• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

LiquidMamba said:
Is it fine just to go with an ASUS EZ Mode overclock? I'm not sure if I wan't to go in and mess with the settings myself.
It's fine if you want a one click overclockig solution, but it tends to be conservative. It'll give you a lower overclock and/or put the overvolt the CPU.

It's way better to do it manually in bios under advanced mode. Easiest is to set the CPU multiplier to what you want, play around with voltage offset option (add or subtract), leave everything else on auto, boot into Windows and stress test with Prime95 for 10-15 min. If it fails Prime95, add 0.010 voltage and retest. If it passes, try subtracting voltage and test. After awhile, you will get general idea what the voltage should be. Then, it's time to stress test for few hours. If that passes, you got a very stable speed and you can repeat with some other speed. And, personally, I would try to stay under 1.35V and 75C for 24/7 overclock speed.

CrankyJay

Banned
My build (primarly for work, some non-serious gaming) so far:

------

2 x 23" ASUS VH236H Monitors
Corsair 600T Case
Corsair 750TX PSU
8GB (2 x 4) 1600 GSkill Ripjaw RAM
LG 22X DVDRW

Still need (not factoring in any rebates if they exist):
i5 2500k - $230 (looks like it went up $5 this week)
Mobo (haven't decided yet) $130-$200
Thinking of buying my boss's Radeon 4870 for $50 (not huge into PC gaming yet, thought I would try this out first)
SSD of some sort - $100-$250 (depending on what I get)
1TB Samsung Spinpoint $60
Win7 (either $110 or going to ask my neighbor who is in college to get me Win7 Ultimate for $13)

Total: $1185.96 - $1502.96

I also have $120 in Amazon GC to play with so I guess it's a little less.

TheKurgan

For those of you with a 6950 looking to flash the bios - follow the link Jin34 posted a few pages back. This method is far superior to the straight 6970 bios flash and power boost posted at Techpowerup. All the problems I was having with stability in HOMMV have disappeared with this new flash and performance is still rock solid.

Jin34 said:

Thanks again Jin34!

kpeezy

Banned
Just in case I wasn't clear earlier, I'm looking for something just like the Happy Hacking Professional 2 but with the control key in the more standard position.

Thanks.

mclaren777

The Big Rig said:
Ok, I just ordered an SSD, mainly for the operating system and for maybe a game or two.

Maybe I'm just an idiot, but if anyone has advice, its more than welcome.
Before installing W7 on your new SSD, make sure to disconnect all other HDDs.

mclaren777

comrade said:
I have a ASUS P8P67 PRO motherboard and am currently having a problem. Sound is only working out of the left speaker. Could it be a motherboard issue?
Possibly. What happens if you plug the speakers into the front port that's typically used for headphones?

mclaren777

CrankyJay said:
I have a basic ASUS P8P67 and it's been really solid for me (stock firmware, stock speeds).

I also have a Samsung 470 Series SSD that's been a joy to use.

And I also have a 1TB Spinpoint F3. My recommendation: don't buy that from Amazon because they won't package it well.

cXEow.png

rabhw

Would an HX650 be enough to power two 6950's in crossfire?

I'm reading two completely different sides, some people are saying it's plenty, and some people are saying it's "borderline".

n0n44m

rabhw said:
Would an HX650 be enough to power two 6950's in crossfire?

I'm reading two completely different sides, some people are saying it's plenty, and some people are saying it's "borderline".

I have the same PSU ... http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/power_supply/corsair_hx650w_650w_atx_psu/4

I've heard about people (shortly) running 470 SLI on it, so it'll definitely do 6950 in crossfire

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/312?vs=299

but to decide if it's safe for long-term usage, I'd check power usage with a power monitor ... it is apparently rated for 650w at 50celcius by Corsair, but I wouldn't go past that in the long term. Overclocking/unlocking to 6970 also increase the power usage quite a bit...

CrankyJay

Banned
mclaren777 said:
I have a basic ASUS P8P67 and it's been really solid for me (stock firmware, stock speeds).

I also have a Samsung 470 Series SSD that's been a joy to use.

And I also have a 1TB Spinpoint F3. My recommendation: don't buy that from Amazon because they won't package it well.

cXEow.png

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check into that stuff.

Emitan

Dreams-Visions said:
true, but the 6950 will provide 1GB more ram and only costs $10 more (down to $260 now!). should be a big deal going forward.
Is the 6950 really worth it over the 560? Nvidia seems to get along better with Linux which is a big deal to me. My graphics performance on my desktop with a 5770 is lower than my Macbook's 9600M.

Kenka

I a have a very simple question :

I am tempted to buy components from the UK given the low pound but I am not sure if the voltage will be the same with my home country and thus, if I will fry anything when I'll turn the complete build on.

What other problems may occur when you import stuff from abroad ? Thanks much in advance.

n0n44m

Kenka said:
I a have a very simple question :

I am tempted to buy components from the UK given the low pound but I am not sure if the voltage will be the same with my home country and thus, if I will fry anything when I'll turn the complete build on.

What other problems may occur when you import stuff from abroad ? Thanks much in advance.

voltage difference only applies to power supplies, and all (half decent) power supplies these days are auto switching between 100 and 240v

so no issues whatsoever

Kenka

n0n44m said:
voltage difference only applies to power supplies, and all (half decent) power supplies these days are auto switching between 100 and 240v

so no issues whatsoever

That is just awesome, exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to hear. So time to sell the old thing and get ready for Skyrim and The Witcher 2.

Shambles

sh4mike

I finished my build and Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium is up and running. What's the simplest way to determine if I hooked my components up correctly and they are performing at an acceptable level? I'd hate to only be using half my RAM or processor speed, for example.

Running a typical i5-2500K, Asus P8P67 Pro, GTX 570, 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM (2x4GB), Noctua NH-D14, and two F3 1TB HDDs within an FT02B-W.

So I tried adding a 4870 1 Gb to the one I already had, didn't work out that well. Stuttering in MoH, Torchlight and most importantly in PES 2011.

So went ahead and ordered a 6950 2 GB. Should get here on Monday. Can not wait. :D

knitoe

sh4mike said:
I finished my build and Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium is up and running. What's the simplest way to determine if I hooked my components up correctly and they are performing at an acceptable level? I'd hate to only be using half my RAM or processor speed, for example.

Running a typical i5-2500K, Asus P8P67 Pro, GTX 570, 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM (2x4GB), Noctua NH-D14, and two F3 1TB HDDs within an FT02B-W.
CPU-Z tell your CPU and memory speed. You can benchmark your video card with Futuremark.

CrankyJay said:
My build (primarly for work, some non-serious gaming) so far:

------

2 x 23" ASUS VH236H Monitors
Corsair 600T Case
Corsair 750TX PSU
8GB (2 x 4) 1600 GSkill Ripjaw RAM
LG 22X DVDRW

i5 2500k - $230 (looks like it went up $5 this week)
Thinking of buying my boss's Radeon 4870 for $50 (not huge into PC gaming yet, thought I would try this out first)
Win7 (either $110 or going to ask my neighbor who is in college to get me Win7 Ultimate for $13)

Total: $1185.96 - $1502.96

I also have $120 in Amazon GC to play with so I guess it's a little less.

Your PSU is complete overkill. Look for something in the 500-550W range. Above that is just if you're going crossfire/SLI or doing some tricked out hard drive shit.

CrankyJay

Banned
keeblerdrow said:
Your PSU is complete overkill. Look for something in the 500-550W range. Above that is just if you're going crossfire/SLI or doing some tricked out hard drive shit.

Point taken. I got the PSU for $80...and my intent with this PSU was to future proof in case I decide to start adding more shit.

Welp I spent 1,000 on this computer and I cannot play games for more than 5 minutes before the driver crashes. Card is a 6950. I keep getting "Display driver has stopped working and has recovered" after the screen freezes. Any tips?

Shambles

Mobius1B7R said:
Welp I spent 1,000 on this computer and I cannot play games for more than 5 minutes before the driver crashes. Card is a 6950. I keep getting "Display driver has stopped working and has recovered" after the screen freezes. Any tips?

Uninstall driver, reinstall driver, and if that doesn't help try the card in another machine. If a driver reinstall doesn't work you'll likely have to RMA the card. You could try updating other drivers obtained from the manufacturers website but it's likely the GPU.

knitoe

Mobius1B7R said:
Is your computer overclock? If yes, would be a sign of instability. Try it at stock and see if it persist. If no, try reinstalling MB and video card drivers.

CrankyJay said:
Point taken. I got the PSU for $80...and my intent with this PSU was to future proof in case I decide to start adding more shit.

Mind you, the 550W will be more than sufficient for anything short of 2 video card setups. It is even enough for dropping a top of the line card into your machine.

jiien

Mobius1B7R said:

I just had this happening to me (though with a GTX 460). I eventually RMA'd the card, and have had no problems since. If uninstalling the drivers (make sure to use Drive Sweeper or something) doesn't fix it, I wouldn't even bother wasting more time, and just RMA it (if you're sure that all other components in your computer are good).

TheExodu5

Banned
Mobius1B7R said:
Is your 6950 overclocked or unlocked? Sounds like instability to me. Download Furmark and stress it.

vocab

Mobius1B7R said:

What drivers are you using?

Did you flash it to 6970?

TheExodu5

Banned
mclaren777 said:
That's my case, my motherboard, my HSF, etc.

I wonder how well I would have done in that competition. Hmm...
I swear I don't understand what I just watched. Seemed more like the "how fast can you install two hard drives and a video card" competition.

No skill involved whatsoever.

A good competition would be to give them 15 minutes to do the best they could (from scratch) and have judge pick a winner.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
Mobius1B7R said:

Make sure your drivers aren't 10.12

They are buggy and made my system BSOD randomly.

Emitan

SuperÑ said:

Never got a BSOD on 10.12 but I had major performance hits and dual monitor support was frakked up.

Jin34

mclaren777 said:

I've seen the pics and complaints but they shipped mine well packaged, it was heavily shrink wrapped and was snugly in the middle of 4 airbags (1 on each side). I think the key is to buy it alone, in the all the pics of bad packaging there were other items and they all threw them in the same box without giving a fuck. But I just bought the drive alone and they did a good job.

Raide

Bleh, I think my 8800GT is giving up. Fired up my PC yesterday and my PC won't boot. All I can hear is the GPU Fan going mental.

So I have a 4850 512 mb card, and I'm looking for a good upgrade for $250 or less. What would be the the most bang for the buck? My monitor's native resolution is 2048x1152.

I'm impartial to AMD/Nvidia, I just want to get the smoothest framerates possible with upcoming games like Crysis 2, Shogun 2, Battlefield 3, Witcher 2, etc.

Any idea whether or not I might need a new power supply going from my 4850 to a newer card? I'm not sure what mine is rated, but I'd hazard a guess it's 350w max? Core i7 920, 6 GB RAM, for what it's worth.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
SuperÑ said:

Set pc monitor auto turn off to never.

It's a known issue by some of us :p it'll resolve the BSOD for now.

Dynamic3

I'm going with a 2500k-GTX 560 build.

I need some recommendations for a PSU, CPU cooler, and whatever misc cables and greases or whatever I need.

Will this MB allow me to SLI an additional 560?

Thanks.

Edit: updated the MB link as the one I had was micro ATX.

I've made a negotiation with my parents that they can buy the parts for a new desktop next month but I'll have to wait until near the end of the school year to buy a graphics card capable of playing all of the games I own. Is it better to buy a motherboard with AMD onboard graphics or to buy a separate low-end graphics card for HD video and older games? I have an idea: buy something like a GT 220, buy a motherboard with SLI, and then use a GTX 460 to play games with PhysX handled by the 220? But there's a major problem: I'll probably need an Intel motherboard and the last budget I was considering, $600-650, could only fit an AMD processor. Ideally, I would love to have an i5 2500K CPU and a small SSD for Windows but that would put the final budget near $800. I have two options: 1. Buy an AMD motherboard with onboard graphics and later use the 460 for all gaming purposes (by-bye PhysX), or 2. Coax my parents to raise my budget so I can afford the PC of my dreams? I'll post any possible builds if you need the info, otherwise I need help deciding.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ChoklitReign said:
I've made a negotiation with my parents that they can buy the parts for a new desktop next month but I'll have to wait until near the end of the school year to buy a graphics card capable of playing all of the games I own. Is it better to buy a motherboard with AMD onboard graphics or to buy a separate low-end graphics card for HD video and older games? I have an idea: buy something like a GT 220, buy a motherboard with SLI, and then use a GTX 460 to play games with PhysX handled by the 220? But there's a major problem: I'll probably need an Intel motherboard and the last budget I was considering, $600-650, could only fit an AMD processor. Ideally, I would love to have an i5 2500K CPU and a small SSD for Windows but that would put the final budget near $800. I have two options: 1. Buy an AMD motherboard with onboard graphics and later use the 460 for all gaming purposes (by-bye PhysX), or 2. Coax my parents to raise my budget so I can afford the PC of my dreams? I'll post any possible builds if you need the info, otherwise I need help deciding.
I may be in the minority, but I think SSDs and PhysX are vastly overrated for gaming purposes. I would put the money towards a beefier GPU.

vocab

SapientWolf said:
I may be in the minority, but I think SSDs and PhysX are vastly overrated for gaming purposes. I would put the money towards a beefier GPU.

Physx is a gimmick, and SSD's are only good for OS, and decreasing overall load times on something like WoW. If you are on a budget, an SSD is the last thing you should buy. It's a luxury item. Also, if you plan to only buy an SSD with no storage drive, you will regret spending so much money on such little space.

filipe

vocab said:
Physx is a gimmick, and SSD's are only good for OS, and decreasing overall load times on something like WoW. If you are on a budget, an SSD is the last thing you should buy. It's a luxury item. Also, if you plan to only buy an SSD with no storage drive, you will regret spending so much money on such little space.

This man right here speaks the truth. If you've got the budget and you want some quick OS and Program loads, get one.

I had one for 2 days before I realized it was a complete waste of money, and returned it and got myself a larger HDD.

Gaf -

I have a laptop that I would like to connect two external monitors to. Laptop has HDMI out and VGA out.

Currently it is not letting me extend across 3 monitors.

The laptop has intel i3 integrated graphics.

Is this possible? How?

Anton668

Ok, so my brother in laws puter is dieing/dead.

They mainly use it for facebook and YouTube. I think the "Biggest" game they would play on it would be LOTRO.

So what would be a nice simple setup I can easily talk them into?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom