It comes down do how comfortable it feels in your hand. Go down to Bestbuy and check out some mice in person if you can.

*but don't buy it there

TheExodu5

Banned
I have yet to find a pair of PC speakers that doesn't sound like shit.

The only decently priced and decent sounding speakers I've ever ones was an old pair of Harmon Kardons with double 2" drivers and a 5" sub. I have no idea why they were good...but they were.

I've tried Axioms, Bose (lol), Creative, Logitech, and Altec Lansing sets over the last few years. Everything sounded like shit...save the Axioms which weren't bad, but certainly weren't worth $500.

TheExodu5 said:

The only decently priced and decent sounding speakers I've ever ones was an old pair of Harmon Kardons with double 2" drivers and a 5" sub. I have no idea why they were good...but they were.

I've tried Axioms, Bose (lol), Creative, Logitech, and Altec Lansing sets over the last few years. Everything sounded like shit...save the Axioms which weren't bad, but certainly weren't worth $500.

I am so very very very very glad I am not an audiophile because of dealing with shit like this. I'd go nuts.

TheExodu5

Banned
keeblerdrow said:
I am so very very very very glad I am not an audiophile because of dealing with shit like this. I'd go nuts.

I'm not even really an audiophile. I just hate when 95% of cheap speaker systems out there have silly flaws like human vocals coming out of the subwoofer (I'm looking at you, Bose). Shit just sounds awful.

secureneweggcomscreencapture2011-1-28-23-13-12.png

Good? I know the GPU is weak (still better than what I'm using), it'll be replaced in April or May.

Kalnos

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I'm not even really an audiophile. I just hate when 95% of cheap speaker systems out there have silly flaws like human vocals coming out of the subwoofer (I'm looking at you, Bose). Shit just sounds awful.

You could try those new Corsair SP2500 speakers, since Corsair seems to be interested into moving out into audio now.

coopolon

Blast Processing said:
So I have a 4850 512 mb card, and I'm looking for a good upgrade for $250 or less. What would be the the most bang for the buck? My monitor's native resolution is 2048x1152.

I'm impartial to AMD/Nvidia, I just want to get the smoothest framerates possible with upcoming games like Crysis 2, Shogun 2, Battlefield 3, Witcher 2, etc.

Any idea whether or not I might need a new power supply going from my 4850 to a newer card? I'm not sure what mine is rated, but I'd hazard a guess it's 350w max? Core i7 920, 6 GB RAM, for what it's worth.

If you really cannot go over $250, you are looking at either a 560 for $250 from nvidia or 6870 for $220 from AMD. If you are not really trying to save money, the 560 is probably the best choice. If you are willing to spend $10 more, or bargain hunt a bit, then it gets more interesting because you can throw in a 6950 1GB for $259. 560 is still probably a slightly better card, but the 6950 does outperform it in some games. And you have to decide if you care about physx/nvidia 3d vs eyefinity/whateer amd is doing with 3d, etc.

PErsonally I'd go 560 if you want to spend $250. If you really don't want to spend $250 and would prefer closer to $200, I'd hunt down a 5870, they were going for $200 last week. I think anything less than $230 is a good deal.

6870, 5870, 560, and 6950 would all provide substantial improvements over your 4850, especially when paired with such a powerful CPU. I recently decided to upgrade from a 4850 and at first went with 6850. It's a great card, but wasn't worth the upgrade in my opinion, and I don't think a 6870 would be either. If you're going to drop $200, might as well get a big boost and go at least for the 5870/6950/560.

I don't know about your PSU though. 350 is pretty low...I'll let someone else answer that.

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't know. I thought I might try to renew my faith in gaming audio gear tonight with Steelseries Siberia V2, and they're god awful.

vocab

TheExodu5 said:
I don't know. I thought I might try to renew my faith in gaming audio gear tonight with Steelseries Siberia V2, and they're god awful.

What's so bad about them? PC155's finally gave out after 6 years. I should be buying me 555's next.

TheExodu5 said:

This is the set Im currently rocking, and they are pretty damn impressive. 5.1, 75 Watts, man they sure make games sound amazing in surround. Pretty sure they discontinued them, but walmart seems to always have them in stock, and are 74.99 so hopefully a nearby walmart near you may have em
Logitech X-530
logitech_x530.jpg

Yuripaw

Banned
Mr Nightman said:
This is the set Im currently rocking, and they are pretty damn impressive. 5.1, 75 Watts, man they sure make games sound amazing in surround. Pretty sure they discontinued them, but walmart seems to always have them in stock, and are 74.99 so hopefully a nearby walmart near you may have em
Logitech X-530

I've actually looked at these a lot, but I just don't see a 5.1 setup working for me. 2.1 or 3.1 maybe, but I have no place to put the left and right rear speakers. I suppose in that situation, I could just not use the rear speakers...

LegoDad

TheExodu5 said:

Have you tried the Logitech z313 's??

On another note for everyone getting SSD's, when setting up SSD's with windows 7, make sure you have it set to ACHI mode in BIOS, etc. before installing windows 7...

mclaren777

(this will be my last attempt)

I know that some of you got a free copy of Civ5 for buying a CPU bundle from Newegg.

Would anyone be willing to trade that code for both Just Cause 2 and Mafia II?

880EN.jpg

What kind of Crysis benchmarks would I be looking at with an i7950 and a gtx570? Obviously something good, but I want to know what I'm getting at very high/ enthusiast settings on dx10 at 1920x1200, and 4-8xaa.

vocab

mclaren777 said:
(this will be my last attempt)

I know that some of you got a free copy of Civ5 for buying a CPU bundle from Newegg.

Would anyone be willing to trade that code for both Just Cause 2 and Mafia II?

If no one bites, I might buy the Mafia 2 key off you if you are really want to get rid of it. I missed it during the last steam sale.

TheExodu5 said:

why not go the halfway route and buy a good home theater in a box?

Well, I flashed my old BIOS back on and it's working fine now. It was working fine when I had it before, these past two days have been when it started. I guess I can't flash it anymore. :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've been recommended a silverstone SC17 as a case - thoughts? I want something that'll sit next to my TV and I can put my STB and DVD player on. Just want to check it'll have enough space to put a 6950 in and not have issues with cooling etc.

Also, some advice about the peripheral stuff - mouse, keyboard etc.

Can I use my Mac bluetooth keyboard on W7? Although I'm guessing I'd need a bluetooth dongle which means it'd probably be cheaper to buy a cheap wired keyboard..

And for sound, I'm thinking of using the sound through my TV via HDMI, but also using headphones. Is there a 'best' way to arrange this? I think my TV will only accept stereo over HDMI - I've had issues feeding it 5.1 from the PS3 where the sound mix is screwed because the centre speaker doesn't come through. So can you set it up to do stereo over HDMI and then connect headphones to the PC case and auto mute the TV output? Or just run the headphones from the TV?

And can you get dolby headphone or similar from the PC, or would I need some kind of post-processor headphone amp thingy?

mrklaw said:
Can I use my Mac bluetooth keyboard on W7? Although I'm guessing I'd need a bluetooth dongle which means it'd probably be cheaper to buy a cheap wired keyboard..
A bluetooth adapter can be had for like 3 bucks on amazon, I got one on there and use it with a dell blue tooth keyboard, and works flawlessly

I need an opinion on what asymmetric SLI is like. I've seen SLI with 2 identical cards in action, but never with 2 different cards. Right now I have a single GTX 470. I'm thinking of adding a second card for SLI. That card can be another GTX 470, thus giving me 2 matching cards. Or I could add a GTX 570 instead, creating a situation where 2 different cards are in SLI. The most important thing apparently is to match memory sizes, otherwise the card with the larger memory size wastes the larger portion of it's memory, which is why I can choose from a 470 or a 570.

Should I get another 470, or a 570 to pair with my existing 470?

2San

TheExodu5 said:
I have the Hercules XPS 2.0 60. I know it's not surround, but they're cheap and have a good clear sound.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
TheExodu5 said:

I am fully aware that you'll probably come back with saying "I tried these and they were shit" but my Logitech Z4 2.1 set has served me very well since I bought them.

Bass response from the sub is remarkably good for a ~£60 set (Although I paid £40 for them), and clarity of the sound is really decent too, even when tested in instrument heavy music like Nightwish. Sure, they're not audiophile level equipment, nor of course are they trying to be, but for gaming centric, budget speakers they are pretty damn awesome.

vocab

Unknown Soldier said:
I need an opinion on what asymmetric SLI is like. I've seen SLI with 2 identical cards in action, but never with 2 different cards. Right now I have a single GTX 470. I'm thinking of adding a second card for SLI. That card can be another GTX 470, thus giving me 2 matching cards. Or I could add a GTX 570 instead, creating a situation where 2 different cards are in SLI. The most important thing apparently is to match memory sizes, otherwise the card with the larger memory size wastes the larger portion of it's memory, which is why I can choose from a 470 or a 570.

Should I get another 470, or a 570 to pair with my existing 470?

It doesn't work like that. You need two or more identical cards. When the tech came out it was recommended to stick with the same brand, but you can now use any brand you want as long as the specs are the same. I think if you get a slightly higer clocked 470 it down clocks to the lowest value of the other card.

Honestly, two 470's is gonna be great for performance, but the heat, and power consumption is off the charts. Make sure you got the power to even run them.

Dynamic3

So

5398281344_d081190865_b.jpg

EVGA GTX 560 | 249.99 (EVGA)

i5-2500K | 179.99 + tx (Microcenter)

Alienware AW2210 | 299.99 + tx (Dell)

So far the total + tax - rebates = 1261.61.

Thoughts? I know nothing about PSUs and CPU fans which I need.

vocab

Dynamic3 said:
So

Good build from the looks of it. Get a corsair 750 or 800. Get a modular if you can afford it. You will grow to hate the amount of usless cables.

If you plan on OC heavily get a noctua or the corsair h50. Want light OC, get the recommended 212.

Also, my last recommendation is get a full size case. I keep thinking mid is the way to go, but after the last two builds I just wish I would of went with full.

Wrekt

I built a machine for my friend last night. He wanted to grab everything from a local microcenter and they were out of the cooler we wanted so he's just going stock for now. I'm not the best at cable management but I think it turned out ok. Sorry for the shitty cell pics.

i5 2500k
Asus p8p67
Gigabyte Geforce 560 GTX
4 gb ddr3 1333 ram
1 tb WD caviar black
650w corsair psu
Corsair graphite 600t case
lg dvd burner

Parts.jpg

Finish.jpg

Yes, his lazy ass still has not taken down the Christmas tree.

TheExodu5

Banned
Dynamic3 said:
So

Uh...why would you pay $300 for a 21.5" TN panel?

TheExodu5

Banned
vocab said:
If it was the 120hz lagless monitor, I would buy it. There are cheaper options for minmum lag monitors though..

It's 60Hz.

You can get a 24" Asus (though no adjustable stand) with no input lag for $200.

$300 for a 21.5" just seems insane...they regularly go for around $130-150.

2San

Mr. Hyde said:
Is the 212+ cooler enough to take the i5-2500k to 4.4-4.5ghz or should I go with the expensive noctua?
It's enough. Considering I clocked it myself to 4.5ghz and I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff(I did do stress a test with Prime95 for 80 minutes).

itxaka

Defeatist
So any news on the C400?

which sites do you guys check for PC news related to hardware and software? I used to go to tom's hardware years ago but now looks like too much cluttered.

TheExodu5

Banned
itxaka said:
So any news on the C400?

which sites do you guys check for PC news related to hardware and software? I used to go to tom's hardware years ago but now looks like too much cluttered.

News...Anandtech and forums usually (GAF, Hardforum).

I'm getting anxious for the C400. I really can't play any streaming game on a regular HDD anymore...can't stand the stutters. Also can't stand the noise.

CrankyJay

Banned
Engadget's article on the c400 claims it will go into mass production in February. This isn't new news...but it could still be weeks away from release.

I may cave in and just buy an existing SSD as I want to finish my build sooner than later.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Mr. Hyde said:
Is the 212+ cooler enough to take the i5-2500k to 4.4-4.5ghz or should I go with the expensive noctua?
I clocked my 2500k to 4.5GHz to see what kinds of temps I'd get with the 212+, and it idled in the mid 30s, load in mid 60s. And this is in a smaller midtower with only 2 fans.

Leaving it at 4.3 for everyday use though.

Mr. Hyde

ExMachina said:
I clocked my 2500k to 4.5GHz to see what kinds of temps I'd get with the 212+, and it idled in the mid 30s, load in mid 60s. And this is in a smaller midtower with only 2 fans.

Leaving it at 4.3 for everyday use though.

4.3 sounds good enough to me. I doubt I'd try for 4.5 unless .2 ghz made a big difference in how Dolphin ran, if I even bother ripping my games and trying it again on the new pc.

I will be using it in a HAF 912 case.

Dynamic3

vocab said:
Good build from the looks of it. Get a corsair 750 or 800. Get a modular if you can afford it. You will grow to hate the amount of usless cables.

If you plan on OC heavily get a noctua or the corsair h50. Want light OC, get the recommended 212.

Also, my last recommendation is get a full size case. I keep thinking mid is the way to go, but after the last two builds I just wish I would of went with full.

Could you link me to a compatible one please (are they really $90)? Also, do I need to grab some thermal compound? I have no idea what it does but I keep seeing it.

TheExodu5 said:
Uh...why would you pay $300 for a 21.5" TN panel?

I'm highly uneducated when it comes to monitors so please give me some recommendations.

My reasoning behind choosing that monitor was that it was 2ms, 21.5" and 1920x1080 (I want this density), and most importantly had a no dead pixel guarantee.

Edit: Is 60gb enough for W7, 2-3 games, and office? I have about 5.5tb of storage for music and movies, but if 60gb isn't enough for my day-day apps I guess I could spring for the 120gb.

vocab

Dynamic3 said:
most importantly had a no dead pixel guarantee.

It depends where you buy it from. NCIX I think has a dead pixel policy that lets you return it even with one pixel dead. Newegg is super picky, and amazon will probably let you return anything because they want you to be happy.

vocab

Dynamic3 said:
Could you link me to a compatible one please (are they really $90)? Also, do I need to grab some thermal compound? I have no idea what it does but I keep seeing it.

if it works with 1156 it works with 1155. Like I said it depends if you want a heavy OC build. I think $90 is kind of pricey, and that's why I didn't buy a Noctua.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom